Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #91
redbull
Immortal

ugh so i wrote a long review of this other mix but I lost it, suffice to say the second mix I reviewed was p. cool. It had police radio edited in over each song for totally smooth transitions, and even with the super disparate styles it worked really well. 9/10 would listen again

Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #92
slunken
Virgo

1. dr. hook - get my rocks off
2. tom t hall - faster horses
3. james brown - papa don't take no mess
4. the highwaymen - silver stallion
5. doug supernaw - daddy
6. chris safan ft donna summer - she works hard for the time travel
7. cappadonna - 97 mentality
8. al green ft gavin rossdale - everything love and happiness and zen

Code:
 "outlaw fantasy" - http://www.mediafire.com/?4tssplc8sjoylde
inspired by watching cops. mixed mixtape cut into individual tracks. music to ruin your life to.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #93
slunken
Virgo

music to get stabbed by your wife and then get arrested to

Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #94
slunken
Virgo

drunken medium speed chase music

Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #95
slunken
Virgo

music to lie to the cops about your warrants to

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #96
slunken
Virgo

assault music b/w theme from the back of the cruiser

Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #97
slunken
Virgo

http://appsforipads.net/wp-content/u...ike_button.png

Old 11-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #98
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
then again i didn't love it either - i just wasn't moved either way other than the length
alright! how's this!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #99
slunken
Virgo

do you work for these guys or something?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #100
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

sorry I have been such a dick about reviewing my mix. I feel bad for busting sonic johnny's balls for taking so long to send in his mix when I have taken so long to review mine. anyway

1. this is a hip-hop song. maybe outkast? easy enough to listen to but I can't really do hip hop. unfortunately I think I may just be too old at this point to learn to understand or appreciate it as a music form. it's probably my biggest failure on my musical sojourn.... I just don't really understand rap music.

2. September Gurls by Big Star! Great song! I put this on a mix I made for my girlfriend when we first met cause her birthday is in september. Major points for Big Star

3. good beat and groovy bass, nice jangly guitar. really pretty female voice over it. sounds a bit like a less nasally jenny lewis. I like this song a lot, it's right up my alley. Straight up guitar/voice music with a focus on melodies and pop hooks.

4. the intro is fuzzy and rockin. I like this a lot too. the vocals are pushed pretty far to the back. It sounds a lot like I Can Hear the Heart era Yo La Tengo. Definitely has a male and female voice, but they are buried in the guitars.

5. another hip hop song. some lyrics about killing cops.

6. The song is soft and spacy. Kind of has a 60s folk rock vibe to it. The guitar riff is ripped from Louie Louie. I feel like I know this voice but I can't put my finger on it. Male and kind of effeminate, shaky and low-key. Lots of violins and stuff. Is this Belle and Sebastian?

7. Another major key singer/songwriter number (my type of shit). Oh is this the Rolling Stones? Verse is definitely not Mick Jagger but the chorus sounds just like them. p. coll

8. more hip hop. this song is 4:30 of the same shit over and over. sorry.

9. Pennies by b0lly croghan. sure it's a good song, but why put on a song that literally everyone participating is 100% bound to be familiar with? tbh, I never thought this number lives up to the hype.

10. the intro is a sample of a doo-wop song. oh it's some sort of reggae hip hop thing.

11. electronic and rave-ish. could either turn out to be passion pit or something to trip molly to. oh it's dubstep, fuck this. next.

12. punky power chord type song. not bad. If I were in high school I would eat this shit up. I think I know this song but I'm not sure what it is.

13. another electronic intro. fingers crossed for no more dubstep. ok, no dubstep, just 6 minutes of the same repeating synth line over and over and over and over the same beat with no words and no other instruments

14. I dig this a whole lot. soothing male voice, nice hooks, and lots of guitars, some jangly, some distorted. again, I feel like I know what this is but can't remember.

Overall rating: 6/10. The mix architect did a good job of picking a few sounds and sticking to them across different artists which makes the mix feel cohesive. I didn't personally care for some of the selections. Unfortunately the hip hop songs were really lost on me. Like I said, I have nothing against hip hop but I have never been able to get into it and I'm not sure I can at this point. I could have done without the dance songs, dubstep fucking sucks. However I really dig some of the other songs on here, and I appreciate that the mix maker went for songs that are in the style of late 60s Byrds-ish folk rock. My favorites are number 3, 4, and 7. I would definitely check those artists out and maybe a few of the others as well.

Mix exchanges are cool and we should do more.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #101
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

in the future i think everybody should have immediate access to all of the untagged mixes. the secret santa thing is kind of pointless with so few people involved.

if you want mixes the only thing better than 1 mix is several mixes. i thought the point was to share mixes but this seems like an exercise in reviewing one mix.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #102
redbreegull

I dunno, I kind of feel like no one is going to listen to a bunch of mixes. I mean look, I was stoked about this and it still took me 2 weeks to review a single mix. Sadly I think the solution is that we need more people to participate, but no one was interested, even when the topic got posted in gen chat.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #103
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I dunno, I kind of feel like no one is going to listen to a bunch of mixes. .
But I thought everyone in the club was excited and stoked about mixtapes???

Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #104
slunken
Virgo

OR DID THEY JUST NEED AN EXCUSE TO MAKE ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #105
redbreegull

Quote:
OR DID THEY JUST NEED AN EXCUSE TO MAKE ONE
ding ding ding

I did enjoy listening to the one I got and writing about it. I dunno I really think the problem is that 6 people is not enough to sustain the excitement. It was much more exciting last time when we had a ton of participants and everyone talked about a different mix every week, but then after maybe the first four weeks people just stopped doing it, and half the people who had pledged to make a mix never came back to the thread.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #106
redbreegull

so I guess what I am saying is ..... nothing

Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #107
slunken
Virgo

you can't rely on other people to have your good time

Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #108
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I dunno I really think the problem is that 6 people is not enough to sustain the excitement.

