Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
slunken
Virgo

Default If you use Facebook you probably helped Trump get elected

and if you're outspoken against him and still use facebook you're a hypocrite.

No excuses.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

sorry

Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I quit facebook before it was cool

Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I quit facebook before it was cool
anyone with common sense did so as well

Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
slunken
Virgo

Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
and if you're outspoken against him and still use facebook you're a hypocrite.

No excuses.
Not ‘Murican?

Old 03-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #7
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I quit in like 2011, when I found out FB had discovered a private group of pedos sharing stuff...and shut down the group, but didn't notify any law enforcement agencies. And then came crawling back in 2012 so I could keep in touch with this one friend who was moving back to Colorado from Australia.

But I do use it for keeping in touch, generally. I like it for that because I'm old and all of my generation is on it. I'm not going to care if there is a massive migration to another site. My uncle left yesterday and my brother left today.

Did I help get Trump elected by sharing Bernie Sanders campaign videos and undermining Hillary Clinton?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I cancelled my Facebook in 2011, long after I helped the Lizard People elect Obama into his first term.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I like facebook

#sorrynotsorry

Old 03-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

But do you 'Like' Facebook on Facebook?

Old 03-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Jesus sorry ok

Old 03-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I genuinely enjoyed MySpace (at the time). Never quite gelled with Facebook.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I think MySpace did a better job of keeping people with small circles not feel sad and pathetic.

I mean, I had Al Gore For President 2008 in my Top 8.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #14
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Here, listen to this Alien Ant Farm song while you scroll through my page. Leave me a comment please!

Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Facebook is for people with lives.

Figures you'd enjoy it, rbg, you full of life fuck.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Jesus sorry ok
JESUSNEEDSASORRY

Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #17
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I like facebook

#sorrynotsorry
I'm not calling you or anyone (tbh i don't care) out but the devil in me finds this stance incredibly ironic/hilarious.

It's like anyone can be labeled a "garbage person" or w/e for even being slightly associated with something Trump and then this snafu with Facebook is made public and even the most fierce anti-Trump people (again, not you RGB) are suddenly willing to give some slack.

Things like this bring me joy.

I'm incredibly hungover and probably not making any sense. I can barely construct sentences.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

m big hlj though. fpm;t worth

Old 03-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #19
slunken
Virgo

i hope the world ends soon

Old 03-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #20
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Zbfddx

Old 03-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #21
slunken
Virgo

Old 03-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #22
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I'm not calling you or anyone (tbh i don't care) out but the devil in me finds this stance incredibly ironic/hilarious.

It's like anyone can be labeled a "garbage person" or w/e for even being slightly associated with something Trump and then this snafu with Facebook is made public and even the most fierce anti-Trump people (again, not you RGB) are suddenly willing to give some slack.

Things like this bring me joy.

I'm incredibly hungover and probably not making any sense. I can barely construct sentences.
I get it, but my view is essentially that it makes little difference in the big picture. The battle for "privacy" is lost as far as I can tell. Our personal data is being used for nefarious purposes all the time and facebook is only a slice of that pie. If you want to blame any one thing, I would point to when your credit became tied to your social security number and the credit card companies began selling everyone's info. it's the same thing, facebook has just made it very obvious because mark zuckerberg openly espouses the ideology that privacy is irrelevant

Last edited by redbreegull : 03-23-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #23
slunken
Virgo

personally, i can understand it from a marketing angle. you click on some things and then you see advertisements for those things. but at this point its become manipulation.

that's terrifying to me. that shitbag zuckerberg called the NYT 20 minutes after his "statement" and expected a fair grilling when no one had the chance to read his dumbass response about "working toward" and "striving" and "benefiting"

i hate it so much. 1984, man. the most effective surveillance is when you conduct surveillance on yourself.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #24
LaBelle
Socialphobic

How to keep people under control while giving them illusion of freedom.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #25
slunken
Virgo

did anyone watch or listen to the zuckerberg congress hearing?

:roflcopter:

Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #26
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I get it, but my view is essentially that it makes little difference in the big picture. The battle for "privacy" is lost as far as I can tell.
i think this is kind of an easy way out that allows you to neutralize guilt and responsibility, and enables you to keep using something that you're ultimately conflicted and have serious qualms about. it's not unlike continuing to eat meat, even though you understand what it entails.

not out to grill you in particular, like slunk said. humanity's fucked anyway who cares.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #27
FoolofaTook

http://www.friendwhocares.com/wp-con...res-banner.jpg

Old 04-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #28
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

True.

And, the Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord takes vengeance and is filled with wrath.

I mean, God really knows. And really cares. So you better sort your shit out.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #29
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i think this is kind of an easy way out that allows you to neutralize guilt and responsibility, and enables you to keep using something that you're ultimately conflicted and have serious qualms about. it's not unlike continuing to eat meat, even though you understand what it entails.

not out to grill you in particular, like slunk said. humanity's fucked anyway who cares.
I just don't really think it makes a difference. One, there is no evidence as to how the FB data breach actually affected votes in the US election if it did at all, and that kind of causation would be pretty difficult to ever prove. But like I said, it's just a surface level easy thing to point to and be like oh society is spinning downwards because of tech companies stealing and selling our data and etc etc. But have you ever had a bank account? A credit card? Used google? Made online purchases? Allowed your phone to use your location on apps? Ever allowed apps or your email or other online platforms to share your information with each other? Filled out a government-mandated census or questionnaire? Given social security or other personally identifying information to any kind of financial institution (like a credit card company)? Or been on the internet at all in any capacity where search engines and advertisers can track your online movements? Because unless you haven't, you are already 20 feet deep in the same shit and facebook is like the last foot of water on the surface.

Last edited by redbreegull : 04-12-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #30
TuralyonW3
Immortal

controversial take:

people who don't use Facebook simply don't care about staying connection with friends and family around the world

they likely have social anxiety and don't value human connection