Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
BeautifulLoser
Socialphobic

Red face World of Warcraft peoples...

Since Stacey's stupid ass put the other thread off topic...

Will you be playing on an RP-PVP server?

I'm thinking of starting an orc warrior on Emerald Dream...

Old 09-13-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Deleted_User

Thumbs down

Why dont you go save some people?

Old 09-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
BeautifulLoser
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by refills 79 cents
Why dont you go save some people?
*chuckles*

Old 09-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Deleted_User

Quote:
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser
you are fat.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Krazee's Ghost
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: the highest, happiest trip that you've ever been on
Talking

I'm sorry I ruined your thread...it seemed to be going so well!

Old 09-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #6
Krazee's Ghost
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: the highest, happiest trip that you've ever been on

But then again, so does this one...

Old 09-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

someone explain to me how insanely in-depth WoW is. I see posts and comics about it on Penny Arcade, like, every day. Guilds, camping, corpse camping, wars, servers, servers crashing, what the hell is going on the Internets that I don't know about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
BeautifulLoser
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly
someone explain to me how insanely in-depth WoW is. I see posts and comics about it on Penny Arcade, like, every day. Guilds, camping, corpse camping, wars, servers, servers crashing, what the hell is going on the Internets that I don't know about?
What do you mean in-depth?

Old 09-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Varien
Minion of Satan

If this gets a decent amount of steam i'll do it. BL hop on Eredar and make an Orc Warrior there, i already have characters there, as does Orchestra and Psoup 01. Get some more people who play to get on that server and i can help you poor fuckers out or something.

Truskh and Khrass (troll rogue)

I'll mostly be using the rogue, so msg me. I'm not that high a level that's why i suggested it. Get your shit together.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
Ugly
Immortal

Default ^

Thats what I mean by in-depth. Need translation. How the game works and guilds and all that stuff.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
funnygeezus
Apocalyptic Poster

i don't think i could resist the urge to make fun of people on a RP server. i'd get myself banned inside of a week. but yeah, if there's demand for a netphorian WoW guild or something i would be down for that. i'll play whereever, but i would suggest playing alliance on bloodscalp, as that's where my 60 is and i would really like to sugerdaddy myself, and so would varien if he wasn't a complete retard.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:32 PM   #12
BeautifulLoser
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Varien
BL hop on Eredar and make an Orc Warrior there
No, the whole point is that it's an RP-PVP server, and everyone'll be starting fresh. I'm not gonna start on another server you already have characters on, especially if it's not RP.

BTW, my Orc Warrior on Emerald Dream is Julianna

Old 09-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #13
funnygeezus
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: ^

here's a glossary of terms used in this thread (and a few important ones not used in this thread) for ugly:

server - there are tons of servers to play on. they are all the same world with the same stuff to do, except some have different rules. the server types are pvp, normal, rp and pvp-rp. even though the game is very similar from server to server, they are actually quite different based on a number of factors (age of server, population, etc.) and develop unique "rules" and economies.

guild - these are player-made and run groups that work together for some common goal. you really need a guild for the later stages of the game, and being in a good one right off the start is even better. good guild have a mission statement, like they are commited to one aspect of the game (pvp, questing, running instances for gear, farming, whatever).

pvp - player versus player. warcraft lore lends itself very good to the game's pvp game mechanics. it's alliance (humans, dwarves, gnomes, nightelves) versus horde (orcs, trolls, taurens, undead). even though some servers are normal and others are pvp, pvp is an important aspect of play on all servers. the game world is massive, and the parts that you start off in on each side are faction, in these places the opposing faction cannot PVP unless their opponent is flagged (either by attacking or by typing "/pvp"). on pvp servers, in the vast majority of the game world that is disputed, players can freely attack each other and on normal servers players must follow flagging rules similar to trying to attack faction in their home-territory.

rp - roleplaying. ok there are servers where people play the game IN CHARACTER. i LOVE roleplaying and i am a longtime D&D nerd, but i just can't wrap my head around playing WoW in character. sorry i can't. as of today there are servers that are both RP and PVP. which is slightly more paletable to me, but still not something i would be able to take seriously.

ganking - ok, ugly didn't mention this but it's crucial to other terms. ganking is killing an opponent on a pvp server who doesn't want to engage in pvp for some reason (they're trying to do something else, are low on health from another fight, are of a much lower level than you or are just a pussy in general).

