Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Let's talk Jonah Matranga (Far, onelinedrawing, New End Original)

Perhaps another band thread where I'm the only one posting besides one or two other people but I was just curious if there are any fans of Jonah's music here?

Far were from Sacramento and good friends with the Deftones. Still pissed I missed the Deftones, Far and Quicksand tour. Anyway, Far's album Water & Solutions is one of my all time favorite albums. They released a bunch of good music prior to that as well. It was released in the Spring of '98 and by the end of the year the band would break up. Around 1999 Jonah started playing solo as onelinedrawing (huge catalog of great music), eventually dropping that around 2005 to release music and play shows under his full name.

Around 2000-2003 New End Original existed which included Jonah, Norman and Scott from Texas Is The Reason and ex-Chamberlain drummer Charlie. They released one album on Jade Tree in 2001 which although it's not currently in heavy rotation with me I still love it (posted some links in Tyler's thread last night). Saw them in 2001 and it's one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Got to see Jonah in many different incarnations over the years. They were always amazing shows and often emotionally draining in a good way.

I never got to see Far and it's been a while since he stopped through town period but I am excited to see him later this month playing Water & Solutions in it's entirety with a full band. Word is he's also playing some songs from Tin Cans With Strings To You the Far album before W&S as well as his cover of Be Quiet and Drive. There are some videos of him singing it with Chino when they toured together and Jonah can also be heard on the acoustic studio version the Deftones released.

Not to make it all about the Deftones connection because Far and Jonah's music always stood on it's own but another top notch release is Far's Soon EP which features one of my favorite covers. Jonah and Chino trading verses on Jawbox's Savory with Johnny from Far playing guitar and Stef & Abe from the Deftones on their respective instruments. People assumed this was a Deftones track for years and they eventually released it on their 2005 B-Sides & Rarities album.

Well, that's my time. Thanks for the space and thanks for making it all the way down here if you did.

Last edited by MplsTaper : 10-10-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Water & Solutions is an all-time favorite. So well written, performed and produced. A major improvement over Tin Cans, which feels amateurish in retrospect. At Night We Live and the Gratitude album were good if not spectacular. Likewise for New End Original. Onelinedrawing always felt a little limp-wristed to me. Never quite gelled with that material.

Now it's someone else's turn.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Next up: we discuss Quicksand and all its spinoffs.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Of course W&S is in a different league than anything released prior to it. I still appreciate the entire catalog. Much of the onelinedrawing material was recorded diy in his apartment. The live shows were certainly much more powerful.

I like the Gratitude album but those songs had so much more energy live and now I'm repeating myself. Took me a minute to realize they started as The Collision (Mark and Robby from Crumb) but Jonah joined when Robby left and they changed their name. Jeremy is local (and kind of a stuck up ass last I knew) so they probably played here a couple more times than most other cities outside of California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Next up: we discuss Quicksand and all its spinoffs.
I'm down but this will lead me to thinking about the time I was out of town when Quicksand and Glassjaw played here earlier this year and I will turn into Angry Computer Gif. Much respect for Walter.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Oh, I guess we should talk about Black Map. Drummer from Far with guitarist for Dredg. Pretty solid throwback to the Revelation Records glory days.

Then you have Shaun Lopez's offshoot: the kinda okay Revolution Smile. Sounds kinda like a crunchier Foo Fighters. And of course, he also has Crosses with Chino, who are pretty badass by comparison.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I heard about Black Map a year or two ago when I started digging around for intel on dredg making another album. All I could find were tweets from them promoting Black Map so I knew Mark was in the band but I did not realize Chris was as well. Dang. Heard a song or two but I'll go back and check it out. They seem to be constantly touring and unfortunately I think I've passed on a local show. dredg is working on a new album btw. They posted notes/working titles about 3 months ago so maybe 2019.

I always wanted to like Revolution Smile but could never really get into it. Haven't spent much time with the Crosses material but I do like what I've heard.

An English fellow interviewed Jonah when he was there in September (apparently he's playing a ton more shows there in November) and it's a nice interview. Here's an excerpt on what everyone is up to:

Quote:
B.G.M.: As you mentioned at the recent show I saw in Newcastle, the members of Far are currently doing their own things. Would you be able to confirm what the others are currently up to?

JONAH: Shaun is an amazing producer, always running around, so I’m not quite sure. Chris is in a pretty heavy band called Black Map that’s making some noise and travelling around, seems like it’s going well. Johnny still makes music with his wife in a great project called Two Sheds. Everyone seems happy. I’m happy about that.
Yesterday I found this archived radio show from 2011. Jonah talks about Far breaking up for the 2nd time and how they will probably never make music together again mostly having to do with the drama in the band.

https://archive.org/details/JonahMat...Thefive10Radio

Old 10-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

So earlier this week I found out about Water & Solutions: What Happened. I emailed Jonah asking if it was too late to partake and he replied giving me the green light to place an order.

