Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Default if you traded cigs for e-cigs don't tell me you quit smoking

you didn't quit shit. unless you're like FULL SENTANCES ONLY "I QUIT SMOKING CIGARETTES BECAUSE I SWITCHED TO THIS PIECE OF SHIT THAT WILL PROBABLY KILL ME SOMEHOW ALSO."

you're still addicted to something as addictive as and less fun than cocaine

Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Order 66
Socialphobic

well it is a lot safer. especially if you can hang with the lower nicotine milligrams (anything below 12 doesn't do it for me personally)

but yeah i don't really like the notion that they exist to quit smoking. i got my friend a set for his birthday and he was like thanks man, i'm really going to try to quit now, i really am. i was like, uh.. i don't really give a shit if you quit or not

Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
you didn't quit shit. unless you're like FULL SENTANCES ONLY "I QUIT SMOKING CIGARETTES BECAUSE I SWITCHED TO THIS PIECE OF SHIT THAT WILL PROBABLY KILL ME SOMEHOW ALSO."

you're still addicted to something as addictive as and less fun than cocaine
Thunderous applause

Old 05-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Real Truth!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

i tried an e-cig a couple weekends ago. i enjoyed it.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Order 66
Socialphobic

i was walking around new york last week vaping like a fiend thinking its new york and people are generally ahead of the curve there but they were looking at me like i was hitting a bong or something

Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

because they were jews

Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
noyen
Immortal

Cool

but i did quit smoking and only play with vapor toys now.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
noyen
Immortal

what sucks is that most states are putting the same laws against ecigs as real cigs. which is fucking stupid in my oh so humble opinion.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 AM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
what sucks is that most states are putting the same laws against ecigs as real cigs. which is fucking stupid in my oh so humble opinion.
the idea that they are safe is viral advertising and word of mouth nonsense

there's nothing to prove or disprove the safety

if you have to smoke i guess it's better to do that but you can quit entirely

Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
the idea that they are safe is viral advertising and word of mouth nonsense

there's nothing to prove or disprove the safety

if you have to smoke i guess it's better to do that but you can quit entirely
what does safe mean in the context of putting nicotine in your body? which is safer? smoking via Marlboro? Putting on patch? Vaporizing from an oil or glycerine subtance!? taking nicotine pills? mainlining it? the idea that anything is safe is viral advertising word of mouth nonsense then because nothing is safe. being alive is a danger. these walls that surround me that feel safe aren't really that safe when they start falling around me crushing me to death. I'm not safe sitting anywhere near a road because I could get hit by a car or struck by lightening. no one knows anything. that proclamation can be applied to everything and every situation. all we can do is compare and see what we think is better or has better compromises while we still kill ourselves more comfortably. if I quit entirely it doesn't mean I'm any safer or anyone else is safer from some butterfly effect action or something else like you ate too much fruit and died like Steve Jobs by thinking he's doing something safe and good. too much water isn't safe. non water is bad. even the "safe amount of water is gonna kill you and give you cancer anyway because some asshole flushed his aids diapers down the toilet and were drinking dinosaur piss and traces of cocaine. nothing matters then the severity of its safeness shoun't be an issue.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Order 66
Socialphobic

well to my understanding the laws are mainly to prohibit kids from buying them, which i agree with. and they disallow you from vaping in indoors, which, i'm going to miss. but it's an invasion of space, even if it is water vapor. so i'd agree with with it (though i vape stealthily so it's kind of irrelevant to me)

what i feel sorry for is the manufacturers, especially the makers of the juices. from what i read they're really going to get boned with patent fees and whatnot

Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
noyen
Immortal

the thing is, i don't buy that they're more accessible or marketed towards kids. i buy those fruity flavors. i don't even go for the one flavors that taste even remotely like a cigarette. i don't believe that it was ever legal for nicotine products to be available to kids in regards to ecigs and vaping. also, if these things are found safe, then i see no problem with selling children ecigs that contain no nicotine. ecigs are the new gateway drug to heroin.

farting and the breath coming out of these human lumps are way more offensive.

it's all just feds jumping in and trying to regulate shit because they have to control every god damn thing under the sun.

sure, the danger is there that someone spills this stuff on their skin (the nicotine juice). but not all these juices have nicotine in them. my goal is to reach zero nicotine. and i'll continue to vape flavored veggie oil. i make my own and i'm just careful with it. anyone getting in to it should be educated on it sure. maybe more labels on things will help more people not make stupid mistakes or leave them out for their children to get access to. we're overpopulated. let people die and fuck up and have nicotine overdoses. lets focus on real problems. like why can't everyone have a klondike bar and hbo go.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 AM   #14
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
the thing is, i don't buy that they're more accessible or marketed towards kids.
In Utah, the stats really are nuts. Like, wild, wild shit. A few graphs n' charts pictured below: makes me nervous to see what our survey results in ANOTHER two years will show.

