Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #241
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

nope, that'll be a disaster.

it'll make everything even noisier and squish your sound to death.
sounds like a shitty pedal, but if there's no other way around it i'd suggest a volume pedal or something like that to use exclusively with that fuzz pedal (after it in the chain, of course)

Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #242
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Man I prefer amp distortion always. I've never played a fuzz or distortion pedal that sounded nearly as good.

Disco King, maybe take a look at the EQ on your amp and/or the EQ knob on your guitar. Some fuzz pedals just can't handle certain frequencies and will go batshit with them.

For distortion right now I use an A/B/Y and two amps: a solid-state fender ultrachorus from like 1994 (has great, predictable and really saturated 90s style gain channel) and a tube peavey ultra plus, which has two gain channels. The combo between the predictable/consistent solid state distortion and the more wild, fruity, musical tube distortion (plus the ability to mix them and throw more on during a bridge or whatever) is perfect and I don't have to waste space on my pedal board with a distortion box.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #243
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I don't really understand how to play electric guitar anymore at all. I just always feel like my tone is shit and not what I am trying for at all. I have some pedals and I'm playing a nice strat through a nice Peavey tube amp. I dunno. Just never sounds good to me. Thank god for acoustic guitars I guess

Old 02-04-2016, 03:51 AM   #244
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
nope, that'll be a disaster.

it'll make everything even noisier and squish your sound to death.
sounds like a shitty pedal, but if there's no other way around it i'd suggest a volume pedal or something like that to use exclusively with that fuzz pedal (after it in the chain, of course)
Kind of sucks, the demos sounded pretty sick and I loved the oscillation in the fuzz, but the thing is borderline unusable for me. I've got another fuzz from the same company, and that one is usable and I like it a lot (even tho there's still more of a volume jump than the cheap Joyo fuzz I have, which is easy to use and has never given me trouble despite being less than $40).

I'm wondering if it's just a low-quality company (it's a boutique company that sells things in the price range of big-brand pedals, so maybe it was always just too good to be true), or if I maybe got a defective one. Perhaps I'll email the company about that. I probably should had done that right away, but I have this weird thing where I always feel bad when I let someone know I'm dissatisfied with their product, almost as if them even selling it to me was a favour to me (even though it wasn't because I, you know, gave them money...)

I feel even weirder about telling them about the problem now because I recently just sent the fuzz in to repair the knobs I fucked up, and didn't mention anything about the volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Man I prefer amp distortion always. I've never played a fuzz or distortion pedal that sounded nearly as good.

Disco King, maybe take a look at the EQ on your amp and/or the EQ knob on your guitar. Some fuzz pedals just can't handle certain frequencies and will go batshit with them.

For distortion right now I use an A/B/Y and two amps: a solid-state fender ultrachorus from like 1994 (has great, predictable and really saturated 90s style gain channel) and a tube peavey ultra plus, which has two gain channels. The combo between the predictable/consistent solid state distortion and the more wild, fruity, musical tube distortion (plus the ability to mix them and throw more on during a bridge or whatever) is perfect and I don't have to waste space on my pedal board with a distortion box.
I'll try playing with the EQ. Thanks. Also thought of shielding my guitar to deal with the radio-station business that sometimes happens. I heard that sometimes noise problems aren't due to the pedal, and that even good pedals will amplify the interference your guitar is picking up (though I'm sure in this case, the pedal is a problem, addressing the guitar wouldn't be a bad idea in general).

I've never had an amp where the built-in distortion suited my needs, but I've never invested in a great amp (my only non-practice amp is from this cheap Chinese company nobody's heard of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't really understand how to play electric guitar anymore at all. I just always feel like my tone is shit and not what I am trying for at all. I have some pedals and I'm playing a nice strat through a nice Peavey tube amp. I dunno. Just never sounds good to me. Thank god for acoustic guitars I guess
I never know what I want from the EQ. I fiddle with the knobs and go, "that sounds nice; oh, that sounds nice, too."

I think to make things simpler, a lot of the time I'll try to evoke the guitar tone used on a track I like. I won't try to nail it perfectly, because that's impossible. It's just kind of a direction to get me started. I wouldn't want an exact mimicry, anyway.

I think a lot of people get caught up in getting a tone in their heads, and trying to find the gear and settings that'll nail it for them. For me, that's the wrong way. You don't make your setup to try to force a particular tone out of it. The peculiarities of what your setup is capable of is your tone. Like, it'd be pointless for somebody to make it their life's mission to find out how to sound exactly like Siamese Dream or something. It'd be pretty hard to find a cheap used Butch Vig on eBay anyway.

