Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Smiley

Default What's the deal with Adore Demos II?

I apologize if this has been answered already, but I'm clueless and a quick search didn't turn anything up. The tracklisting of Adore Demos II (link) is interesting for two reasons.

1. Somehow, it manages to dodge anything that wound up on Adore or Machina. Adore Demos I and the Machina Acoustic Demos are both full of tracks that wound up on their respective albums, but this one is exclusively an "outtakes" tape. We've never had a demo tape with no album tracks on it.

2. Adore Demos I is obviously pre-Adore, because it *******s early versions of For Martha, Dusty+Pete, etc. And I don't think anyone will argue if I say the Machina Acoustic Demos are obviously post-Adore. However, Adore Demos II has tracks from both. How does a tape wind up with recordings from both time periods?

I'm not trying to ask "how is this leaking out?", because that doesn't really matter and I understand if it needs to stay under wraps. I'm asking "what IS this tape?" (If the two questions are inseparable, then I apologize). I guess I'm wondering if BC made this tape, and if so - When? Why?

If nobody knows, then let's start speculating. I want to hear theories.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Could just be a compilation BC made after Adore of songs that didn't make the album, plus a few new ones from that time. That's my feeling anyway. It's very difficult to date.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
T&T
Socialphobic

could be a machina II demo tape.....

maybe billy just put the unreleased songs together on a tape after adore & machina were done....

just an non-plausible theory onto the heap....

Old 07-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
trev
charm

someone ( i think mainly davin?) presumed it to be an adore era tape when we first started getting the first leaks, back in feb.

i think it's much more likely to be a judas o demo tape, a mix billy made anytime between 99 and 01 of things to put on judas o. i think it's definatley sourced from different studio sessions, and the songs that we've heard and were previously released to me sound like identical mixes, just worse quality transfers / lineage. some people still claim they are different mixes, as the original leaker (sp457?) was asking us to listen for differences as (s)he believed them to be alternate mixes.

edit - i really can't be fucked finding the thread that had that discussion in it now, but i will in a few days if no-one else does. (i hope someone else does...)

Old 07-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Smiley

My theory #1:
Billy made this tape as soon as he got home from the Adore tour to document his ideas for the next album. He *******d some Adore outtakes because he was thinking about reviving some of them. Of these 16, only 2 went on to be rerecorded as far as we know: LMGTWTY and Saturnine. Perhaps Billy ditched most of these when Jimmy got back in the band, because he wanted a fresh set of songs to work with as a full band. The Machina Acoustic Demos were recorded a couple of months later.

My theory #2:
Billy made this tape post-Machina to have all of the Adore/Machina outtakes in one place (for possible consideration on a release like Judas O?). I like this theory, but it doesn't explain why the tape doesn't have songs like Sparrow. Perhaps this was only one tape in a set? In '95, Billy sent a set of tapes to the LOC called "A Collection of Demos for Billy Corgan", and it looks like there was one tape for each year from '88-94. Assuming Billy continued making tapes like this after '95, the "Adore Demos II" could be Billy's outtakes tape for 1998 - which would explain why there are tracks from the beginning of the year (Adore outtakes) and end of the year (MAD stuff). It also explains why there are no tracks that wound up on albums.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
T&T
Socialphobic

i've been looking for them to no avail as well...

Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
moogle
Pledge

Davin, leak it!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
devotchka
Demi-God

theory #1 is what i've been assuming. though admittedly, keeping the end results in mind seems to make LMGTWTY and saturnine seemingly very odd strange choices from the proposed lot to retool later with full band.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

wasn't lover first played by billy on acoustic after the album came out? Didn't he mention he had written that song relatively close to the time he played it? i know there's a show when he did but im not sure about the last part of what i just said, does anyone have the show?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

my theory: billy just put all the songs on this tape that hadn't been submitted to the library of congress yet. these songs weren't necessarily recorded at the same time. they just weren't in the loc yet. some are adore demos, others can be considered machina demos.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev
someone ( i think mainly davin?) presumed it to be an adore era tape when we first started getting the first leaks, back in feb.

i think it's much more likely to be a judas o demo tape, a mix billy made anytime between 99 and 01 of things to put on judas o. i think it's definatley sourced from different studio sessions, and the songs that we've heard and were previously released to me sound like identical mixes, just worse quality transfers / lineage. some people still claim they are different mixes, as the original leaker (sp457?) was asking us to listen for differences as (s)he believed them to be alternate mixes.

edit - i really can't be fucked finding the thread that had that discussion in it now, but i will in a few days if no-one else does. (i hope someone else does...)
its quite simple really.

it was presumed to be adore era becuase (a) it shared a lot of tracks with Adore Demos I and (b) it was submitted to the LOC in 1998 according to the catalog date.

whether or not machina songs were "ready for demo" in 1998 is up for debate (knowing how billy has often re-used riffs and songs often written earlier), however if the band was still touring and jimmy was not back yet, i have hard time classifying them as machina-era.

also the style of songs, etc. (which granted is a more subjective opinion) also seem to fit, but thats only worth consideration after you realize a & b above.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
My theory #1:
Billy made this tape as soon as he got home from the Adore tour to document his ideas for the next album. He *******d some Adore outtakes because he was thinking about reviving some of them. Of these 16, only 2 went on to be rerecorded as far as we know: LMGTWTY and Saturnine. Perhaps Billy ditched most of these when Jimmy got back in the band, because he wanted a fresh set of songs to work with as a full band. The Machina Acoustic Demos were recorded a couple of months later.

