Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #31
ilikeplanets
Braindead

no, cancelled is slapping hard and coming for blood.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #32
ilikeplanets
Braindead

don't be salty bout the teen slang of the day, it's lit. don't sleep on it.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #33
ilikeplanets
Braindead

#stanloona

Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #34
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

John Lennon abused women 60 years ago and he's still not cancelled. I'm waiting for the HBO documentary though

Old 03-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #35
redbreegull

but in seriousness, one thing I have a hard time with is like... so R Kelly, Ryan Adams, and MJ are having their albums pulled from stores and dropped from airplay. Is it just because they are in the news right now? It does make the public's attitude seem incredibly fickle and based more on social pressure to look like you are doing the correct thing than on a real dedication to consistent morality. When will Led Zeppelin and David Bowie albums be pulled because Page and Bowie committed statutory rape against teenage girls? When will people #cancel Chuck Berry for putting cameras in women's bathrooms? When will sports events stop playing that song by convicted pedophile Gary Glitter?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #36
redbreegull

which is not to say I think people shouldn't care. I'm glad people care and are more aware. But I think we have some social issues with applying this morality evenly, or else we haven't really figured out what an appropriate response for us is when a beloved public figure is found to have done heinous things

Old 03-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #37
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Pulling records from shelves or songs from the air is just companies cynically looking to avoid copping bad publicity for being seen to benefit from those society is at least apparently in the process of rejecting, let's face it.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #38
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's Tiger Woods losing a Gatorade sponsorship for cheating on his wife.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #39
yo soy el mejor

let's dox MJ

Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #40
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Currently swatting his grave

Old 03-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #41
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
So no one should say anything now because people didn't do anything before?
What is this logic? What is the point you're trying to make?

So you guys think criticism and holding people accountable is only valid if there's purity of intention and is done in a well defined time frame, and who gets to pick what is the right time and reason to say anything? you?
I'm not picking anything, just venting. Feel what you want. I just think it's kind of dopey in 2019 to be all "Whaaaaat???!!! MJ diddled kids? Unacceptable! #Cancel" when that shit was schoolyard joke fodder back in the day. Like, if you (and not *you* specifically) cared, you would've paid attention and shoved him off of your plate a long, loooong time ago. Like, you know, before he died and during a time when he could've possibly felt the effects of your activism. It means nothing now to toss his music and his legacy in the bin.

Having said all of that, I am glad that the abused can possibly feel some vindication and release in all of this. It's too little too late, but hopefully something this massively fucked up never happens again, at least at the hands of a high profile celebrity..

Old 03-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #42
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
which is not to say I think people shouldn't care. I'm glad people care and are more aware. But I think we have some social issues with applying this morality evenly, or else we haven't really figured out what an appropriate response for us is when a beloved public figure is found to have done heinous things
a) humanity needs to be cancelled

b) we all just need to kinda grow up and stop expecting our artists to be anything other than flawed shitty humans just like we are. just because they're on a billboard doesn't mean they're perfect. they're often worse, exemplified by their nature of so badly thirsting for attention & love from the world. not saying it should be put up with, just expected. the art mostly could, and arguably should, be separated from the artist. it's just even sweeter when the artist you like also seems to be a great person.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #43
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Currently swatting his grave

Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #44
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
This is a much better, more concise and less emotionally splattered explanation of how I feel.

Mods, can you please replace all of my posts in this thread with rbg's message, making it look like I said it first?

Old 03-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #45
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Sure! I'll make it seem like I said it first though.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #46
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
a) humanity needs to be cancelled

b) we all just need to kinda grow up and stop expecting our artists to be anything other than flawed shitty humans just like we are. just because they're on a billboard doesn't mean they're perfect. they're often worse, exemplified by their nature of so badly thirsting for attention & love from the world. not saying it should be put up with, just expected. the art mostly could, and arguably should, be separated from the artist. it's just even sweeter when the artist you like also seems to be a great person.
I don't exactly expect this behavior from anyone, but would say it does not surprise me. Rich and famous people, if anything, seem to be much worse than the average human. Power and recognition make most people corrupt and gross. I agree it would be much better for our society if we could give up the celebrity worship and stop trying to see the whole world through the lens of Hollywood, but I'm not sure how to make people do that. I've been arguing with Ryan Adams fans on his facebook, and a lot of them are just in complete denial, while others are compartmentalizing and trying to convince themselves his behavior is not that bad. people are fucking stupid.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #47
FoolofaTook

they should switch over to burzum

everyone should listen to burzum

Old 03-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #48
ilikeplanets
Braindead

#stantalent

Old 03-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #49
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
they should switch over to burzum

everyone should listen to burzum
did you hear about what he did though?

dude is cancelled

Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #50
FoolofaTook

Old 03-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #51
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
But it's a start and things have to start somewhere. There was never gonna be a large, unified even and organized societal movement because that's not how people work.
You need something that gets everyone's attention at once so that you can get enough people to pressure at once, that's why sometimes it works.
Of course it's not a perfect system, and it's definitely not without it's issues but it's something at least. We as a society are figuring this out as it goes and there will be growing pains.

The simple fact some people are starting to be held accountable for their actions is overall a positive thing.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #52
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
But it's a start and things have to start somewhere. There was never gonna be a large, unified even and organized societal movement because that's not how people work.
You need something that gets everyone's attention at once so that you can get enough people to pressure at once, that's why sometimes it works.
Of course it's not a perfect system, and it's definitely not without it's issues but it's something at least. We as a society are figuring this out as it goes and there will be growing pains.

The simple fact some people are starting to be held accountable for their actions is overall a positive thing.
agreed

Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #53
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
To be fair to the hashtag people, they probably weren't yet literate and/or alive when more or less anybody from casual fan downwards regarded the guy as a raging pedo.

It was really only when he died that the "Wacko Jacko" thing gave way to the sort of cultural taxidermy his beneficiaries have been collecting on ever since and desperately want to preserve for the good of their bank balances.
This. Up until his death, Jackson was the butt of ridicule by comedians and late-night comedians. People cared back then, too.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 PM   #54
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Although Leno didn't touch him because they were friends. But also Leno was never funny, so it's not like we were missing out on any great Jackson jokes.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #55
Disco King
Minion of Satan

P.S. I have no idea how we as a society should treat the body of work by creators accused of things and I can't offer any insightful solutions to this problem. Hopefully the world ends soon so that it won't be a pressing matter for long, though.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #56
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

People "cared" then, but only as far as cracking jokes at his expense. His music was still held in high regard by people who wanted to hear some "bangers" like Billie Jean at the next wedding function without having to consider the man behind the music and potentially ruin that good time.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #57
FoolofaTook

sorry DK, but I specifically remember Leno making MJ jokes.

the thing is, that stuff isn't funny. at all.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #58
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I agree.

Leno is never a laughing matter.

#TeamCoco

Old 03-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #59
FoolofaTook

lol yes i am ashamed to admit i watched that shit back in the day.

this was when i was into foo fighters and (gasp) third eye blind.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #60
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Hey man, those first few Foo/3eb albums are unfuckwithable. Don't even try to front!