Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #811
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

next up our resident indifineous person schools us on “Native American”

Old 09-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #812
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

and if you are voting for boden then why are you defens ing squish squash like he is a assault survivor. sounds like a red herring to me

Old 09-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #813
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Location: FlamingGlobes and FoolofaTook are both on my ignore list, and honestly, I love it.

So, what do you guys think of the Legend of Korra?

tbh I was pretty letdown. I mean Korra herself is fucking awesome (waaay better than Aang), but the rest of the series pretty much blows ass (except for the ending of season two. that epic battle in the spirit world PWNS!!!)

anyway yeah its like all the weak things about avatar got way worse in legend. the weak writing (in places in avatar, everywhere in leged), the corny jokes (once in a while in avatar, always in leged) and her supporting cast is hella lame. especially boolin. that fucker pisses me off. he really needs to stfu. his brother is boring af too.

so in conclusion: korra is awesome. korra's show is NOT awesome.

thoughts?

Old 09-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #814
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

why don’t you ju st get it over with and insult black Americans a gain for their lunch support for Biden. they are just too stu pod to know they are voting agains there interest right?? O glorious identity politicked one??

Old 09-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #815
FoolofaTook

Location: FlamingGlobes and FoolofaTook are both on my ignore list, and honestly, I love it.

Are you ignoring me?!?

Old 09-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #816
FoolofaTook

This one's nice. Earth, Fire, Air, and Water.

Adult Aang looks lame as hell tho. Needs to shave that shit asap.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #817
redbreegull

toooooooook

Old 09-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #818
redbreegull

if Trump wins PA, he wins the election. 538 just wrote a thing on it

duovamp, if you still live there, plz vote and thank u

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...2020-election/

if trump gets PA, he has something like an 8-9/10 shot of winning the election

Last edited by redbreegull : 09-15-2020 at 05:10 PM. Reason: source cited

Old 09-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #819
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
So, what do you guys think of the Legend of Korra?

tbh I was pretty letdown. I mean Korra herself is fucking awesome (waaay better than Aang), but the rest of the series pretty much blows ass (except for the ending of season two. that epic battle in the spirit world PWNS!!!)

anyway yeah its like all the weak things about avatar got way worse in legend. the weak writing (in places in avatar, everywhere in leged), the corny jokes (once in a while in avatar, always in leged) and her supporting cast is hella lame. especially boolin. that fucker pisses me off. he really needs to stfu. his brother is boring af too.

so in conclusion: korra is awesome. korra's show is NOT awesome.

thoughts?
I actually have barely seen Avatar. I think the extent of my viewing came from various times seeing episodes or parts of episodes in hotels and friends or relative’s houses when I was a kid/teenager.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #820
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUSNEEDSAHIT View Post
why don’t you ju st get it over with and insult black Americans a gain for their lunch support for Biden. they are just too stu pod to know they are voting agains there interest right?? O glorious identity politicked one??
No one said this. There are plenty of black people who aren’t voting for Biden anyways.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #821
smashingjj
that person

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
The term "Hispanic" is a term coined by the U.S. Government in the 1970 Census. The term can be used to identify a Spanish-speaking person, making the terms "Hispanic" and "Spanish" almost synonymous. The term "Spanish" is exclusive to Spain and the language itself, where the term "Hispanic" is inclusive of Spain and any Latin American country that are primarily Spanish-speaking. Overall, the term "Hispanic" is used to identify people, nations, and cultures that have historical links to Spain.

The term "Hispanic" has no basis on geography, it is based solely on the language native to the European Settlers that conquered the Americas from the Indigenous. The term "Hispanic" is inclusive of Spain and exclusive of Brazil, due to the fact that Portuguese is Brazil's official language. The term Latino excludes Spain and includes Brazil, as Brazil is in Latin America and Spain is in Europe.

"Latino" is a term used for people with cultural ties to Latin America. The term "Latin America" was coined in 1860 by the French Emperor, Napoleon III. The term was initially used to marginalize the Indigenous by creating a label to distinguish the land and its inhabitants from Europe.

Although we can tear into the pros and cons and historical points of each word (none are without a tinge of colonialism, by the way) deciding to use the term "Hispanic" over the term "Latino/a" is a clear marker of the 1492 Conquest of the Americas. The birth of the term "Hispanic" is what the conquistadores used to oppress when discovering the land almost 500 years ago. The term "Hispanic" embodies the bloodshed of the Indigenous and discredits the culture that was native to the lands before it was stolen by its colonizers.
(Originally posted on vibe.com)

Old 09-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #822
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
I actually have barely seen Avatar. I think the extent of my viewing came from various times seeing episodes or parts of episodes in hotels and friends or relative’s houses when I was a kid/teenager.
Man, Avatar is THE SHIT. Dude's been frozen for a hundred years, gets reawakened to find that his entire culture/ethnic group has been wiped out. Travels the world making friends and learning water/earth/fire bending skills so he can battle the Fire Lord.

oh and there's a GIANT FLYING BISON WITH SIX LEGS!!!