(corpse) camping - when you die in WoW you are teleported to a graveyard close (but usually not as close as you'd like) to where you died. in order ro return to life you have to run back to your corpse. if a person who kills you stays in the vicinity of your corpse in order to kill you in the weakened state in which you will be upon "rezzing" they are corpse camping you. you can avoid running back to your corpse by talking to a ghost, called a spirit healer, in the graveyard. this will give you "res sickness" which will make you so weak that playing will be impossible for 10 minutes. if someone is waiting for you there then they are graveyard camping you.

wars - ok, this is mostly from penny arcade i take it. while there are well established rivalries between major guilds on ALL servers, there's nothing quite as in-depth (or awesome) as what penny arcade and pvp (the comic) are doing on dark iron. the downside to this amazing pvp (not the comic) conflict is that the server is incredibly overcrowded and it takes 20 minutes just to log onto it (i have never had to get in queue for any server i have played on).

group - you can join together with other players to complete common goals. while the game is "soloable" up to a certain point as all classes start out faily evenly, you eventually become specialized to a certain role and will have to "group" to get worthwhile things done. some players are tanks who take damage so that other classes won't have to, some are healers who heal other characters most specifically the tanks, some are damage-dealers who do the bulk of the enemy killing. these roles are all altered in pvp play.

raid - the standard for most of the game is 5-man groups. groups larger than 5 are called raids and you only form them to do certain objectives as it drastically reduces your ability to do other things (you cannot earn credit or get items for "quests" in raids unless it is a quest especially designed for raid play). raiding becomes a lot more common as your reach the "end game" (aka. the level cap, a which point the main method of character advancement changes from gaining experience to getting better equipment)

server crash - some events in WoW are just too much for the server hardware to handle. the only thing that makes my server crash is massive raids on major cities (which are incredibly fun up to the point where the server crashes).

there's so much more to the game than that. i didn't even mention battlegrounds, honor, instances...

Last edited by funnygeezus : 09-13-2005 at 11:13 PM.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #14
funnygeezus
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs down

so i went to make a char on emerald dream, if only so that i could mock people who play rp, and i ended up beign the 650th person in a queue line. maybe demand will go down, as this is the first day for rppvp, but i'm not going to play on a server where i have to wait for a half an hour to play. if i was willing to do that i'd be part of the madness going down on dark iron.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
BeautifulLoser
Socialphobic

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by funnygeezus
so i went to make a char on emerald dream, if only so that i could mock people who play rp, and i ended up beign the 650th person in a queue line. maybe demand will go down, as this is the first day for rppvp, but i'm not going to play on a server where i have to wait for a half an hour to play. if i was willing to do that i'd be part of the madness going down on dark iron.
Yeah, I just tried to get on there too.. fuck that.

They just opened a third RPPVP realm, Twisting Nether, me and PJ are starting up on that one.. there's still a line, but it's only about 80 people, and I"m sure the line will go away after a few days.

I wish I could play on Dark Iron. That shit sounds like fun.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
Varien
Minion of Satan

Quote:

No, the whole point is that it's an RP-PVP server, and everyone'll be starting fresh. I'm not gonna start on another server you already have characters on, especially if it's not RP.

BTW, my Orc Warrior on Emerald Dream is Julianna
Look i may be a big enough dork by playing the game, once i step into an RP server i step out of the clothes of a dork and into the snowsuit of a geek.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #17
Varien
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Yeah, I just tried to get on there too.. fuck that.

They just opened a third RPPVP realm, Twisting Nether, me and PJ are starting up on that one.. there's still a line, but it's only about 80 people, and I"m sure the line will go away after a few days.

I wish I could play on Dark Iron. That shit sounds like fun.
I have a level 10 priest there, but the lineup is just too retarded. I'm in Keepers of the Wang ala P.A.

btw who was PJ you were referring to i suck shit at names here let alone abbreviated ones.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 AM   #18
kiwi
Apocalyptic Poster

lol roleplaying lol

Old 09-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #19
funnygeezus
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:

btw who was PJ you were referring to i suck shit at names here let alone abbreviated ones.
it's pretty bad when you don't even know the names of all of netphoria's non-posting significan't others. no wait...

Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #20
funnygeezus
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Look i may be a big enough dork by playing the game, once i step into an RP server i step out of the clothes of a dork and into the snowsuit of a geek.
dude, geek>dork>nerd.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:00 AM   #21
BeautifulLoser
Socialphobic

Quote:

I have a level 10 priest there, but the lineup is just too retarded. I'm in Keepers of the Wang ala P.A.

PJ = my hubby

Old 09-14-2005, 01:41 AM   #22
Ugly
Immortal

Thumbs up

wow, super exhaustive and informative post. Thank you. I could never get into it because I can just picture it sucking me out into nothing, however, it makes the P.A. posts easier to understand.

This comic is still my favourite Warcraft one, anyway (I love the "Tentacles of fire! Hideous beaked maw!" line). I wonder when this server wipe thingie happened.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20041122l.jpg