Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #181
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Would you believe, I held onto boot-cut until about 2 years ago when I finally gave up the ghost and started purchasing straight leg? jesus what a life changer

Old 10-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #182
redbreegull

speaking of eternally fashionable, a pair of boots with rolled up jeans increases sexiness factor on nearly any human by 5 points automatically (if you understand the rules of jean-rolling)

Old 10-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #183
FoolofaTook

Red face

including monte?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #184
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
speaking of eternally fashionable, a pair of boots with rolled up jeans increases sexiness factor on nearly any human by 5 points automatically (if you understand the rules of jean-rolling)
Yessssss

Old 10-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #185
redbreegull

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
including monte?
hey, I said nearly any human

Old 10-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #186
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
Out of interest, how do you think Kid A (two years later) has aged?
In my opinion, much better than all things SP.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #187
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
In my opinion, much better than all things SP.
You’re right. Kid A changed music as we know it for better and worse.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #188
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
any judgement of artistic quality is arbitrary.

popularity obviously does not automatically equal good, but it is something with more obvious quantifiable aspects than what is "good," which is entirely subjective and means nothing in a communicable sense unless you define exactly what good means.
yeah I have no horse in the race other than it's stupid to define music as entirely subjective and then go on and use popularity as an objective yardstick, that's how dudeman's posts read to me

Old 10-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #189
redbreegull

but do you know the difference between espresso and an espresso? HA! HA HA! I got you now.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #190
redbreegull

but tbh I was also confused at the beginning whether MonumentsRock was saying there is or isn't an objective measure of quality

Old 10-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #191
Elphenor
Braindead

kinda unrelated but I think Smashing Pumpkins are a band that kinda have no business being as popular as they are and I mean that in an endearing way

so it doesn't surprise me that they won't be remembered as a RockandRoll hall of fame group

Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #192
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
kinda unrelated but I think Smashing Pumpkins are a band that kinda have no business being as popular as they are and I mean that in an endearing way

so it doesn't surprise me that they won't be remembered as a RockandRoll hall of fame group
agreed. also, the popularity ruined bill's mind. imagine if he had spent the last 20 years investing in and cultivating the relationship with the hardcore fans instead of chasing the arena unicorn

Old 10-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #193
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
You’re right. Kid A changed music as we know it for better and worse.
What did Kid A influence, exactly? Where as I like Billy's whiny voice well enough, I never got into Yorke's moan-singing, so I have a huge blind spot when it comes to all things Radiohead. All I get from Kid A is a ponderous self-seriousness. Is that what they brought to the mainstream?

Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #194
Elphenor
Braindead

Yorke has a fantastic voice to my ears but a friend of mine told me he always sounds like he has a mouthful of food and it's true and pretty funny

Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #195
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
What did Kid A influence, exactly? Where as I like Billy's whiny voice well enough, I never got into Yorke's moan-singing, so I have a huge blind spot when it comes to all things Radiohead. All I get from Kid A is a ponderous self-seriousness. Is that what they brought to the mainstream?
this is kind of like asking how sergeant pepper or whatever changed music. ok, Kid A is not THAT influential because it came at a time when rock and guitar music was so much less ubiquitous, but it is still a rock that split the river kind of album.

also to each his own but it's crazy to me that you like Bill's voice but not Thom Yorke's, when Thom Yorke legitimately has a beautiful, dynamic, sprawling voice, especially in the early days

Old 10-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #196
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:

Fondness for Smashing Pumpkins will improve after Billy Corgan stops talking. A similar thing has happened with Oasis; people's opinion of the band has improved as time has passed. People forget about the rockstar B.S. eventually and remember that they loved the music. The question for Billy Corgan is whether he wants to still be alive or not when that time comes.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #197
Elphenor
Braindead

I think both Pumpkins and Radiohead have left a big influence on modern music it's just you might not like the groups that rep them

it's gonna be stuff like My Chemical Romance I think

and Imagine Dragons for a popular group that clearly likes Radiohead

Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #198
Elphenor
Braindead

why those groups are super poppy and imo, unlistanable, would have to do with there being no reason for Alternative Rock to go through mainstream channels anymore

