Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #61
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

As far as I remember, Oceania was mike's first time in the studio for a full length album. He had little experience recording an album and that fact shaped the way they produced his drums.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:03 AM   #62
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Agree with brothabigcock, Mike was/is a bad ass drummer. He can do shit that most drummers can’t. The issue was Bill’s old man dad rock songs.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #63
russticles
Demi-God

Oceania is a really good album. I loved it the day it came out and I'm still mostly into it years later
Mike's drumming on it is great
However the drum production sucks (compressed to hell, little in the way of dynamics, that same fat thwacky snare drum sound is fatiguing throughout)

Mike's a great drummer, I don't understand all the shit he got on these forums. He approached some of Jimmy's original parts a little differently live but on the whole he brought a lot of energy and chops to the band. Going from Mike to Brad Wilk was a major step down.

Mike got a raw deal and it's sad to see he hasn't gone on to do any other music after SP... though he was giving drum lessons for a while but he wasn't visibly playing in any bands or anything after he got fired. What a talent.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #64
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Byrne's style wasn't good for SP. He's ok in the studio but live his fills are terrible. IMO

Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #65
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Everyone has a price - if each Netphorian contributes a dollar would you talk?
WILL YOU TALK FOR $8?

Old 09-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #66
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Stip miki bashing. It is boris' fault

Old 09-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #67
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
nah kid house is definitely right on this one

Old 09-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #68
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Pretty much all of it is here, save 10 or so songs that were put out exclusively by our label.

WWW.THEMICRODANCE.BANDCAMP.COM

New Waves of Hope is the album she sang on.

The two albums are on Spotify but not all the releases prior to them... And I detest Spotify!

Thanks for your interest
Our Love Noir is pretty wicked. Going thru it right now, few tracks in. Dig the breathy vocals. Feels a little sleazy — was that intentional? Appreciate the shoegaze parts, especially. Nice sounds there!

Oh also sorry but i used spotify to listen to it. Why do u hate spotify? Is it bad for the artist? There was a jr scientist that was once allowed to post here who said we should all torrent music instead of using spotify, b/c it was better for the artist. Help me out should i delete spotify? Because that’s the only way i can get last podcast on the left now so i probably won’t delete it. But does this means that i should stop listening to CYR on there when i go to the gym? (It helps me get thru my 10x3 kegel taints.) Pls tell us what’s best for both u and big willie, thanks

Old 09-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #69
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

I seem to recal they recorded Mike's drum parts like qotsa (Kit / cymbals separate). Hence why some of it is lifeless. Qotsa obviously did it for tonal reasons. I suspect billy did it because it made stuff easier to tidy up in protools... Don't like Mike's feel or style I general, especially the stuff that is just a pale imitation of some stuff 'like' what JC would typically do. Meh.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #70
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

He has since been surpassed by Brad Wilk as the worst drummer so ever had though. That was no mean feat.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #71
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
I seem to recal they recorded Mike's drum parts like qotsa (Kit / cymbals separate). Hence why some of it is lifeless. Qotsa obviously did it for tonal reasons. I suspect billy did it because it made stuff easier to tidy up in protools... Don't like Mike's feel or style I general, especially the stuff that is just a pale imitation of some stuff 'like' what JC would typically do. Meh.
honestly never knew this about qotsa - i know that's how Andy Gill apparently had Grohl record on the Killing Joke album, but either way it definitely worked stylistically in both of those cases a lot more than Oach which basically ended up sounded like they'd just stuck Mikey in a closet

Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #72
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't understand why they disbanded just when they were getting better as a band. They needed one more album together.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #73
cork_soaker
full of longing

'jeff, engage your warbly fx and set to max warble; it's 2013, we use lots of warbles now"

Old 09-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #74
cork_soaker
full of longing

jeff

Old 09-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #75
cork_soaker
full of longing

are you even listening to me

Old 09-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #76
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I don't understand why they disbanded just when they were getting better as a band. They needed one more album together.

