Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #31
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

and then you add april ludgate, tom haverford, and andy dwyer and holy shit

Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #32
TuralyonW3
Immortal

aubrey plaza is a dream

Old 03-11-2014, 02:44 AM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned

Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #34
Trotskilicious
Banned

thread derailed, mood ruined

Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #35
Banana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
yeah sounds like you were projecting hopes for a different sort of show onto this show. it's been about Rust and Marty the whole time.

Ahh of course, the Lost defense of a finale that fails to properly deliver on a story it has built up on.

Criticizing the finale is clearly useless, when a show gains national popularity and it comes to a close people will defend the finale no matter what occurred.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

It was close to a perfect shpw, the finale was one of the most tense things I've seen on TV.

KnowingBanana bitches about it confirms it's a great program.

Oh plus EP4 featured some of the best TV boob action on history.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #37
Trotskilicious
Banned

you know how it's so consistent that banana likes over-rated shit and hates good stuff really makes me think he's just straight trolling

Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #38
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's like how Aziz Ansari's character Raaaaaaaandy is the worst stand up comic, ever.

but it's so precise in why it's the worst. mostly about sex, lots of profanity, yelling, stupid easy jokes like gettin ya DICK sucked on TRUE DETECTIVE

"Oh bamma mamma lamma da ding --- WOAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Old 03-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #39
Eulogy
huh

Eps 6 and 7 kinda lost me. Finale sort of brought me back but not entirely.

Worth a watch and it hit some really great heights. But I don't know if I would give it anything higher than a B+?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #40
Banana
Banned

When did I say I hate True Detective? I was the one pimping this show out before it came out and now everyone is a big fan of it since it has become a big cultural phenomenon. I just don't think the finale was that good and honestly was a bit disappointing since they dedicated so much into this high powers Tutt family pulling the strings story only for that to go nowhere in the end.

Personnel opinions be dammed, can't go against the cultural hive mind once it gets going.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #41
Trotskilicious
Banned

i dunno i think you definitely go with the cultural hive mind when it comes to odd future and fucking lil b

Old 03-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #42
Trotskilicious
Banned

KD forever, fuck lil b

i bet KD raps better than lil b on pain killers

FUCK LIL B

Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #43
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Yeah you were the first ever to talk about this show. No one else knew about it being made, you get gold stars.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #44
noyen
Immortal

HAHHAHAHAHHAHHABABBBABABABBABABBAB

BEST OF DECADE FIRST EVER

Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #45
Banana
Banned

I was into to odd future before their popularity skyrocketed into what it is. Am I supposed to not like them now? Do I have to follow the trot guidelines to being hip?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #46
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Yeah this show was p.good. I enjoyed it as a genre study and I enjoyed how knowingly and frequently it bowed to tropes and traditions without compromising its internal consistency too much.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #47
Banana
Banned

Heard a rumor that next season might feature Denzel Washington which would be awesome.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #48
Banana
Banned

Of active HBO drams I will rank it:

1) Game of Thrones
2) Boardwalk Empire
3) True Detective
4) True Blood

5)Newsroom

I never got around to watching Treme but I'm sure if I did it would rank above Newsroom.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #49
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Game of thrones S4 has a lot to live up to

Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #50
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

i hope it has spiderman in it.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #51
bignothing
Demi-God

How did Matthew McConaughey go from having the most punchable face in Hollywood to Rust Cohle? I mean...

http://i59.tinypic.com/1zb6nom.png

Anyway, yeah I am kinda obsessing about this series.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 AM   #52
barden
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
yeah sounds like you were projecting hopes for a different sort of show onto this show. it's been about Rust and Marty the whole time.

this EW review actually kind of nails everything (surprisingly for EW):

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/03/10/tr...-happy-ending/

and here's a good excerpt about the killer you're reducing to a "hick"
man thats the dumbest summary ever. 'Be careful what you put in your head lol, thats what I meant all along go tell the children of my mystery tales'.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 AM   #53
barden
Braindead

I think Nick Pizzolato had written another story, and buckled half way under studio pressure or something to make a buddy cop drama.

The whole tide changed from precision tension and specific allusion to out of no where leaps and bounds and 'we are opposites but we get along great buddy even when it gets bad'.
I think he had a very specific killer in mind from the get go, who we knew well as a character, and, in my opinion, the story initially set up for a very different and maybe darker ending, with some of those clues sprinkled in from the very beginning.
Then they are like, 'LOL ACTUALLY LOOK AT ME WORKING THIS OUT DID YOU GET A SHOT OF THAT LIGHTBULB MOMENT IT WAS A DUDE PAINTING HOUSE GREEN OBVIOUSLY GREEN EARS LOL' and just ran from there.

I dont want to say who I think it was going to be, cause I'm going to watch it again from the start some time and put together this theory with specific quotes and such, but i felt like something entirely different was going to play out and then suddenly i became less important to the storyline and more like, 'hey just watch where this went, we dont need your participation anymore cause fuck it now it's a thriller not a whodunnit'.

I think he tried to pull it together for the last episode with something perverse and reactionary, and maybe summed up that whole effort in the first few minutes of the last episode, hoping that imagery would be enough to sate us on this twisted new killer... But thats not fair. Thats not how they set this up. They were so specific with the clues and hints, and to suddenly now assign us back to the armchair to just watch seems like such an obviously shift... with such an 'easy' out writing in a new killer to suit these old clues, as opposed to having him there from the get go.... betrayed the whole mood of the initial lure of the show.

The ending was weak. It was too neat. Too much closure. Too much visual aesthetic to carry what was now an empty story. Ooh, make it spooky, make this guy really bad. Granted, I loved it for that too, but it could have been all that and so much more...
That last wheelchair scene was such a weak caricature of Marty and Rust, munching on ice cream 'see love is everything it's all good my homeboy, best buds', 'lol get me the fuck out of here i'm too cool for hospital bro PS it's okay i loves my daughter or some shit'.

Going into this show I was enthralled, i was number one fan, i was telling everyone I know. I felt betrayed by it's weak ending when it seemed obvious they had set up and left room for some pretty big cannibalistic twists on itself and leave you rocked.

Instead I got all invested, and then just watched some story play out.

Think he buckled. Think he went safe with the script. Gosh darn it.