Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default The new tour will only feature music from the bands original run

Man, Billy really is doing the full sell out thing hey? I at least thought they'd have some of the material that he and Jimmy have been working on in the sets in order to dismiss it from being a total nostalgia jaunt.

Hey, I can't complain, that sounds pretty awesome. But I would have liked to hear some of the new material that they've been working on. Something to add a little new energy amidst the songs we've all heard a million times before.

When Guns N Roses did their massive tour, Axl still insisted on playing a chunk of Chinese Democracy songs in order to properly represent that period of the bands history.... Now I'm not saying I or anyone else for that matter wanna hear any Teargarden or Oceania songs... It's just a little funny that this new tour is going to be more of a sellout than what Axl Rose would allow.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Ram27
dumb

I would want to hear Jimbo on Oceania/Teargarden stuff though

Old 02-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Man, Billy really is doing the full sell out thing hey? I at least thought they'd have some of the material that he and Jimmy have been working on in the sets in order to dismiss it from being a total nostalgia jaunt.

"We almost immediately started talking about a reunion, because he said to me: ‘Well, maybe you know, and maybe you don’t, but with this wrestling thing I kind of got myself a bit into a bit of a hole.’ That was one of the first things he said to me, it was like the second conversation we had"

Old 02-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd be really interested to hear Jimmy playing Quasar and Panopticon, but that's about it from the years he missed.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Ehh, I'm happy to be done with it. Even with the sub-par drumming, the songs themselves weren't very interesting... Perhaps the one song I'd like to see reworked with Jimmy would be the title cut... That song had potential, and then Billy fades out and ends the song right when it sounds like it's about to get good

Old 02-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Axl probably had more leverage than Billy. If James or Jimmy told Billy to fuck off he was totally fucked.

Slash had just gone through a divorce and needed the money.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
"We almost immediately started talking about a reunion, because he said to me: ‘Well, maybe you know, and maybe you don’t, but with this wrestling thing I kind of got myself a bit into a bit of a hole.’ That was one of the first things he said to me, it was like the second conversation we had"
How much money could he have really lost though? It can't be more than 2 or 3 million, could it?... Even then, wasn't his net worth reported to be around 50 million? Even if that was off and he only had 40 million and lost 2 million, it's still a piss in the pond for him... Not to mention that his baby-mama has to be absolutely loaded due to the CRAZY wealth her parents have.

I get the feeling that Corgan is just really frugal, and the reality of losing a few million probably drives him up the wall. I remember reading his Everything To Here And There blog and he had this anecdote where he was dealing with an instrument store and he sounded super frugal.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
How much money could he have really lost though? It can't be more than 2 or 3 million, could it?... Even then, wasn't his net worth reported to be around 50 million? Even if that was off and he only had 40 million and lost 2 million, it's still a piss in the pond for him... Not to mention that his baby-mama has to be absolutely loaded due to the CRAZY wealth her parents have.

I get the feeling that Corgan is just really frugal, and the reality of losing a few million probably drives him up the wall. I remember reading his Everything To Here And There blog and he had this anecdote where he was dealing with an instrument store and he sounded super frugal.
Billy started talking to D'arcy again in summer 2016, so if it's true he said that, this is when he had just loaned TNA a couple million dollars and was named President of the company because of it, so it would be accurate. At this point though it looked like he was going to become the sole owner, which would mean that money would stay in the red and he'd have to dump even more money into it.

Billy had a clause in his loan/deal that was supposed to give him ownership if they defaulted on the loan, but TNA actually put that into their contract with him because they knew it wasn't legal in the state of Tennessee, so when he attempted to enact it they got into a nasty legal battle suing each other. During this process TNA got sold to a company called Anthem and he didn't end up getting it, but Anthem paid him back the couple million he put into it.

Based on that he should have gotten the money back by late 2016, but circumstances were different when he spoke to D'arcy in the summer. I'm sure he wasted a fair amount of money though on lawyers. He also bought the NWA name in 2017, but I highly doubt that cost more than six figures. If he actually turns this NWA into a real company though he'll probably lose millions.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

No way, so he actually did get the initial investment back then? That's interesting to know. I've never thought Billy to be the kinda guy to sell out solely because of money, it just doesn't seem in his DNA. To me it seems like he's chasing the dragon of being relevant again. That to me strikes me as much more important to him than any money he might wrangle in. After all, he did put up a good 8-9 years or so of doing things fairly DIY that most previously big bands wouldn't try.

