Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2017, 04:53 AM   #121
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yeah there are no musicians in their 50s who put out good music. once you are in your 50s, you can only make "corny old guy" music.
now i'm expecting a fuzzy reply that starts with "let's face it".

Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #122
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i guess the main difference there is that Brian just lost his mind, not his soul
this.

Quote:
alternatively tho, i re-discovered my copy of that second Teargarden EP the other day and, i'll be damned if that ain't the best thing he's put out in the past 10 years
TbK gets a lot of misdirected hate. Mickey Bam Bam was the biggest problem people had with that shit, IMO.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #123
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon View Post

TbK gets a lot of misdirected hate. Mickey Bam Bam was the biggest problem people had with that shit, IMO.
also the vocals and production and about 70% of the songwriting though

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #124
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
yeah corgan's got his own brand of "post-peak" disappointment

i don't think there's a single other band or artist i've been a fan of that's gotten so far from their past achievements as "C-dawg" has
even Brian Wilson came back to deliver some pretty sweet releases in the past couple of decades

i guess the main difference there is that Brian just lost his mind, not his soul
IMO Bill's greatest failing is that everything he puts out nowadays is just toothless and easily digestible. I can think of a fair number of artists I loved who've put out terrible, embarrassing atonal shit worse than what Bill's offered up. The problem is that what Bill puts out is just...unremarkable for the most part.

It's especially a bitch considering the heights he once hit.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #125
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

The real issue is we all know he has decades worth of better stuff in the can and routinely abandons his best work after a few live performances.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #126
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yeah there are no musicians in their 50s who put out good music. once you are in your 50s, you can only make "corny old guy" music.
The operative word there was 'corny', pal.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #127
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
IMO Bill's greatest failing is that everything he puts out nowadays is just toothless and easily digestible. I can think of a fair number of artists I loved who've put out terrible, embarrassing atonal shit worse than what Bill's offered up. The problem is that what Bill puts out is just...unremarkable for the most part.

It's especially a bitch considering the heights he once hit.
Yeah, for sure man.

Billy's music used to have so many layers and there was a lot to sink your teeth into. For the longest while he's just released these really basic compositions... I think it has to do with the lack of other musicians contributing... Monuments had some cool songs, but they too were all super basic.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #128
bonnieprince
Oblivious Virgin

Its not racist that I expected Bobby Franks to be on the record because of the cover art? Right?

Old 08-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #129
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds just like the stuff we heard he demoing a lot in 2009/2010. Also, this has to be the worst his voice sounded - in terms of the vibrato - since Zeitgeist.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #130
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Don't know how to pronounce the name of the album so I'm just going to call it The Legos Album.

http://i.imgur.com/h2TqbAN.jpg

Old 08-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #131
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

The reason his music is all so basic and rudimentary is because his passion is gone. We're only getting these sporadic releases because WPC is more business man than artist now.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #132
Unicycle
Pledge

More wrastlin'
Less music

Still, I feel like I can't fault the guy for changing. If he's making the music he wants to make then more power to him. I liked Monuments but it really gave off the impression that he was just trying to become "relevant" again with it. Not sure what Ogee la la will be like

Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #133
hafsteinn
Pledge

Honestly, this song would sound ok if he wouldnt do that vibrato thing.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #134
cork_soaker
full of longing

and if it were better

Old 08-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #135
Ram27
dumb

that is a really good question. I almost can't believe that the same man that played 75% of the instruments on siamese dream made this

Old 08-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #136
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Gotta say that OHH-OHH part in the verse is pretty catchy. It's got what the kids need! Pep!

I can't unhear the vibrato though. I wonder if he'll be doing press/TV for this song.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:23 AM   #137
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
The reason his music is all so basic and rudimentary is because his passion is gone. We're only getting these sporadic releases because WPC is more business man than artist now.

I think you nailed it.

I remember an interview where Billy talked about the past.
He talked about how he was REALLY into music back then. It was all about the music basically.

His biggest mistake was considering him a businessman first at some point.

That's why he made some awful decisions like:

- not releasing his Chicago album (because fans on the internet wanted electric stuff)
- hiring Byrne (because he thought having a young drummer in the band would attract a young audience)
- promoting wrestling to SP fans
- promoting his tea house to SP fans

Billy stopped trusting his musical instincts and started listening to his inner businessman.

I guess it's like a muscle...if you do that too often, the musical instinct will fade away.

