Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #91
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Mads is looking like One-Eye got his eye back after accidentally migrating to the Americas.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #92
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

LOL Good luck with that!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/201...cott-claiming/

Old 12-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #93
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Damn I'm so stoked to not see this

I had the greatest time not seeing the first one but I really think not seeing this one has the potential to top it
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upl...3796069834.jpg

Old 12-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #94
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

lots of positive fan boy reaction online following the Rogue One premiere.

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/...-premiere.html

Old 12-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #95
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

rebellions are built on hope

Old 12-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #96
redbreegull

I thought this movie was about Wedge Antilles

Old 12-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #97
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

LOL you've said that before

Old 12-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #98
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Lucas saw a cut of the film and gave it his approval. that could be good or bad.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #99
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I got tickets for this. Too late to turn back now.

Unfortunately this isn't the mission many Bothans died on.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #100
yo soy el mejor

lucas as in george? that dude got kicked out of chicago by friends of the park. go build the museum at your house, lucas.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #101
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I thought he meant Lucas from Days of Our Lives.

http://i.imgur.com/t80WFYq.jpg

Nice chivos.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #102
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

positive reviews coming out today.

No spoiler reveiw at The Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/1...gue-one-review

mild spoilers

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...gareth-edwards

Spoiler free from Peter Travers

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...review-w454808

Quote:
Talk about a blast from the past – Rogue One: A Star Wars Story literally is just that. Taking place just before the events of the first released Star Wars movie in 1977, this spin-off/prequel has the same primitive, lived-in, emotional, loopy, let's-put-on-a-show spirit that made us fall in love with the original trilogy. It's the first stand-alone chapter in the franchise, and not the bridge between then and now that J.J. Abrams cleverly constructed last year with Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As a movie, it can feel alternately slow and rushed, cobbled together out of spare parts, and in need of more time of the drawing board. But the damn thing is alive and bursting with the euphoric joy of discovery that caught us up in the adventurous fun nearly four decades ago. Familiar faces, human and droid, make cameos. But not once do you doubt that the new characters are breathing the same air as Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and that baddest of badasses, Darth Vader.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #103
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I have nowhere else to dump this for a few days so please enjoy.

***IN CASE YOU DIDNT READ THAT, VAGUE PLOT SPOILERS I GUESS NOT THAT BAD REALLY***

Contrary to the presiding idea that it's pretty "bleak", this movie was for the most part a heap of fun. It has a heap of flaws, there's a bunch of stuff that is unnecessary or just straight up doesn't make any sense, but as much of a cop out as this sounds - it's Star Wars. That stuff happens.

Not gonna sugarcoat it - IMO the first twenty minutes of this film was a shambles. The cold open is fumbled, the scenes with Jyn's backstory don't really click, the planet jumping feels disorienting. It takes quite a while - and a good number of walkers and star destroyers and stormtroopers, maybe more than it should have - to feel like a Star Wars film. But once the film hits its stride, around when the action breaks out in Jehda City, it's goodies on all fronts.

The action sequences are gratifyingly modern, numerous, explosion-happy, and heaps of fun (I didn't think much of the idea of a martial arts character in SW when I saw it in the trailer, but it brings some much needed texture to the usual shoot-from-cover business), there's plenty of planet hopping, a healthy dose of fan service that is far smarter and less mindlessly winking than TFA, and what could well be the best space battle in the history of the franchise.

It looks great, doesn't have that triple-A JJ sheen like TFA but still really brilliantly shot, the sound design is great (though the kid replacing John Williams does an admirable job but fails to fill the shoes, much to the film's detriment), the set pieces are great. There's a lack of the atmospheric flair that the main films are afforded by way of being a bit slower paced, but that's forgiven. The sense of scale is brilliantly realised, but the CGI budget could have been a little higher in one or two places (lots of people complained about CGI Peter Cushing but I thought he was fine - a tad creepy, but not enough to really be a problem compared to some of what we put up with in the prequels)

