Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-19-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
failure

Arrow fat people to pay for two seats on southwest airlines

(CNN) -- Southwest Airlines says it will begin enforcing a 22-year-old policy next week when it routinely charges large passengers for a second seat on its flights.

Starting June 26, Southwest passengers who are booked on full flights and need seat belt extensions, or whose bodies extend beyond the 18 3/4 inch cushions, will be required to purchase a second seat, said Christine Turneabe-Connelly, a Southwest spokeswoman.

"It's a policy that has been in place since 1980," Turneabe-Connelly said. "Over the years, we allowed some flexibility with the agents at the time of check-in. As of June 26, we will be consistent."

After examining the impact of the policy during the last few years, the airline's managers determined the flexibility created inconsistency and caused more stress for passengers and gate agents than it eliminated, Turneabe-Connelly said.

Gate agents might not have asked large passengers to purchase second seats on their outbound, partially-full Wednesday flight, but then those same people would get slammed with an extra fee on the overbooked Friday afternoon return flight.

Scenarios like that exacerbated tenuous interactions between employees and "people of size," Turneabe-Connelly said. "It's already a very difficult and sensitive issue to address."

All of Southwest's flights offer coach-sized seating. Business and first-class seats do not exist. And the "people of size" policy only applies to full flights where a larger person would not have access to an empty seat.

If a larger person required a second seat on an already full flight, then the flight would go into an oversell situation, and the crew would ask for volunteers to give up their seats, Turneabe-Connelly said.

The policy does not necessarily mean large people will pay double fares. If a person bought a ticket within the 14-day advance purchase window and knew they needed extra space, then that passenger would buy two tickets at that discounted fee.

However, if a person was buying a full-price ticket at the last minute for business or bereavement reasons, one seat would sell for the higher, walk-up fare, and the second one at the 14-day advance purchase price, Turneabe-Connelly said.

If a passenger buys a second seat and the plane is subsequently not full, passengers may get a refund. That too, Turneabe-Connelly said, has been the airline's policy since 1980.

The policy is really to ensure the comfort of all passengers, said Beth Harbin, a Southwest spokeswoman. Complaints from people of size have been rare, she said. Most complaints have come from people who felt discomforted by sitting next to larger passengers.

Old 06-19-2002, 10:11 PM   #2
Salena Child

Talking

it's about time, i hate being squished by fatties in airplanes!

Old 06-19-2002, 10:33 PM   #3
TiaraGurl

I seem to remember some guy suing another airline over this kind of thing at some point.

I had 22 shares of southwest stock but sold it over the weekend-which was not related to this.

Old 06-19-2002, 10:35 PM   #4
kypper

As well they should.
Obesity can be controlled; if you require 2 seats, then you pay for not correcting your health issue.

Old 06-19-2002, 11:09 PM   #5
SPZero

thats how it should be! I dont want someone with more rolls than a bakery on me the whole flight.

Old 06-19-2002, 11:16 PM   #6
MisterSquishyHalo

Quote:
Originally posted by Salena Child:
it's about time, i hate being squished by fatties in airplanes!
Your still going to get squished, because it just means a fat person will try and squeeze into one seat, rather than lounge into 2. heh.

Old 06-19-2002, 11:17 PM   #7
MisterSquishyHalo

Quote:
Originally posted by kypper:
As well they should.
Obesity can be controlled; if you require 2 seats, then you pay for not correcting your health issue.
Obesity is also a genetic issue, not just a health issue.

Old 06-19-2002, 11:19 PM   #8
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:
But even if it's genetic, it can be overcome. Predisposition just means they aren't allowed to be lazy. I'm sorry, but I don't respect people who fuck (or allow the fucking of) their bodies like that.

Old 06-19-2002, 11:21 PM   #9
misho

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:
who cares about genetic issues?

Old 06-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #10
MisterSquishyHalo

Quote:
Originally posted by misho:
who cares about genetic issues?

Obviouslly you dont heh.

Old 06-20-2002, 12:17 AM   #11
melancholia

i can't see how they can do this legally. the US government sees morbid obesity as a disability, and forcing heavier people to pay extra to sit on a plane is in direct violation of the Americans with Disibilities Act. I'm sure there will be lawsuits

My grandmother is a large woman... size 24. And she requires a seat belt extention when flying...but the reason for her obesity is the medication she's on that keeps her alive... it is unfair to treat people with a problem differently.

Old 06-20-2002, 12:31 AM   #12
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by melancholia:
i can't see how they can do this legally. the US government sees morbid obesity as a disability, and forcing heavier people to pay extra to sit on a plane is in direct violation of the Americans with Disibilities Act. I'm sure there will be lawsuits

My grandmother is a large woman... size 24. And she requires a seat belt extention when flying...but the reason for her obesity is the medication she's on that keeps her alive... it is unfair to treat people with a problem differently.
It is when it means that that's one less ticket in profit for the airlines because (most) of these people haven't gotten their weight under control by living a healthier lifestyle.

Old 06-20-2002, 01:20 AM   #13
FearFactory

Talking

The only elephant that should be flying is Dumbo.

Old 06-20-2002, 01:26 AM   #14
sawdust restaurants

Quote:
It is when it means that that's one less ticket in profit for the airlines because (most) of these people haven't gotten their weight under control by living a healthier lifestyle.
It doesn't matter. There will be lawsuits. The airlines will lose. I guarantee you this will be found to be in direct violation of the ADA.