I gotta buy myself an acoustic again sometime. I keep on checking Craigslist, but there's never a seller near enough to me, and I don't wanna buy a new one. I haven't attempted to write an acoustic song for a while, and I find that whatever instrument I'm playing affects the songwriting process, so it doesn't feel the same trying to write what I eventually want to be an acoustic song on an unplugged electric.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #245
bobliefeld
Pledge

Are you using the pedal with batteries or is it plugged into the wall ? I've found some noisy pedals will act up if you're plugging in. Dodgy wiring in the house or your power block isn't quite clean enough or whatever.

And a lot of pedals just don't work at bedroom levels, they're meant to sound big and loud and crazy. I have a 9oS Funeral Party (boutique at big brand prices too..) and it's a heavy duty fuzz, using it at home would be like using nuclear bombs at a playground fight.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #246
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Just picked up an Ampeg PF500 head and a Fender Rumble 115 cab for my bass rig. Sounds good.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #247
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Hey guys what's a good pedal to sound like you have self esteem
You could try stacking different gain pedals on top of your amp's gain. I find either just amp or pedal gain unfulfilling on their own. Amp gain is often more pleasing due to the natural inconsistencies of tube breakup - but when running pedals through it, then their distortion gets the same treatment.

Quote:
I think a lot of people get caught up in getting a tone in their heads, and trying to find the gear and settings that'll nail it for them. For me, that's the wrong way. You don't make your setup to try to force a particular tone out of it.
Getting a great tone involves stacking qualities. No one pedal or amp delivers a complete result, imo. The amp used can make a very big difference in the final sound.

Quote:
Like, it'd be pointless for somebody to make it their life's mission to find out how to sound exactly like Siamese Dream or something. It'd be pretty hard to find a cheap used Butch Vig on eBay anyway.
I'm partly guessing here, but I think that would be a relatively easy tone to generally match. 4-layers of Big Muff into a clean JCM 800. Mix in an additional 2 layers of open chords during bar-chord sections, and EQ them in subtly. Stereo pan all layers. EQ eveything for brighter top end, and ******* some subtle harmonizer plugin treatment. Use a Micro Synth pedal for lead tones, with a boost pedal of choice.

The above was what I wrote ahead of thinking of the Catherine connection to the SD sound, and googled this retrospective blog post.

I struggled with getting satisfactory amp sounds for a long time, but I've finally worked out how to get the sounds I like. A lot of it has to do with starting with the right amp, which is going to fundamentally shape what distortion sound you'll get, with or without pedals. But every item in your chain matters, and the order they're placed in matters. And it's all about stacking particular qualities in the order that sounds best.

If you have a small variety of equipment, you can try all different organizations of it, and you should mentally note what qualities you like most, and what brings them out. That awareness will translate to other equipment that you use. And if you can't find anything you like with your current equipment, get different equipment, and start with something you know can contribute to get you where you'd like. A little research and verification through watching youtube demonstrations can result in more satisfactory equipment acquisitions and playing experiences. And don't expect just any equipment to lead to greatness - but create a meaningful context of everything, together, achieved by knowing what qualities you're working with.

Don't stick with gear that doesn't satisfy you - that's defeating of the point of enjoying playing music, and it's a waste of time. Learn what you can from what you have, then make a decision on your gear knowing that tones you like exist to be had, but depend on having gear that can produce their sounds.

Learn to EQ an amp by ear for different sounds. Sounds you create give off very different impressions depending on what other sounds they're put together with. A sound you love on its own might not do a mix or live band any favours, and a sound should be customized for its application. Want a more spread sound? Try scooping the mids. Want to remove fizziness? Tone down the treble, and maybe even even boost the mids. Increasing the bass fills out the overall sound, and makes everything sound bigger, but let it fill up the other parts of the desired sound, and not mask them.

How you play the guitar matters as well. Confident playing sounds better than someone just going through playing some chords. All the minute details of how a guitar is played are expressed in the output sound, and a person who's controlling their playing inflection to compliment what they're playing sounds different than someone who thinks that what they're playing is just chords.

Last edited by he/she/it : 02-07-2016 at 05:35 AM.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #248
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobliefeld View Post
Are you using the pedal with batteries or is it plugged into the wall ? I've found some noisy pedals will act up if you're plugging in. Dodgy wiring in the house or your power block isn't quite clean enough or whatever.

