Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-25-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
morespsoon

Lightbulb Two hardcore Christians were invited to join Pumpkins?... here's why

Two hardcore Christians have joined the Pumpkins, what's up?

I think it's obviously a reaction to happened with Zwan. With Zwan, Corgan and Chamberlain hired a bunch of headcases who all had questionable ethics and integrity. Mostly as a result of that, the band blew up almost as soon as got started.

IMHO, Corgan and Chamberlain learned their lesson with Zwan, so they hired people who apparently have some real ethics and integrity and probably aren't headcases.

That's my theory. I think my theory has been confirmed by this quote from Chamberlain:

“We went through a lot of growing pains finding musicians and people who had the same kind of musicianship. I did a lot of the auditions myself while Billy was doing the overdubs on the album, and what I gravitated to was even more spirit than talent. When I found the right two people, it was very obvious.”

What do you think?

Old 05-25-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
Desolation_Disco_King
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by morespsoon

I think it's obviously a reaction to happened with Zwan. With Zwan, Corgan and Chamberlain hired a bunch of headcases who all had questionable ethics and integrity. Mostly as a result of that, the band blew up almost as soon as got started.

IMHO, Corgan and Chamberlain learned their lesson with Zwan, so they hired people who apparently have some real ethics and integrity and probably aren't headcases.

That's my theory. I think my theory has been confirmed by this quote from Chamberlain:

“We went through a lot of growing pains finding musicians and people who had the same kind of musicianship. I did a lot of the auditions myself while Billy was doing the overdubs on the album, and what I gravitated to was even more spirit than talent. When I found the right two people, it was very obvious.”

What do you think?
no idea, but i find a lot of americans are very christiany...which i am not
so i have no clue

but decent theory

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
smashapumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

why do you say they are hardcore christians?

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Spankarine
Ownz

You might be right on the "spirit" issue.... but to call it "christian" may be a misnomer.

There's a lot of widereaching belief systems and ideas about spirituality, which ******* jesus and mary, or their archetypes... which are completely "unchristian" from the evangelical or dogmatic stand point of most christians.

I'm still not sure where people are getting "hardcore christian" from... do you really KNOW these people? I don't, but from what i can infer... they are all certainly openminded. Thus "hardcore" doesn't seem to fit.

I may be wrong. But, as a preacher's son, ex-minister myself, past atheist, now an agnostic (as averaged out by being an atheist who suffers from the delusion that he's the incarnation of god, cuz life's a joke)... i've studied a lot about belief systems, and i think it's wrong to too quickly classify corgan or any of these people as "christian".

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #5
TuralyonW3
Immortal

first of all, no way these guys are "hardcore christians" playing in a band like the smashing pumpkins.

but anyway, if them being christian was one of the reasons they were hired, it's probably cuz Billy was tired if getting his band fucked up by drugs (jimmy, d'arcy, sweeny, paz, pajo)

Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
mrlvx
Pledge

say no to benedict 666 !! or whatever it names !

jeje

..SP, again :::rokin fast and new...

everybody's now free..!

REVOLUTION !!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #7
Desolation_Disco_King
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristJesus
no joke, i thought...someone is gonna pull that out of their ass soon
and on a refresh, boom there it was lol

Old 05-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
pugghead
Pledge

you know if these guy were buddist, hindu or even muslim everyone would be like oooh how exotic, good on em'.

don't get me wrong, i'll buttfuck the next evangelist like the best of em', but lets atleast give em' a chance.

+ the zwan theorys crazy.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #9
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3
first of all, no way these guys are "hardcore christians" playing in a band like the smashing pumpkins.
If Dave Mustaine can do it, anyone can.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
Desolation_Disco_King
Demi-God

Quote:
If Dave Mustaine can do it, anyone can.
I met Mustaine in Montreal
i like...oh shit, '96?

and he was a badass, so yeah if he can
anyone can

i remember getting him to sign like 4 or 5 cd booklets
and then he goes...holy fuck, you want a locket of hair too? jesus christ

and i go, if you can spair it...yeah i'd like that LOL

he was kidding tho
which is good, cuase he may have set me on fire lol

Old 05-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #11
darcyismybass
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: makin movies, makin songs and fightin 'round the world

I think the whole "spirit more than talent" thing is a clear reference to image. Now we have Robo-Iha and Mini-D'arcy...I doubt that's a coincidence.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #12
Desolation_Disco_King
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyismybass
I think the whole "spirit more than talent" thing is a clear reference to image. Now we have Robo-Iha and Mini-D'arcy...I doubt that's a coincidence.
Imagine Gene Simmons in the Pumpkins?

Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #13
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristJesus
....aaaaaaaand saved to the ol hard drive

Old 05-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #14
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Cool

Quote:

That's funny, I definitely don't think the words "ethics" and "integrity" could be used to describe most Christians, at least not the ones that I've met in my lifetime when I'm in the U.S. The Christians I met in south India were pretty cool. They never tried to proselytize anyone that I could see during my three months there.

Maybe we've living on different planets. I'm living on Earth.

Let's name some Christians: George W. Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Jerry Falwell, and who else?

Old 05-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #15
darcyismybass
Apocalyptic Poster

Don't forget Pat Robertson...he's the holiest and most Christian of them all.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:49 AM   #16
Desolation_Disco_King
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo

That's funny, I definitely don't think the words "ethics" and "integrity" could be used to describe most Christians, at least not the ones that I've met in my lifetime when I'm in the U.S. The Christians I met in south India were pretty cool. They never tried to proselytize anyone that I could see during my three months there.

Maybe we've living on different planets. I'm living on Earth.

Let's name some Christians: George W. Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Jerry Falwell, and who else?
Lucifer

Old 05-25-2007, 05:50 AM   #17
darcyismybass
Apocalyptic Poster

Good point.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #18
greedo
Demi-God

Quote:

What do you think?
You seem to be equating religion with ethics (or saying that Billy and Jimmy are), which is extremely off the mark.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #19
TheJoker
Apocalyptic Poster

Jeff isn't Christian, he hangs out with a rough crowd. He's my dealer's bff.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
silvermachina
Demi-God

Keep in mind, there are lots of different versions of Christianity. That BS you see on TV called "Right Wing Evangelical Christianity" is nothing more than a political movement, based around money and deception, created by Zionist Freemasons who work toward the greater good of their pockets and the evil ones above them. Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, Jerry Falwell...all Freemason, Bohemian Grove attending conspirators. Its amazing reading your replies and seeing how many of you react to the word "Christian" by assuming those names above represent the truth. It honestly makes me sad that many people fall for that cover that is put out by the controlled media. Christianity is not wearing a golden cross around your neck, Christianity is not youth groups and praise choirs, Christianity is not pagan holidays like easter and christmas. If you believe that, you're just buying into the corporate side of false religion.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #21
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

yes. there are lots of sides to false religion and we ought not to ignore them

Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #22
Spankarine
Ownz

...arriving at Heaven en masse, Humanity throngs its way to the gates...

and God, peering over the top of the gate says "First one of you motherfuckers says anything that has to do with 'religion' and i'll smite yer ass to hell".

why did i post that? i forget.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #23
nii-o
Pledge

not to detour this but to second silvermachina slightly...I think ppl need to understand that ACTUAL christianity has nothing to america, england etc - look to north africa and the empires of ancient north africa first of all...

anyway give these guys a chance...I'm interested to know how many songs they know cos there isn't much chance to learn new ones between festivals (breaks will probably be used for...breaks lol)

Last edited by nii-o : 05-25-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #24
marymary
Pledge

Quote:
What do you think?
I think you should learn Jimmy's name.

(sorry, I know I'm a geek...but this bothers me)

Old 05-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #25
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

if you knew anything about jimmy's name you'd know that it has more to do with the ancient empires of north africa than anything and as such should be written in hieroglyphics. any romanised transcription is an abomination

Old 05-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #26
marymary
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyismybass

My feeling was that Jimmy was meaning they were looking for people who got on with them, had the same attitude towards the music, etc. Not anything religious...

Besides, how much does Ginger look like D'arcy, really? I mean, other than the fact that she's a chick...

Same thing with James - I don't think Jeff seems like him...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #27
Luke de Spa

if you ask me they both look way more north african than d'arcy or iha

Old 05-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #28
marymary
Pledge

What's with the north africa thing? Am I missing something, or are you just bored? (Or both - they're not mutually exclusive, I guess)

Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #29
Luke de Spa

clearly you know nothing about the history of ACTUAL christianity.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #30
marymary
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa
clearly you know nothing about the history of ACTUAL christianity.
Me? Well no, I don't know a lot about the history of christianity...but I wasn't talking about anything to do with christianity.