Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Mike Byrne

been watching some of this stuff this morning

I feel terrible for him. imagine having to try to fill in for jimmy motherfucking chamberlin. i'd lose my fucking mind having to go out on tour every night under the reign of billy corgan, trying to play these crazy songs that were written before i was even born.

imagine trying to be an equal, contributing member of a group when you're 19, and the singer is a total asshole, and went through stuff like this with the old drummer:

Quote:
As our days grind on in the studio, all pressure is mounting on Jimmy…the success of every session weighs solely on his shoulders, something he is not used to…the big question every day sits whether he can top himself and play better than he has ever played in his life…we are counting on him to finish all the drums first, and I can tell that even though he is putting on a brave face, this type of microscopic attention is starting to freak him out…Jimmy is the type of musician who is at his best if he is not thinking…this doesn’t mean he doesn’t know what he is doing at any given moment (he does), but rather what he does is so complicated that it’s best if he doesn’t pay too much attention, a act like juggling with dangerous objects…because you can juggle 4 knives fairly effectively if you really don’t pay much attention to the fact that you are juggling 4 sharp knives…and this is what it is like for him, playing some of these songs at 100mph…I look for ways to help him, and notice if I give him too many details after a take, he plays worse and worse, overburdened by thought…also, he doesn’t play well if you criticize him openly particularly, or directly, but responds really well to overall grand concepts and encouragement…the general feeling for me when I work with Jimmy is one of true honor…he will absolutely kill himself and play his fingers to the bone trying to get you what you want musically, if you will walk with him thru the darkness of the whole ordeal…take after take strips Jimmy of his natural confidence, and I try to stay in the spot with him, reminding him of how far we have come, and how we are both going to get there…we start to speak a secret language no one hears, not even Butch over the open mikes…James and D’arcy don’t say a word, either because they don’t understand or don’t care, as this part of the process becomes mine and Jimmy’s exclusively…I spend a lot of energy trying to soothe him, to get him to play consistently so that we won’t have to chop up all his drum takes so much, both because the editing is so time consuming (sometimes a whole day) and the very act of slicing apart his grooves destroys his urgent swagger, killing the bands natural feel…I secretly go along with all this idealism, believing in Butch and how it will get us all where we want to go…unknowingly, I am deftly balancing two worlds on a pin, one the world of the mighty Pumpkins and our sloppy yet defined passion, the other the growing perfectionism of a coming corporate age…
i just think his style wasn't meant for the pumpkins. he was into math rock and crazy shit like that.

the pumpkins are much more straightforward rhythmically; the main thing is being aware of dynamics and vibe. jimmy always talks about the importance of expressing the emotion of the song through the drum part, moreso than chops or rudiments or anything.

it's just really sad. billy basically set him up to fail. guys like matt walker, kenny aronoff, they're pros, they're experienced, they can handle it. burnsie obviously couldn't...he's a kid, what do you expect?

Last edited by Ram27 : 10-11-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

MIKE BURNS

GRATE TREAD RAMZ

Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

rip

Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Corgan said: "We counted over 1,000 submissions, and what made Mike stand out was he just seemed to have that X-factor that all the great drummers have, a stunning blend of power, speed and grace. I'm excited to work with him moving forward – he truly deserves this opportunity. I believe in my heart he will push me to be a better musician." "

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ns-new-drummer

If he is "a stunning blend of power, speed and grace", how come no band has hired him since he got fired?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
Shallowed
Braindead

Maybe no one is looking for a drummer with a stunning blend of power, speed and grace

Old 10-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
sjpaterra
Ownz

sure, he had SOME grace. He wasn't exactly graceful but i guess he wasn't completely without grace.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

He shouldn't have been the drummer Billy picked to replace Jimmy, but he had his moments. I used to shit all over his contributions when he was still in the band, but now post-firing I gotta say, I feel bad for the guy. Like someone said earlier, there was no way this could've turned out well for him. Ilan Rubin was 19 as well when he replaced Josh Freese in NIN and he turned out to be more than capable to fill his shoes, but to be fair, Jimmy is a one of a kind unique flower whereas Josh is "just" a really, really good drummer.

