Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
KrazeeStacee

Question digital camera advice

I'm looking for a digital camera. So far, this one looks like the best for me (Olympus Camedia C-765), does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=2&product=959

Old 12-01-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/z1.html

ive been looking at this one. they're expensive. but on ebay they're a little cheaper. around $250. it depends. but it looks neat.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
KrazeeStacee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by yo soy el mejor
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/z1.html

ive been looking at this one. they're expensive. but on ebay they're a little cheaper. around $250. it depends. but it looks neat.
I have a minolta SLR and I love it, so I'd definitely be alright with buying a Minolta digital. Plus, that looks to be even better than the one I posted for around the same price. The one I posted is about $380.

I might look into that one. Thanks

Except I just saw its 3MP whereas mines 4MP...hmm.

Last edited by KrazeeStacee : 12-01-2004 at 12:30 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
meow
Netflix Me

ohhhh i thought you were going to give us some advice!

Old 12-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
KrazeeStacee

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by meow
ohhhh i thought you were going to give us some advice!
I tried to edit the question mark icon but apparently it didn't work.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/

I picked that up last weekend, and it's great. Best digital I've ever used - better than the Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D1H.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #9
mirrar
Braindead

Red face

yeah i need one of those too. finally.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #10
avian chaos
Braindead

Smile

I have an Olympus C-5050 and it's a dream come true.

Here's a review for it: http://www.photographic.com/digitalcameras/189/
And here's an archive of photos I took with it when I first got it: http://fotos.irondress.net/oly

There's a great review / guide at www.megapixel.net, but I can't link straight to the page 'cause it just redirects you to the main page no matter what. But if you go there, click on reviews, scroll to the bottom and hit Year 2003 and then find Olympus C-5050z... It tells you everything about the camera.

Considering how newish of a model it is, you can get it for surprisingly cheap. When it first came out it was around 800 bucks, but I had absolutely no problem finding many stores online that were selling it for 400.

It's pretty overfeatured with the intention of acting like a real camera, but it still has settings that allow it for super simple point-and-click use, if that's what you need it for.

Oh, and it can focus up to 1.2 inches close with the super macro function, and I think that's pretty fucking awesome!

Whenever these threads pop up I always tout my horn about this camera, and seriously, no one ever listens. It really is the best digital camera in the world.

For god's sake, it has two slots for memory cards and can support up to 4 different types of memory cards. When one fills up you hit one button on the camera and it switches over to the other.

HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Old 12-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Talking

Nice to see I one-upped Kimmy.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:33 PM   #12
avian chaos
Braindead

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by sppunk
Nice to see I one-upped Kimmy.
You did not!

How did you one-up me?

My camera freaking ROCKS, okay?

Old 12-01-2004, 02:35 PM   #13
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally posted by avian chaos
You did not!

How did you one-up me?

My camera freaking ROCKS, okay?
Look at the one I bought.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:41 PM   #14
KrazeeStacee

Talking

Its not like people need to know what I'm doing right now, what I'm listening to right now, or really, who gives a fuck what I'm drinking right now? But we have 15 threads a week about it.

Sorry to clutter up the board though!!! (psh)

Old 12-01-2004, 02:43 PM   #15
KrazeeStacee

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yours is also $800 and there's no way I'm paying $800 for anything that doesn't clean my house for me.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #16
KrazeeStacee

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have an Olympus C-5050 and it's a dream come true.

Here's a review for it: http://www.photographic.com/digitalcameras/189/
And here's an archive of photos I took with it when I first got it: http://fotos.irondress.net/oly

There's a great review / guide at www.megapixel.net, but I can't link straight to the page 'cause it just redirects you to the main page no matter what. But if you go there, click on reviews, scroll to the bottom and hit Year 2003 and then find Olympus C-5050z... It tells you everything about the camera.

Considering how newish of a model it is, you can get it for surprisingly cheap. When it first came out it was around 800 bucks, but I had absolutely no problem finding many stores online that were selling it for 400.

It's pretty overfeatured with the intention of acting like a real camera, but it still has settings that allow it for super simple point-and-click use, if that's what you need it for.

Oh, and it can focus up to 1.2 inches close with the super macro function, and I think that's pretty fucking awesome!

Whenever these threads pop up I always tout my horn about this camera, and seriously, no one ever listens. It really is the best digital camera in the world.

For god's sake, it has two slots for memory cards and can support up to 4 different types of memory cards. When one fills up you hit one button on the camera and it switches over to the other.

HOW COOL IS THAT?!

