Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-10-2018, 02:35 AM   #601
fuzzyroes
Banned

Well, the lyrics are something that have to be taken into account.

The 90's are HUGE with teenagers and people in their early 20's right now. Similar to how "That 70's show" and 70's music was cool again in the late 90's/early 00's. So, the lyrics might not mean much to us, but the "I'm not everyone" type of lyrics might really be resonating with the kids. If you look on youtube and on other comment boards, there seems to be a lot of people really connecting with the song.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:37 AM   #602
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's easy to dismiss the mass positive reaction as paid promotion, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:55 AM   #603
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I think these vocals may be BC's worst performance on a studio track.

I've had to turn the track off twice because the chorus is so bad... going to delete it soon enough. COUGARED.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:38 AM   #604
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

It's a rather nuanced song. It reminds me of Transformer, You're All I've Got Tonight. But also The End is the Beginning and Tarantula. I also hear a strong goth vibe sorta like Ava Adore but I can't quite put my finger on it. The lyrical connections to Porcelaina too- (and in my mind I'm everyone).
I hear Nirvana, Cars, some punk aspects, pop, indie. Jimmy's drumming is spot on and makes the song. And I can't help but move to it.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #605
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

It's terrible. There's no point in it existing.

Some people could be fooled into thinking it's good because there's nothing obviously wrong with it (other than the drumming which is so bad it sounds like either a cry for help or a coded message to listeners - "Yes I know this song is terrible"). The performance, mix and mastering are fine. It's all in tune and in time. Billy doesn't do a rap verse or sing anything really lame. The vocals aren't as good as 90s Corgan but, technically, he can sing ok. It, superficially, "rocks". It doesn't go on too long. It's fine. So it's difficult to say it's terrible as it doesn't do anything wrong.

It's hard to evaluate because ordinarily something like this wouldn't get released. People aren't used to hearing music that's this awful / competent. If it were a new band then they wouldn't get picked up because..why? And if an established band handed something like this in they'd get told to try again and end up in record label limbo. In 2018 with the Smashing Pumpkins though, who cares? It probably took a day in the studio and they can stick it on youtube and spotify, no ones losing any money.

Here's an attempted comeback by novelty band, Limp Bizkit, listen and compare to Solara.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGednQsQ-h8

It's not a fair fight at all - this is a song completely forgotten by everyone by a shit band that no one likes and it destroys Solara on every level.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #606
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Like... if you think Solara is good and worth listening to I IMPLORE YOU - listen to some other fucking bands. Check out some bands in your town / city or go to your local record shop and buy something with cool cover art or something . anything .

Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #607
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Stop trying to find something good about the song. Its fucking lame. No iha on the track and the drums are overplayed.
Corgans ego wont let iha play anything on the song, where is the guitar interplay????
This song has the vibe lof starz, fol, superchrist.
Who told bill to release a lame song like that????

Old 06-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #608
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I thought it dragged for twice as long as it should.

But that's just me and I could only bear to hear it the one time.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #609
byoung88
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
It's terrible. There's no point in it existing.

Some people could be fooled into thinking it's good because there's nothing obviously wrong with it (other than the drumming which is so bad it sounds like either a cry for help or a coded message to listeners - "Yes I know this song is terrible"). The performance, mix and mastering are fine. It's all in tune and in time. Billy doesn't do a rap verse or sing anything really lame. The vocals aren't as good as 90s Corgan but, technically, he can sing ok. It, superficially, "rocks". It doesn't go on too long. It's fine. So it's difficult to say it's terrible as it doesn't do anything wrong.

It's hard to evaluate because ordinarily something like this wouldn't get released. People aren't used to hearing music that's this awful / competent. If it were a new band then they wouldn't get picked up because..why? And if an established band handed something like this in they'd get told to try again and end up in record label limbo. In 2018 with the Smashing Pumpkins though, who cares? It probably took a day in the studio and they can stick it on youtube and spotify, no ones losing any money.

