Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #31
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Avvways rules. STFU!

They are a bad Camera Obscura rip-off. And Camera Obscura sucks too.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #32
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post

Old 10-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #33
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Is that a reaction to that awful song? It can get worse

Old 10-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #34
Ram27
dumb

that's one of my favorite live vids ever

such a dreamy rendition

Old 10-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #35
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I don’t know much Camera Obscura, but they have at least 4 great songs, so no.

Plus

[/quote]

Old 10-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #36
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
yea it's absolutely ridiculous.

instead of playing music they like, they see themselves as a band on a mission. always trying to compete, stay relevant, and push the envelope.
THEY are trying to see this music as this alien futuristic music from way out of left field that's gonna surprise and amaze people lol

in reality it's just generic and homogenous electro/new-wavesque music that does an exceedingly brilliant job in completely cancelling out each of the band members' unique respective strengths and talents.
Yeah this is a misfire in pretty much every way. Billy thinks he’s being new and innovative, but this just sounds like The Future Embrace (only shittier and with more sodium! Sweet Jesus!). And the other band members feel like they’re barely being utilized. I’ve only listened to these songs a few times but I’m not hearing anything interesting from Jimmy or James. And even Billy’s vocals sound weaker than usual.

Oh well. At least we got to see Jimmy do the whitest dance moves the world has ever seen. I guess you can be a great drummer and yet somehow not have any rhythm.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #37
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Commented this in the SP Facebook, but it only got one like
man that is rough

Old 10-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #38
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I think he'll just continue making awful music until netphoria finally ceases to exist, and then one more good album after that

Old 10-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #39
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Yeah, its been over for a really long time now. Just the way it goes, too much fame and fortune can make you lethargic and complacent and that has definitely happened to SP. There's some decent songs in SP2 but it was immediately clear in 2007 that they weren't the band they were, and anytime it looks like the new band may have found a direction with some potential then Billy refuses to pursue it or give new lineups time to gel. The reunion tour was a solid product with some sincere effort put in, but there was certainly nothing natural about it. Billy has tricked himself into thinking he's this great countercultural figure but that's all in his mind, people like him because he's a kid from Chicago who rocks out with sincerity and that is it.

Yeah, you can chalk it up to age and family, but at the end of the day that's only so much of an excuse. Hum's new album is great and they're all the same age as SP, have families, and actually have day jobs. The drummer Brian St. Pere was interviewed recently, and he said he would make the drive from Indiana to Champaign-Urbana to record on weekends. They haven't been spoiled by too much success and are still capable of making good music. SP is a different story, and while the days of SD and MCIS were incredible and mythic, at the end of the day there's a tradeoff.

SP put out an incredible amount of great music and more than anyone could really ask for. You guys may have heard all those b-sides on the reissues before, but I hadn't, so for me the last ten years I've still gotten to discover some of the best sp material I've ever heard.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #40
memories_unwind
František`s mate

Good to pop in here instead of believing all the Facebook praise before actually giving the new stuff a listen. I guess I`ll feed my fish instead. Thanks guys.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #41
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

your turtle can go without food for longer periods?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #42
memories_unwind
František`s mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
your turtle can go without food for longer periods?
You`re confusing me with my mate František who - as the owner of the Sportovni Hala in Prague - played a crucial role in leaking SP`s setlist on their European tour in 2008. He used to have one turtle but unfortunately it has already passed. I`ve been thinking about getting turtles for quite some time now but always refute the idea, don`t know why. Maybe it`s because I really like fish.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #43
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Is that a reaction to that awful song? It can get worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
that's one of my favorite live vids ever

such a dreamy rendition
Woah yeah that is so nice and so breezy. What a killer song, one of the best all time. Where should one start with Alvvays Ram

Oh and god bless u for posting ForgChi!

Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #44
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by memories_unwind View Post
You`re confusing me with my mate František who - as the owner of the Sportovni Hala in Prague - played a crucial role in leaking SP`s setlist on their European tour in 2008. He used to have one turtle but unfortunately it has already passed. I`ve been thinking about getting turtles for quite some time now but always refute the idea, don`t know why. Maybe it`s because I really like fish.
I thought they never died? my friend has a turtle that has been in the family since humanity was still hunting/gathering on the plains of north east Africa

you can't get turtles here anymore, not legally anyway, how about in germ any?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #45
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, turtles live forever. I have one who is so old that he remembers the last time the Pumpkins released an album that sold more than 15 copies.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #46
memories_unwind
František`s mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
I thought they never died? my friend has a turtle that has been in the family since humanity was still hunting/gathering on the plains of north east Africa

you can't get turtles here anymore, not legally anyway, how about in germ any?
František`s turtle had a bad infection at its foot and they had to put it down. František isolated himself for a long time and hardly booked any gigs for the Sportovni Hala but after some time of grieving, he came around.
Turtles can be obtained legally here from certified breeders.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #47
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Unhappy

aw

finally the sad explanation to the 'how's the foot of your turtle' thing

Old 10-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #48
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Woah yeah that is so nice and so breezy. What a killer song, one of the best all time. Where should one start with Alvvays Ram

Oh and god bless u for posting ForgChi!

very shoegaze

p breezy

Old 10-19-2020, 02:02 AM   #49
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Why are all people on ig and fb so overwhelmed by the new stuff?

There is no negative comment on ig, except mine,but i guess i will get blocked again soon....