Old 10-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #199
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Fondness for Smashing Pumpkins will improve after Billy Corgan stops talking. A similar thing has happened with Oasis; people's opinion of the band has improved as time has passed. People forget about the rockstar B.S. eventually and remember that they loved the music. The question for Billy Corgan is whether he wants to still be alive or not when that time comes.
I'd guess that this doesn't weigh very heavily omg rockstar says stupid things hold the presses

Old 10-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #200
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
also to each his own but it's crazy to me that you like Bill's voice but not Thom Yorke's, when Thom Yorke legitimately has a beautiful, dynamic, sprawling voice, especially in the early days
I think the big thing that's lacking from Yorke's singing that I'd require in order to call it in any way beautiful is enunciation. That's something Billy doesn't have any issues with.

When I think beautiful singing I think Roland Orzabal, personally. I don't know of any other pop/rock singer that even comes close. Roland Orzabal doing Creep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hs_67QETy4

Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 AM   #201
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
and Imagine Dragons for a popular group that clearly likes Radiohead
That came to mind, I wasn't sure how direct of an influence Radiohead might have been, though. Smashing Pumpkins' music often takes itself too seriously, but SP feels fun, where as Kid A and Imagine Dragon's sound is as serious as a cancer diagnosis. It just doesn't seem.. fun.

Last edited by MonumentsRocks : 10-15-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #202
Elphenor
Braindead

Imagine Dragons have covered Creep

Old 10-15-2018, 12:53 AM   #203
redbreegull

iono I think Thom Yorke has an extremely powerful, emotive voice and he has a lot of versatility. He is unusually adept at switching seamlessly between his head and modal voices, and is comfortable singing over I think 4 octaves including falsetto which is pretty good. Especially on the first two or three albums, he demonstrated that he had an exceptionally powerful chest voice.

Orzabal's voice is also very good, probably more virtuosic and trained than Yorke's. But you should give Radiohead and especially his voice another try. Despite his popularity as the guy in Radiohead, Thom Yorke is really underrated as a singer

Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 AM   #204
redbreegull

good scream in this song (cued just before it). pablo honey is not great, but it has some great vocal moments

Old 10-15-2018, 01:02 AM   #205
redbreegull

cued up, an example of his amazing falsetto capability

Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 AM   #206
redbreegull

this is another great vocal song. the last chorus (around 3:00) is I think the highest he ever sang in his modal voice on a recorded song

Radiohead - Sulk [The Bends] from faustidioteque on Vimeo.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:42 AM   #207
Elphenor
Braindead

plus he has dance moves that rival Ian Curtis

Old 10-15-2018, 03:03 AM   #208
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
What I think is really interesting about Kid A is that when it came out it sounded absolutely revolutionary in the context of alternative rock/indie/whatever. Unless you were plugged into stuff like Warp records it was totally new.

Now when you listen to it, though it still sounds really amazing, I dont think anyone would accuse it of sounding unpalatable (lots did at at the time) or especially revolutionary. Mainstream music in general has risen to its level. THAT’S the legacy of Kid A. And also the fact that Radiohead headline festivals all over the world despite having been an avant-gard electronic jazz band for nearly 20 years.

And while rock bands don’t often sound like Kid A, listen to stuff like Kanye, Tyler, The Creator, Lorde or Frank Ocean- Kid A is all over those records.

I also think there’s some of its DNA in what Arctic Monkeys are doing now, though more in spirit than specific sounds.

I love Adore, and I disagree it sounds dated but I don’t think its had that level of influence.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #209
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Why is everyone talking about Radiohead when we're supposed to be talking about jeans?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #210
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Soundscapes come, go, are tossed out like trash, are dug up, and then put on pedestals. Post-punk revivalism, synthwave.

Twenty years tops until the nu-metal revival bandwagon rolls around.