Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #31
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Do you have a cache of photos of stuff? I'm interested, I've never bought art before, and I like your style. I guess it depends on materials too? I hope this also doesn't make me sound like an asshole. I don't know how to gauge how it would look on a wall or something either but I'm willing to test the waters
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
this is my favorite one. Is this is all just on sketch paper? Ever done canvas?
no cache — what i've posted are the first drawings i've done in years, all from the last few months. these are on 18 x 24 drawing paper in soft willow charcoal.

i studied art as an undergrad, so have worked with canvas plenty, though it's been ages. i might re-enter the painting waters before long, but we'll see.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #32
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 08-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #33
cork_soaker
full of longing

bleeding the orchid

Old 08-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #34
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
thanks for sharing, queenoftheswine!

my favorite is the last one — the evocative dual gaze, the texture of the marks, the line variation, the monotone, the still-visible guidelines.

i admire your grasp of anatomical proportion (human and reptilian), and your fearlessness with color, composition, and experimentation.
Thanks, Cork I tend to think my drawings are not "serious" enough so I tend to not share but I guess not everything in life has to be serious.

Quote:
I really like this one and this whole series. I'm curious to see more.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #35
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
no cache — what i've posted are the first drawings i've done in years, all from the last few months.

it's really interesting to me to see that you're (possibly) exhibiting the same pattern as me.

i really honestly love painting, but it just takes hold of me in cycles, almost outside of my control in a weird way. i mostly do watercolors and acrylics. it's like, there will comes periods when i'll really get deeply into it for a while, and produce about a painting per day for a certain length of time. then at some point it'll just come to a halt on its own. then, after a cycle ends i may not really be "able" to produce again for months or even years - even though sometimes i may want to - until something triggers it again.

it's like an energy bar (the fighting game kind, not the one with nuts/assorted cranberries) that drains and refills outside of my control.

i think it's a patience thing; that's why i cannot 'fake it' or produce upon demand (even from myself). when i do my best paintings, i'm able to really meditate on them and get ultrafocused on whatever it is i'm trying to do. achieve a certain contour, or color tone or what have you. and when i'm outside of that, it's really hard to command the patience? at least i think that's what it is.

can feel another wave coming soon... can't wait.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #36
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

also, cork, really nice work.

i love how your paintings are a natural extension of the same realm that's alive and presented in your photography, and in a way - your musical work.

it's also beautiful to see the polarization of styles between yours and queenoftheswine's art. cork is colorless and stark; sharp yet almost slightly out of focus; the shapes indicating going over every spot many times over, perfecting and touching up.

queenoftheswine, on the other hand, is commited to one precise line. bold and perfect contours. vivid, vibrant colors. i love that. your work suggests a beautiful sense of vulnerability and courage.

this thread somehow serves as a good reminder why sometimes, when no one's looking, i love human beings.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:57 AM   #37
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yes. when among humans, I like them best when keeping my eyes and ears shut.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #38
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's like an energy bar (the fighting game kind, not the one with nuts/assorted cranberries) that drains and refills outside of my control.

i think it's a patience thing; that's why i cannot 'fake it' or produce upon demand (even from myself)
This is exactly what I would describe it as being like, too. Even when I feel like I've achieved a consistent pace and draw every day, I'll just randomly stop for ages until I can bring myself to pick up a pencil again.

Thanks for your kind words Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff when the wave hits.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #39
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
it's really interesting to me to see that you're (possibly) exhibiting the same pattern as me.

i really honestly love painting, but it just takes hold of me in cycles, almost outside of my control in a weird way. i mostly do watercolors and acrylics. it's like, there will comes periods when i'll really get deeply into it for a while, and produce about a painting per day for a certain length of time. then at some point it'll just come to a halt on its own. then, after a cycle ends i may not really be "able" to produce again for months or even years - even though sometimes i may want to - until something triggers it again.