Old 10-19-2020, 02:30 AM   #50
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Probably deleting negative comments or paid for positive comments or the fact it's unchallenging music for simpletons.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #51
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Probably deleting negative comments or paid for positive comments or the fact it's unchallenging music for simpletons.
He says “tangents vex the whorl” tho, doesn’t he

Which requires book learnin to even know the words. Let alone before u can begin to let go enough that the gloriful meaning will begin to sleep slowly into and thru your membranes, for that u will need to graduate the awful school of u guessed it life, my friend

Old 10-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #52
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
yea it's absolutely ridiculous.

instead of playing music they like, they see themselves as a band on a mission. always trying to compete, stay relevant, and push the envelope.
THEY are trying to see this music as this alien futuristic music from way out of left field that's gonna surprise and amaze people lol

in reality it's just generic and homogenous electro/new-wavesque music that does an exceedingly brilliant job in completely cancelling out each of the band members' unique respective strengths and talents.
Who in gods name think they are relevant today?
Completely destroying their legacy with these 6 tracks.

Cyr is so bland and repetitivr
Bir h is boring
Dopa ok
Wrath is embarrassing
Col is ok
Anno sounds like mina loy

Does bully really think that these songs are great? Radio friendly?

I had high hopes after scheissi1, but instantly knew after i had cyr cyr, that the new direction sux balls.

I am out. Bolly wont see a cent

Old 10-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #53
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I don’t know much Camera Obscura, but they have at least 4 great songs, so no.

Plus

[/quote]

Frightened Rabbit is amazing

I approve

Old 10-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #54
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Old hat ff

Old 10-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #55
dustrocck
Demi-God

Certainly the prospect of Machina Reissue is the main draw for me at this point.

I have to admit I will listen to all 20 songs of Cyr when it is released in the hopes that there's 1-3 good SP songs in there. Thinking of the days where I'd like 15-16 out of any 20 SP songs that's pretty sad but here we are.

But if 20 songs are all duds, i think that's it for me beyond Machina reissue.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #56
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
Certainly the prospect of Machina Reissue is the main draw for me at this point.

I have to admit I will listen to all 20 songs of Cyr when it is released in the hopes that there's 1-3 good SP songs in there. Thinking of the days where I'd like 15-16 out of any 20 SP songs that's pretty sad but here we are.

But if 20 songs are all duds, i think that's it for me beyond Machina reissue.
i think this is essentially the modern-day "Bully Blueprint" rolling out successfully

Old 10-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #57
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

My feelings on these songs are complicated.. I can't decide if they're crap or great. Which is more than can be said about the last few records which were always solidly "ok I guess".

This future plastic soul thing. I get it but I'm not sure if they've pulled it off.

It's a really weird for them to do such a vocal driven record. It needed a better vocalist/lyricist. He does ok and the melodies are some of his best but he's not expressive or sexy enough to really pull it off. I can't work out if that's the point though?

Why write low effort/last minute (by his own admission) lyrics on an album that's all about the vocals?

I get the asceticism thing and their need to not repeat themselves or do typical "Smashing Pumpkins" things but every song could be objectively better with some fuzz guitar, a solo, something from Jimmy, etc.

It's surprisingly engaging if you give it your full, undivided attention.

I think it's another "spiteful" joke record, like MTAE. MTAE was the joke in itself while this one's the punchline to a joke setup by the 3/4 reunion, SAOSB tour, SAOSBV1NPNFNS, I got my guitar back, we're going to do a hard rocking tour, etc..

Old 10-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #58
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
My feelings on these songs are complicated.. I can't decide if they're crap or great. Which is more than can be said about the last few records which were always solidly "ok I guess".

This future plastic soul thing. I get it but I'm not sure if they've pulled it off.

It's a really weird for them to do such a vocal driven record. It needed a better vocalist/lyricist. He does ok and the melodies are some of his best but he's not expressive or sexy enough to really pull it off. I can't work out if that's the point though?

Why write low effort/last minute (by his own admission) lyrics on an album that's all about the vocals?

I get the asceticism thing and their need to not repeat themselves or do typical "Smashing Pumpkins" things but every song could be objectively better with some fuzz guitar, a solo, something from Jimmy, etc.

It's surprisingly engaging if you give it your full, undivided attention.

I think it's another "spiteful" joke record, like MTAE. MTAE was the joke in itself while this one's the punchline to a joke setup by the 3/4 reunion, SAOSB tour, SAOSBV1NPNFNS, I got my guitar back, we're going to do a hard rocking tour, etc..
Great that you’re willing to put so much effort into understanding this for us. We appreciate your listens. Anything u can learn or suss out, let’s share it. Thank you everyone. Don’t give up. Lord knows we need all the help we can get, during these challenging times,

Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #59
dustrocck
Demi-God

I guess the problem I have is that Billy doesn't really seem to have a deep and intimate knowledge of how to write and build using synths, certainly not in the way that bands like Depeche Mode or Phantogram (somebody mentioned a while back) do.

Even if he's trying to go for some kind of New Order type sound, it's funny to me listening to Gorillaz's "Aries" and yes obviously Peter Hook is directly playing on that but Damon Albarn seems to have a much better idea on how to play with pop sounds, and a large part of that is through collaboration.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #60
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
I guess the problem I have is that Billy doesn't really seem to have a deep and intimate knowledge of how to write and build using synths, certainly not in the way that bands like Depeche Mode or Phantogram (somebody mentioned a while back) do.

Even if he's trying to go for some kind of New Order type sound, it's funny to me listening to Gorillaz's "Aries" and yes obviously Peter Hook is directly playing on that but Damon Albarn seems to have a much better idea on how to play with pop sounds, and a large part of that is through collaboration.
The synths aren't really the point. I feel that the music on these songs is very much supposed to be "background" music. Cold, simple. Repetition as discipline. Everything of interest is in the vocal melodies and arrangements.

Whether that works or not is another thing entirely but this doesn't sound like Depeche Mode or Phantogram because it's not supposed to. Nearest thing I can think of is it's supposed to sound like Hall & Oates or Young American by way of Elvis Presleys fat years.