Old 09-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #823
Run To Me
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
if Trump wins PA, he wins the election. 538 just wrote a thing on it

duovamp, if you still live there, plz vote and thank u

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...2020-election/

if trump gets PA, he has something like an 8-9/10 shot of winning the election
Oh shit

So we r totally fucked? Has it been proven/decided? Guess only other thing i will need to know is how do i join the armed insurrection, thanks

Old 09-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #824
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
(Originally posted on vibe.com)
U WANT MORE? U GOT MORE

We're a week into what the federal government officially recognizes as National Hispanic Heritage Month. It's a time to celebrate the history and culture of Hispanic Americans from all backgrounds. Or should that be Latinos? Isabelia Herrera is a freelance reporter who's asking a question we've seen popping up more and more. She wrote a piece about it for The New York Times. It's titled, "Does Hispanic Heritage Month Need A Rebrand?" And she's with us now.

Isabelia Herrera, welcome. Thanks so much for joining us.

ISABELIA HERRERA: Thank you for having me.

MARTIN: Now, you write about something that might be a surprise to some. But you write that many people within the Latino community bristle at the term Hispanic. Why is that?

HERRERA: Yeah. I think these conversations have been going on for a while now. But now we're seeing them enter into more mainstream spaces. The question with the term Hispanic is primarily about its connection to Spain. The term Hispanic basically includes that colonial relationship to Spain. So it refers to people who are of Spanish descent, either living in Latin America or the U.S. And I think that now, as, you know, we're re-evaluating what that term and what that identity means, there's a lot of questions around that connection to Spain.

MARTIN: And when you say that some people bristle, do you - what have you observed? And I recognize this isn't, like, a scientific survey, but have you seen any through-line to the different opinions about it? Do you think it might be generational - that perhaps older people who are used to using the term are more comfortable with Hispanic, for older people versus younger people? Maybe is it geographic? Have you observed any kind of differences of opinion that land any particular way?

HERRERA: Yeah. I think it's both geographic and generational. The term was widely popularized in the '80s through the census, right? And I think an older generation of Latino folks still identify with that term very much because it was used in the census. It was used in, you know, Spanish-language media, on Univision and all different kinds of platforms. And I think now, we're having a new generation of folks - myself included in that generation - kind of looking - you know, re-evaluating that term and seeing that, you know, there are a lot of nuances that are flattened in this umbrella term that can't be reflected with what the reality is today.

MARTIN: So I think many people are now starting to see Latino or Latinx. In theory, this encompasses people with roots all over Latin America, from Mexico and the Caribbean and the north all the way to - so Chile and Argentina. Are you finding that many people like this term better? Do they feel that this is inclusive? Or are there other terms that people prefer? Do they really prefer their country of origin, for example, to be used? What are you hearing?

HERRERA: There are still some people who prefer their national identity, their nationalist identification. And then there are some that, you know, also find - take issue with the term Latino. Similarly to Hispanic, it is a umbrella term. So I think for my generation, Latino feels much more current. But I think there are certain, you know, members of my generation who still find issue, take issue with that term.

MARTIN: You know, there are those who would say that on the one hand, yes, specificity is important, and inclusion is important. But other people argue that these terms have political importance because if the importance is to show your numbers - right? - then...

HERRERA: Right.

MARTIN: Then the preferred term is one that allows as many people to be present as possible - and because that has political implications as well as, you know, emotional implications.

HERRERA: Sure. Sure.

MARTIN: So for people who have that concern - that the - and I don't mean this in a diminishing way, but this idea of greater and greater specificity is actually not beneficial in the long run because what it does is it actually makes people less visible rather than more visible. What would you say?

HERRERA: I spoke to a professor from UC Berkeley who wrote a book about the invention of the term Hispanics during the census debates. And, you know, she precisely said that it came out of this fight for recognition and this as an administrative quandary. So essentially, before, in the 1960s, Mexicans were categorized as white in the census, so therefore they were not being counted. The - you know, various resources that they weren't getting from the government, whether it was bilingual education or job training, community development grants - the idea was to create an umbrella term that would be able to get them resources from the federal government, right?