Old 06-20-2002, 01:28 AM   #15
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants:
It doesn't matter. There will be lawsuits. The airlines will lose. I guarantee you this will be found to be in direct violation of the ADA.
Which is fucking pathetic. It is not your right to have other people suffer because you can't stop eating McDonalds and refuse to exercise.

[This message has been edited by kypper (edited 06-20-2002).]

Old 06-20-2002, 01:42 AM   #16
Random Female

melancolia's right; it ain't gonna fly. (no pun intended!) it'll get to the supreme court and they'll strike it down.

my beef is this: I am 5'2, weigh 115. On my trip home from china i was UNCOMFORTABLE AS FUCK. if little me is uncomfortable and cramped, how do the regular people feel? Then when i landed in san fran and changed planes to san diego, the seats were MUCH bigger and i was totally fine. so they fucked me on the 12 hour flight and on the 45 min one i was fine. they need to make the seats bigger period.

Old 06-20-2002, 01:48 AM   #17
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Female:
melancolia's right; it ain't gonna fly. (no pun intended!) it'll get to the supreme court and they'll strike it down.

my beef is this: I am 5'2, weigh 115. On my trip home from china i was UNCOMFORTABLE AS FUCK. if little me is uncomfortable and cramped, how do the regular people feel? Then when i landed in san fran and changed planes to san diego, the seats were MUCH bigger and i was totally fine. so they fucked me on the 12 hour flight and on the 45 min one i was fine. they need to make the seats bigger period.
You had a shitty plane. Every time I've flown, I've had tons of room.

Old 06-20-2002, 01:50 AM   #18
Random Female

Quote:
maybe so. i thought US airlines was supposed to be good, tho.

Old 06-20-2002, 02:08 AM   #19
Mark LeDrew

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants:
I guarantee you this will be found to be in direct violation of the ADA.
Now what does the American Dairy Association have to do with it?

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/kid.jpg

I hope you know a strong man who can lend you a hand lowering my casket.

Old 06-20-2002, 02:13 AM   #20
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Female:
Quote:
maybe so. i thought US airlines was supposed to be good, tho.

US Air sucks... But they should have good room, you're right. A standard of a certain width should come into effect.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:16 AM   #21
Mr. Rhinoceros

Lightbulb

As a fat man who does not take up two seats, I think this is totally fair.

------------------
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

Old 06-20-2002, 03:32 PM   #22
Lie

Well, it makes sense that they should have to pay for two seats. Otherwise the airline will lose money in order to accomodate them, which isn't fair.

But obesity, is, in almost all cases that are that extreme, partially genetic and partially psychological, and a definite disorder.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:12 PM   #23
FearFactory

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros:
As a fat man who does not take up two seats, I think this is totally fair.

SELLOUT!

Old 06-20-2002, 05:16 PM   #24
Houdini

i like fatties sitting next to me. theyre so soft and cuddly! i just rest my head on their heavy layer of flab and go to sleep

Old 06-20-2002, 05:16 PM   #25
Graveflower

Thumbs down

Quote:
Which is fucking pathetic. It is not your right to have other people suffer because you can't stop eating McDonalds and refuse to exercise.

There are very few people like that at all. I don't know if you were exaggerating for effect or you really believe that. It's a constant struggle, I don't know of many people who are content and don't try to do anything about it, including myself.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:45 PM   #26
melancholia

Quote:
how is it fair for these companies to determine how a person should live their life? in some cultures, obesity is respected, and is not considered gross. I was put onto medication for depression which made me gain weight. I am now 5'4 and 150... now, I know that this wouldn't affect me, but from the standpoint of a person who knows what it's like to feel like shit because of the way I look...I really empathize with the people this would affect. it's horrible.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:46 PM   #27
melancholia

Quote:
As well they should.
easier said than done, and some people are obese because of an uncontrolable health issue (hypothyroidism for one)... how is it fair for them? answer: it's not. make the fucking seats bigger...but don't make your passengers, your paying fucking customers feel even more like shit.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:48 PM   #28
melancholia

Quote:
Originally posted by SPZero:
thats how it should be! I dont want someone with more rolls than a bakery on me the whole flight.
then don't fly- i'm sure fat people don't like being treated like they're horrible people because of how they look. I can't believe a board that is normally so liberal can be so cruel about this issue.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:50 PM   #29
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by melancholia:
easier said than done, and some people are obese because of an uncontrolable health issue (hypothyroidism for one)... how is it fair for them? answer: it's not. make the fucking seats bigger...but don't make your passengers, your paying fucking customers feel even more like shit.
Well there is a limit to which we should go to accomodate those outside of the norm, especially if we are losing extreme profit due to it. A little bit of a seat englargement is fine, but I'm sorry - I don't think I should have to pay for extrodinary circumstances, and that is exactly where it is coming out of: THE AVERAGE PERSON'S TICKET PRICE. Make everyone else suffer so that you don't have to take responsibility; that's what the country is all about.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #30
melancholia

Quote:

wow, you have just fucking become the only person here i really can't fucking stand. why do you assume that obese people are lazy slobs? has it ever occured to you that some people actually have medical conditions that make them heavy? not everyone is able to dedicate a lot of their time into losing weight...and i sure as hell dont' want a fucking industry to dictate what is and what is not an acceptable weight for me or anyone else... the ADA will not let this happen.