It's kinda sad that he's given up. But hey, he's 50 now... It'll be great to see him with Iha and Jimmy rocking out the songs that built their careers.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

miami date started getting advertised to me today on spotify. in the past 2 hours i've heard the ad 4 times. it mentions the 5 albums by name

looks like they got some money pumped into this shit

Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #11
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

The only SP2 album I've heard start to finish is Zeitgeist. I tried (for maybe the 4th time now?) to listen to Oceania a few weeks ago. The drums are hideous. The guitars on Quasar sound like Creed.

I'm just like Sell! Out!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
No way, so he actually did get the initial investment back then? That's interesting to know. I've never thought Billy to be the kinda guy to sell out solely because of money, it just doesn't seem in his DNA. To me it seems like he's chasing the dragon of being relevant again. That to me strikes me as much more important to him than any money he might wrangle in. After all, he did put up a good 8-9 years or so of doing things fairly DIY that most previously big bands wouldn't try.

It's kinda sad that he's given up. But hey, he's 50 now... It'll be great to see him with Iha and Jimmy rocking out the songs that built their careers.
I'm sure money definitely plays a big role in the tour, but even going by the Billy/D'arcy texts, he seems to really want to make the Pumpkins prominent again.

A nostalgia based tour, if done well, with most of the original lineup can re-establish the band and make them a highly respected legend act. People will walk out of the show and want to see the band again and see it as the legitimate Smashing Pumpkins, unlike on past tours. Whatever new material they put out to go along with the tour is going to be treated with more respect/attention than anything he's put out in a decade.

I also think he shit on the idea of embracing the past because he was on such bad terms with James and even Jimmy for several years. Not that I think the Zeitgeist tour would have been all hits if James was there, but the overall feel and perception of the band would have been way different.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Lightbulb

Quote:
like Spangled and Wildflower??

Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 AM   #14
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
he had this anecdote where he was dealing with an instrument store and he sounded super frugal.
That story make you think Billy "the kids are too loud" Corgan is frugal? Remember that time he stayed at a hotel and the kids were too loud and the manager only gave him a 70$ refund?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:54 AM   #15
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerVelvetSpleen View Post
The only SP2 album I've heard start to finish is Zeitgeist. I tried (for maybe the 4th time now?) to listen to Oceania a few weeks ago. The drums are hideous. The guitars on Quasar sound like Creed.

I'm just like Sell! Out!
I donated Oceania to a charity shop. I still feel bad.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:04 AM   #16
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
Remember that time he stayed at a hotel and the kids were too loud and the manager only gave him a 70$ refund?
i don't remember. what was this?

Old 02-19-2018, 04:42 AM   #17
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywontyoulistn View Post
I donated Oceania to a charity shop. I still feel bad.
You didn't have to buy it at all.
Billy was stupid enough to post each song of the record on the Pumpkins YouTube channel, the easiest source to ripp music in the internet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoaZ...AC3E75CD868726

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 02-19-2018 at 05:01 AM.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 AM   #18
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
i don't remember. what was this?
William P.'s First Class problems. In this hotel he should have paid more money, for laying with his shoes on the bed.

First-world problems: so, I had to move hotels today and in a sentimental fashion I chose to stay somewhere I haven't stayed at in 20 years, despite having heard the place had seen better days. So far, hallways are dirty with torn wallpaper, the bathroom in the room was not freshly clean (I will spare you the how and wherefores), there appears to be a mysterious gelatinous substance on the worn nightstand just next to me not doused by a maid, the windows won't close fully despite there being an outdoor night club just 30 feet away (the handles apparently have been sheared off of various metal frames), and my trendy orange key stopped working (I've only been here a few hours) to which I had to go downstairs twice to present my dilemma. To this hotel's credit, they did offer to move me to another room but being superstitious I declined figuring the next destination would be worse. Which reminds me of a recent story, wherein @lindastrawberry and I were working with @howardwilling_thebear in Nashville and staying at a fancy new-new hotel. In that, we were assaulted for 48 hours plus by a raging party so loud Linda could hear it in her room and she had the room next to mine, which given my close proximity to the revelers afforded me clear access to their mendacious screaming and throwing of furniture; all fueled by some illicit benzedrine as best I could gather. The coup de grace being the rascals trying to entrap Linda in her room by placing a bed (tipped on it's side) in front of her door. Our many complaints down would go unheeded, and the party was never shut down, and when I spoke to the true manager of the joint she said she'd heard of some incidents but no employee had written anything down so as to not be culpable over the weekend. So she'd have to take my word for it. 'What can I do,' she asked in tone that said there be little culpability. I said I didn't need a free bottle of wine, but the lack of security was quite troubling. The rest being up to her. But when I got the bill on check-out I saw her professional response. A $75 credit against my 7,000$ bill. So like I said, first-world problems. I've stayed in worse, and I've certainly stayed in better,amen