It was much more exciting last time

when we had a ton of participants and everyone talked about a different mix every week, but then after maybe the first four weeks people just stopped doing it,
technically that's 2 less than this time

Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #109
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
do you work for these guys or something?
street teams you wouldn't understand

Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #110
slunken
Virgo

lol

Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #111
redbreegull

so which one of you jabronis did the mix I reviewed?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #112
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
sorry I have been such a dick about reviewing my mix. I feel bad for busting sonic johnny's balls for taking so long to send in his mix when I have taken so long to review mine. anyway

1. this is a hip-hop song. maybe outkast? easy enough to listen to but I can't really do hip hop. unfortunately I think I may just be too old at this point to learn to understand or appreciate it as a music form. it's probably my biggest failure on my musical sojourn.... I just don't really understand rap music.

2. September Gurls by Big Star! Great song! I put this on a mix I made for my girlfriend when we first met cause her birthday is in september. Major points for Big Star

3. good beat and groovy bass, nice jangly guitar. really pretty female voice over it. sounds a bit like a less nasally jenny lewis. I like this song a lot, it's right up my alley. Straight up guitar/voice music with a focus on melodies and pop hooks.

4. the intro is fuzzy and rockin. I like this a lot too. the vocals are pushed pretty far to the back. It sounds a lot like I Can Hear the Heart era Yo La Tengo. Definitely has a male and female voice, but they are buried in the guitars.

5. another hip hop song. some lyrics about killing cops.

6. The song is soft and spacy. Kind of has a 60s folk rock vibe to it. The guitar riff is ripped from Louie Louie. I feel like I know this voice but I can't put my finger on it. Male and kind of effeminate, shaky and low-key. Lots of violins and stuff. Is this Belle and Sebastian?

7. Another major key singer/songwriter number (my type of shit). Oh is this the Rolling Stones? Verse is definitely not Mick Jagger but the chorus sounds just like them. p. coll

8. more hip hop. this song is 4:30 of the same shit over and over. sorry.

9. Pennies by b0lly croghan. sure it's a good song, but why put on a song that literally everyone participating is 100% bound to be familiar with? tbh, I never thought this number lives up to the hype.

10. the intro is a sample of a doo-wop song. oh it's some sort of reggae hip hop thing.

11. electronic and rave-ish. could either turn out to be passion pit or something to trip molly to. oh it's dubstep, fuck this. next.

12. punky power chord type song. not bad. If I were in high school I would eat this shit up. I think I know this song but I'm not sure what it is.

13. another electronic intro. fingers crossed for no more dubstep. ok, no dubstep, just 6 minutes of the same repeating synth line over and over and over and over the same beat with no words and no other instruments

14. I dig this a whole lot. soothing male voice, nice hooks, and lots of guitars, some jangly, some distorted. again, I feel like I know what this is but can't remember.

Overall rating: 6/10. The mix architect did a good job of picking a few sounds and sticking to them across different artists which makes the mix feel cohesive. I didn't personally care for some of the selections. Unfortunately the hip hop songs were really lost on me. Like I said, I have nothing against hip hop but I have never been able to get into it and I'm not sure I can at this point. I could have done without the dance songs, dubstep fucking sucks. However I really dig some of the other songs on here, and I appreciate that the mix maker went for songs that are in the style of late 60s Byrds-ish folk rock. My favorites are number 3, 4, and 7. I would definitely check those artists out and maybe a few of the others as well.

1. Outkast - Player's Ball

2. Big Star - September Gurls

3. Jessica Lea Mayfield - Blue Skies Again

4. Primal Scream - Shoot Speed / Kill Light

5. Main Source ft Nas - Live at the Barbeque

6. Spiritualized - Any Way That You Want Me

7. Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers

8. Mike Jones ft Slim Thug and Paul Wall - Still Tippin

9. Smashing Pumpkins - Pennies

10. Fugees - Zealots

11. Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

12. Hey Mercedes - Our Weekend Starts on Wednesday

13. Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It

14. Teenage Fanclub - The Concept

Last edited by redbull : 11-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #113
MusicMan4

Quote:

saved in copypastanetphoria.txt

Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #114
slunken
Virgo

I still ride fairly hard for "Still Tippin" - Michael Watts is the shit.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #115
bignothing
Demi-God

can someone please make me a depressing christmas/new years mix? or just suggest songs or whatever? think of it as public service.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #116
slunken
Virgo

Mine

Old 11-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #117
Trotskilicious
Banned

i started really digging on houston hip hop lately

Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #118
D.
Consume my pants.

Well anyway my recipient didn't review mine but here's the track listing anyway so I can delete the wordpad document off my laptop. It sucks, bye.

01 Dan Zanes - Wanderin' - 2:23
02 Hold Steady - Certain Songs - 3:55
03 Antennas Up - The Awkward Phase - 3:45
04 Capsules - Across the Sky - 3:57
05 Bare Mutants - Inside My Head - 3:37
06 Raveonettes - Another Noise - 4:41
07 Airs - Never Too Late To Hurry Up - 5:19
08 Black Market Karma - Don't You Know - 5:12
09 The Warlocks - Song for Nico - 6:17
10 Alcest - Ciel Errant - 7:12
11 Chain Gang of 1974 - Don't Walk Away - 6:24
12 Airborne Toxic Event - The Way Home - 5:05
13 Ben Colder - Shudders and Screams - 2:19

Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #119
Mo
Immortal

PM

Last edited by Mo : 11-28-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #120
Mo
Immortal

del

Last edited by Mo : 11-28-2013 at 06:05 AM.