And a lot of pedals just don't work at bedroom levels, they're meant to sound big and loud and crazy. I have a 9oS Funeral Party (boutique at big brand prices too..) and it's a heavy duty fuzz, using it at home would be like using nuclear bombs at a playground fight.
I have it plugged into a pedal board (not sure if isolated or not). I recently purchased a 10-socket isolated power source, but I haven't tried it yet.

It could be just something not meant for apartment bedroom playing. I pretty much just play guitar at home and I don't have a band or play live or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
The radio station interference is an added bonus when playing fuzz. A real fuzz is just loud and noisy and you have to go with it. With a band playing, you can't tell anyway.

Whoever suggested a volume pedal is right though. I would put the volume pedal (low impedance) in the effects loop of the amp, get the sound you want from the amp/fuzz, and then dial back the overall volume before it hits the power section. It should sound like the full blast fuzz sound but just a lot quieter.
I could try that. Thanks poots & teh b0lly!!1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by he/she/it View Post
Getting a great tone involves stacking qualities. No one pedal or amp delivers a complete result, imo. The amp used can make a very big difference in the final sound.
Yeah, I tend to stack things because I like different sorts of effects (flangers, phasers, reverbs, delay... I like psych rock so just getting weird noises out of my guitar is fun).

However, I pretty much only ever use one dirt pedal at a time. Stacking distortion or fuzz doesn't tend to produce anything for me that I like better than any one given pedal. I find that it actually sounds like it's just sucking sound out rather than distorting more. But there are exceptions to that. Like, the sound-sucking thing actually helped me be able to use my loud fuzz with another fuzz and create an okay tone that sounded distinct from either one.

And though I like a lot of music with reverbed fuzz, I have trouble using reverb and fuzz in a way that actually sounds good and doesn't just turn everything to mud. I tend to only use reverb for clean guitars and play fuzzes dry now.

Quote:
How you play the guitar matters as well. Confident playing sounds better than someone just going through playing some chords. All the minute details of how a guitar is played are expressed in the output sound, and a person whose controlling their playing inflection to compliment what they're playing sounds different than someone who thinks that what they're playing is just chords.
This is something I find hard to do. Playing with rhythm and inflections and stuff when strumming to express different feels. Like, it's easy to do when I'm not singing along, but if I'm singing, it's hard to focus on both the vocal rhythm and the guitar, so I revert to vanilla eight-note strumming. I also can't play leads and sing at the same time.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #249
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
As soon as I engage it, the volume goes insane and everything is picked up (sometimes even get radio stations), and the only way to get it to a volume acceptable for apartment playing is to turn it.
i think you have to take it apart

Old 02-05-2016, 05:09 AM   #250
Cool As Ice Cream

hit it with a hammer

Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #251
he/she/it
Ownz

DK, you also can try setting your amp for a very clean sound, and then turning on your fuzz pedal. Then when you want to go from fuzz to clean, use your guitar's volume knob to dial down the fuzz, and get to cleans. Lots of people use this trick while playing live.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #252
bobliefeld
Pledge

What kind of pickups does your guitar have? I've found that can have a huge impact on things.

I've got quite a few guitars, I like pretty hot pickups, I've got pretty noisy trashy pedals. I got a Bacchus Duke with p90s recently and it doesn't really get on with my pedals at all and sounds shit, the pickups are waaaaaay too hot and noisy. On its own it sounds rockin' and raunchy , wonderful guitar.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #253
bobliefeld
Pledge

I've got a strat with n3s and a les paul with super 57s are they're really polite sounding imo. I can plug the strat into my setup and it sounds ok, fuzzy but a bit too smooth and polite for me... Plug the Bacchus in, all the same settings on everything just a different guitar and it's uncontrollable end of the world sounding noise.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #254
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
DK, you also can try setting your amp for a very clean sound, and then turning on your fuzz pedal. Then when you want to go from fuzz to clean, use your guitar's volume knob to dial down the fuzz, and get to cleans. Lots of people use this trick while playing live.
I was playing around with shit, and I think I had messed with things to the point where the fuzz became usable. I noticed some weird things, though. The tone and volume knobs on the guitar would create hiss in certain positions, but not in others. Also, the fuzz became quieter rather than louder with the amp distortion on, but also really bassy, no matter how I EQed it.