My theory #2:
Billy made this tape post-Machina to have all of the Adore/Machina outtakes in one place (for possible consideration on a release like Judas O?). I like this theory, but it doesn't explain why the tape doesn't have songs like Sparrow. Perhaps this was only one tape in a set? In '95, Billy sent a set of tapes to the LOC called "A Collection of Demos for Billy Corgan", and it looks like there was one tape for each year from '88-94. Assuming Billy continued making tapes like this after '95, the "Adore Demos II" could be Billy's outtakes tape for 1998 - which would explain why there are tracks from the beginning of the year (Adore outtakes) and end of the year (MAD stuff). It also explains why there are no tracks that wound up on albums.
theory #2 could fit, especially with the 1998 date...however i still think there is a distinct style in the song-writing that just "feels" like adore to me. themes, vocal style, etc.

maybe i'll try to ask him at the Fillmore! however, i'm not sure how to get a satisfying answer without asking multiple questions...and he'll probably just answer one.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
TheNewZackMorri
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
theory #2 could fit, especially with the 1998 date...however i still think there is a distinct style in the song-writing that just "feels" like adore to me. themes, vocal style, etc.

maybe i'll try to ask him at the Fillmore! however, i'm not sure how to get a satisfying answer without asking multiple questions...and he'll probably just answer one.
I say go for it, and ask multiple questions if you have to.

A friend of mine was at the last show at the Orange Peel and he said that when Billy came out to talk to people after the show that no one knew what to say, so after standing around for a while being awkward, Billy said, "well, gotta go". Haha. So I'm sure it'll be good to at least to have something to talk about.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
cokelogic
Pledge

If someone is hording this, please leak it. It's the first I've heard of it and I'm floored!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Nono
wasn't lover first played by billy on acoustic after the album came out? Didn't he mention he had written that song relatively close to the time he played it? i know there's a show when he did but im not sure about the last part of what i just said, does anyone have the show?
It was first played on 12/12/98, but I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything about it.

Quote:
(b) it was submitted to the LOC in 1998 according to the catalog date.
I can't find it in the LOC - probably because searching sucks (William Corgan, William P Corgan, William F Corgan, etc.). Do you happen to have the catalog number or exact date of submission? "1998" is too vague to figure anything out.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
cokelogic
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokelogic
If someone is hording this, please leak it. It's the first I've heard of it and I'm floored!
Just found the thread and wow. Very cool.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev

found em
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthre...14#post2548914
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthre...97#post2540197

Old 07-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Snce we have no clue, just random speculation about what this tapw is why not just call it "the !998 tape."

Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
It was first played on 12/12/98, but I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything about it.

I can't find it in the LOC - probably because searching sucks (William Corgan, William P Corgan, William F Corgan, etc.). Do you happen to have the catalog number or exact date of submission? "1998" is too vague to figure anything out.
all i remember is it had the song Lover listed (among others) and said 1998. i'm 99% sure i posted it here before....cuz yea, that search engine is a POS.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #20
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
Snce we have no clue, just random speculation about what this tapw is why not just call it "the !998 tape."
we just got confirmation about Adore-era...strange, as it may be.

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=146225

Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #21
Smiley

Thumbs up

Quote:
we just got confirmation about Adore-era...strange, as it may be.

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=146225
Ah, nice. So it was registered 99, but confirmed to be "Adore B-Sides". This explains why it doesn't have any album tracks.

I agree with what you posted there - "Adore Demos II" is a fair title then.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #22
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
The less famous tape was entitled "Adore B-Sides"
Why don't we use the tape's actual label?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #23
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T
Why don't we use the tape's actual label?
because until today we didn't know the tape's actual label?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream
because until today we didn't know the tape's actual label?

obviously...

are we planning on keeping the "adore demo II" label?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #25
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T
are we planning on keeping the "adore demo II" label?
The Netphorian council of elders hasn't come to a decision yet.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #26
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

lol -- we need to combine these 2 threads.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #27
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the antipop
The Netphorian council of elders hasn't come to a decision yet.
http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/800/523/lo/co7.jpg

Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #28
Wasabi
Ownz

Quote:
this may be noobish what is this picture from?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #29
RumoredToTheS&N
Ownz

that's when everyone got together for a 'machina billy' party.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #30
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi
this may be noobish what is this picture from?
It's a picture of James Iha's basement.