Well, within that own community, within that umbrella term, there are people who are, you know, perhaps suffering from certain structural inequalities more so than other members of the community. You know, there should be more conversations about equity and inclusivity within those different identities because, you know, certain members of the community - maybe black Latinos or indigenous Latinos - are not getting those resources that the larger umbrella term would offer others.

MARTIN: So are you prepared to take a position yourself - for yourself? I mean, I want - I don't know if you belong to, for example, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. And there are a number of other high-profile organizations like the Congressional Hispanic Caucus that still use that term. I know you're reporting on this as a journalist. But are you prepared to - I mean, are you prepared to make a recommendation, you know?

HERRERA: My recommendation, I think, would be for these organizations to be very attentive to these conversations and be very, you know, open to listening and understanding how these terms are evolving because I think there are real structural issues at play here that, you know, will only move our communities forward if there's more reflection on it.

MARTIN: That's Isabelia Herrera. She's a freelancer, and she just wrote a piece for The New York Times called, "Does Hispanic Heritage Month Need A Rebrand?"

Isabelia, thanks so much for talking to us.

HERRERA: Thank you.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #825
yo soy el mejor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
No one said this. There are plenty of black people who aren’t voting for Biden anyways.
my black neighbor is voting for trump. she asked us what is pizza, what is hot dogs?

Old 09-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #826
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Man, Avatar is THE SHIT. Dude's been frozen for a hundred years, gets reawakened to find that his entire culture/ethnic group has been wiped out. Travels the world making friends and learning water/earth/fire bending skills so he can battle the Fire Lord.

oh and there's a GIANT FLYING BISON WITH SIX LEGS!!!

I am quite partial to magical animals. Of course, real animals are magical too.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #827
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

My GF is still mad that Yang didn't make it very far in the primaries

Old 09-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #828
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Yang's podcast is better than his campaign was

https://yangspeaks.com/

Old 09-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #829
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Plot twist: Y S E M is MOAO’s girlfriend.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #830
yo soy el mejor

Old 09-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #831
yo soy el mejor

ol' lame ass biden out here playing despacito attempting to pander to "hispanics" while kamalama dingding harris is wearing bootleg timbs doing her part to pander to urban youth or whatever.

the democratic establishment will give us some kneels, cool kick, some songs in spanish, hip hop, and kente cloth, but they won't get behind defunding the police, remedying the damage from the 'war on drugs', housing as a right, abolishing ICE, or fairly taxing the rich and corporations. martin luther king said these moderate whites were a greater stumbling block to progress than the KKK.

thanks, everyone. this performance is super helpful:

Old 09-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #832
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I’m pro forced hysterectomy. What party is that?

Old 09-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #833
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
ol' lame ass biden out here playing despacito attempting to pander to "hispanics" while kamalama dingding harris is wearing bootleg timbs doing her part to pander to urban youth or whatever.

the democratic establishment will give us some kneels, cool kick, some songs in spanish, hip hop, and kente cloth, but they won't get behind defunding the police, remedying the damage from the 'war on drugs', housing as a right, abolishing ICE, or fairly taxing the rich and corporations. martin luther king said these moderate whites were a greater stumbling block to progress than the KKK.

thanks, everyone. this performance is super helpful:
I don’t think anyone here disagrees with you.
We don’t want a fascist in office though

Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #834
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
I’m pro forced hysterectomy. What party is that?
if it's women at the border, then neither party really gives a shit and you're good going with either one

Old 09-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #835
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
I don’t think anyone here disagrees with you.
We don’t want a fascist in office though
so you agree moderate white democrats and the democratic party are a greater stumbling block to progress than the KKK? because I said that

Old 09-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #836
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
so you agree moderate white democrats and the democratic party are a greater stumbling block to progress than the KKK? because I said that
Agreed, but Trump is worse than the KKK, he’s a literal Nazi

Old 09-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #837
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
if it's women at the border, then neither party really gives a shit and you're good going with either one
Not according to AOC.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #838
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Agreed
excellent. so you and others can suspend your honkie judgment and appreciate why a brown or black person would not want to vote for either. for better or worse, there are many and no one can blame them...especially a honkie with no frame of reference.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #839
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
excellent. so you and others can suspend your honkie judgment and appreciate why a brown or black person would not want to vote for either. for better or worse, there are many and no one can blame them...especially a honkie with no frame of reference.
It’s honky ya fascist. You’re a Nazi TERF. What else are ya?

Old 09-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #840
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Not according to AOC.
sadly, her integrity is an anomaly within the establishment. more of her, plz. or a party spinoff cause these old bureaucratic centrist farts only hinder.