But anyway it looks like I just fucked up my amp today, because now it distorts even on the clean channel. I guess the speaker is torn? I have no idea, I know nothing of how amps work. I have no idea why it would be damaged, as it's not like I even use it anywhere near full volume. It's probably just because it's a cheap amp from some unknown Chinese company (Goldea, its called). I'm too poor to buy any real gear but I end up paying for it in the end anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobliefeld View Post
What kind of pickups does your guitar have? I've found that can have a huge impact on things.

I've got quite a few guitars, I like pretty hot pickups, I've got pretty noisy trashy pedals. I got a Bacchus Duke with p90s recently and it doesn't really get on with my pedals at all and sounds shit, the pickups are waaaaaay too hot and noisy. On its own it sounds rockin' and raunchy , wonderful guitar.
Hmm. I dunno anything about different sorts of pickups. I only have the ones that came with the guitar. Right now, I'm using some Jay Turser guitar that looks like a Squier.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #255
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
But anyway it looks like I just fucked up my amp today, because now it distorts even on the clean channel. I guess the speaker is torn? I have no idea, I know nothing of how amps work. I have no idea why it would be damaged, as it's not like I even use it anywhere near full volume. It's probably just because it's a cheap amp from some unknown Chinese company (Goldea, its called). I'm too poor to buy any real gear but I end up paying for it in the end anyway.
If you cranked up the gain on the amp beyond where it was before, then it might distort on the clean channel even if the master volume is turned down. Try toning down the gain.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:08 AM   #256
run2pee
Minion of Satan

The tone I'm most interested in right now is the solo from Granduciel on the War On Drugs hit Lost In the Dream track 3 called "Suffering." Fuck! It's like the sound of glitter strewn across a black sky to become stars n shit

Old 02-07-2016, 01:18 AM   #257
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
If you cranked up the gain on the amp beyond where it was before, then it might distort on the clean channel even if the master volume is turned down. Try toning down the gain.
Oh hey, you're right. Thanks! I didn't realize that the gain knob did anything on the clean channel, but I guess it does add gain when it's turned all the way up.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #258
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
Oh hey, you're right. Thanks! I didn't realize that the gain knob did anything on the clean channel, but I guess it does add gain when it's turned all the way up.
No prob. Gain will act the same on all channels. Volume increases the sound level of a signal, while gain boosts the signal itself. A signal has a headroom, and once it crosses a threshold in its headroom, it will increasingly distort. Volume will keep the signal clean while increasing loudness. Gain will add some loudness too, but will distort the signal as it becomes too large for its headroom.

Using Gain to fatten up, or to cause distortion ("breakup") in a clean-based tone is a useful and musical tool, and is commonly used by guitarists.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:53 AM   #259
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

lol check out this guy

Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #260
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Anybody have tips for creating leads/melodies over chords, and improvising? I tend to just screw around in the key that the chords are in, but better players seem to actually pay attention to what chord is being played at a given time, and play off that, rather than just kind of playing anything in the key.

I was watching one Marty Friedman video where he said it's good to play notes from the chord, or notes from the chords relative major/relative minor (although a chord and it's relative major/relative minor share all but one note on common).

But it's hard for me to think in terms of playing from the chord without making everything sound arpeggiated. It seems like it'd be really hard to think on your feet fast enough to know what chord is playing and play appropriate notes in a way that sounds fluid and not like you're just playing arpeggios. How do you guys do this in a natural way?

Also, another question: I'm checking out an acoustic listed on Craigslist tomorrow. I would ideally just buy one from a recognized brand like Yamaha or Ibanez or something, but very few are ever sold within convenient commuting distance, so the one I'm checking out is a brand I've never heard of.

What are things to look out for when I inspect it? I don't know how to tell if it will give me problems or if it is okay quality. Like, I'll probably check for fret buzz and the action, but what else?

Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #261
redbreegull

Neil Young claims to not know any scales, what any of the notes are, and only a few chord names.

“[My lead guitar playing] sucks! It’s just a fucking racket. I get totally lost when I’m playing guitar. I’ll just play a melody over and over again and change the tone, bend a string, do all that. I’m totally engrossed in what I’m doing. At one with it. But I suck. I’ve heard myself.”

“I have melodies, and I have a sense of rhythm and drive. But it’s not about me, anyway – it’s about the whole band. It’s about everybody being there at once. When I play I’m listening for everything, trying to drive it all with my guitar. My guitar is the whole fucking band.”

