Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #61
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

They just make it so difficult. Like, I'm not even that critical. I'm happy to sit back and enjoy Cyr regardless of if its Siamese Dream, but all this stuff about playing characters, provoking people, whatever the hell transmutation is, I just can't stand it. Why can't they just be cool and tell some funny stories about recording the album. They come across extremely arrogant

Old 10-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #62
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
I like Jimmy, but deliniation, languaging, transmutation, alchemy, fucking hell is he desperately trying to sound like he has something relevant to say. So Jimmy, tell me about the languaging on Shiny and Cyr.
He’s been like that for a while. Back when he was doing his marketing for that video concert platform that he was the CEO of. He sounded like some Tony Robbins brainwashed motivational speaker, “you’ve got to mortgage your blah blah and leverage your blah blah blah”. Jimmy is a good guy but he seems a bit permafried.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #63
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Jimmy is becoming equally as annoying at Bill. His 5 minute run as a Small Tech CEO ruined his perception of what people are interested to hear from people.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #64
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
And extremely pretentious.
Yep, no about it.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #65
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
And extremely pretentious.
and a bunch of old washed up guys in their 50s who were cool and relatable in the 1990s but not anymore

Old 10-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #66
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
and a bunch of old washed up guys in their 50s who were cool and relatable in the 1990s but not anymore
Totally True

Old 10-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #67
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Billy should go back to delivering pizzas for a while so he can get his head right

Old 10-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #68
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Chamberlin has been into the New Age shit for a while now. Probably common amongst ex-addicts who attribute their recovery to a higher power or becoming "spiritually in tune" with what the universe is telling them and their chakras or whatever.

He's just never come across as annoying as Corgan is about it, because he isn't smarmily preaching about positivity and healing and vibrations while simultaneously being a negative, grudge-bearing, thin-skinned asshole. It comes across as far less disingenuous when he does it because Chamberlin genuinely comes across as a nice guy.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #69
Ram27
dumb

+++++++++++

jimmy was able to stay clean cause he's a driven, meticulous person. the whole NA faux-spiritual stuff creeps me the fuck out

he's nowhere the level of malignant like corgan. rather, he isn't malignant. he's just...into shit that's...eugh

Old 10-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #70
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
Jimmy is becoming equally as annoying at Bill. His 5 minute run as a Small Tech CEO ruined his perception of what people are interested to hear from people.
lollll

he sort of gives the same interview every time. bill is fucking insane and mean but at least it's interesting. it's biden vs trump

Old 10-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #71
O'Doyle Rules
Demi-God

Is Jimmy in a cult?

Old 10-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #72
pinetree
Ownz

james probably thinks they're both weird as fuck but he does the bare minimum to get that sweet paycheck

Old 10-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #73
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Yeah, definitely seems like an odd situation for James.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #74
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

you need an excel sheet for all that was wrong with this interview. Just a few additional thoughts

-Billy said something like you need to maintain huge levels of success to get where they are now, but we all know that only reason why SP is still profitable because of music that was made at least 25 years ago.

-Billy patting himself on the back for getting to "the top" with Mellon Collie and acting like they were so amazingly successful that there was no where to go. Like, dude, you can always get better and its hypocritical to judge anyone off of popularity and sales. You only complained about Mariah Carey and Celine Dion a million times.

Last edited by GreenDogGlynis : 10-25-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #75
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Someone on twitter told me SP was just lucky they had a good producer and there were 20 bands like them in Chicago at the time. When I asked them what bands ever sounded like MCIS, they asked if I lived in Chicago at the time and told me to “look it up”. Lol. Every time someone has given me a band that supposedly sounds like SP I don’t hear it. Except Feeder who ripped them off and even so sounded only like a weak version of SD.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #76
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I certainly wouldn't call SP lucky. Their music was legitimately great. There was some luck that they came along at the right time so they could really cash in but that's whatever. SP owes a lot to MBV and probably Ride as well but they were always their own band with their own sound. They just act so whacky now. I was listening to the MCIS radio interviews on YouTube last week and its unbelievable that it's the same people

