Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #391
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Agree 100%, I don't want to see Jeff. He imposes his noodling on the band and doesn't add anything of value.

and Shallowed you're one to talk about being "self-important". You're literally the most arrogant person here.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #392
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

They will go down the path of least resistance

Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #393
fuzzyroes
Banned

Jeff's boring style aside, it allows Iha to take a complimentary role instead of having to carry the weight. It all rings of a cash-grab.

This way Iha can just mosey on out, tag along without really having much responsibility... If they would have had him out there as the other primary guitarist then that would be a big commitment. That would kick ass...

What Billy is planning for is essentially a cheap way to market a reunion without having to undergo a change in dynamics. Replacing James with Jeff? That's a radical change in the live dynamics. But they're obviously not willing to take the chance. Maybe it's too much of a commitment for James? Who the hell knows. But it sorta stinks.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 02-08-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #394
Shallowed
Braindead

More arrogant than a bunch of mouth-breathers acting like heartbroken teenagers over a group of grown-ass adults that want to play music together.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #395
fuzzyroes
Banned

It would bother fans much less if Jeff played bass... And that was what I was actually anticipating when I saw the leaked photo, but Billy squashed that possibility in his twitter post.

Jeff on bass would be the sensible idea... That way he's still in the fold to switch over to guitar when Iha bolts again

Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #396
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

4 Real. Let them do what they want to do. It will suck either way.

Me I shall listen to OM and Alcest and forget TSP ever existed.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #397
FoolofaTook

I was concurring with Swallowed.

Btw ya'll need to lay off of mouthbreathers. Some of us can't help it, being permanently congested and shit.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #398
byoung88
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Thanks man... I've seen no one really articulate it this way, but it's really the reason why I think it bothers people.

It allows the band to half-ass a James return but to fully capitalize on the idea.... There's no half-assing anything if it's just Billy and James ripping on the guitars.... That would be the real deal... Sink or swim, there's no getting away from it. There's nothing really new to the dynamics with James just essentially acting as the "special guest 3rd guitarist"... It essentially just ends up like what we saw during that acoustic run while he was there.
agreed.. I hope it all works out and I end up enjoying the new album but .. ugh.. even the 2016 mini reunion deal where Jeff was up there with James was just kinda cringey to me. They can essentially be each other's crutch.. it's weak.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #399
paranoid
Minion of Satan

pumpkins fans are really the worst.

you have sad machines who are all fucking nut jobs that will praise billy because when it comes down to it they all want to just straight up fuck him.

then you have netphoria where whiny ass threads like this exist.

I love that James is back. I love that Jimmy is back. I love that SP seems to be guitar focused again. No, i'm not into Jeff so much, but shit the best classic SP tracks had at least 900 guitar overdubs so I'm stoked to see what they do with this. Also the Zwan 3 guitar pileup live was MONSTROUS. The Billy James dynamic? I'm sure it'll rear it's head on this tour. so like, chill out.

Yeah I'm pissed Darcy's gone but something tells me if she came back all of this would have been extraordinarily short lived.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #400
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

so Shallowed you've gone from slagging off Oceania and MtaE to somehow defending Billy Corgan's honor on here? Quite a change.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #401
byoung88
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post

you have sad machines who are all fucking nut jobs that will praise billy because when it comes down to it they all want to just straight up fuck him.

I love that James is back. I love that Jimmy is back. I love that SP seems to be guitar focused again. No, i'm not into Jeff so much, but shit the best classic SP tracks had at least 900 guitar overdubs so I'm stoked to see what they do with this. Also the Zwan 3 guitar pileup live was MONSTROUS. The Billy James dynamic? I'm sure it'll rear it's head on this tour. so like, chill out.

Yeah I'm pissed Darcy's gone but something tells me if she came back all of this would have been extraordinarily short lived.
Fair points. Makes me look forward to it a little more.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #402
redbreegull

Quote:

basically this. also consider OP made a thread last week about how the new album is "gonna rock"

Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #403
T&T
Socialphobic

jeff sucks. what else needs to be said?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #404
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
so Shallowed you've gone from slagging off Oceania and MtaE to somehow defending Billy Corgan's honor on here? Quite a change.
You're being obtuse on multiple levels

Firstly I actually enjoyed Oceania and MTAE for a few listens, mainly because I was excited to hear new music from Billy. I got bored of them pretty quickly though. They're not terrible records but they're definitely underwhelming despite some decent moments. If I've ever been harsh on them, it was probably hyperbolic. I don't think I've cared about either record enough to do do a write-up about them, this paragraph is probably the most I've written about them.

Secondly, criticising a complete album as a recording and piece of art is different to criticising the mere plan of a line-up for an anticipated live tour.