It's still not dead yet though...you could see it during the In Plainsong tour. There were moments of passion, fueled by Jimmy and James.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #138
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
This really feels like he's phoning it in, but why? If he doesn't have passion for it anymore then why still crank it out?
That's how he wants to see himself - as an artist. You have to release stuff to earn that title, I guess.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #139
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Let's face it: Billy Corgan is William Patrick Corgan now.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #140
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Phoning it in is right.

Being Beige, SPFC blurb:

"A hot rocker that [producer] Howard [Willing] professed love for. "Ok," I said from beneath thick grandma wraparounds. "We'll try it." And like all those riff songs, they go around and around till the thrill is gone and then someone suggests (might have been me), "shouldn't there be, like, a chorus?" Eventually I'd tack one on, and it was good. Let there be light."

I mean, if I just take this at face value and assume there's no snark going on, this conversation is too fucking depressing for words and shouldn't even be happening.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #141
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
That's how he wants to see himself - as an artist. You have to release stuff to earn that title, I guess.
Billy has very clearly seen himself as a super-talent at least since the 'reunion'. He's never been able to take criticism well, but it's gotten to the point in the last decade or so where he's effectively surrounded himself with yes-men.

He constantly needs his ego to be fed (clearly mommy and daddy didn't give lil' Billy enough attention when he was growing up), and Rick Ruben is probably the biggest named producer who can do that.

The thing is that Ruben isn't a producer so much as he's a consultant (he probably only ever receives producer credits as those are more financially/critically lucrative than receiving a simple thanks in an album's linear notes for being a 'consultant'). He won't challenge an artist, he'll simply suggest solutions for problems when the artist approaches him whenever issues come up, and listen to the final product while laying on his couch.

As a rule I refuse to listen or purchase anything produced by Rick Ruben. Historically there have been several albums that I bought that were produced by him that I hated (Audioslave's first album and Metallica's Death Magnetic are the first two albums that come to mind), so I feel I've learned my lesson and will pass on William Patrick's upcoming album, as I'm sure most other people will.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #142
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Phoning it in is right.

Being Beige, SPFC blurb:

"A hot rocker that [producer] Howard [Willing] professed love for. "Ok," I said from beneath thick grandma wraparounds. "We'll try it." And like all those riff songs, they go around and around till the thrill is gone and then someone suggests (might have been me), "shouldn't there be, like, a chorus?" Eventually I'd tack one on, and it was good. Let there be light."

I mean, if I just take this at face value and assume there's no snark going on, this conversation is too fucking depressing for words and shouldn't even be happening.
I always wondered this... in what fucking universe is "Being Beige" a 'hot rocker'?

Old 08-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #143
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 08-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #144
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Amazing news from CONSEQUENCE OF SOUND:

"Billy Corgan has several projects in the works, including a new Smashing Pumpkins album, several archival releases and a 1,000-page (and counting) memoir. There’s also been talk of a reunion of Smashing Pumpkins’ classic lineup. First up, however, is a new Corgan solo album, produced by the great Rick Rubin. The album is called Ogilala, spans 11 tracks, and is due out October 13th. The first single, a lush piano- and- string ballad called “Aeronaut”, is streaming below."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...us-tour-dates/

Consequences for spreading lush old announcements...

Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #145
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I just realized what about the vibrato is pissing me off this time.

I think he's officially crossed into Jim Breuer Goat Boy territory and I can't fucking unhear it

https://1835441770.rsc.cdn77.org/sta...r-goat-boy.jpg

This MountA-A-A-A-AIN's born of U-U-U-U-S

Lovers won't you mourn with MEEEE-E-E-E-E-E-E

Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #146
run2pee
Minion of Satan

The vibrato truly sux such enormous fux it's astonishing he persists with it, especially considering he's perfectly capable of extremely powerful singing in his old style, as evidenced by the plainsong tour. Lil bill just wanna show all the haters he learnt to Proper Sing or what???

Old 08-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #147
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

More like Aero- NOT!

I'll be here all week.....

Old 08-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #148
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

is he gonna keep saying, "trust me on this one" like he did when TFE came out?

Old 08-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #149
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
It's never a good sign that your lead single is a piano ballad. It's also not a good sign that it completely sucks but ostensibly is the most accessible song on the album.

"Having written the songs for voice and guitar," Corgan continued, "I put myself in Rick's hands to take the music wherever he'd like."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ronaut-w498867

Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #150
pinballzero
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
The vibrato truly sux such enormous fux it's astonishing he persists with it, especially considering he's perfectly capable of extremely powerful singing in his old style, as evidenced by the plainsong tour. Lil bill just wanna show all the haters he learnt to Proper Sing or what???
This