Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #91
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Why the FUCK are we even talking about Collective Soul when we should be talking about Toad the Motherfucking Wet Sprocket?

Old 03-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #92
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Dulcinea's my shit and I will fight anyone who bad-mouths the Sprocket.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #93
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I saw them back in 2014 amongst a bunch of middle-aged guys who looked like their fashion sense had been in stasis since 1993. I really felt like I belonged.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #94
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Wait, didn't you say in that Green Day boombox thread that you had the first two Green Day albums on tape before they got big?
No. I didn't know they had other albums and all I initially had was Dookie on cassette and the Jerky Boys soundtrack. Then I was at this place in the mall called "Big-K Music" just looking through the "punk" section and noticed that there was 2 other albums in the Green Day section for like 32 bucks a piece. Let's just say I was more than ecstatic. And that day I swindled my mom into buying me Kerplunk (I chose Kerplunk cause I was already familiar with 2000 light years away) and then probably not too long after I picked up 1000 39 Smoothed out Slappy hours.

What I probably meant was that I owned the cassette tapes when they were released by Lookout Records... A year or 2 down the road Warner bought the rights to those 2 records and mass produced em.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #95
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

OK but did you buy the Angus soundtrack too?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #96
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Why the FUCK are we even talking about Collective Soul when we should be talking about Toad the Motherfucking Wet Sprocket?
I saw them also, in 2013 or 2014? It was pretty lame and the woman I went with was a fucking psycho for a lot of reasons, but afterwards we were talking to the guys from the band (well she was, I was kinda too shy) and she was all like... "Well what have you guys been doing all these years?!?!?!?!" Like she didn't even realize why she shouldn't ask a band she doesn't follow, who for all she knows has been making music the whole time, where they've been/what they've been doing? It was ultra cringe. And then later on she was all "Back in the old days, I would have been getting backstage with one of them, even though they have wedding rings, I would have seduced whichever one of them I wanted" which was completely delusional. Not that some women can't seduce rock stars and get in their beds but not her, she was definitely borderline and possibly some other cluster B personality disorders and a complete mess

She also pissed me off because she was so sure that "no bands ever go on on time" that we got there after the show started, even though we were just down the street at a restaurant

did i mention i originally met her at a mental hospital some 4-5 years earlier?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #97
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

In all fairness, I'm pretty sure they did virtually nothing between 1998 and 2013 or so.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #98
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Was the concert/scene lame and/or did you just hate the music that badly?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #99
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Their "comeback" album was dull as hell but I still have a lot of affection for their '90s work.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #100
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Their "comeback" album was dull as hell but I still have a lot of affection for their '90s work.
exactly wut yr mum said yestrdy nite

Old 03-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #101
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

anyway i like toad the wet sprocket but their music is... 'mild' for lack of a better word, and much of it is boring, but some of their albums are good.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #102
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Yeah, mild is a good way to put it. No shame in that, though.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #103
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

unless you're headlining an arena tour bands are almost always on time unless something weird/bad happened or danzig is being a bastard

Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #104
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
In all fairness, I'm pretty sure they did virtually nothing between 1998 and 2013 or so.
Glen Phillips had solo albums, I actually like one of them a lot though I can't think of the name. There's this song Half Life that I really like

Quote:
Was the concert/scene lame and/or did you just hate the music that badly?
I like the music, it was really the person I was with and the fact that it was standing room only. I'm getting old I guess. Standing room only is fine for rock shows where you want to move around but this was not that

edit: it's called Winter Pays for Summer

Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #105
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
exactly wut yr mum said yestrdy nite
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...pumped_kid.gif

Old 03-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #106
Trotskilicious
Banned

and headlining arena bands usually still start moseying out on stage around the time they're supposed to get there, sucking up the applause and basking in their own aura of course the only arena shows i've ever seen were smashing pumpkins so maybe this is just bill

leonard cohen was bang on time with no opener & played for 3 hours at 78 years old

Old 03-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #107
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I like the music, it was really the person I was with and the fact that it was standing room only. I'm getting old I guess. Standing room only is fine for rock shows where you want to move around but this was not that
Yeah, I feel this. I just have no time for standing room only anymore. My feet hurt from too many years working on them. Sadly, most of the shows I'm interested in going to nowadays are at the smaller-ish venues that never have seating.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #108
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
and headlining arena bands usually still start moseying out on stage around the time they're supposed to get there, sucking up the applause and basking in their own aura of course the only arena shows i've ever seen were smashing pumpkins so maybe this is just bill

leonard cohen was bang on time with no opener & played for 3 hours at 78 years old
Of the handful of arena shows I've been too, I'd say Foo Fighters were the most punctual. Came on stage 20 minutes after the previous band and played for 3 hours straight.