Being extremely excited to hear unreleased demos, b-sides and outtakes from the Water & Solutions sessions I went all in.

Bonus Vinyl Combo
You'll get allll the stuff -- custom shirt, limited vinyl, all the music -- plus an extra-special bonus vinyl full of Far music that I don't want to talk too much about, but I promise it'll be a perfect fit with this project. As with the other vinyl, the pressing will be limited to this project.

INCLUDES:
All The Music
Limited-Edition Vinyl(s)
BONUS Limited Edition Vinyl(s)
Custom T-Shirt(s)
Sweet Lil Memento

There was a FAQ where he addressed 4-5 questions one of them being do the other band members see any $$$? He essentially said yes, he's going to divvy out everyone's share like they used to do back in the day.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #8
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Rival Schools was good IMO

Old 10-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I thought they were decent, but kinda missed the mark for me. Neither of their proper albums really stuck with me the way Quicksand did. However, the Rival Schools United By Onelinedrawing EP was pretty neat.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
So earlier this week I found out about Water & Solutions: What Happened. I emailed Jonah asking if it was too late to partake and he replied giving me the green light to place an order.

Being extremely excited to hear unreleased demos, b-sides and outtakes from the Water & Solutions sessions I went all in.

Bonus Vinyl Combo
You'll get allll the stuff -- custom shirt, limited vinyl, all the music -- plus an extra-special bonus vinyl full of Far music that I don't want to talk too much about, but I promise it'll be a perfect fit with this project. As with the other vinyl, the pressing will be limited to this project.

INCLUDES:
All The Music
Limited-Edition Vinyl(s)
BONUS Limited Edition Vinyl(s)
Custom T-Shirt(s)
Sweet Lil Memento

There was a FAQ where he addressed 4-5 questions one of them being do the other band members see any $$$? He essentially said yes, he's going to divvy out everyone's share like they used to do back in the day.
I missed the boat on this one. Knew about it but kind of forgot to actually put some money down for it. Cool that he let you in so long after the deadline.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Water & Solutions turned 22 today. Jonah posted a live recording from a restaurant in Seattle. I'll just c/p the blog post here. He has always had one of the best screams.

When rumors of aliens were true
When I found out one of them was you
Bought fortunes from carnival seers, saw them through
Soon, a light on...

Stand up, turn and face me
Believe what you believe
Don't just stand (their/there) suffering
Talking about your freedom
Soon, a light on...
Soon my doubles will pull off all of my stunts

Water and solutions
Fires left ablaze, pleasure in the problems
If I could give them all away, what's left for me?
Define G-d is all I want
To treat my love as me

Soon, a light on...

In all the madness, I forgot that today is the 22nd anniversary of an album I was a part of making, called Water & Solutions. Here's me in my little apt. singing the title track into my phone. I'm so happy that I still enjoy the songs sonically, and even moreso lyrically. This song is one of the more obtuse ones. I wasn't sure what it was about when it arrived, and it changes all the time, and it feels real apropos right now. I'm thinking about the crisis of trust, the uneasy future, my (sometimes desperate) yearning for answers and safety, and trying to find the Light in all of it. I guess it's my inspirational apocalypse jam or something. Anyway, I wanted to post this before the day was done. Gonna run to the post office to drop today's orders off. Oh yea, I'm also incredibly grateful not to be on tour right now, and thinking lots about fellow working artists whose lives and livelihoods are feeling pretty fragile right now with all the canceled fests & tours (and of course I think those cancellations are the right thing to do). Please support them, please support me, please support each other.

ps - The pic is from a sweet lil bday show I flew up to Seattle for this past weekend. We rocked in a restaurant. I've known Erik for 20-ish years through the music, and it was great to see him, and be with his friends & family who braved the virus risks responsibly to spend some time together. This was one of the songs he really wanted to hear, and it felt great to sing it there, and it did just now, and as long as it keeps feeling right, I'll keep singing it. Thanks forever for listening & caring.

https://jonahmatranga.com/blogs/last...KpHRFmH5ozkzIA

Old 03-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Feels kinda sad that homeboy is just karaoking this shit on an annual basis now. I don't understand how things are so bad between the dudes that a Far reunion can't be ironed out. Then again, maybe there's just zero money/interest.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:25 PM   #13
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I love that album

Old 03-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #14
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Albums

Old 03-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #15
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Never really checked out the other 2 albums. Walter, I am sorry!

Also, Ian Love is great. He's worked with Jonah on a ton of stuff.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #16
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

MIA: Rival Schools Green Is Good
MIA: Rival Schools Take One For The Team

MIA: Rival Schools Contraire

I guess Rival Schools doesn't want you to hear their songs from this split unless you have a CD copy. I do but I have no idea where it is. Be Real was my favorite track along with either the first or second Rival Schools track but I don't remember which one and cannot find it on youtube or bandcamp to jog my memory.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #17
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I have that CD still. I love that it's like all of 12 minutes long. Wish we got more of that stuff.