Yeah, I gotta admit those opening Oach tracks are fire. If they could have captured that in the studio things would have went differently.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #77
phang
Ownz

I thought it was a fairly universal opinion that Oceania was good, and if the band was Billy, Jeff, Nicole and Jimmy it would've pretty much been top tier. Mike's drumming did sound lifeless but like others have pointed out, he was young and Billy worked him like a dog. He sounds alright outside of SP.

I thought the album was fine and those songs sounded great when I saw the band on that tour and the band looked like they were happy. Yeah there are some cringeworthy lyrics but nothing anywhere like the shit we get nowadays.

I remember a quote on something where Billy mentioned that he usually got very little joy walking into shows and venues, but seeing Mike's face light up when he would walk into these places for the first time would bring back his own memories of his youth. Humbling in words, but in reality it was plainly obvious he was jealous of the attention Mike and Nicole were getting and didn't understand the younger culture. It's probably why he's spent the last 8 years desperately trying to find a radio hit and talks about "kids buying t-shirts" to D'arcy.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #78
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Matt Burns fuckin sucks

Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #79
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

Hmmmmm, I wonder...

Old 09-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #80
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Everything bill does is in service of his ego

Old 09-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #81
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Byrne's style wasn't good for SP. He's ok in the studio but live his fills are terrible. IMO

This

Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #82
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post

yeah he sounded great at that show - nailed tristessa

Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #83
cork_soaker
full of longing

I see myself not as a whore but as a mirrored reflection in the feminine creative mind.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #84
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Recording Mike's cymbals/drums separately would be a terrible idea if that's the way they did it. Imagine never being in a studio before...and then being asked to play in a way you've never played before.

But then again, Mike's drums sound the same on all the Teargarden songs. It's like a little boxy indie drummer surrounded by clinical 1970s guitars.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:56 AM   #85
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember Billy saying that because of mike's inexperience in studio, they had to "cut and paste" his drums parts.

Old 09-24-2020, 04:20 AM   #86
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Recording Mike's cymbals/drums separately would be a terrible idea if that's the way they did it. Imagine never being in a studio before...and then being asked to play in a way you've never played before.

But then again, Mike's drums sound the same on all the Teargarden songs. It's like a little boxy indie drummer surrounded by clinical 1970s guitars.
i mean i'm sure it was just that they only mic'd up what they were recording per take, right? anything else would be insane

all the crash hits sound wrong. like it's just a note on a ride instead of an accent crash cymbal sound

Old 09-24-2020, 04:46 AM   #87
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
i mean i'm sure it was just that they only mic'd up what they were recording per take, right? anything else would be insane

all the crash hits sound wrong. like it's just a note on a ride instead of an accent crash cymbal sound
No I don't believe so. Mike said they just did completely different passes for drums and cymbals. "I played the cymbals separately and dropped them into the drum tracks".

https://www.moderndrummer.com/articl...king-instinct/

Interesting reading about QoTSA and how they approached it between records...
https://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...e-knows-590923

Quote:
I remember Billy saying that because of mike's inexperience in studio, they had to "cut and paste" his drums parts.
yep

Old 09-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #88
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

This is what I was told years ago:

They'd record several takes, presumably to a click, with mutes/mics on different drums for each take.

I don't think they actually did that. Just someone misunderstanding WPC or someone else saying something like "we recorded the drums separately". Doing that would be insane and unnecessary (i'm not a big shot producer tho so maybe it's cool and good).

Old 09-24-2020, 06:04 AM   #89
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
This is what I was told years ago:

They'd record several takes, presumably to a click, with mutes/mics on different drums for each take.

I don't think they actually did that. Just someone misunderstanding WPC or someone else saying something like "we recorded the drums separately". Doing that would be insane and unnecessary (i'm not a big shot producer tho so maybe it's cool and good).
Take a look at the articles i just linked. That is what they did.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #90
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Take a look at the articles i just linked. That is what they did.
thanks but I choose to believe my own more outlandish version