Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #121
T&T
Socialphobic

that grudge must be 30 years old. I don't ever expect an Albini/Corgan team up in any lifetime.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #122
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Funny but I think Billy doesn't hold any grudge. He actually praised Albino on his Instagram q&a the other day.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #123
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Billy's gotta family and shit now. Still seems weird. I always figured that the old bastard would die alone.
not to spoil his life, but i don't think having children guarantees you won't die alone
bill has years of mental trauma to inflict on them

Old 03-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #124
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Funny but I think Billy doesn't hold any grudge. He actually praised Albino on his Instagram q&a the other day.
Albini is good at polishing a turd (see Razorblade Suitcase)

Teaming up with him would be too smart for Corgan

Old 03-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #125
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Albini isn’t really a “producer” producer. I think he even describes himself as a “recorder” or some shit. Dunno if that would be good for Billy and Friends or not.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #126
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Bill would probably have too much of a chip on his shoulder for whatever reason to work with Albini - we're probably more likely to get a collab with Malkmus or something

Honestly they should just self-produce the next thing. As much as one can complain that Machina II wasn't the greatest-sounding record, it was a hell of a lot more exciting to listen to than Shiny & O So Trite

Old 03-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #127
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Albini isn’t really a “producer” producer. I think he even describes himself as a “recorder” or some shit. Dunno if that would be good for Billy and Friends or not.
he is a recording engineer, but he is ready to work with anyone who genuinely wants to work with him, and try to get the most accurate sound that is representative of the band.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #128
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Well yeah, I know, my point is that he’d give the band some live grit on record which is what they need.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #129
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Albini despises the smashing pumpkins and went out of his way to mock them on multiple occasions. He hates Siamese Dream. There is no way in hell they will ever work together. Billy also can't write songs anymore so there is that.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #130
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Where's that gone down? Worst I've seen from him re: the Pumpkins was that SD wasn't his "cup of tea"

In terms of Billy I only ever saw the thing where he called him something along the lines of perfectly amicable

Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #131
myosis
Minion of Satan

"If somebody wants to work with me I'll usually try to do it. I don't have the luxury of turning down work for petty reasons."

Old 03-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #132
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
Albini despises the smashing pumpkins and went out of his way to mock them on multiple occasions. He hates Siamese Dream. There is no way in hell they will ever work together.
I think this covers most people here

Old 03-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #133
emilem
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
he is a recording engineer, but he is ready to work with anyone who genuinely wants to work with him, and try to get the most accurate sound that is representative of the band.
he's a producer with a 'i'm not really a producer' gimmick. bob weston is the true engineer. and yeah people say albinie tries to make the band sound most accurate to their live sound, but every band on the planet must really sound alike because you can tell an albini production effort form a mile away. i love steve but he's always bullshitting his way out of admiting he's a bit of a one trick pony. the big drums dry guitars recorded live because he'd rather be somewhere else playing poker kinda guy.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #134
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
he's a producer with a 'i'm not really a producer' gimmick. bob weston is the true engineer. and yeah people say albinie tries to make the band sound most accurate to their live sound, but every band on the planet must really sound alike because you can tell an albini production effort form a mile away. i love steve but he's always bullshitting his way out of admiting he's a bit of a one trick pony. the big drums dry guitars recorded live because he'd rather be somewhere else playing poker kinda guy.
Sounds like Rick Rubin. Big drums would be great tho

Old 03-27-2019, 05:55 AM   #135
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

While I love the Albini sound (Rid Of Me in particular), it wouldn't work for the Pumpkins. SP aren't a "live in the room sound" kind of band. They are a "each part has to be perfect and tweaked to the nth degree" kind of band. At least, they used to be.

SD was a studio album, not a live album. Gish and MCIS were more live sounding, but SD is where the real fire is. Adore again was a studio album. Machina was sort of a cross between the two.

The conclusion? SP are / should be a studio band.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #136
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I totally disagree. One thing that made me a fan was how the was able to understand the differences between live and studio performances. I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

You hear Adore and then you see the band playing the same songs live with totally different arrangements and it blows you away. I know sometimes it doesn't work, but I kinda like that, it feels (or use to) like they were always on the edge.

How many alternative live versions of Rocket we've got? It even disarm, muzzle etc?

Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #137
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

SP fans on Albini: an exercise in stupidity

Many uninformed takes in this thread, but this one takes the cake for dumbest post I've read in a long time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Albini is good at polishing a turd (see Razorblade Suitcase)
lol

Old 03-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #138
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #139
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
SP fans on Albini: an exercise in stupidity

Many uninformed takes in this thread, but this one takes the cake for dumbest post I've read in a long time:

lol
yeah i was gonna respond to that but ultimately opted out. in short: "polishing a turd" is pretty much the polar opposite of what Albini does

if anything he would simply "present the turd" in its best possible lighting

Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #140
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

exactly. if you play shitty or your amps/instruments sound don't sound great, you're gonna hear exactly that.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #141
FoolofaTook

What say you to that, NINSP?

Old 03-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #142
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I had the chance to talk to s few people after the gig and they did exactly the same "it sounded like the album, but something was missing". I stopped listening to Radiohead back then.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #143
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
What say you to that, NINSP?
i believe he's off re-evaluating the genius of BUSH

Old 04-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #144
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Hey.

Aside from Knights, Shiny Vol.1 is pretty good, guys. It just came on my playlist and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

If we can praise TFE then I’m not embarrassed to admit I’m hyped for Vol.2.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #145
FoolofaTook

Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #146
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I totally disagree. One thing that made me a fan was how the was able to understand the differences between live and studio performances. I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

You hear Adore and then you see the band playing the same songs live with totally different arrangements and it blows you away. I know sometimes it doesn't work, but I kinda like that, it feels (or use to) like they were always on the edge.

How many alternative live versions of Rocket we've got? It even disarm, muzzle etc?
None of that disproves my point that the best SP work is on record and not on stage. They were never a great live band, even back in the day. Maybe in the Gish era but SD on record blows any live SD performances out of the window. It's a different league.

Same with Adore. You can't get the intimacy of that record across in a live setting. Especially when you have two drummers and keyboard players and the like.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #147
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I am not sure of that either. I love some live performances more than the studio versions, from Gish to now. In fact, a few live shows made me like songs I didn't like the studio version.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #148
FoolofaTook

Angry

You got something to say to that, eviltimeban?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #149
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i don't understand how anyone could think MCIS-era SP was "not a great live band"

or the subsequent two eras for that matter

SD-era I guess I can get finding the live sound too "jarring" in comparison to the record but even so I think it's great. The way the Gish songs were so super-charged and whatnot (well, aside from say Rhinoceros) was awesome as well

Old 04-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #150
FoolofaTook

he's either trolling or untr00. either way he should be banned, which would be irony, given his "name".