Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2017, 12:11 AM   #91
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i just wanted to hear corgan seem to give a fuck. and it does sound like that. and there are about 3 songs that are very good.
See this is such an unreasonably low bar you're setting for yourself. You're essentially saying that your bar of standers is that he doesn't sound like he's phoning it in

Is that really the point we're at with the once mighty and prolific Billy Corgan?!? If it is, it's certainly not something to celebrate... I'll tell you that much.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #92
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Yes that's the point we're at, where have you been

Old 10-06-2017, 01:33 AM   #93
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I’m just jotting down thoughts as I listen:
Immediately the vocals are horrid, even for Billy this is horrible.
By the third track the repeated lyric chorus is already on my nerves.
The strings are way too loud. It’s like Billy always has that one element that is just unsettlingly loud in the mix.
Aeronaut is like the prime example of all this albums flaws so far. I can see why he picked it as the lead in. It encompasses all of those Billy quirks (like the strange warble vocals, etc.) that he thinks are pleasing. It’s just so aimless, nothing interesting about it.
I just can’t shake the feeling that I am listening to demo tracks. I don’t know if its the fact that it’s just acoustic guitar/piano and strings or what.
Amarinthe is the only song so far that I’ve enjoyed.
I have the overwhelming urge to hit next at the 2/3rds point on almost every song.
During Mandarynne, that descending piano riff from :50 to :57 is definitely used in another Pumpkins track. Can anyone recall where this is used? I do like the piano throughout this one.
Archer is a pretty decent track and a great closer for the album.
It’s a much better album than Monuments to an Elegy for me. I am so thankful he has ditched the Casio circus keyboards for actual (what I’m assuming is some Kontakt libraries) good tones.
The lyrics seems to be a great improvement outside of the super repetitive choruses during more than a few tracks and a few cringe inducing lines, but that’s a Corgan charm, right?
I’d give it a 5.5/10

Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #94
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Is Jesus Needs a Hit really going to be a b-side?

Old 10-06-2017, 01:39 AM   #95
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

just read this post again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Aeronaut Single Tracklisting Accounced:
release date: October 15, 2017

1) Aeronaut

2) Jesus Needs A Hit (Ogilala b-side unreleased)

3) Aeronaut [Linda Strawberry Reimagined Mix]

Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #96
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Is Jesus Needs a Hit really going to be a b-side?
It's clearly a joke. He hasn't released a CD single with an actual B-side in ages.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:51 AM   #97
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

His vocals here are close to live performance, he still makes that annoying race car noise and tries to sing "well", but production wise it's still much better than ZG etc.
I... think I enjoyed MTAE at the time, I quite liked Being Beige - but going from this back to Being Beige and the production on that sounds baaad.

So in terms of vocals and production, I like Ogilala. Also Aeronaut has grown on me a lot. If some of these songs turned up as 90's outtakes I'd be pretty happy with them.

I don't get how The Spaniards is one of the most popular songs, though.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:32 AM   #98
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Musicians P!nk and Billy Corgan will appear on the October 12 “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

According to NBC, P!nk will be an interview guest on the broadcast. Corgan will take the stage for a musical performance."

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2017/...-jimmy-fallon/

Old 10-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #99
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
It's clearly a joke. He hasn't released a CD single with an actual B-side in ages.
nothing is clearly a joke in the world of "William Patrick" anymore

Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 AM   #100
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
What's the deal with that lyric in the Spaniards... "To film dragons of grace" or something?
I think it's something like:

Fear in hearts
Upswept in unlaced bodice
To furies I gave no decides
Filled dragons full of grace
With pretty aids
We cried out of grace
To best result
We can't
Just reach
And filled with their effects
Giving blood yet nothing of the best
Mistook the misdeeds of the blessed

Old 10-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #101
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
During Mandarynne, that descending piano riff from :50 to :57 is definitely used in another Pumpkins track. Can anyone recall where this is used?
soot and stars.

After sleeping on the album that's the only thing about any of these songs that I remember (that one song sounded like soot and stars). lyrically the album was reminiscent of original SP. but in general I don't care for the overall acoustic style of these songs, made me long for the residency songs which I'd love in this format. 5/10

Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #102
Kahlo

Mandarynne - Is this a Zeitgeist era song? I remember a white board with 'The Mandarin' at some stage. Maybe my mind has made it up and my soul is full of lies.

I haven't listened to this new effort yet. I want to give it a chance, but everything so far (the fucking awful cover artwork and the somewhat forgettable single) don't inspire confidence that this a return to form.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #103
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Hi Kids!

