Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #121
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

MonumentsRocks, there's a fb group you might like although I'm pretty sure you're already a member.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #122
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
MonumentsRocks, there's a fb group you might like although I'm pretty sure you're already a member.
Basket weaving? I love basket weaving!

Old 10-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #123
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
I remember that. Started around 96/97 (maybe 95) but for a while all I had access to were mp3s on napster. I tried to avoid spending $20-$30 on a bootleg at a record store or pawn shop but they always made me smile when I ran into them. It was fun going to Luna and SPFC to read up on what was all out there though. Printing lyrics, interviews and boot descriptions off the 2 previously mentioned sites and others in the computer lab at school because I didn't have a computer at home. I also remember getting emails from Listessa and trying to keep up on that using an old hotmail account I no longer have access to.

Then in the early 2000s downloading torrents from sharingthegroove.org which turned into The Traders' Den or Dime a Dozen. This all makes me want to start a separate thread (been wanting to for a bit actually) about the old DC++ Hub that was around 2002-2005. I finally starting taping shows on my own in 2004 because of all the "I only trade master for master" BS in the trading community. When I lurked on Netphoria in the early/mid '00s I think I mostly just hung out in the Live Recordings forum. I don't remember being on the O board for whatever reason. How about accessing #smashingpumpkins on EFnet through the mIRC app? christ we're all going to die some day.
I remember making cassette liners for bootlegs. They had some other name or something. But there were template programs and you could use whatever font and make up the tracklist to put in the cassette case to look nice

Old 10-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #124
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

the sp IRC chat where bolly was coined is still the best thought. #gishmonth anyone?

i was on alt.music.smash-pumpkins but i don't think i posted on netphoria

Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #125
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Exclamation

Time for some vitamines!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #126
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I think what you're saying goes to show that Billy Corgan is/was mostly right; fans are claiming his music is "mediocre" because they don't appreciate where he wanted to take the Smashing Pumpkins brand. Zwan and TFE showed that Corgan wanted to go for a more upbeat, less goth sound, but he needed to exploit the Smashing Pumkins brand in order to sell records. People seem to feel they have part ownership in the brand because they grew up with Smashing Pumpkins, as evidenced by people on this forum, saying here that they can't let go. So then Billy gets mad at his fans, and his fans get mad at him, its hatred all around, but nobody is willing to split up because they all think they're entitled to keep the house.

If you load up most post 2007 stuff in YouTube, Zeitgeist, Teargarden, even MTaE, and you look at the comments, you see lots of very positive remarks. It goes to show that there are a lot of people who like the music he made post 2007, and it disproves the idea that Billy made bad music. If someone out there likes it, it aint bad.
this is almost catherine wheel level stupidity of reasoning.

check out the youtube comments, they prove uh... something!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #127
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ava transformer View Post
Oh and when Netphoria was down going to Blamo was the thing to do.. They were Sad Machines before Sad Machines..Blamo2:Electric Boogaloo
I was on Blamo before my account got approved here and I don't remember this being the case at all. It was a more "controlled" Netphoria with perhaps less outright vitriol but it was in no way the "Billy cock-suck crew" that SM seems to routinely be

Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #128
redbreegull

Thumbs up

Quote:
I hope Billy continues to make music that sucks, because I LOVE music that sucks. By all accounts, loads more of sucky music is on the way.

I don't know what to tell the rest of you, I guess you're out of luck.
And you will know the truth
And the truth will set you free

Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #129
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I was on a Radiohead board in the 2000s which I supposed kind of "prepped" me for any future message board endeavours or whatever, i.e. dealing with assholes who acted like they had the end-all/be-all of music, movies, and whatever else. but even then Netphoria seemed particularly threatening, I don't think I was aware of another board that the lead member of the band it was dedicated to actually actively hated it. and what's more the stuff I did see on here didn't exactly seem warm & inviting.

Truthfully though, my biggest take-away from Netphoria in those days was how riddled with ads & spam it was. Thankfully that seems to all be gone now but man it was a pain in the ass to even just lurk a few threads in the late 00s.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #130
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Reading some of the posts in here I kinda want to find the early reaction threads to Machina just to see how bad it actually was, lol. I remember some of the Zeitgeist threads and frankly they were surprisingly positve

Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #131
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I remember the reaction to Machina was largely positive at the time, but most agreed that that Arising tour versions were better and that the album was overproduced. The album had leaked about a month before the release date. And pretty much everyone hated the Imploding Voice.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #132
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
this is almost catherine wheel level stupidity of reasoning.

check out the youtube comments, they prove uh... something!
The reasoning is perfectly valid. For example, everyone on this board apparently hates Run2Me, I'll admit, I skip it, but if you load https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb6bmluuKxs someone says:

Tomás Cullen
2 weeks ago
Say what you want. This is a beautiful song. You might expect something different coming from The Smashing Pumpkins, but if you judge it just as a song, is a great song.