I agree with you in that I don't think the flavors are marketed exclusively towards kids (if I was to get into that scene, I would fully be smoking all of the Mt. Dew/Skittles/whatever flavored stuff too) - but while not marketed towards kids, they do further this idea that they're just fun toys to dink around with. And if a kid starts on an e-cigarette, it's wholly possible that eventually they'll swap to cigarettes once they're not getting enough throat hit outta their e-cigarette, yeah?

Local smoke shops are selling these things left and right to kids. Not even cool.

http://i62.tinypic.com/k04hoy.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/qxrtd3.jpg

Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #15
noyen
Immortal

shadang! we should have a convo in real life. will you be coming to see mogwai? wutang?

I've also quit a few times too. usually lasted a few months and sometimes a few years. I've also had other issues I've beat like meth and heroin. it is really hard to quit things.

cool story or. it but I'll share it with you Rask. so, I was driving with my windows down and was at a stop light for a few minutes and I struck up a cool conversation with a gentleman in the car next to me. he saw me puffing away on my vaporizor. he was a tough looking dude, much older than me and probably a 40plus year smoker. anyway. he asks sceprical if those things work. I looked at him in all seriousness and said "man they saved my life. I wouldn't be talking to you know most likely if I didn't have these. and he said how often I use it. and I say alllll day. and he seemed to take what I was saying as some sort of relief and said that he would give them a shot but had always looked at it has a toy or fad. and I was like hey man the have kept me from going out in the cold, from coughing up blood, from the actual hell of smoking. I thought it was a cool interaction because I hope he gives it a shot. just to switch. and that I assured him that the nicotine buzz you want is there. and all the bad stuff like waking up coughing your lungs out and stinky clothes and wrinkled skin and grossness of tobacco addiction hell can be eased through with the ecig they did for me at least. I got lung cancer. I had to change. anyway I am drunk and rambling.

anyway I think its cool having this discussion and the views on them and how so far it looks like its on the stupid gay list for most here but seriously life changed for me in regards to having some release and feeding of my addiction without all the horribleness that I did not enjoy about smoking. it makes me do it all even less because I can do it anywhere in bed in a crowded house party or a back yard BBQ without offending everyone and stinking up the place.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #16
Order 66
Socialphobic

yeah the laws are obvs pushed by city council kyle's mom types who want to regulate things they don't understand. but it is fucked up that, legally, an 11 year old could walk into a gas station and buy one

and i really hate the notion that fruity flavors are "geared towards kids"... i'm still seething that those kinds of cigs were taken off the market.. just really backwards thinking. and i'm 31 and would vape "fruitopia" over the synthetic camel or marlboro flavors any day.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #18
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

If you're gonna smoke, just fucking smoke. What's the point of e-cigs? Why would you spend 50$ to pretend to smoke? If it's the act that's addicting, then do the real thing. Or just pretend to smoke candy cigarettes like a 5 year old. If it's the substance that's addicting, slap a patch on your chest and chew some gum. E-cigs are dumb.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #19
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
If you're gonna smoke, just fucking smoke. What's the point of e-cigs? Why would you spend 50$ to pretend to smoke? If it's the act that's addicting, then do the real thing. Or just pretend to smoke candy cigarettes like a 5 year old. If it's the substance that's addicting, slap a patch on your chest and chew some gum. E-cigs are dumb.
the point of ecigs is a nicotine delivery system that allows one to feel and experience the sensation and time spent "smoking" without having to take a bunch of smoke in their lungs. it's not "pretend" anything. would really walk up to my face and tell me to just smoke a real cigarette? i would knock your fucking teeth out. i have health issues that prevent me from just smoking like a hardass as you suggest. and don't tell me what to do. i dont want to use a patch.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
i could go through the basics about how it's cleaner and blahblah

but for me, it's about customization. do you want to puff on a regular nicotine flavor, or something like banana or caramel or strawberry shortcake. think some cinnamon will go good with that? go ahead and add that and anything else you like.