Ein Beitrag geteilt von WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) am

williampcorgan
First-world problems: so, I had to move hotels today and in a sentimental fashion I chose to stay somewhere I haven't stayed at in 20 years, despite having heard the place had seen better days. So far, hallways are dirty with torn wallpaper, the bathroom in the room was not freshly clean (I will spare you the how and wherefores), there appears to be a mysterious gelatinous substance on the worn nightstand just next to me not doused by a maid, the windows won't close fully despite there being an outdoor night club just 30 feet away (the handles apparently have been sheared off of various metal frames), and my trendy orange key stopped working (I've only been here a few hours) to which I had to go downstairs twice to present my dilemma. To this hotel's credit, they did offer to move me to another room but being superstitious I declined figuring the next destination would be worse. Which reminds me of a recent story, wherein @lindastrawberry and I were working with @howardwilling_thebear in Nashville and staying at a fancy new-new hotel. In that, we were assaulted for 48 hours plus by a raging party so loud Linda could hear it in her room and she had the room next to mine, which given my close proximity to the revelers afforded me clear access to their mendacious screaming and throwing of furniture; all fueled by some illicit benzedrine as best I could gather. The coup de grace being the rascals trying to entrap Linda in her room by placing a bed (tipped on it's side) in front of her door. Our many complaints down would go unheeded, and the party was never shut down, and when I spoke to the true manager of the joint she said she'd heard of some incidents but no employee had written anything down so as to not be culpable over the weekend. So she'd have to take my word for it. 'What can I do,' she asked in tone that said there be little culpability. I said I didn't need a free bottle of wine, but the lack of security was quite troubling. The rest being up to her. But when I got the bill on check-out I saw her professional response. A $75 credit against my 7,000$ bill. So like I said, first-world problems. I've stayed in worse, and I've certainly stayed in better,amen

Old 02-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #19
Try Try Give Up
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
First-world problems: so, I had to move hotels today and in a sentimental fashion I chose to stay somewhere I haven't stayed at in 20 years, despite having heard the place had seen better days. So far, hallways are dirty with torn wallpaper, the bathroom in the room was not freshly clean...
Is it supposed to read like a metaphor for the SP reunion?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #20
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Lol mendacious screaming

Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #21
shadow47
Demi-God

Let's not forget Mr. C also had a big online guitar sale, some of which were priced at *cringe* a cool mil. His whole "I just want this gear out there" story was obvious bullcrap.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #22
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Remember him selling Today to Visa?

http://rs136.pbsrc.com/albums/q181/f...h=480&fit=clip

Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #23
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Billy was stupid enough to post each song of the record on the Pumpkins YouTube channel, the easiest source to ripp music in the internet...

If you’re going to the hassle of doing that why not just d’l a 320 ot FLAC torrent?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #24
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
like Spangled and Wildflower??
Lightning Strikes, Freak, Tom Tom, Inkless etc

Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #25
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Remember him selling Today to Visa?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #26
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post

Hey, I wanted to support the band. I also bought Zeitgeist (purple edition). They actually sent me a standard red copy, but told me to keep it and sent out the purple copy as well. I gave the red version to a friend. We're not friends anymore.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #28
Ram27
dumb

the fact that that's so literally and figuratively commercial is really disgusting to me for some reason

Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #29
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Quote:
Why, Ram?
What could he possibly play to on songs like Widow and Astral planes?
Ya'll cray

Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #30
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy whining to Darcy about losing money in their second conversation in 15+ years was one of the most egregiously offensive things brought to light in Darcy's interview with Alternative Nation. Billy is the sole songwriter on 99% of SP's back catalogue which has been generating untold millions in mechanical royalties since the early 90s and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Just from those monies alone, one could modestly estimate that Billy is a multi millionaire. And that's to say nothing of all the touring and licensing that Billy has been doing throughout the 2000s, his signature guitar deals with multiple guitar companies, the money he has generated by selling off his old instruments, whatever real estate assets he has (in interviews he has alluded to owning multiple properties), etc, etc

There's no way in hell that Darcy has been living that comfortably off of her tenure in the Pumpkins or from any of her business ventures since that time. For Billy to mouth off to her about needing money as one of his first conversations with her after bad mouthing her in the press for 15 years, and apparently subjecting her to a lot of abuse in the 90s...it's literally Trump level arrogance and douche baggery. Fuck this guy