Thirdly, it's not out of the ordinary to criticise someone for something and praise them for something else. That's just basic nuance. I'm not a Sad Machine Corganite that swallows everything he does with glee and worship.

Fourthly, it's hardly defending someone's honour to suggest that everyone chill the fuck out over something as inconsequential as two people playing together. All of the reasoning behind it is immature bullshit based on a combination of pure nostalgia and blind hostility for a competent and professional musician. If I am defending anyone's honour, it's Jeff's.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #405
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

were you "my god a member of over 10 years is STILL going to be on stage" whiners planning on purchasing half a dozen tour tickets and now the JJJ combination prevents you from doing that or something?

these people are going to play a couple of gigs together, THE NERVE.

when paranoid and shallowed are the voice of reason, you know something must be really off!

and again, can anyone answer me this - scenario Jeff gets kicked. then we have october and this tour is done. do you expect Bolly to find a new bandmate for every live performance he does after he got rid of Jeff?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #406
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
basically this. also consider OP made a thread last week about how the new album is "gonna rock"
The new album has nothing to do with the touring bands dynamics... I've gotta imagine Billy is taking care of most of the guitars in the studio anyways... Hopefully James can add his special touch to it.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 02-08-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #407
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

He has a right to keep Jeff around if that's what he wants. But you all know that Billy's going to whine to the press when this whole thing flops about how fans are living in the past and stuck on nostalgia; all while disregarding the fact that he teased a "reunion" of the original line up for nearly 2 years.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #408
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
and again, can anyone answer me this - scenario Jeff gets kicked. then we have october and this tour is done. do you expect Bolly to find a new bandmate for every live performance he does after he got rid of Jeff?
Switch him over to the hole that D'arcy's absence leaves at bass. Billy could politely explain that he wants him in the band but that 3 guitars live would be unnecessary. Jeff would be happy to partake and if he was a little hesitant I'm sure it's nothing that a little extra money wouldn't solve.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:49 PM   #409
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
He has a right to keep Jeff around if that's what he wants. But you all know that Billy's going to whine to the press when this whole thing flops about how fans are living in the past and stuck on nostalgia; all while disregarding the fact that he teased a "reunion" of the original line up for nearly 2 years.
of course he will. but you know, fuck him and whatever he rambles about anyway. I am looking forward to hearing JC live, no matter how much we whine (I do, too, "darcy darcy whawhawah") JC is one of the best drummers I ever heard live, so.

imagine we had gotten an announcement during the Mikey-bambam years that JC would go on tour with Bolly. Would anyone not have been incredibly happy? Now we have that, and James. Realistically, we will never see a a greater tour line up than this.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #410
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I'm watching a 2016 spacebar with james and he's not taking a backseat role. it sounds fantastic.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #411
fuzzyroes
Banned

Hey look, It's the best situation we've had in years. I was simply articulating why having Jeff on guitar sucks.

I'd go check out a tour if it was the Manson tour lineup, and James being added as a 3rd guitarist makes it cooler...

All I'm saying is that they've definitely miscalculated if they're planning to spin this as a reunion tour.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #412
paranoid
Minion of Satan

also i'm excited to see what kind of setlist they put together considering that 3 guitars will be involved. we're going to be getting some seriously loud/psych pumpkins material out of this.

and if anyone will be taking a backseat on guitar, it'll most likely be Billy. he seemed to do less on the 2015 tour if i remember right.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #413
paranoid
Minion of Satan

and of course they'll spin it with the reunion aspect, billy james and jimmy are on stage and recording together again.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #414
fuzzyroes
Banned

It seems to me this is a way they can hype a James return without him actually having to go the full 9 yards.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #415
Shallowed
Braindead

It's just a band.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #416
paranoid
Minion of Satan

who said he wasn't going full 9 yards?

and to be fair, when had he gone full 9 yards in SP before? seems like he's taking on the same role he had before.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #417
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's like the Foo's and Pat Smear... There was really no reason to bring Pat Smear back if you're going to keep Shiflett in the lineup, but they made room for him anyways for the sake of the image.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #418
Shallowed
Braindead

It's all in your head

Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #419
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

and to be fair, when had he gone full 9 yards in SP before? seems like he's taking on the same role he had before.
Jeff is clearly there to take the load off of James. With Jeff knowing all the songs they can easily just get James some little parts to play, that way Billy isn't starting from scratch with him again.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #420
pavementtune

Quote:

- realistic expectations
- the role he had until 1997ish when he mentally checked out? I love your optimism but where exactly did you get the idea that James forgot the past 20 years. did he dump his band? did he show up to play with Bolly more than one weekend in LA? has he been seen in the studio like JC?