Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #331
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
They really do have similar personality types. Even Matt Sweeney was pointing it out in a interview a few years ago.

One of the main things I notice is that they both always hype up some idea to no end before they've even started or completed the idea. I feel like it's a mechanism that lazy people use in order to get started. Sort of to put the idea out there in order to force yourself to follow through.
It was David Pajo, don't be lazy and do your homework.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #332
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

So I saw them the other night in Columbia. AFI opened, and they sounded okay but they were pretty bland and forgettable. I'm not really that familiar with their music, but my girlfriend is a big fan and even she thought they were mediocre.

Noel sounded good though. About half of his set was High Flying Birds material and the other half was Oasis and a cover of All You Need is Love. I've never seen him live before and his voice has held up well (provided you like his voice). Some people are true Liam stans and can't stand Noel's vocals but me, I've always enjoyed both of their performances. Only weird thing about Noel's set was that he had this lady with a bowl cut doing weird shit during the songs like "playing" the scissors (just holding a pair of scissors up to the microphone and cutting the air with them, rhythmically I guess) and speaking French into a rotary telephone. It was kind of the real-life equivalent of the famous "more cowbell" sketch from SNL. I guess Noel has money to burn from the Oasis years and he's willing to pay someone to do...whatever that was every night.

Anyway, the Pumpkins came on around 9:15 and opened with Today. The song sounded great and I liked the three gigantic figures onstage. After enduring all those weird, self-indulgent videos of Billy wandering around trailer parks or driving the 1979 video image of his head around in a car during last year's tour, it was refreshing to see something other than Billy's face for the set. He sounded good in his vocals and guitar playing, though he barely interacted with the crowd in between songs. I guess Bill is aware by now that every time he opens his mouth to do something other than sing (and even sometimes then too) he makes an ass out of himself so he again let James do most of the banter.

James' guitar playing was pretty good, though I have to say that Jeff really outshined him. I guess that's not a huge surprise; James has always been competent but there's a reason why Billy was always the true "lead" guitar player in the band. Jeff has got some serious chops; his playing was so good that I felt a little guilty after the show for making fun of him over the years.

Jimmy was obviously really good, which is no surprise, though he didn't have as many drum solos as he's had when I've seen them before. The only one I recall was a lengthy one during Solara.

That brings me to the setlist, which was... a bit odd. They of course played all their big hits (Bullet, Disarm, Tonight, etc.) but around the middle of the set they started playing their newer stuff. After the aforementioned Solara performance, they went into Knights of Malta, which actually sounded good! It's amazing how much Billy shoots himself in the foot when he's in the studio. The version they played the other night was chock full of awesome guitar solos and no weird vocals or shitty string arrangements, and it ROCKED. Seriously, it was one of the best performances of the night and it left me angry that he didn't put THAT version on the album. Seriously, what does he have against having guitar solos on recorded versions of songs?

Anyway, things took a turn for the questionable after that as the band played Tiberius, GLOW and... Superchrist. I like Tiberius (it's the ONLY Monuments song I like) and GLOW is okay I guess but is there anyone on earth who ever wanted to hear Superchrist again? You have to wonder too if James is just going through the motions when he's playing these songs and longing for the next Perfect Circle tour.

Anyway, they did a cover of a James Taylor song (Fire and Rain) which was pretty good and then went into Blue Skies Bring Tears (M1 version but with a lot more guitar work). This is my least favorite version of this song but again, adding in a lot more guitar leads improved it a lot. Jeff's solo work on this song in particular was unreal. It might have been the best solo of the night.

They closed with Cherub Rock and then The Aeroplane Flies High. The latter was a nice surprise and a huge highlight for me; I love that song and I've never seen them do it live before. Billy's solo on it was excellent and the power chords of the main riff sounded like they could have ripped a hole in the planet.

All in all, it was a great show. I doubt I'll go to see them again unless I hear they're playing Starla and Frail & Bedazzled on a regular basis, but it was worth seeing.

Also, one last thing... Jack Bates is pretty much the Invisible Man on stage, lol. We had lawn "seats", so we were basically watching the giant TV screens the whole time and the cameras NEVER panned on him except at the very, very end when Billy introduced him and the other band members.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #333
Kahlo

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post

James' guitar playing was pretty good, though I have to say that Jeff really outshined him. I guess that's not a huge surprise; James has always been competent but there's a reason why Billy was always the true "lead" guitar player in the band. Jeff has got some serious chops; his playing was so good that I felt a little guilty after the show for making fun of him over the years.
I'm not sure this board is ready for that kind of reality-altering hot take. Mods plz ban. Kthx x

Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #334
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
I'm not sure this board is ready for that kind of reality-altering hot take. Mods plz ban. Kthx x

Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #335
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Angry

Yeah, OK, mr. funny guy. I bet you won't be laughing when Jack Bates shows up at your window at midnight wearing corpse paint and wielding a halberd!

