Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

Default Timely new GQ article on Matt Sweeney out today

https://t.co/Txxd8dj3dA

Quote:
​“One of the big things that happened in the two or three years leading up to writing and then making the Superwolf record was that Matt's old acquaintance Billy Corgan invited him to be a part of this new project that he was doing, which ultimately was called Zwan,” Oldham said. “Early on— it was right after September 11— I got asked to play a benefit for this organization called RAWA, which was the Revolutionary Afghani Women's Association or something like that, in Los Angeles. And it was the beginning days of Zwan. I talked to Matt, and Zwan volunteered their services to be the band. So we go into a rehearsal hall and I'm in there with Matt and Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain and we're working out all these songs that I wrote, and Billy Corgan is very generous and very sweet, and he comes up with some incredible guitar parts for songs. And it was a great experience.

So Matt's getting involved with this thing and I'm trying to be excited. But I have reservations because​ I've never fully embraced the musical world of Corgan. And I also know that it can be encompassing. And [Matt and I] just got this musical relationship going, and I'm aware that it's about to go on a serious hiatus. And I want to be positive, but again, I'm not thinking that they're necessarily going to be making music that I'm going to be wrapping my ears around with full glee. And indeed it has its peaks and valleys. But ultimately it's a rocky road that does not end in the success I think Corgan wanted. But essentially Matt was kind of M.I.A. in some ways for a couple of years, and I know it had some great rewards, but I think it was also very, very challenging and distressing in a lot of ways, and didn't necessarily end on a high note.”

Old 06-29-2018, 03:03 AM   #2
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

I still can't believe there isn't a recording of that show. Would love to hear it.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
slunken
Virgo

Matt rules

Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

I think it’s become clear in the subsequent years that Sweeney can’t say anything about Zwan for possibly legal reasons so it was a good move just asking his friend

Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #5
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd say Matt's future royalties depend on not breaking a NDA, but damn, I bet he could leak some stuff!