Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #151
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by if there is a llama
I think the next album will be alot better than Zeitgeist.
Thats not saying much.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #152
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactlythesame
The rep wars were hilarious.
Shut up.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #153
if there is a llama
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Thats not saying much.
Fair enough.

It will be better than anything since MCIS.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #154
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
Thumbs up

Quote:
Shut up.
Okay.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #155
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Fair enough.

It will be better than anything since MCIS.
Now you're looking stupid. Leave it at the previous comment.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #156
Endar
Demi-God

sorry sorta new here but Esty do you post anything but 1 liners?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #157
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

How about you read the threads before asking me a stupid question, ok fuckhead. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #158
Endar
Demi-God

thanks for answering my question...

Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM   #159
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endar
sorry sorta new here but Esty do you post anything but 1 liners?

Post of the Century

Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #160
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
badabing bang nailed it.

davin, your so-called sources to me are probably about as worthy as shannon funk is a testament to britney spears' parenting skills, or lack thereof. bill's moves concerning the replacements of james and darcy with cheap imitations is cold and calculated in my eyes. that relfection from bill's holier than thou halo you place on him deliberately can't make you see that some people will feel thsi way no matter what.
ok, i'll ignore information from reliable working-class sources with nothing to gain, and instead believe your bullshit delusional conspiracy theory that probably is the spawn of hours and hours of day time soap opera.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #161
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit this album isn't mind-blowing. But considering it's Bill's first attempt at the pumpkins in seven years, I think it's pretty good.

I know it lacked outside influence feedback...that's something I think will be around on the next album. Hopefully Jeff gets creative input (I like Ginger but don't think she'll want to stick around).

Not to mention this album lacked feedback from fans. Every other album, Billy and co. had been trying material out for at least a year before they recorded.

I think the next album will be alot better than Zeitgeist.
exactly. i know there's no way September 1991 - June 1996 will ever ever ever be captured again, but with fandom rooted in that awesome shit, its really fucking easy to enjoy this rockin' new album. musically its the best bc/jc output i've heard in a long time. the guitar and drum work are fucking top notch.

yes its more deliberate and precisely executed than earlier stuff, but you'll never recreate that moment or energy or rock-n-roll moment, even if you had the exact same ingredients. so you can say it was because of james, or becase of james & darcy, or because of heroin or because of naive young angst-ridden billy.....but the answer is NONE OF THE ABOVE. all the same ingredients in 2007 would yield a different result.

thats just the way it is, so too bad if you can't get over a stupid grudge, some bullshit drama, or some simple semantics over what is "the band". just enjoy the fucking music and the rest will come naturally.

warning: if you are SP fan and you cannot enjoy zeitgeist then i think your time has passed. lets debate about the older shit instead then, ok?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #162
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_adore_adore
I don't doubt it, but I still say that it's a combo of James and Billy... that they just didn't mesh well. No one's fault, just the way things are.

Did Billy's retarded blog blaming James help? heck no. That was pretty ridiculous, and very childish, I think. I dunno what he was trying to accomplish. But still, I just think it's a matter of personalities clashing, not one person being wrong and the other right.

childish...hell yeah it was. I do think it's weird that he even did it though. When he first laid blame on James it seemed very much out of the blue. Out of the blue to the point where I think something happened or something was said within their circles. Who knows though. I just think it's weird he said anything at all.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #163
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster

As much as we'd all like them to say something on the subject, they're not saying a damn word.....they're just playing shows. To a degree it's probably the best thing to do if they just want people to actually listen to the music as opposed to just talking about drama. That's not to say I agree with them keeping silent like this, but what they are doing does make a degree of sense since it's apparent that the band is sticking around (Corgan said this in the blue room interview). Enough damage was done when Corgan opened his mouth on the subject a couple years ago.....he's probably been advised (or has advised himself) to shut up.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #164
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

To answer the question of what D'arcy was to the band...

Billy called her the "mother hen" but also said in all seriousness that she acted as a kind of outside ear to the music which more or less kept some of his more questionable musical tendencies in check.

Also, I in terms of assigning the specific role of "brains," "heart," etc. I'd say that D'arcy might have been "attitude."

At the time of Adore's release, my perception of how Jimmy's absence affected the dynamic of the band (and especially the music itself) what that it prematurely knocked all the wind out of the sails in terms of the band's (and by "band" I mean 9/10ths Billy) will to continue to play what I would specifically define as "rock" music. The product--sans Jimmy--seemed disorientingly foreign to my ears. "Was the hell is this, exactly?" I asked myself. At the time it seemed to bear precisely zero semblance to anything which could be properly construed as Pumpkins music (bar that ten or so second solo interlude in "Ava Adore".) When Jimmy went, it seemed like the final tie had been cut in Billy's decision to move in a radically new musical direction. I also got the impression that this move into "radically different" musical territory--and what seemed like Bill's very thinly veiled solo project--alienated the remaining band members in a considerable, perhaps irreperable way. This is very much the point at which I think D'arcy and James really started questioning whether or not they wanted to continue their commitment to the band.