The character development is pretty thin, more or less by design/necessity given the ensemble cast, and sometimes the film banks on you caring more about some characters than is justified - but it all kind of comes out in the wash. For a film series that has always banked on familiarity and continuity, asking viewers to care about a bunch of new characters that aren't directly connected to characters they already know is a new task, so they get some concessions. That said, the acting mostly ranges from good to excellent. Felicity Jones does a great job carrying with what is ultimately a pretty blockily written character, Mendelsohn is all kinds of excellent, Riz Ahmed and Genevieve O'Reilly were standouts, and i'll always take a little more Jimmy Smits. I found Mads Mikkelsen to be the one weak link. James Earl Jones is too old to nail the Vader voice again perfectly. I found it a little jarring but I'll give him a pass cause that's a minute between gigs in that role and he's old as.

Rogue definitely feels like a black sheep from the outset and throughout in the SW franchise, but that's not a detraction of any sort. It's an engaging sci-fi flick on its own two feet, and that's all it needed to be.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #104
FoolofaTook

Wuddup sj

i didn't read the above post (of course) but i did see sleep and i got a boris heavy rocks shirt. there's also a boris thread in the music forums.

feel free to pos rep me.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:42 AM   #105
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Saw it earlier tonight. Very good. Lots of easter eggs for fans and some cool cameos.

The very last word spoken in the film is "hope"

seeing it again on Sunday.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:54 AM   #106
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

a LOT of shots from the trailers are not even in the movie. My guess is that the reshoots ended up changing the film's final act. highlight for spoilers:

in the earlier trailers there was a shot of Jyn in the "beach battle," which is actually at the very end of the film, and she's running on the ground with the data tape of the death star plans and firing a gun. in the film that never happens. she gets the data tape, but she never has it on the ground outside of the base where she finds it. Once you see the film you'll realize that if they filmed battle scenes of her running across the beach with the data tape it means they had a different ending in mind at some point. The trailers also show Krennic on the ground on that planet as well. In the film he never goes outside the base where the plot of the film effectively ends.

the very first trailer had a shot which is in the film where Jyn says "may the force be with US." She says it incorrectly, with the emphasis on the wrong words and the cadence of the phrase all wrong. There's a specific way to say "may the force be with us." In one of the later trailers and in the film they use either a different take or a reshoot where she says it correctly.

My thoughts on Vader, highlight to read

So there are two Vader scenes. One starts with him out of his suit in a tank. the rest of the scene is him suited up and having a conversation with Krennic. They got vader down. Looks exactly right. The second scene is at the very end and it shows Vader slaughtering armed rebels who are trapped in a hallway trying to escape. It's a very short scene, but it ends with him looking badass and staring at the Tantiv V flying awayt. He might have a total of 3 min in the movie. I was hoping for a lot more, but they used him sparingly and i think just enough to tie the films ending to A New Hope.

Overall the CGI and practical effects are nearly perfect. It looks like it literally is the same time and some of the same ships and minor characters as the original film. But there are a couple of BIG CGI scenes... highlight to read

Tarkin is a big character in the film. He's in a number of scenes and he's completely CGI. They got his voice right. Nearly perfect. I think casual fans might not even notice that he's a CGI character. He interacts with other characters very smoothly in the film. But especially in close ups of his face he is obviously CGI. The very last scene/shot of the film includes a princess Leia that looks and sounds perfect. She's only on screen for two lines of dialogue. Maybe only 10 seconds. It's literally right before the opening sequence of A New Hope. I assume she was CGI, but unlike Tarkin she looked very real. I'd heard they'd used Ingvild Deila to play Leia. Maybe it's just amazing make up and acting.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 12-16-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #107
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

things this movie did really well:

1 - the overwhelming decimation of the futile rebellion by the sheer scale and brutality of the empire

2 - matching the look and feel of the original films. They actually used footage shot for the original which was found at Skywalker ranch

3 - kind of going off #2, tons of production value went into blatant fan service such as CGI Tarkin, and the vintage footage. Also integrating details from the books and games. Anyone who played Galaxies or the Jedi Knight games probably noticed tons of little things throughout the movies. And of course the ending is what we were expecting in Episode III, more blatant fan service