That sounds like it would be perfect for me. The only thing is the price. My poor Mom is paying for it and I really don't want to break her back over a digital camera...but its not like I should get the cheap version now and the better one later...I might as well just get the better one right away. *sigh* I'll run it by my Mom and see what happens.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #17
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

In digitals, you pay for what you get. If you don't spend much money, you get a shitty point-and-shoot that won't zoom and is completely obsolete after the sun sets. Anything under a semi-SLR digital is a complete waste of money.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #18
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazeeStacee

Yours is also $800 and there's no way I'm paying $800 for anything that doesn't clean my house for me.
kimmys is probably in the $5-600 range.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #19
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

my only advice is to have at the very least 128megs of storage space on your cards if you want to take pics at a 4+ megapixel resolution or you won't be able to store many at all. they make them much bigger than 64 or 128, but i don't know what you can afford, but take that into consideration in pricing. i just have a 32 and a 64 and when i want to take a lot of pics quickly it means i have to take some pics at 1 megapixel to save space on the card, which is kinda lame.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #20
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Quote:
In digitals, you pay for what you get. If you don't spend much money, you get a shitty point-and-shoot that won't zoom and is completely obsolete after the sun sets. Anything under a semi-SLR digital is a complete waste of money.
whatever dude. my camera wasn't a waste of money and i doubt it's whatever you just mentioned. i mean, i would trade mine for yours anyday but you don't need a $500+ camera to take a lot of good pictures. that's MY opinion.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:52 PM   #21
avian chaos
Braindead

Smile

Quote:
Okay, basically here's all that's different than mine:

Yours has 8.0 MP instead of 5.0 MP. Big deal. What do you need with 8.0 MP anyway?! In my opinion, anything more than 4.0 is just excessive.

Your camera's aperature can go down to 2.4, whereas mine can go down to 1.8

Yours has a 58mm lens, mine can only go as far as 35mm without using the tele, but I guess that's why they call your camera the wide zoom, eh? I mean.. Jesus, look at that lens! It's so big and majestic looking.

Your normal focus range is 2.6 ft - infinity, mine is 2.6 ft - infinity. Your macro focus range is 7.9 inches - 31.5 inches, mine is 8 inches - 31 inches. Your super macro focus range is 2.0 inches to ??? mine is 1.2 inches to infinity.

Your camera only supports one type of memory card, my camera supports four types of memory cards and can hold two of them at the same time.

Your camera has a built-in pop up flash, mine has a built in flash with a hotshoe.

So what's the difference? What's the big deal? I don't understand how these cameras can be so similar but be marketed as completely different.

I guess sometimes, when it comes to the company, a camera is a camera is a camera.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:54 PM   #22
avian chaos
Braindead

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis The Fat Years

kimmys is probably in the $5-600 range.
Yeah, I bought mine online (I'll find the website for you if you'd like, Stacey) and with a $50 128MB memory card (It comes with one that's only like 32MB) my total was somewhere around 500 bucks. Not bad considering the camera is a pretty new model and can still be found to be priced at or around $800.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:56 PM   #23
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally posted by pink_ribbon_scars

whatever dude. my camera wasn't a waste of money and i doubt it's whatever you just mentioned. i mean, i would trade mine for yours anyday but you don't need a $500+ camera to take a lot of good pictures. that's MY opinion.
It depends on what you use it for, I guess.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:59 PM   #24
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
This is true to a certain degree...but I do not have to pay $800 for a good camera.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:00 PM   #25
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:

Yours has 8.0 MP instead of 5.0 MP. Big deal. What do you need with 8.0 MP anyway?! In my opinion, anything more than 4.0 is just excessive.
See, megapixels are a deal breaker for me. MP's aren't just about reproduction, at least what I use them for. It's the quality of the compression, et al. Anyway, I want the new Minolta that's coming out in a few months. It looks badass.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:01 PM   #26
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

That fist camera that was posted (the Olympus) is a good camera.

You don't need more than 4 MPs unless you're going to be printing bigger pics, and the amount of optical zoom is nice. Olympus is the brand I've heard the most good things about.

Stay away from Kodak digital cameras. Absolute crap.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:02 PM   #27
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally posted by Tchocky

Stay away from Kodak digital cameras. Absolute crap.
Kodak film sucks these days, too.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #28
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Kodak film sucks these days, too.
Yeah, the pics I took from a costume party a month with a Kodak disposable a month ago didn't exactly come out great.

I can't remember what the speed of the film was.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #29
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

and for gods sake get some rechargeable batteries. those things suck more juice than kristin at a frat party.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #30
avian chaos
Braindead

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis The Fat Years
and for gods sake get some rechargeable batteries. those things suck more juice than kristin at a frat party.
This is SO TRUE.

My camera came with a battery charger and 4 rechargeable batteries. They haven't failed me yet! The few times I've gone out of town, forgot the recharger and had to buy regular batteries, they were sucked dry within an hour. But the rechargeable batteries last for a very, very long time. Up to 300 pictures, I'm told, but I wouldn't know 'cause sometimes I turn my camera on just to fiddle with the settings, etc.