Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-12-2002, 03:33 PM   #1
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Question So who's wasting their Saturday on here, and who's at work?

If you're not at work... and have spent several hours on here... GO OUTSIDE FOR CHRISTS SAKE! It's pretty outside today.

I'm at work, and wish I could go outside.

So, how about you? Are you at work? Or just wasting such a beautiful day at home on the computer?

Old 10-12-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
Affect
Fuck

Arrow

Working. Listening to Oakenfold at full blast. Fucking around with our SQL interface.

Old 10-12-2002, 03:43 PM   #3
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Affect
Working. Listening to Oakenfold at full blast. Fucking around with our SQL interface.
We're not even allowed music on... they were playing South Park eps on one of the computers earlier, but then our owner came in and I had to shut it off. It's like they think music will make it impossible for us to answer the phones and hear when they're ringing.

I tried to mess with My SQL .... well really, I was trying to mess with php and create a database using my sql ... it didn't quite work out.

Old 10-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #4
Affect
Fuck

Arrow

You should keep your eye out for a new job. Your technical knowledge can get you quite far. Tech Support was so two years ago. Why don't you keep your eyes open for an Admin job. Maybe get your MCP with Windows 2000 Server?

Old 10-12-2002, 03:54 PM   #5
obscured01
Minion of Satan

I'm trying to save up so I can take the MCSE exams, and I was thinking of working my way up with the certifications from there.

.... I've been told by serveral people that I should start studying for the MCP server exams... unless I wanted to remain in Tech Support forever. We've got a few tech's back here that are certified (A+, MCSE) but are still back here in Tech Support....

I don't think you can get a good IT job here in this city... blah.

I really want to get moved to the Web Department... I'd really love to eventually get to be a web admin.

-Edit: What exactly do you do? And more so, how long did it take you to get where you are?

Old 10-12-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
Random Comment
Demi-God

I am working 8am-10pm today and it sucks ass

Old 10-12-2002, 04:22 PM   #7
jenn
Minion of Satan

I'm nursing my cold so I can get better and go see the Cruxshadows at the Batcave tonight

Old 10-12-2002, 04:23 PM   #8
Affect
Fuck

Quote:
Originally posted by obscured01
-Edit: What exactly do you do? And more so, how long did it take you to get where you are?
The MCSE exams aren't very difficult. I suggest you pick up a Microsoft Press book for Windows 2000 Server. You can read the book, and take the test in like three to six months with lax study time. Make sure the book has test software, so you know just how well you are doing. Most of it is just straight logic.

I started in IT when I was working for AT&T @Home doing phone tech support for cable modems. I worked there for close to two years. (This is where I met PurpleMegaMan, BakeSale, Noyen, SickBadThing, and introduced them to this board) After that I worked at Verizon for like three months (that job was totally gay). Then I was offered a tech support job for United Healthcare. That job evolved into a LAN and database management position. I now take care of about 70 PC's on the LAN, 10 production machines, and three servers (a Domain Controller, an Access/web server, and a new SQL server). We just got this new jukebox array in that it 1.2 terabytes. Fucking amazing.

I really enjoy what I do. I get paid fairly well, but I practically live up in this bitch. I just bought a cactus for my desk, and it's so cool. I'll have to take some pictures, and show you what it looks like here.

Old 10-12-2002, 04:35 PM   #9
SPChris
Oblivious Virgin

just out of work

Old 10-12-2002, 04:39 PM   #10
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Seriously cool... that's the kind of job I'm hoping to one day get...

All of our admins and network techs got started back here in tech support... I'm hoping I can work my way up there as well.

Our tech area is so trashed out though heh.. we don't even have cubicals or real desks. All of our computers are on like plywood tables.. hah. It's really sad. I was the first one in tech support to get a raise in the period of about 2yrs.... and I'm still making below $8.00 an hour. I can't complain too much though... it's not really a bad job for someone who's going to school... and they are cool about working with your schedule. I just don't want to be stuck back here forever.

Gracias for the suggestions on the 2000 server book, and yeah, take some pictures if you've got some time, maybe then I could see what a real IT area looks like

Old 10-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #11
Travis Meekz
Minion of Satan

gotta work in a half hour