Thoughts?

Old 12-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

wow that looks.... really bad.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Congrats i thought for sure this was a CW topic.

As for what i think,well first i think any terminator past the second was uneccessary.

It seems like they're trying to do some mindfucking with this one what with scenes of the first and second happening differently. Also, they actually got someone that sounds and looks a bit like Linda Hamilton. I still don't get why the other Terminator is old...unless somehow they'll explain he's been around a long time and maybe their flesh also ages because ts organic? That could be an explanation.

In a way it seems to me like this film is more the proper third in the series. like it kinda wants to ignore 3rd and 4th a bit. Reference the 1st an second a lot, and even have characters that look like the actors that played them. Even the connor at the beginning is closer to the one we saw in the future in T2. As much as i think Lena Headey is great looking and as much as i like her, i didn't really buy her Sarah Connor.(regardless of the fact the series was just bad overall) Linda Hamilton actually looked like she could and would kick your ass in the second. That was a good transformation, i never rated Hamitlon very high as an actor but at least she took care in transforming herself from an ordinary helpless waitress into a believable potential killing machine.

I guess that's the nice thing with time travel movies though. You can sort keep endlessly changing the timelines and stuff and basically kinda rewind things. And by nice i mean...you ca keep on endlessly making sequels nobody really wants to see happen anymore.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

As old franchises go, between this and Fury Road though, i'll go with Fury Road.

But realistically, both will probably suck.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Congrats i thought for sure this was a CW topic.

As for what i think,well first i think any terminator past the second was uneccessary.

It seems like they're trying to do some mindfucking with this one what with scenes of the first and second happening differently. Also, they actually got someone that sounds and looks a bit like Linda Hamilton. I still don't get why the other Terminator is old...unless somehow they'll explain he's been around a long time and maybe their flesh also ages because ts organic? That could be an explanation.

In a way it seems to me like this film is more the proper third in the series. like it kinda wants to ignore 3rd and 4th a bit. Reference the 1st an second a lot, and even have characters that look like the actors that played them. Even the connor at the beginning is closer to the one we saw in the future in T2. As much as i think Lena Headey is great looking and as much as i like her, i didn't really buy her Sarah Connor.(regardless of the fact the series was just bad overall) Linda Hamilton actually looked like she could and would kick your ass in the second. That was a good transformation, i never rated Hamitlon very high as an actor but at least she took care in transforming herself from an ordinary helpless waitress into a believable potential killing machine.

I guess that's the nice thing with time travel movies though. You can sort keep endlessly changing the timelines and stuff and basically kinda rewind things. And by nice i mean...you ca keep on endlessly making sequels nobody really wants to see happen anymore.
Besides never watching the Sarah chronicles (so can't comment on that) - yes to everything you said.

But I will add that I'm not gonna write this one off. Judging from the trailer, it defintiely looks better than the fourth and im more intrigued with what they're doing with this one than what they did with the third. I'm holding hope that they do a worthy sequel to the second.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Order 66
Socialphobic

looks ok for a syfy original

Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

if CW had started this thread I'd imagine it starting something like this:

"Terminator Genisys trailer introduces Schwarzenegger to his younger self"

Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
MeAndMyLlama

Zzz they will never let any franchise die. Nothing new will ever happen again.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
looks ok for a syfy original

Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndMyLlama View Post
Zzz they will never let any franchise die. Nothing new will ever happen again.
i know right? it's fucking incredible

Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

planet of the apes i don't understand were there lots of people cl******g for more planet of the apes or what

Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

it's guaranteed money. another Terminator film will do hundreds of millions of dollars world wide even if it's total shit

Old 12-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

last one, which everyone hated it seemed like, made 371 million worldwide

this is fucked man

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
hnibos
Braindead

I really wanted this to be good, I even liked the Sarah Connor chronicles. It's not looking good.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
it's guaranteed money. another Terminator film will do hundreds of millions of dollars world wide even if it's total shit
like trots said the last one bombed

and the third one hardly broke even. but that had more to do with trouble financing it to begin with (fun Fact: T3 was actually an independent film)

Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
Trotskilicious
Banned

it didn't bomb though it made 371 million world wide even though everyone thought it sucked

it's like people just turn their brains off and go to whatever is on multiple screens

Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
Order 66
Socialphobic

assuming production was in the neighborhood of 150 mil plus though thats somewhere in the vicinity of bombsville for a summer blockbuster

i didnt think salvation was bad per se... it was just... there.

last i heard this one starred j.k. simmons as an alcoholic detective all minfucked from events in the first movie with khaleesi connor and arnold doing a bunch of time travel shit in the background. this.. doesnt look like that. shame, was cautiously optimistic

Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #18
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I didn't think Terminator Salvation was bad either.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
assuming production was in the neighborhood of 150 mil plus though thats somewhere in the vicinity of bombsville for a summer blockbuster

i didnt think salvation was bad per se... it was just... there.
absolutely true . it actually cost 200 million. which still makes 171 million, almost twice what it cost

that's what we're talking about, there's zero risk at this point. You make an absolute turd and make twice what you spent.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Turd-1000

Old 12-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Negative Nancys everywhere!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #22
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I didn't think Terminator Salvation was bad either.
Salvation was terrible.

Genesys looks like a mockbuster knockoff of the first two Terminators. Nothing new to the table other than the usual amped up CGI and Arnold looking old.

Sci-fi reboots always suck. Next thing you know, they'll be remaking Mad Max as some pseudo-apocalypse kaboom-fest with Tom Hardy in place of Mel Gibson and Charlize Theron with a shaved head and the whole thing will look like a cross between Death Race and a Gwar music video...

...oh FIND ME IN THE ALPS!!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #23
Elphenor
Braindead

There has to be 10 garbage science fiction movies per every good one and we already had Interstellar so....

Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 AM   #24
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Mockbuster of the first two was done already with the third kinda. I mean there was barely a scene in this movie that wasn't a rehash of a scene from the first two. Seen this way, as kinda tongue in cheek, it could be watched. It's like yeah we're being super derivative and cannibalizing the first two but w'ere aware of it. But otherwise... Also, i was surprised that they at least had the balls to have the nuclear war happen anyway. I wouldn't have thought they'd go there.

thing is, the second already redid a lot of scenes from the fist because the original script of the first basically read a lot like T2 but cameron didnt have the budget to make the film as he had written it.

And yeah salvation sucked. I thought oh good, going into the future finally, nowhere else to go with this franchise really. But it was terrible and kinda didn't really fit with a lot of what we were told about that future in the other films.

I still think the franchise peaked with the first. I loved the second as a teen but there's no doubt the first is the best and probably should have been the only one to happen. But isn't it always this way. Th fact that it lacked budget makes it a very efficient, taut and nearly perfect film in the genre. The only way it could probably have been better is if they cast someone other than Schwarzy...i mean for one it makes no sense. You want your cyborg inconspicuous so you'll have him look like a champion bodybuilder and give him a austrian accent..what?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #25
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
And yeah salvation sucked. I thought oh good, going into the future finally, nowhere else to go with this franchise really. But it was terrible and kinda didn't really fit with a lot of what we were told about that future in the other films.
I was annoyed that that was the best story they could come up with.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #26
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post

Sci-fi reboots always suck. Next thing you know, they'll be remaking Mad Max as some pseudo-apocalypse kaboom-fest with Tom Hardy in place of Mel Gibson and Charlize Theron with a shaved head and the whole thing will look like a cross between Death Race and a Gwar music video...

...oh FIND ME IN THE ALPS!!

sounds cool to me

Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

well to Fury Road's credit, George Miller is still in charge of it. And if he ruins it, at least it's ruined by the creator, not some new guy that came along thinking he could reinvent the franchise and do it better.

And i like Tom Hardy.

Also, they're still doing the car stunts with actual cars, no CGI i think in this. That's at least something

Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
Trotskilicious
Banned

charlize looks super rad

Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

yes but i can see how the average Charlize fancier would think this is horrible because for a large segment of guys, short hair equals eww looks like a guy/lesbian. Seriously though, Emma Watson cut her hair some years back, gist of comments read about it "she looks like a lesbo" same with Carey Mulligan same with pretty much every woman that ever cut her hair pretty short. Apparently some guys feel if a girl has short hair and they fancy her, it might make them kinda gay. While personally i like when girls look boyish. Possibly because of my latent homosexuality....

Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #30
hnibos
Braindead

Every guy is at least latently homosexual.