Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
'bout time someone said what we're all thinkin
Oh wait that's what Trump is doing.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:27 AM   #33
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Astonishing hubris from May and the Tories - saw an opportunity to crush all opposition and set a marker down as the people to destroy Labour as an electable party. Campaign was the height of utter arrogance and contempt for the electorate - consisting of negativity, slurs, repetitive sloganizing and zero content in the manifesto. A Presidential-style banking on May's perceived personal popularity vs Corbyn's appalling ratings; notionally a sound strategy until it became apparent that May had no personal charisma, cannot think on her feet, responds poorly to criticism and undermined her own "Strong and Stable mantra with u-turns, cowardice in avoiding debate and stage-managed public events to protect her from the vagaries of the general public. She was shown to have no personal conviction.

Corbyn on the other hand has been dealing with a highly antagonistic media, major opposition and disloyalty amongst his own party for 2 years and was pretty much bullet-proof. The mass rallies and Social media presence exposed him to large sections of the public who's view of him had been formed through the filter of the mainstream media and his personal ratings shot up as a result. Labour's manifesto was detailed and costed and their message one of optimism, which proved especially appealing to the young. Corbyn himself came off as a man of principle which I'm certain brought in people disengaged with politics, as he appeared to be the anti-establishment candidate.

Overturning such a huge polling deficit was, realistically too much to ask for but on a personal level I'm thrilled to see the cynicism and artifice of the Tories rewarded with a good kicking. Now they have a leader holed and taking on water, propped up by a ghastly DUP. The Conservatives by tradition are not forgiving of failure and May is done. I'd be amazed if she lasts the year. They will be desperate to avoid another quick election as the momentum is all with Labour. I believe whatever happens with May they'll try and delay another election until after the boundary changes next year, which will favour them. If there's an election this year I think Labour will win.

This results complicates the Brexit talks but imo not a bad thing at all as they were going to go very badly with a May-led Tory government anyway.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #34
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Who won Legs-it?

Old 06-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #35
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Kidding

Old 06-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #36
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty sp View Post
Who won Legs-it?
Hah, well I'd kind of say neither but May looks like a gangling knobbly-kneed giraffe so it'd have to be Sturgeon.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #37
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

If Sturgeon has to relinquish the leadership, one of the following
Messes Trout; Sardine, Kippers, Calamari, Cod or Oyster