i think it's a patience thing; that's why i cannot 'fake it' or produce upon demand (even from myself). when i do my best paintings, i'm able to really meditate on them and get ultrafocused on whatever it is i'm trying to do. achieve a certain contour, or color tone or what have you. and when i'm outside of that, it's really hard to command the patience? at least i think that's what it is.

can feel another wave coming soon... can't wait.
Quote:
also, cork, really nice work.

i love how your paintings are a natural extension of the same realm that's alive and presented in your photography, and in a way - your musical work.

it's also beautiful to see the polarization of styles between yours and queenoftheswine's art. cork is colorless and stark; sharp yet almost slightly out of focus; the shapes indicating going over every spot many times over, perfecting and touching up.

queenoftheswine, on the other hand, is commited to one precise line. bold and perfect contours. vivid, vibrant colors. i love that. your work suggests a beautiful sense of vulnerability and courage.

this thread somehow serves as a good reminder why sometimes, when no one's looking, i love human beings.
thanks, teh bolly.

i'm delighted to learn that you are a painter. i had no idea. of course i'd love to see some of your work, but also understand that a thread on netphoria isn't perhaps the most comfortable place to share. and i enjoy hearing about your approach — the mindset you require, and the curious, seemingly unpredictable nature of the impulse.

i relate to the sense of focus you mention. for me, it's a state of near-effortlessness yet intense concentration (the colloquial "in the zone," i suppose). there has to be zero expectation, a sense of playfulness and excitement about what might happen, and fearlessness toward experimentation. it's like a full embracing of, and enthusiasm toward, the mystery of stepping into the forest. internal and external conditions have to be ideal, though — perhaps similar to what you mention in terms of being able to "command the patience."

any time i start to consider what so-and-so might think, or i start to worry about "messing up" the drawing, i'm no longer in the right space. the momentum drains almost instantaneously and is almost impossible to reclaim without some time to reset. and i'm noticing that the more i draw, the more easily i'm swayed from the playful to the formal. i feel i have to be vigilant against that kind of encroachment, without letting that vigilance itself become an obstacle. which is tricky.

the drawings that i deem most successful, in terms of their honesty and creative "purity" (sorry) are those i've done while on conference calls for work. it seems i have to not be fully present for the act of drawing in order for the work to remain unspoiled. keeps the doubts distracted by other matters, i suppose.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #40
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 09-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #41
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 09-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #42
cork_soaker
full of longing

some Vinnie van G i've been enjoying

Old 09-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #43
cork_soaker
full of longing

and a pair of my own

Old 09-14-2020, 12:56 AM   #44
cork_soaker
full of longing

i think that'll do for now, from me

thanks all for your indulgence

please continue if desired

Old 12-10-2020, 11:11 PM   #45
Alice
Minion of Satan

Fuck it since the drawings are all huge anyway let's edit this photo I took today back in why not. I know there's a photography thread but what can be done at this stage? Nothing. Here we are

Last edited by Alice : 12-10-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #46
Alice
Minion of Satan

Here are some things I drew. They're old. I want to start drawing again. Any day now. Here we go:

Old 12-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #47
Alice
Minion of Satan

Yes they're quite large. But I won't resize them. I could. But I won't. And I'll not hear any more about it

Old 12-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #48
Alice
Minion of Satan

Sorry Eulogy

Old 12-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #49
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Friekin nice

Dig the textures especially

Are u animating or like drawing comics for a job, b/c this is like 10/10 professional quality right? Beats the hell out of most of the trash animation i get to see marketed relentlessly to my kids

Old 12-11-2020, 02:18 AM   #50
Alice
Minion of Satan

You're far too kind. I don't know about 10/10 but I'll certainly take the compliment. Thanks.

Animation was the goal for long time. Sometimes I think maybe it still is? I don't know. I came very close to finding work as a storyboard artist a few years back but I let fear and being a dummy get the best of me. Sometimes I think about giving it another go.

I've had a troubled relationship with drawing for some time and have only recently begun to work through some of that and learn how to do it without making myself miserable. So I guess we'll see