Old 08-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #336
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Yeah, OK, mr. funny guy. I bet you won't be laughing when Jack Bates shows up at your window at midnight wearing corpse paint and wielding a halberd!
He could do that and still somehow be boring.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #337
Kahlo

I keep forgetting he even exists. How does the bass sound live however?

Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #338
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Seriously, what does he have against having guitar solos on recorded versions of songs?
Howard points to the radio...

Old 08-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #339
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Howard points to the radar (that Billy was off until him)

Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #340
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I keep forgetting he even exists. How does the bass sound live however?
Okay, but nothing about it particularly stands out. To be fair to Master Bates though, it's not like the bass was ever showcased all that much even when D'arcy or Melissa or Ginger Spice/Nicole Fiorentino/whoever played during the MTAE tour (if there was one) were in the band.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #341
SPfan79
Pledge

Quote:
Okay, but nothing about it particularly stands out. To be fair to Master Bates though, it's not like the bass was ever showcased all that much even when D'arcy or Melissa or Ginger Spice/Nicole Fiorentino/whoever played during the MTAE tour (if there was one) were in the band.
Bates has talent obviously but has ZERO personality. The band today sounds good/great even on some songs. However they used have so much persona.

I am One comes to mind, Set the Ray to Jerry, Hummer, Pale Horse, The Celestials, Ava Adore, Bury Me, Bullet, Geek USA, Ode to No One
Rocket has a great bass line to it.
A good portion of Gish has great bass parts.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #342
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

it's ok, soon enough we'll have the technology to clone & bill can finally live out his dream of taking over every position aside from drums. and hey, 4x the q&a's!

Old 08-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #343
SPfan79
Pledge

I'm partial to D'arcy with the lazy and chunky bass she played. It fit perfectly with Billy, James and Jimmy. Melissa played like a lead guitarist(too much for the Pumpkins), Ginger and Nicole were underrated.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #344
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPfan79 View Post
Bates has talent obviously but has ZERO personality. The band today sounds good/great even on some songs. However they used have so much persona.

I am One comes to mind, Set the Ray to Jerry, Hummer, Pale Horse, The Celestials, Ava Adore, Bury Me, Bullet, Geek USA, Ode to No One
Rocket has a great bass line to it.
A good portion of Gish has great bass parts.
For sure, I wasn't implying that the bass was an afterthought in their music; I just meant that of the three main instruments the band uses, guitars and drums have been showcased a lot more over the years.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #345
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

A good bass player is like peeing in a wetsuit. It's warm and fuzzy and nobody knows your doing it. I honestly think Jack is the best bassist the band has had. You don't notice that he's playing- and you shouldn't. If he were to drop out during a song it wouldn't be blatantly obvious.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #346
Kahlo

Case in point: The Foo Fighter's bassist seems like a fairly boring dude, but delivers.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #347
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post
A good bass player is like peeing in a wetsuit. It's warm and fuzzy and nobody knows your doing it.
in boring bands, yeah.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #348
Kahlo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
in boring bands, yeah.
case in point The Foo Fighters and The Smashing Pumpkins

Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #349
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

There you go

Old 08-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #350
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

They have 6 people on the stage, there's no much space for all of them. Jack interacts a lot with Jimmy tho

Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #351
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

This sounds like a real cute experience. I’ve seen em in many iterations except I’ll be drunk at this one. Yay

Old 08-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #352
Kahlo

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke View Post
This sounds like a real cute experience. I’ve seen em in many iterations except I’ll be drunk at this one. Yay
HOLY CRAP ITS LARA x

Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #353
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Case in point: The Foo Fighter's bassist seems like a fairly boring dude, but delivers.
Nate seems so....I guess clean cut compared to the rest of the band. I can't off the top of my head think of any FF basslines I love

The dude in Japanese Breakfast is a badass:

Old 08-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #354
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke View Post
My only sober gig ever was Weird Al when I was 10 lol

Old 08-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #355
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Pls don’t ever compliment Jeff again, thnx

Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #356
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Pleasently surprised by Noel Gallagher’s new band. Had a twin shadows m83 Pink Floyd vibe. Currently looking at the patio umbrella displays. Managed to get into the covered section . Much rain $16 strawberita. 33 year old friend too excited to see billy Corgan for the first time. No longer buzzed. Sad

Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #357
FoolofaTook

how's Jack's performance? is it masterly?

Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #358
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Jack is the plain clothes guy right? I mean, they accidentally zoomed in on him for a billy solo wank for a second lol. He looks like he should be in Coldplay or Ben folds or something. Very odd. However James Iha is adorable as ever. Why do they love playing superchrist? Also pnc smells like actual sewage

Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #359
FoolofaTook

Thumbs down

wow. just wow.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #360
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Apart from the shit smell actual decent rendition of BSBT. Super strong shit smell though