I had my hopes up for Byrne when this came out:

Old 10-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
Ram27
dumb

bill at 2:16

Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Ram27
dumb

oh shit look at him doing the stinger at the end. that's the only time post 2000 i've ever seen him full bodily swing the guitar down like that

Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
DaveKShape
Ownz

I don't wish any ill will on Burns, but he was a 19-year-old joining a band with a notoriously volatile leader who was like 20+ years older than him. I know he was just a young dude who couldn't turn down an offer to play in a notable band but let's not act like he couldn't have seen the potential red flags even with his lack of experience.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Hope Mike dies soon. That's all. RIP

Old 10-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

I fully suspect that the reason Mike hasn't dished the dirt on Billy is because he either had to sign an NDA when joining the band or his tiny cut of the Oceania royalties depend on it. I'm sure there was also a sprinkle of "if you go to the press, you'll never work in the music business again".

Old 10-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

I've expected a new thread about MATT WALKER!!

Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #14
sjpaterra
Ownz

didn't nicole and mike start fucking each other at some point? They got pretty close... or was that the chinese guy and melissa offdumar?

Old 10-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
Ram27
dumb

i think that was the japanese guy and darcy

Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #16
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Pretty sure that Corgan hired Byrne because Corgan was going through a mid-life crisis and thought that hiring a 19-year old would add some youth to the band's image so that people wouldn't think of SP as some "old '90s band."

Didn't work. Just made it look like "some guy clinging to his old successful band name, playing with a bunch of glorified session musicians, and calling it 'Smashing Pumpkins.'"

Byrne's biggest sin was "not being Jimmy Chamberlin," I guess. There's nothing particularly wrong with him. He was definitely not the worst thing about the Smashing Pumpkins at the time.

In fact, his own math-rocky musical projects probably have 1000x more creative merit than Corgan's output of the past decade-and-a-half. At least the kid just plays music because his heart is in it, not because he wants to be on MTV again.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #17
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"William Patrick Corgan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a man I respect so much, and who is so cool he doesn't need social media. Jeff 'The Shredder' Schroeder of The Smashing Pumpkins"

>>>

"Chris Byrne
It's my son's birthday too. Happy birthday Mike!"

Old 10-12-2017, 12:49 AM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

LOL

No one bagged on Mike more than me. But at the time, I figured he was a pivotal figure holding Corgan back... What else could explain the horribleness of Teargarden and the shit production of Oceania? But now you hear all this new Billy Corgan music and it's pretty shitty anyways... So I guess in a way Byrne was destined to fail one way or the other.

I guess the positive is that the tour with Manson kicked ass again. SP sounded great with Jimmy behind the skins. So the touring aspect is a treat again whereas it was a shitshow with Byrne.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 AM   #19
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Hey if he got to take Nicole Fettucini to the bearcubbin zone then I can’t feel bad for the little scamp

Old 10-12-2017, 01:49 AM   #20
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I have no beef with Byrne and if I did it was just that bum fluff moustache he grew. That should never have happened.

But that is some reasonably cromulent drumming, in the bearcubbin' vid.

I would pay money to see bearcubbin'. I think I've said that before.

Not much money.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #21
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

In fact I remember Eulogy mocking me for being a 30 something mother of two lusting after balding middle aged men and going to bearcubbin' shows

Alain de Botton though, come on.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:58 AM   #22
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
No one bagged on Mike more than me.
think that was me

i feel bad about a) posting such low quality content and b) slagging off another musician trying his best in a basically impossible role

Old 10-12-2017, 01:59 AM   #23
Ram27
dumb

i wouldn't pay to see bearcubbin'! but i wouldn't mind seeing them play

also +++++ for usage of 'cromulent'

Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 AM   #24
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I would pay money NOT to see him.

A lot of money (in food stamps).

Old 10-12-2017, 02:40 AM   #25
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Jesus, that’s awful.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #26
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

yeah he sounds great in bearcubbin'

Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #27
Ram27
dumb

oh remember the quote about how he would have to take cortisone injections on tour cause his wrists were so fucked from playing too much

Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #28
Ram27
dumb

of course jimbo used different injections

Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #29
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Ok, here's what I know:

Mike's arms got all fucked up during the Oceania tour in 2012-13. He had to get cortisone shots and stuff to stop the pain and to be able to perform. It was crazy. They were playing for more than six hours every day. His wrists sounded like a cement truck.

NOBODY showed up on the overseas tour for Oceania which made Bill extra sour. I heard the word "rough" to describe how things were going from everyone in the band several times.
--> http://forums.netphoria.org/showthre...180906&page=44

Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #30
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy (2013):
"Something about it all feels a little too nicey nice. I’m not in a rock and roll band to be nicey nice, it’s just not my thing.”