Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #181
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Who knows maybe Billy was waiting to see if Darcy could get her shit together and she just proved him wrong.
My assumption also

Old 01-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #182
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

This is exactly the same shit that played out in 2007 when Iha confirmed he wasn't in the band. Apparently Billy got incredibly pissed that James spilled the beans early, and Linda and The Pumpkin Queen (remember that fiasco) had to visit all the message boards and play damage control.

"Come on guys, James really did not want to be involved."
"They didn't contribute that much anyway."
"I've heard Billy's rough mix of Zeitgeist at a party and I can tell you this shit rocks. I danced my ass off! You won't care about D'arcy or James when you hear how much this album rocks!" (An actual anecdote from Linda Strawberry in 2007).

We even had the same kind of speculation about the accuracy of Iha's statement. Even after every media outlet reported the story, we had some people saying "maybe James just means he hasn't been invited...yet." The fact is, almost every major music news outlet ran this story, and we have not gotten any kind of denial from the band. D'arcy's out.

Fast forward 11 years. I'm sure Billy flipped his shit that D'arcy wrecked whatever anti-climactic announcement he had planned. Now we get Linda Strawberry assuring us that we're wrong; Billy is actually the better person for fucking over his friend's dreams. We're the over-demanding fans expecting that when Corgan said he would reunite the band's classic lineup, that the reunion would actually i n c l u d e (gasp) all the members of the band's classic lineup.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #183
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
United States and Tarantula are the best two songs SP or Billy have put out since forever.

So if we can get 2 more of those, or even 1 more, sign me up. Not sure anyone can reasonably hope for much more than that.
I don't even have the teeth-gnashing hatred for ZG a lot of other people do; that album's songs just died in the studio. Someone was gonna say it, though.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #184
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
My assumption also
I bet you Billy fucked up with handling the whole situation. Like instead of openly telling her no he just faded into silence and she figured it out on her own when it became obvious they were recording without her. Then she freaked and, as the Dutch say, "Whallah!"

So in conclusion fuck Billy. Yet again.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #185
RAWK
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I bet you Billy fucked up with handling the whole situation. Like instead of openly telling her no he just faded into silence and she figured it out on her own when it became obvious they were recording without her. Then she freaked and, as the Dutch say, "Whallah!"

So in conclusion fuck Billy. Yet again.
Her and James have always been close. Wouldn't be surprised if it was him that told her.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #186
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I wish James would back out too at this point.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #187
Cool As Ice Cream

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
If D is out I am for MaDM or Nicole or maybe even someone like Kim Deal.
bahahahahahahahahahahahaha good one

Old 01-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #188
Cool As Ice Cream

i'd even add a lololo! just for you: LOLOLO!

Old 01-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #189
Cool As Ice Cream

kim deal

Old 01-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #190
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It's really only a matter of time before personalities clash and the band realises why they broke up in the first place, and Corgan is back to calling Iha the "worst person" he has ever met.

But it probably won't happen before they get some of that sweet, sweet comeback tour money. Though it won't be as much as they want, because people have already forgotten about this band that has been mediocre for as long as it was ever in its golden age. Nostalgia would have been enough to being back casual listeners had this happened a decade ago.

Also, I predict no new album. They're going to go around playing '90s songs for a couple of years, playing one or two "new songs" that are intended to be the lead singles of an album that will never occur.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #191
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It also makes little difference to me musically that Corgan won't be returning, because his musical ability has depreciated so much that it doesn't really seem like a matter of who he works with. It just seems funny to me that he would claim that reestablishing relationships and making peace with his old friends was more important than some reunion, yet not even be interested enough in patching old friendships to take the courtesy of informing a friend that she isn't invited to the reunion.