Here's an attempted comeback by novelty band, Limp Bizkit, listen and compare to Solara.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGednQsQ-h8

It's not a fair fight at all - this is a song completely forgotten by everyone by a shit band that no one likes and it destroys Solara on every level.
holy shit.. if smashing pumpkins came out with this i'd be fucking stoked. this song is 1000 times better than solara. jesus

Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #610
Theendiscoming
Amish Rake Fighter

For the clueless wait until the live performance tomorrow on Fallon! Youtube will have over 1 million views for Solara soon in less than a week. All the negative publicity is free and the catalog isn't going anywhere but up. You want to re-live the past , are in the present but not dreaming the future.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #611
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoung88 View Post
holy shit.. if smashing pumpkins came out with this i'd be fucking stoked. this song is 1000 times better than solara. jesus

Yeah and it’s by limp fuckin bizkit. And it’s not even good. It’s a big world there’s a lotta music out there. Solaras a waste of time

Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #612
Glopaiswe
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theendiscoming View Post
For the clueless wait until the live performance tomorrow on Fallon! Youtube will have over 1 million views for Solara soon in less than a week. All the negative publicity is free and the catalog isn't going anywhere but up. You want to re-live the past , are in the present but not dreaming the future.
ok

Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #613
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I thought all we wanted was good music. Weird.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #614
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

What bugs me is that I can kind of hear an attempt for a straightforward heavy number like HKK or something off Pisces but the musicianship just isn't there. It sounds like they're trying to make magic happen by just getting together and rocking out but they forgot how to make it all gel.

It's not the worst thing Bill's ever put out but it's easily the worst produced. It all just feels sloppy. Rubin was a terrible choice for this.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #615
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Yeah ok billy. The song still sucks. Put some reverb on your vocals for fucks sake.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #616
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

no mental gymnastics are going to change the verdict on this autopsy. This song is a big hot turd.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #617
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Lol. It will be lucky to have a million views by the end of the tour

Old 06-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #618
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Fallon endorsed them yesterday at the Belmont. Was nice of him. He didn't have to do that.

It's probably the most watched SP song since Tarantula on youtube.

Personally, I don't like the song that much. Coming from a metal background, it's just meh. However, I am not going to dig on people that like the song, which is what a lot of people are doing on here. It's regrettable. Music is so subjective. There is never a right or wrong answer. Either you like something or you don't.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #619
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post

It's probably the most watched SP song since Tarantula on youtube.
Tarantula
4.5m views

That's The Way
984k views

The Celestials

Drum + Fife
611k views

Run To Me
198k views

The Spaniards
157k views

Aeronaut
170k views - video
260k views - song only

Solara

Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #620
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

that's 3 days in, though.

I'm surprised how many views this got already, by the end of the tour it might have more than what Drum+Fife got in 3 years, no?

Old 06-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #621
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

The Fallon performance should be interesting.
  • Has Billy lost weight?
  • 3 guitars sound good?
  • Is Solara better live?
  • D'arcy's absence glaringly obvious?

THESE ARE SOME DOT POINTS

Old 06-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #622
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

We also have to take in consideration they are promoting this reunion way, way more than anything they did since Zeitgeist. Anything off Monuments is not a very good yardstick, the bar is very low there. Oceania didn't get a promo video or a proper lead single (as far as I remember, that was Billy's idea) yet The Celestials got almost 1m views. In my opinion, if you don't grab people's attention within the first week, it's gone! Even though they will still release the official video, I doubt it's gonna be good enough to bring anymore people to watch it.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #623
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Fucking hell. How cares about YouTube views. The song is shit.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #624
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
giant 'tard alert

Old 06-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #625
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol. Nirvana or foo fighter songs have much more clicks than sp. Are they better? No its subjective. Solara and the reunion got promoted heavily- thats why a shitty song has 230000 clicks by now

Old 06-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #626
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

The drumming annoys me after my 3rd listen

Old 06-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #627
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Why do the drums sound like this???why is this bully's preference? Compress and EQ them until they don't sound real. There's nearly no cymbals. It sounds like oash blech and there is no riff. It's 3 chords. And the ending is like Starz 2: diet Starz with no impressive drum solo.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #628
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

PS. I don't think James played on this. That's bully playing every part

Old 06-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #629
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

My friend whose uncle works on the Tonight Show said that instead of Solara they are going to play Where Boys Fear to Tread. Should be cool!

Old 06-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #630
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
My friend whose uncle works on the Tonight Show said that instead of Solara they are going to play Where Boys Fear to Tread. Should be cool!
muh hart