4 - World-building, development of settings. My biggest gripe with 7 was the lack of world-building/development or visually fleshing out of alien worlds. The prequels actually did it very well (at the expense of character development and direction but whatever). All of the settings in Rogue One were unique and vibrant

Old 12-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #108
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

also spoilers but if you're reading this you already saw it or are militantly opposed to doing so

when did CGI get good enough where we can do closeups of human faces? The only reason I knew that Leia and Tarkin were CGI is that Peter Cushing died decades ago and Carrie Fisher isn't 17. I'd say we're like 95% there.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #109
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

spoiler answer for Killtrocity below

I saw it again today. The first viewing on Thursday I so easily bought the CGI Leia that I questioned whether it was actually CGI or just a damn good actor and make-up job. Partly i think it works so well because it's a tiny 10 second or less glimpse of her. Plus it's such an emotional point in the film. You watch every single important character die, then Vader viciously kill a hallway full of people. As a viewer it feels like everything is lost. And then you get that amazing surprise of seeing Leia, and it reminds you that everything isn't lost. Everything will be OK.

Tarkin is in multiple scenes with a lot of dialogue. Lots of time to pick up on the uncanny valley effect. However, the CGI is damn fucking good. And his voice is nearly perfect. It wasn't just visually well done. It was great character acting!

I saw it today with my mother. She's seen every single SW movie with me in the theatres. Starting with A New Hope on opening day in 1977. Afterward I asked her if she noticed Tarkin was CGI. She didn't. It didn't register with her while watching the film. I don't think that it fooled all that many people. But i'm sure there are some viewers who simply won't notice that there's anything odd about the Tarkin scenes.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #110
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

More spoiler type info

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/...rogue-one.html

Quote:
“It was played by an actor called Guy Henry [above], who’s in Holby City, and he was amazing,” Edwards revealed. “It was a massive thing for him, it was very gracious of him, because essentially he’s doing this big performance and getting zero credit for it,” Edwards went on. “He was gonna be totally replaced, and then had to keep it all secret. So, um, that was a big ask.”

“I mean ideally, you get the original actors to play these roles, but it’s been 30-odd years since then, and so it’s impossible,” Edwards explained.
“People have aged so much that you can’t even get them to do the motion capture. As you get older you’re not the same, your whole body language is different. “And so, we had to cast specific actors to play them. And there was an audition process for all of that as well.”
http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/wp-co...ry-768x444.png

Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #111
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I guess we ought to look on the bright side, really. There's a chance we'll get a computer-generated Brando instead of having Shia LaBeouf play Vito Corleone in the inevitable reboot of his origin story.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #112
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

thx for the link scotty, very cool. I also was unsure initially if prosthetics or CGI were used but definitely detected the "uncanny" effect. I'll test my mother's perception over Christmas

Old 12-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #113
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

How is your mom still alive, scott-y? Aren't you 60 something

Old 12-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #114
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

This movie was worth the $12.50 I paid to see it, which is more than most movies can say for themselves, these days.

Will pay $12.50 to see the next one on the big screen.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #115
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I guess we ought to look on the bright side, really. There's a chance we'll get a computer-generated Brando instead of having Shia LaBeouf play Vito Corleone in the inevitable reboot of his origin story.

Many many years ago when I tried to commit suicide one of the young ICU nurses that took care of me said she also worked as Kathryn Hepburn's home nurse up until she died. She wore her makeup like her. Sometimes I don't know if that is a real memory or a dream.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #116
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
Many many years ago when I tried to commit suicide one of the young ICU nurses that took care of me said she also worked as Kathryn Hepburn's home nurse up until she died. She wore her makeup like her. Sometimes I don't know if that is a real memory or a dream.
she's probably a liar.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:13 AM   #117
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It wasn't like I coulda fact checked that one. Hey should I go to Sanibel island or see this movie

Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #118
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I liked it overall.
But couldn't shake the fact that overall it feels kinda inessential.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #119
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Why hasn't scottytheoneand dropped in to inform us of Princess Leia's massive heart attack?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #120
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i'm too upset