Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default New 1.5 hr Jimmy C interview

https://www.drummersresource.com/jim...in-interview2/

new meaning a year old and NO ONE TOLD ME

- SAOSB tour started being seriously formulated around October 2017

- They recorded 16 songs for the LP1 sessions. I would assume the 8 they didn't pick [although not necessarily finished according to JC] are better. The band didn't want to second guess Rick Rubin, out of some sort of respect.

- Band was forced to finish recording by the end of February 2018, which "forced their hand" creatively. All the drums were recorded within 3 days.

- JC originally had a more elaborate part for Travels but RR had him just play the straight groove all through. He was probably wrong

- "More often than not, the demo is what you fall in love with."

- "It's easier for me now to say, I wanna write something that's mournful, that climaxes in the middle and reaches some sort of celebration at the end...with years and years of playing you've got the technical chops to put that out there...your body reciprocates in a way it doesn't when you say 'I wanna play something in 6/8'".

- [This whole section he talked about 'recently' started to write parts more emotionally but hasn't he been literally always doing/talking about that lol]

- "I don't wanna go to a gig and see only drummers at my gig...is the best musician the musician that other musicians want to listen to, or the musician that everybody wants to listen to?"

- Rick Rubin: "You guys are the Smashing Pumpkins, people fucking like you, why are you spending your whole lives trying to be something else?" JC: "Sometimes it takes a world renowned producer, or a 5 year old, to tell you that" [or netphoria, hi jimmy] "...people dig it when you make music that sounds like you."

- Interviewer asks how to be happy with where we are and what we've achieved [with regards to career, playing, etc]. JC basically cites the Serenity Prayer - "living in present time, being okay with the fact that I can't change the past, can't control the future. I can only celebrate this moment."

- JC on children with learning disabilities; society, musicianship: "Before, in our infinite wisdom, when we started to tell [kids on the spectrum] they had something fucking wrong with them - which none of them do, of course - they were allowed to be creative and change the world....we celebrate the dysfunction of our past creators, and chastise the dysfunction of our future geniuses.....there’s this movement of trying to disconnect ourselves from who we are...People who celebrate their idiosyncrasies, being different than everyone else - we can all recite their names"

- [As an artist] "my job is to just be me." JC posted on insta about taking drum lessons and got tons of DMs saying he shouldn't change his playing at all. "I see myself as just a musician who practices every day and tries to get better", not a 'great drummer'.

- "I still play the Bonham fills wrong - I still play them snare-tom-kick drum-floor tom...just because that's how I heard it...when I saw him do it with his snare, rack tom, floor tom, bass drum, I'd already been playing it wrong for 20 years!"

- "I like to do stuff like play triplets with my feet, long rolls with my right hand, just so when Vic Salazar comes over I can do it!" "It’s all okay as long as we’re being honest with ourselves"

- paraphrasing JC: 'in the Pumpkins, the best shows we had were the ones where we were terrible, or were amazing'

- JC quoting Miles Davis: "If I don’t hear a guy fucking up then he’s not playing to his ability"

- check the timecode 1 hour, 2 minutes. Great story from the SD sessions. “*You’re never gonna play Geek USA buddy!*”

- "I got a full on interview just on ornithology. Not on music, just on birdwatching. That’s the kinda shit that really gets me going"

Last edited by Ram27 : 05-24-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:20 AM   #2
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

"Mike Byrne is the future of the The Smashing Pumpkins"

- Billy Corgan
January, 2020 interview

Old 02-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Thanks for this, I love listening to Jimmy talk.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

Ram, you gotta get out more, bro

Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

speaks from experience

Old 02-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

Ram does remind me of my young self in a lot of ways. And as a 33 year old man, I wish I could tell my 20 year old self to not idolize and glorify idiot rock-stars and the idiot rock-star way of life. My pursuits in living some kind of rock and roll lifestyle only lead to endless problems on a dead end street.

The sad thing is, music is the most idiotic pursuit for one to try and take, and it's even 10 times more so in 2020 now that the industry is dead. It's an exercise in futility really, and as fun as it is to indulge in a passion, it's probably better to focus ones energy in a more practical way... One will thank oneself later, that much is a certainty.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

you need to die

Old 02-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

speaks from experience

Old 02-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Joey fucked up my flow but it still works

Old 02-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

one might say works even better than originally intended

Old 02-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
fuzzyroes
Banned

So Joey Goldberg is clearly Tooks sock account, right?

He's even on at the time of day when Took was the only other guy on

Old 02-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

The day before yesterday I saw Took lurking in a thread and then minutes later the Goldberg account was the only other active user online... Coincidence? I think not!

Old 02-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #13
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Joey Goldberg is actually LaBelle's sock. You'd know that if you were still allowed on Gen Chat.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #14
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The day before yesterday I saw Took lurking in a thread and then minutes later the Goldberg account was the only other active user online... Coincidence? I think not!
you constantly make stupid, stupid posts as well as incorrect guesses as to the "men behind the masks"

Coincidence? I think not!

Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

in any case, here are two pairs of socks that I own:

Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #16
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
https://www.drummersresource.com/jim...in-interview2/

new meaning a year old and NO ONE TOLD ME

- I guess they recorded 16 songs for the LP1 sessions? Almost positive the 8 they didn't pick are better

- JC originally had a more elaborate part for Travels but RR had him just play the straight groove all through. He was probably wrong

- [When writing a drum part based on emotions rather than technical shit] your body reciprocates in a way it doesn't when you say 'i wanna play something in 6/8'. This whole section he talked about "recently" started to write parts more intuitively but hasn't he been literally always doing/talking about that lol

- "You guys are the Smashing Pumpkins, people fucking like you, why are you spending your whole lives trying to be something else?" - RR. "Sometimes it takes you a world renowned producer, or a 5 year old, to tell you that" [or netphoria hi jimmy] "People dig it when you make music that sounds like you"

- "When you say 'I think', just say 'I don't know'"

- "I ate out of a bowl last night"

- Interviewer asks how to be happy with where we are, what we've achieved. JC basically cites the Serenity Prayer. Don't ask me why I know what that is

- 'Before in our infinite wisdom when we started to tell [kids on the spectrum] they had something fucking wrong with them - which they don't - they were allowed to be creative and change the world’. ‘There’s a movement of trying to disconnect ourselves from who we are’ ‘People who celebrate their idiosyncrasies, being different than everyone else - we can all recite their names’

- ‘I still play the Bonham fills wrong - I still play them snare-tom-kick drum-floor tom…when I saw him do it I realized I’d been doing it wrong for 20 years!’ [I do it snare-floor tom-rack tom-kick — flam-right-left-kick lol]

- ‘Last time I was talking to [some guy] I was asking him questions like ‘how do I be more like you!’’

- ‘I like to play triplets with my feet, long rolls with my right…just so when Vic Salazar comes over I can do it lol!’ ‘It’s all okay as long as we’re being honest with ourselves’

- ‘All music has to be emotional, and sex is a powerful emotion. If you were sitting in a cave and heard someone beating a drum 100 yards away they either wanted food or [to fuck]’

- ‘If I don’t hear a guy fucking up then he’s not playing to his ability’ - Miles Davis - Jimmy Chamberlin

- ‘As they started talking about UX and UI it sounded very musical to me. It sounded like they were talking about writing songs’

- 1h2m worth listening to straight up. Jimmy talks about hanging out with Mike Mills in a bar in 1992 during the SD sessions. Mike played piano on Mayo and Soma apparently. [which is strikingly contrary to Billy’s account of Jimmy being missing for days during the recording and just randomly hearing word that he was at an REM show] “*You’re never gonna play Geek USA buddy!*”

- ‘I got a full on interview just on ornithology. Not on music, just on birdwatching. That’s the kinda shit that really gets me going’
Just being honest... it’s kind of difficult to tell what, of your summary, are his quotes, your thoughts, or someone quoting someone else quoting someone else.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #17
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
Just being honest... it’s kind of difficult to tell what, of your summary, are his quotes, your thoughts, or someone quoting someone else quoting someone else.
You sound like a casual fan

Of Ram27. Meanwhile, i understood the import of every word

Old 05-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #18
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
My bad.

seriously i felt shitty about this for like 2 months until i just decided to stop being lazy and transcribe it properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan, 1991/12/31
Yeah I can't even remember my own fucking song, it's pitiful. That's what happens when you take drugs when you play in a band.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #19
Ram27
dumb

i listen to, like, ALL the JC interviews, and it's always funny how it's a mix of funny down to earth drumming stuff, and super hippy semi-pretentious new age stuff [ex https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_visualization]

still miles better than corgan of course

Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #20
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds like Ruben fucked the record up. IMO. Maybe his Chi wasn't aligned that month.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:41 AM   #21
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
check the timecode 1 hour, 2 minutes. Great story from the SD sessions.[/b] “*You’re never gonna play Geek USA buddy!*”
This is a really interesting line of thought... but also moreso, a totally awesome story. Thanks for calling that out.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #22
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I was reading through this and became infuriated when reading the idiotic post about how pursuing music is a waste of time. I said who the fuck wrote this shit. And of course, it was fuzzy.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #23
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

One will thank oneself later, that much is a certainty.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #24
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Marco what the FUCK?

Old 05-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #25
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I was reading through this and became infuriated when reading the idiotic post about how pursuing music is a waste of time. I said who the fuck wrote this shit. And of course, it was fuzzy.
I seem to recall you being a fuzzy defender not too long ago.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #26
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Does anybody have any isolated drum tracks?

I'd prefer that the performer recorded was Jimmy, though I'm open to alternatives.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #27
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Update: Micky Boons is not a legitimate alternative.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #28
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Old 05-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #29
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
I seem to recall you being a fuzzy defender not too long ago.
there were definitely times where I may have agreed with him during some musical debate or something on here. agree with his politics? absolutely not.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:22 AM   #30
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Did you agree that Blink-182 is for kids and Green Day for adults or something?