Old 10-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #77
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Although in retrospect it is very clear how important Vig, Flood, and Moulder were

Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #78
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Why can't they just be cool and tell some funny stories about recording the album. They come across extremely arrogant
This is p accurate. I'm about 40 minutes in and by FAR the most memorable part so far was the story about throwing the guitar at the amp during An Ode to No One. Just those fun little tidbits about the recording of an album we all love is 24k gold.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #79
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't call SP lucky. Their music was legitimately great. There was some luck that they came along at the right time so they could really cash in but that's whatever. SP owes a lot to MBV and probably Ride as well but they were always their own band with their own sound. They just act so whacky now. I was listening to the MCIS radio interviews on YouTube last week and its unbelievable that it's the same people
Sure their early sound owes plenty to MBV (and they started out sounding a TON like
The Cure) but I think Billy found something really unique with a lot of the stuff on MCIS.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #80
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
Sure their early sound owes plenty to MBV (and they started out sounding a TON like
The Cure) but I think Billy found something really unique with a lot of the stuff on MCIS.
Oh yeah, no doubts about that here. SP albums stand completely on their own. Everyone has their influences and that's totally cool.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #81
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
This is p accurate. I'm about 40 minutes in and by FAR the most memorable part so far was the story about throwing the guitar at the amp during An Ode to No One. Just those fun little tidbits about the recording of an album we all love is 24k gold.
Yeah, that's what everyone wants to hear. Back in 2014, they did an In Utero retrospective with Novoselic and Grohl and it was great to hear them recount their memories of the recording and everything surrounding it.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #82
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Oh yeah, no doubts about that here. SP albums stand completely on their own. Everyone has their influences and that's totally cool.
I probably have asked you before, but are you a fan of the band Red Red Meat or just the SP song named after their late bassist Glynis Johnson?

Old 10-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #83
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah, that's what everyone wants to hear. Back in 2014, they did an In Utero retrospective with Novoselic and Grohl and it was great to hear them recount their memories of the recording and everything surrounding it.
Do they mention D’Arcy or is Billy still too butthurt to acknowledge her existence?

Old 10-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #84
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
I probably have asked you before, but are you a fan of the band Red Red Meat or just the SP song named after their late bassist Glynis Johnson?
Fan of the song but actually downloaded a few Red, Red Meat albums this week

Old 10-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #85
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Do they mention D’Arcy or is Billy still too butthurt to acknowledge her existence?
She doesn't get mentioned a lot. However, as weird as this interview was it probably improved in terms of D'arcy but kind of in a broad sense. They do make it clear that on MCIS they really wanted to capture the sound of band (assuming this meant D'arcy and James would play more on album, as we know they ended up doing),and they felt that was a key element missing from SD. Billy does say something along the lines of SP couldn't have happened without the all four members. On more of a side note, Jimmy says they used a can of her hairspray, some rusty scissors, and a bottle of Tylenol to make up the rhythm sounds on Cupid de Locke.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #86
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

At least they’re mentioning her I guess. Not that I think Jimmy has an insane grudge against her but we all know Willy does. I just want to see all 4 of them live even ONE time before I die. I have a while at least being 28. I hope SP all live a while too.

Good call on downloading RRM, I enjoyed their stuff. Nice and bluesy.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #87
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Maybe they will but I don't know, they were a great band from 1988-2000. They could reunite but it wouldn't be the same

Old 10-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #88
Ram27
dumb

My least favorite thing is talking about success or the industry climate or the music scene or C random band you've never heard of

Give me 80 more Cupid anecdotes instead of this high school drama horseshit

Old 10-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #89
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

yeah, it's beyond exhausting to hear these guys pat themselves on the back. Then to add this whole we were playing characters and messing with your mind layer on top makes listening to them downright unbearable

Old 10-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #90
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I don’t understand why Corgan always talks about it like a business

I know IT IS, but make it a little less obvious your entire goal was to sell records

I walked down the aisle to Tonight Tonight and the more he talks about the “business” makes me feel gross that like, takes away from the importance of the lyrics