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...0717-2012.aspx

but he's on an extreme of the spectrum. I don't think there are many guitarists who can be as sloppy and randomly emotional with their playing and come off sounding so good.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #262
october
Pledge

I changed the strings on 3 of my guitars today. So twangy and jangle like, I need to do this more than once a year for sure.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #263
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'm always too lazy to do things like change strings, too. It's very occasional that I bother.

I'm also too lazy to change tunings. A lot of the time my guitar is in Eb, and if a song I wanna play is tuned to E, I'll just play it a half-step down. If I want to play along to a track because I'm learning some songs, I'll just look for songs in the tuning my guitar is already in instead of tuning it again.

I tend to write songs in whatever tuning my guitar is already in (like, if its tuned to C because I was playing some doom song, I'm just like, "eh, this song I write will also be tuned to C"). I know better musicians know their vocal range and write their songs to accommodate them, but I don't bother with that shit and I just leave the song in whatever key I first happened to write it in.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #264
Elphenor
Braindead

edit I got this pedal board set up but now I can't be bothered to resize the picture so it isn't gigantic

CH-1 Super Chorus is probably my favorite pedal

Last edited by Elphenor : 03-03-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #265
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
I'm always too lazy to do things like change strings, too. It's very occasional that I bother.

I'm also too lazy to change tunings. A lot of the time my guitar is in Eb, and if a song I wanna play is tuned to E, I'll just play it a half-step down. If I want to play along to a track because I'm learning some songs, I'll just look for songs in the tuning my guitar is already in instead of tuning it again.

I tend to write songs in whatever tuning my guitar is already in (like, if its tuned to C because I was playing some doom song, I'm just like, "eh, this song I write will also be tuned to C"). I know better musicians know their vocal range and write their songs to accommodate them, but I don't bother with that shit and I just leave the song in whatever key I first happened to write it in.
i think lots of people may be like this.
i certainly am. and what's worse, is that lately i've been writing a lot of songs (which is great for me) but almost each and every one of them is in a different tuning so i can't really revisit them unless i'm reeeeally in the mood to make it happen.

i suspect the upside of this, though, is refraining from over working songs until you get fucking sick of them and never complete them

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 03-04-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:48 AM   #266
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
edit I got this pedal board set up but now I can't be bothered to resize the picture so it isn't gigantic

CH-1 Super Chorus is probably my favorite pedal
I've been meaning to get a chorus. Not the sort of effect I use the most often, but I'm sort of a completist and I feel like its good to have all your bases covered for when inspiration hits and you find a use for them. I kind of aim to have at least one of every (basic) sort of effect.

Do you have a flanger? I feel like you would like flangers. I like flangers.

There's a bit of overlap between a flanger and a chorus, anyway. You can kind of use a flanger in a chorus-like way if you have a short delay time, but it also allows you to go crazier so that the whooshing comes in.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #267
StillBecomingApart
I'M FROM ITALY

Location: Back the tape up. I need it again! Let it roll! Just as high as the fucker can go! And when it comes to that fantastic note where the rabbit bites its own head off, I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!

I have this one http://www.tcelectronic.com/corona-mini-chorus/ and it's very very good. TonePrint technology is awesome.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #268
Elphenor
Braindead

Adjusting my tuning to fit my voice is something I need to figure out

Old 03-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #269
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i think lots of people may be like this.
i certainly am. and what's worse, is that lately i've been writing a lot of songs (which is great for me) but almost each and every one of them is in a different tuning so i can't really revisit them unless i'm reeeeally in the mood to make it happen.

i suspect the upside of this, though, is refraining from over working songs until you get fucking sick of them and never complete them
I never complete songs either way anyhow. In fact, I feel like it was a bit of an inaccuracy when I referred to myself "writing songs."

Old 03-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #270
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I've been meaning to get a chorus. Not the sort of effect I use the most often, but I'm sort of a completist and I feel like its good to have all your bases covered for when inspiration hits and you find a use for them. I kind of aim to have at least one of every (basic) sort of effect.

Do you have a flanger? I feel like you would like flangers. I like flangers.

There's a bit of overlap between a flanger and a chorus, anyway. You can kind of use a flanger in a chorus-like way if you have a short delay time, but it also allows you to go crazier so that the whooshing comes in.
Yeah basically I use the Chrorus to tastefully smooth out the edges on the jagged funk chords I play

The Flanger I have set to max setting and just go crazy with it