don't want a big nicotine buzz? lower the milligrams. want a bigger hit? level up your voltage. and from there you can customize further with your tanks, your base, ect.. it becomes a nerdy hobby like trying to build your own gaming PC or something (see: e-cig forums)

i think a better analogue would be smoking from a hookah. it's almost nothing like a regular cigarette unless you stick to those $10 dispsoables

Old 05-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #21
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i could go through the basics about how it's cleaner and blahblah

but for me, it's about customization. do you want to puff on a regular nicotine flavor, or something like banana or caramel or strawberry shortcake. think some cinnamon will go good with that? go ahead and add that and anything else you like.

don't want a big nicotine buzz? lower the milligrams. want a bigger hit? level up your voltage. and from there you can customize further with your tanks, your base, ect.. it becomes a nerdy hobby like trying to build your own gaming PC or something (see: e-cig forums)

i think a better analogue would be smoking from a hookah. it's almost nothing like a regular cigarette unless you stick to those $10 dispsoables
Quote:
the point of ecigs is a nicotine delivery system that allows one to feel and experience the sensation and time spent "smoking" without having to take a bunch of smoke in their lungs. it's not "pretend" anything. would really walk up to my face and tell me to just smoke a real cigarette? i would knock your fucking teeth out. i have health issues that prevent me from just smoking like a hardass as you suggest. and don't tell me what to do. i dont want to use a patch.
Yeah see my comment was directed at the nerd hobbyists. The 18-20somethings. I dunno how long you were a smoker, but I've never met a true addict for whom e-cigs were a suitable substitute.

My uncle has one lung and emph****a and continues to sneak cigarettes when his wife is not around. I wish he would smoke e-cigs, but they're not the same, and he's been smoking for 50 years. I quit smoking after 4 years, because I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath, and it scared the shit out of me. So I just stopped, and was extremely pissy and irritable for about 10 days, but that was it. My aunt smoked for a good 20 years, but as the complications from her MS escalated, she went cold turkey. There's a clear-cut distinction between someone my age who "needs" to smoke, and a 65 year-old Vietnam vet who needs to smoke.

So if e-cigs are truly a suitable substitute for you, then great, you're the first person I've ever met for whom that was the case. And if you just like "smoking", I think the whole idea is kind of silly, but whatever man, have fun customizing your e-toy.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #22
slunken
Virgo

i'm glad they've been banning e-cigs indoors as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #23
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i'm glad they've been banning e-cigs indoors as well.
they have? why? do they also harm the other people inside (second-hand smoke)? if not, i don't see why they should be banned indoors.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #24
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
they have? why? do they also harm the other people inside (second-hand smoke)? if not, i don't see why they should be banned indoors.
its probably completely harmless second hand. but i wouldn't vape around an infant or something

i dont do it inside just as a courtesy. though the people who act like they're going to die if they contact a little vapor should probably put things in perspective.. not too long ago you could smoke (real) cigatettes in airplanes.. and prettty much anywhere else

Old 05-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #25
Bread Regal
Banned

did i see jenny maccarthy advertising one of these things the other day? what a a goddamn idiot.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #26
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

my friend has been smoking for 20 years and is a few months on the ecigs. her boyfriend is on them too. she is happy with them.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #27
Order 66
Socialphobic

i started them 3 years ago because i was tired of my apartment smelling like an ashtray. didn't want to quit i just thought it'd be nice to not get up and go outside when i'm watching a movie or whatever

i haven't really smoked since except for when i'm really drunk around a bunch of people smoking or something

Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #28
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

who wants to go to a bar and look at idiots with their dopey-lighty fake cigarettes

Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #29
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
who wants to go to a bar and look at idiots with their dopey-lighty fake cigarettes
it sounds like a bit of a weird plan, but i guess it could be fun. count me in!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #30
Cool As Ice Cream

for the record, i think e-cigs are stupid. well, i don't like them. i've tried it, and it's not very satisfying.
the risk is that you end up increasing your nicotine intake drastically, because you keep on "smoking" while trying to reach the same level of satisfaction. in that sense, they're not safe at all.