Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Caine Walker
Braindead
 
Caine Walker's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,481
Default one last curve ball: clean coal

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/11...y4564043.shtml

palin, on the day before the election, has started talking about a comment that obama made about the coal industry:

she says,
Quote:
"He said that, sure, if the industry wants to build coal-fired power plants, then they can go ahead and try, he says, but they can do it only in a way that will bankrupt the coal industry, and he's comfortable letting that happen,” Palin said. “And you got to listen to the tape."
he says,
Quote:
"So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can,” Obama said. “It's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."
his campaign attempts to clarify and says:
Quote:
"An Obama spokesperson said that Obama’s remarks were taken out of context and pointed out that in another part of the interview, Obama said that the idea of eliminating coal plants was “an illusion.The point Obama is making is that we need to transition from coal burning power plants built with old technology to plants built with advanced technologies--and that is exactly the action that will be incentivized under a cap and trade program,” the spokesperson said. “We know that additional work is necessary to develop and deploy these technologies. That is why Obama has argued for a robust funding program for carbon capture and sequestration. It’s strikingly similar to what McCain has said (in fact McCain goes a step further saying he wants to transition completely away from coal)."

...netphoria says?

 
Caine Walker is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 2,652
Default

drill baby drill.

nuke it baby nuke it.

 
dudehitscar is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi
 
Location: the sea
Posts: 17,020
Default

non-issue

 
Mariner is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,785
Default

Blow, baby, blow
photovoltaic sensors, baby, photovoltaic sensors

None of these alt energies have any good slogans.

 
suncrashesdown is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow
 
Future Boy's Avatar
 
Posts: 26,980
Default

Just another round of "What he really meant..."

 
Future Boy is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
bardy
Immortal
 
bardy's Avatar
 
Location: helllllloooooo!!
Posts: 20,830
Default

I don't think it's a very good curveb all

 
bardy is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Chuck=Zero
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Chuck=Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,147
Default

This clean coal technology is a boondoggle just like corn-based ethanol.

 
Chuck=Zero is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker View Post
"An Obama spokesperson said that Obama’s remarks were taken out of context and pointed out that in another part of the interview, Obama said that the idea of eliminating coal plants was “an illusion.The point Obama is making is that we need to transition from coal burning power plants built with old technology to plants built with advanced technologies--and that is exactly the action that will be incentivized under a cap and trade program,” the spokesperson said. “We know that additional work is necessary to develop and deploy these technologies. That is why Obama has argued for a robust funding program for carbon capture and sequestration. It’s strikingly similar to what McCain has said (in fact McCain goes a step further saying he wants to transition completely away from coal)."
The quote wasn't reeally taken out of context, the campaign just changed what he said. Obama was talking about *new* coal plants, and the campaign is saying "Obama isn't talking about eliminating coal plants." No... he's not. He's talking about eliminating new ones.

I believe 40% of US doestic power in 2007 came from coal, and it's one of the few energy producing resources we have in abundance in the United States.

It's very unimportant in the big picture though and to make this a big issue is silly

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 11-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Caine Walker
Braindead
 
Caine Walker's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post

It's very unimportant in the big picture though and to make this a big issue is silly
i totally agree.

 
Caine Walker is offline
Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #10
Debaser
ghost
 
Debaser's Avatar
 
Location: @SactoMacto
Posts: 12,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck=Zero View Post
This clean coal technology is a boondoggle just like corn-based ethanol.
YES

 
Debaser is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what billy has been missing for 10 years is clean guitar msevrens Pumpkins Archive 15 07-07-2007 07:32 PM
I licked my plate clean tonight ravenguy2000 General Chat Archive 12 04-22-2007 03:47 PM
Siamese Dream clean version Cool As Ice Cream Pumpkins Archive 29 07-25-2006 08:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2019