I pity anyone who's paid money to see the likes of GNR, though. Or maybe I don't.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #109
Trotskilicious
Banned

i used to have foot pain just like that and i went to see a podiatrist & got physical therapy and it was corrected

Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #110
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Why does it have to be a Michigander-ess? Couldn't it have been an Indianer-ess or a Wisconsiner-ess or, horror of horrors, an Ohian-ess?

Poor Michiganders and Michigander-esses.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #111
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Good to hear. I really need to talk to my doctor about the random aches and pains more often, I guess.

My foot pain has definitely waned a good deal since taking a sit-down/desk position last fall but I still can't stand in place on concrete floors for 3-4 hours anymore.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #112
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post

With no openers bands are usually on time yeah, but I hadn't been to a small club show in a long time and I was a much meeker person back then. Even if I thought they'd be late I'd have wanted to be early. The person I went with was super entitled and we ended up worming our way into the crowd to a decent spot anyway, pissing off several dozen people in the process. Nowadays I would have been like naw I want to get there earlier or if we had gotten their late I would have just stayed where we were but I just went along with her.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #113
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Of the handful of arena shows I've been too, I'd say Foo Fighters were the most punctual. Came on stage 20 minutes after the previous band and played for 3 hours straight.

I pity anyone who's paid money to see the likes of GNR, though. Or maybe I don't.
Lol u went to an arena show. so sorry for ur loss.

have you heard of clubs? That's where you go if you actually want to listen to music.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #114
FoolofaTook

FOOL

Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #115
FoolofaTook

I stood in one spot for six hours in the Globe to see Midsummers nights dream. My right leg locked up for a year.

totes worth it.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #116
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Good to hear. I really need to talk to my doctor about the random aches and pains more often, I guess.

My foot pain has definitely waned a good deal since taking a sit-down/desk position last fall but I still can't stand in place on concrete floors for 3-4 hours anymore.
I stand for 6-7 hours on both saturday and sunday and my feet are usually OK but standing there crunched in with people when a band isn't really bangin' is exhausting. I had no problem doing it in 2007 for SP but it was a really great concert, Toad was basically like listening to the record. Glen was almost apologizing like "We have a new album, we have to play some music from it now, we'll get back to the songs you like after" it was pretty strange but I guess I'm used to Billy Corgan playing new songs and not giving one single fuck

Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #117
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

FookofaTool, you need to brush up on yer reading comprehension skillz.

Your mom and I are really starting to worry.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #118
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I saw them also, in 2013 or 2014? It was pretty lame and the woman I went with was a fucking psycho for a lot of reasons, but afterwards we were talking to the guys from the band (well she was, I was kinda too shy) and she was all like... "Well what have you guys been doing all these years?!?!?!?!" Like she didn't even realize why she shouldn't ask a band she doesn't follow, who for all she knows has been making music the whole time, where they've been/what they've been doing? It was ultra cringe. And then later on she was all "Back in the old days, I would have been getting backstage with one of them, even though they have wedding rings, I would have seduced whichever one of them I wanted" which was completely delusional. Not that some women can't seduce rock stars and get in their beds but not her, she was definitely borderline and possibly some other cluster B personality disorders and a complete mess

She also pissed me off because she was so sure that "no bands ever go on on time" that we got there after the show started, even though we were just down the street at a restaurant

did i mention i originally met her at a mental hospital some 4-5 years earlier?
Lol this story is like so many nights I spent w/friendppls who were, in acuality, codependent drunks with me. Did you hang out with this woman a lot? Or did you realize quickly you didn't wanna be friends of her?

Sometimes I cringe at all the words/jokes/vows we shared at one another, so boldly, about how little we knew and how incapable we were of seeing past ourselves

Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #119
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I stand for 6-7 hours on both saturday and sunday and my feet are usually OK but standing there crunched in with people when a band isn't really bangin' is exhausting. I had no problem doing it in 2007 for SP but it was a really great concert, Toad was basically like listening to the record. Glen was almost apologizing like "We have a new album, we have to play some music from it now, we'll get back to the songs you like after" it was pretty strange but I guess I'm used to Billy Corgan playing new songs and not giving one single fuck
It's funny how when the musics truegood, flowing on fire and actual, the endorphins actually permit you to stand, even whilst old

My left knee = broken AF but I stood all the way thru the war on drugs; as soon as they started my whole spine went tingly and every of my pains turned to strawberry jellies

Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #120
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
OK but did you buy the Angus soundtrack too?
Not initially. Just taped the Green Day song off the radio. But I am happy to announce that I am a proud owner of that C.D. now. Weezer songs actually the best on it.