See? This person derives happiness from that musical creation. I like about 90% of what Billy has made since 2007... and I liked about 90% of what he made in the 90's. I won't shit talk the other 10%, because I know there are people out there that do like it, and I don't believe Billy meant anyone ill will when he was writing that other 10%.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #133
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

the fuck

Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #134
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i think run2me is one of the better tracks on monuments

fact is people aren't complaining about 10%

Old 10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #135
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I remember the reaction to Machina was largely positive at the time, but most agreed that that Arising tour versions were better and that the album was overproduced. The album had leaked about a month before the release date. And pretty much everyone hated the Imploding Voice.

EVERYYYYWHERE YOU ARE IS EVERYTHING IS YOU ARRRRE IS EVERYWHERE YOU GO IS EVERYONE KNOW NO MATTER HOW FAAAAR YOU'RE EVERYWHERE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE EVERYWHERE YOU ARE EVERYWHERE YOU AAAAAAAHHHHHH

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b9eb...itemid=5922988

Last edited by Zer0 Hour : 10-17-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #136
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Virulently negative since I began lurking in 2002.... and waaaaay more foul and inappropriate back in the day

Old 10-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #137
Eulogy
huh

I actually quite like monuments and think it’s easily the best post breakup release outside of TFE but

I have not enjoyed posts by monumentsrocks

Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #138
redbreegull

Monumentsrocks has some questionable powers of logic and reasoning

Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #139
redbreegull

He seems to be operating on the faulty premises that

1) if a subgroup of fans enjoyed MTAE, that means it is "objectively good" (he seems to have a hang up on determining objective quality) and

2) if a subgroup of fans enjoyed MTAE, that means all fans actually enjoyed MTAE

and then he is coming to the truly baffling conclusion that we are thusly all lying and actually love the album

seriously what kind of fucked up shit is this

Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #140
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
He seems to be operating on the faulty premises that

1) if a subgroup of fans enjoyed MTAE, that means it is "objectively good" (he seems to have a hang up on determining objective quality) and

2) if a subgroup of fans enjoyed MTAE, that means all fans actually enjoyed MTAE

and then he is coming to the truly baffling conclusion that we are thusly all lying and actually love the album

seriously what kind of fucked up shit is this
Start with this easy premise: the purpose of music is to entertain. Therefore, if even one person is entertained, it's good, because it served it's purpose. Logic!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #141
redbreegull

Quote:
Start with this easy premise: the purpose of music is to entertain. Therefore, if even one person is entertained, it's good, because it served it's purpose. Logic!
Has nothing to do with you claiming we all secretly love MTAE

Old 10-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #142
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Of course popular things can be objectively bad. This is because taste is an aesthetic judgement. Many people have poor taste because they haven't had much exposure to other art forms and are not surrounded by people cultivating their artistic faculties. Therefore they are in a poor position to make a judgement about art: they have poor taste because they cannot compare art and judge it as good. This is why people at dog shows are good at judging in dogs - they have seen a shitload of dogs in many different places.

I present as evidence the art of Thomas Kinkade, which is both popular and total shit.

Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #143
redbreegull

Thomas Kinkade famously dropped trou at Disney Land while drunk, took a piss on a statue of Mickey and said, "This one's for you, Walt."

Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #144
redbreegull

Taste is subjective though, regardless. That painting gave my eyes cancer, but there are people who love Thomas Kinkade and they aren't objectively wrong. There are interesting ways to argue about the quality of something artistic, but not when people start invoking objectivity, which isn't a real thing.

People who are into something may have "refined" taste, but I'm not sure how clear it really is how much of that taste is formed by experiencing a lot of something in a vacuum or from being exposed to the culture of other people who are really into that thing, or both. You can get a bunch of art history professors together, and they will tell you Kinkade sucks, and that is kind of a good argument because those people have strong ethos on the subject... but truly at the end of the day there is no way to define what is artistically good or bad.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #145
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Has nothing to do with you claiming we all secretly love MTAE
You and other claim to hate it, but it's art, and I don't think art is generally hateable, unless, say, it's art that espouses something you hate that is not art, say racism or chauvinism. MTaE doesn't allude to anything hateable outside of itself, unless some kid named Dorian beat you up in grade school. The forum doth protest too much, methinks.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #146
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

I was just visiting an old folks community the other day. Thomas Kinkade prints everywhere.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #147
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Question

How about a chilling sundown...

https://uploads6.wikiart.org/images/....jpg!Large.jpg

"Wir wollen den totalen Untergang!"

Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #148
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
This painting made me laugh out loud, the more I looked at it. Maybe that wasn't the intention, but better off for the experience all the same.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #149
FoolofaTook

that painting is awesome

imagine looking at that on mdma

Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #150
redbreegull

Quote:
You and other claim to hate it, but it's art, and I don't think art is generally hateable, unless, say, it's art that espouses something you hate that is not art, say racism or chauvinism.
this is just vague, out there nonsense.

the album sucks. I already explained to you the obvious, which is that this whole community is basically people who love the old music and have been alienated from the new music. 18 years in the making, baby. We have our own group identity at this point. I really don't think it's that difficult to grasp, you just really want to justify your perplexing love for a really terrible, lifeless, uninspired album.