I really appreciate billys try to make an acoustic album. - i always loved the acoustic,ballad kind of billy songs.
I dig the new album.
Why are so many people annoyed and full of diss? They still want bill to make siamese 2.
He is an artist and does what he wants. God bless that bill is not metallica or pearl jam who make the same albums for over 20 years again and again.

and those who wish it to be a tfe2 -i tell ya: tfe was bad, got bad reviews and is really hated by most pumpkin fans. ok monuments was low, oceania low, zeitgeist low, but ogilala is refreshing

the guy is 50 - do you expect him to sing about depression, suicide and loneliness like in 1995 - he grew up

so if you are fans - critisize, but dont be lame and tinker on the vibrato, mix or whatever.

sure, his singing style changed - thats because he didnt like his old style, i guess - he will never sing like bowie, but when i listen to zowie´s end i must laugh, because rubin and billy left the singing mistake right on the album...that´s cool

Old 10-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #104
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Mandarynne - Is this a Zeitgeist era song? I remember a white board with 'The Mandarin' at some stage. Maybe my mind has made it up and my soul is full of lies.

I haven't listened to this new effort yet. I want to give it a chance, but everything so far (the fucking awful cover artwork and the somewhat forgettable single) don't inspire confidence that this a return to form.
TbK.

https://youtu.be/OZikrgrQWTY

Old 10-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #105
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post

The title of that video should be 'The worst decision of Billy's career'.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #106
Kahlo

Thumbs down

Quote:
fucking hell

Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #107
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
TbK.

Again some troll dissing billy for the fun of it. please delete your account

Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #108
Kahlo

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post

Why are so many people annoyed and full of diss? They still want bill to make siamese 2.

so if you are fans - critisize, but dont be lame and tinker on the vibrato, mix or whatever.
IAM FULL OF DISS
I WILL CRITISIZE TO MY HEARTS DESIRE
WHY IS THIS NOT SIAMESE DREAM 2?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #109
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:

the guy is 50 - do you expect him to sing about depression, suicide and loneliness like in 1995 - he grew up
lol
Quote:
Lyrics

[Verse 1]

This mountain was torn from us
This mountain was torn from us

[Chorus]
If I'm leaving you without return
A snare
Can a boy float through time and space
You can call it home if you wish or if it's fair
But it's mine to share and share alike
Won't you mourn with me
Lover won't you mourn with me
Lovers won't you mourn with me

[Outro]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH0AUKoUAAAlNIa.jpg

Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #110
Kahlo

Talking

Quote:

Again some troll dissing billy for the fun of it. please delete my account
I know Brothahi4L is new here, but can someone help him with his request?

Thanks Netphoria community!

Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #111
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Hi Kids!

I really appreciate billys try to make an acoustic album. - i always loved the acoustic,ballad kind of billy songs.
I dig the new album.
He is an artist and does what he wants. God bless that bill is not metallica or pearl jam who make the same albums for over 20 years again and again.

and those who wish it to be a tfe2 -i tell ya: tfe was bad, got bad reviews and is really hated by most pumpkin fans. ok monuments was low, oceania low, zeitgeist low, but ogilala is refreshing

sure, his singing style changed - thats because he didnt like his old style, i guess - he will never sing like bowie, but when i listen to zowie´s end i must laugh, because rubin and billy left the singing mistake right on the album...that´s cool
Nice try, W.P Corgan. You are so lame now.

Last edited by enthusaroo : 10-06-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #112
bigoltitties
Pledge

I feared the worst after hearing Spaniards, which was fucking butchered in my opinion, but I've really liked everything else I've heard so far. No cheap synths, embarrassingly bad lyrics. Some of his best singing committed to tape in the last 17 years. Zowie is a great opener. Reminds me of Truman Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FySi6xXkNqo

Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #113
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I just wanted to say that lots of fans or so called fans search for reasons to diss billy and his music. For me its the best album since machina 2.

I agree: Billy´s singing style changed, i dont like the vibrato too, but still, the songs are better and the mix too

Old 10-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #114
SPLATTER
Demi-God

i truly hate it. it's the type of thing you hear and you immediately wanna turn it off.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #115
Crepe
Demi-God

Not bad.

Last edited by Crepe : 10-06-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #116
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I just wanted to say that lots of fans or so called fans search for reasons to diss billy and his music. For me its the best album since machina 2.

I agree: Billy´s singing style changed, i dont like the vibrato too, but still, the songs are better and the mix too
Hey WPC, I like your new album. I'm going to buy the FLACs.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #117
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Hi Kids!

I dig the new album.

It is happy to see your posting. Yes really informative points. I will tell this information again to my friend thank you?

Old 10-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #118
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

i don't hate it.

i don't ADORE it, but i don't hate it.

i've listened to it twice now, as background music at work, and it served that purpose well.

feels pretty under-produced for BC. in a good way, i think...

Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #119
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Third listen.

The production is good this time. Its respectable and it's the only way a guy with Corgan's voice is going to work on record. It has a number of decent chorus hooks. Aeronaut has earwormed it's way into my head frequently, I actually want to listen to this record.

Zowie, The Processional, Aeronaut, Amarinthe, Antietam, Archer... are standouts.

This is the most Smashing Pumpkins Corgan has sounded since Machina.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #120
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon View Post
i've listened to it twice now, as background music at work, and it served that purpose well.
So full of diss.