Anyone who's been in the Pumpkins camp for long enough realizes that Corgan is unusually sensitive and "thin-skinned" to say the least (which is a formula for disaster when you happen to be someone in the public eye)...if not slightly neurotic at times. Because this is a guy whose internal threat level hovers consistently within the red range, his reactions are often very visceral, overly reactionary, and on ever vigilant defense against the looming threat of ego-bruise. In short, he's geared towards self-protection. So the childish, rather tactless James commentary is no surprise in this light. Oh well...that's Billy for you.

Last edited by stumpycat : 08-16-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 AM   #165
werideatdusk
Ownz

The new music is good... and if its not, then who was or wasnt *******d in the recording doesnt fucking matter. If you like it, good... if you don't that's fine but stop overcontextualizing everything and just evaluate the music for what it is.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #166
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin

thats just the way it is, so too bad if you can't get over a stupid grudge, some bullshit drama, or some simple semantics over what is "the band". just enjoy the fucking music and the rest will come naturally.

warning: if you are SP fan and you cannot enjoy zeitgeist then i think your time has passed. lets debate about the older shit instead then, ok?
i would if there was anything to enjoy (other than stellar)...

SOMA IS BETTAR THAN MAYONAISE!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #167
million_watts
Demi-God

hmm, i always kinda wanted to see SP in chicago... work out guestlist, fill up your stash and get that guestroom ready, davin

Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #168
Caine Walker
Braindead

i completely disagree that zeitgeist is better than adore. i probably missed that boat, but whatever. adore just seemed a lot more honest, and i appreciate that more than the rrr-rrr-rrr guitars, bombast and posturing of zeitgeist. if they can combine this sans the latter for the next album, then we'll be in business again. i.m.o.

although i will say that i listened to the Z on my way home from work yesterday and it led me to some interesting conclusions about my life in its current state. not that it matters to any of you, but at least i got that out of it.

in an attempt to bring this sucker back on topic, where the fuck would they have a chicago residency? if it's at the metro, that would be kind of lame... the empty bottle would be great, but absolutely impossible. now that i'm thinking about it... the metro is really the only place in chicago that would be able to accommodate such a thing. huh.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #169
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

I assume the chicago theater would be a great choice for something like that, although, no way they sell it out each and every night. Unless we have a bunch of montes and davins stupid enough to do the every show thing.

I hope its someplace small so I can get tickets and sell them for a high price.

Last edited by Esty : 08-16-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #170
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
Thats a really stupid comment.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #171
werideatdusk
Ownz

Didn't joe shanahan say that they could have 40 nights, if they wanted? maybe thats the plan.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #172
Skylarq
Apocalyptic Poster

what a gay thread...good (rumors?) about chicago though

Old 08-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #173
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

all these residencies, whilst cool and all present a danger of burnout. if they wrap up the tour well before the end of the year, take a break to recharge / gain some perspective and maybe go back into the studio by the early summer they could be on schedule to put out a new album by the end of '08. they spent a lot of time fine-tuning zeitgeist, with mixed results so maybe they could go for a rawer sound next time; most critics liked machina 2 for this reason, despite it obviously not being the finished product.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #174
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Playing 10-20 nights in Chicago over the course of a month (instead of all in a row) could be a good way to wrap up the tour, I think, without burning everyone out.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #175
if there is a llama
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee
Playing 10-20 nights in Chicago over the course of a month (instead of all in a row) could be a good way to wrap up the tour, I think, without burning everyone out.
I think more residencies is not a good way to end the tour. You want to end with a bang, not a slow burn. Play a big show in Chicago. And break out a bunch of old fan favorites. Make chicagoans feel special and give everyone else a taste of things to come.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #176
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I think more residencies is not a good way to end the tour. You want to end with a bang, not a slow burn. Play a big show in Chicago. And break out a bunch of old fan favorites. Make chicagoans feel special and give everyone else a taste of things to come.
I'm talking about realistic possibilities here. Yes, in theory there could be a free show at the Park where they whip out Soma, Geek USA, and Ruby, and that would be the awesomest. But it's not bloody likely.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #177
if there is a llama
Demi-God

Quote:
Now you're looking stupid. Leave it at the previous comment.
Let me guess...I'm stupid because I think an as-of-yet unreleased album can be better than Adore?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #178
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

I bet they just play a 5 hour show at the metro with a bunch of special guests.

I'd be down.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #179
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Darcy was an integral member in TSP... way way more important than people give her credit for... almost the unsung member. She had problems but she was strong and beautiful and she was great

Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #180
List On Fork
Pledge

dancing makes me darcy mooning poop.