Like, come on. This is obviously about the reunion money, then. It doesn't look like he's interested in communicating with her if he doesn't need her for the band.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #192
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

itt: let's wildly speculate

Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #193
Unicycle
Pledge

JFC, seriously. Let's not wait for any concrete information or anything.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #194
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicycle View Post
JFC, seriously. Let's not wait for any concrete information or anything.
who exactly would provide accurate, concrete info?
linda "killer tracks" strawdingle? Bolly? D'arcy? Not gonna happen. If you mean the announcement of announcements of another 2007 line up plus iha boring himself out of his pants on a couple of overpriced gigs where they rock 1979 and rat in a cage, well yea.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #195
Ram27
dumb

Fuck, this thread blew up

I predict we'll be disappointed no matter what. It's not gonna be early 1996 club shows with 10 acoustic songs then a 2 hour rock set. It's not gonna be a dreamy, perfect, genre fusing album. It's not gonna be the triumphant return of a great drummer for a small tour in April 99

Should be fun, at least. Something more to complain about, at any rate

Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #196
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post

Should be fun, at least. Something more to complain about, at any rate
exactly, plus we started early. by the time any of them hit any stage, we'll be on page 50.
lucky for us, there is nothing else to talk about anyway. we could talk in circles about the machina reissue and the 10 other shelved releases, or the album everyone forgot what it sounds like already, oooor... wildly speculate.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #197
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

The more time goes on, the more I think this band was always garbage and will always be garbage. They probably just seemed great in 1998 cause I was 14 and didn't know anything about music, life, and culture.

Or maybe the chemtrails in my childhood neighborhood were clouding my judgment

Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #198
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
maybe Jeff "the boring" will end up on bass.
Unlikely. Not impossible, just...not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
If the article is true, they should've stopped the conversation right away
Billy doesn't announce things like this in advance. He loves keeping people guessing about major news. Plus we'd all still be like RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE about D'arcy anyway.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #199
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Linda Strawberry:
"I would just throw out there that touring at that level is hard at your body and your emotions and you have to be in top form- and in this cruel meme filed world you also have to have Teflon skin- it's brutal out there. So some people get there and burn up in the sun and disappear. Others adjust. Some thrive. And music is dutiful and you have to be on top form of your game there too. I think it is actually cruel to expect someone to try to jump in the fire when they might not be able to handle it. People should always be put before money or whatever else. Just a thought. Who can handle it? Who is handling it? Who might not be able to handle it?"

Source?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #200
FoolofaTook

Ppl ahead of money. so they fucked darcy over becuz they were concerned for her.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #201
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Okay new theory. Darcy and Old Bull were sitting at the negotiating table planning the world tour when Darcy offhandedly said something about "my fans." Billy immediately went into narcisstic rage mode and kicked her out of the room claiming that all smashing pumpkins fans are his fans. In six months he will bitch about this on Howard Stern adding "Im such a good friend that I was gonna record all our rehearsals and point out her mistakes for her."

Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #202
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Then James and Jimmy left their wives and families, moved to Australia, and started new lives together. After the untimely demise of Billy and Airplane Mode in a freak balloon-riding accident, Jimmy and James adopted Augustus. Twenty years later, Siamese Dream 2 was made.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #203
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
The more time goes on, the more I think this band was always garbage and will always be garbage. They probably just seemed great in 1998 cause I was 14 and didn't know anything about music, life, and culture.

Or maybe the chemtrails in my childhood neighborhood were clouding my judgment
nah they really were good, what is mind boggling is how much billy has seemingly changed. he was always a narcissistic man-child, but no one can fake feelings in a song like tonight, tonight or soma etc.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #204
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
"I would just throw out there that touring at that level is hard at your body and your emotions and you have to be in top form- and in this cruel meme filed world you also have to have Teflon skin- it's brutal out there. So some people get there and burn up in the sun and disappear. Others adjust. Some thrive. And music is dutiful and you have to be on top form of your game there too. I think it is actually cruel to expect someone to try to jump in the fire when they might not be able to handle it. People should always be put before money or whatever else. Just a thought. Who can handle it? Who is handling it? Who might not be able to handle it?"

Source?
Facebook. Sad Machines page.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #205
Shallowed
Braindead

there's an actual thing called Sad Machines?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #206
myosis
Minion of Satan

you'll forever stay

Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #207
Ram27
dumb

lost inside the dream

Old 01-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #208
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
lost inside the dream
dreams*

Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #209
panda show
Ownz

"cruel meme filled world"

Old 01-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #210
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm reading that Strawberry quote as she thinks Billy is terrified that D'Arcy's face will become a meme and wants to spare her ridicule.