Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #31
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

I'll believe this is happening when we get the Metro DVD or even the Machina resissue

There's no fucking way Billy and Jimmy are playing MCIs and Machina in full on tour. They're too busy to even record music for the new thing that just came out

Also, they couldn't even pull off XYU and Jellybelly 10 years ago. This is a bad idea. Which fortunately will never come to fruition, because it cant.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #32
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Sp really working hard.i really appreciate and am excited for the opus....

Old 10-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #33
Brisk
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
I'll believe this is happening when we get the Metro DVD or even the Machina resissue

There's no fucking way Billy and Jimmy are playing MCIs and Machina in full on tour. They're too busy to even record music for the new thing that just came out

Also, they couldn't even pull off XYU and Jellybelly 10 years ago. This is a bad idea. Which fortunately will never come to fruition, because it cant.
Yeah don't wanna see those songs desecrated.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #34
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy trying to sucker in people by using the Mellon Collie name. Did everyone suddenly forget the last 20 years of Billy's musical output? I can't wait for Rick Rubin's Mellon Collie where they can't even get the band members in a room together. Gonna be amazing.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #35
Ram27
who's jimmy

to be fair they haven't done jelly since 97. same for xyu unless you count mike [which isn't quite fair]

with iha's guitar and jimmy i'm sure it'd be just listenable enough for us to hate the vox that much more

Old 10-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #36
incubator
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post

They’re not playing the albums in full. He was really firm on that and even asked people watching the video to correct anyone saying that it would be the albums in full.

He said the tours are going to be a “celebration of the time”, “songs from the time”.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #37
pinetree
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
They’re not playing the albums in full. He was really firm on that and even asked people watching the video to correct anyone saying that it would be the albums in full.

He said the tours are going to be a “celebration of the time”, “songs from the time”.
2025, MCIS 30 year anniversary, SP tour playing the classic double album in full, coming to a city near you!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #38
pinetree
Demi-God

live Q and A with Jimmy and billy happening now

https://youtu.be/POCwa-o9r00

billy making up a bunch of shit about his "characters" that no one understands

Old 10-23-2020, 10:33 PM   #39
Big Truck05
Ownz

I want Jimmy to talk more!!!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #40
pinetree
Demi-God

jimmy is so refreshingly normal and chill

Old 10-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #41
Big Truck05
Ownz

He really is. I could listen to Jimmy stories all night.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:22 PM   #42
selection7
Demi-God

Yeah, just watched the live Q&A. It's the most willing to acknowledge the greatness of MCIS I've ever seen of him in an interview. At one point Billy said he was getting chills talking about it, as was Jimmy acknowledging getting emotional.

Of course, there's a 100% chance that Billy overvalues the quality of the stuff he's been doing in the last decade. But fascinatingly (considering how pompous he often can come off), I've nevertheless long felt that he significantly undervalues what he accomplished with MCIS. ...be it due to his own struggles with not wanting to live in the past, or the way the music community has generally played down its role in music history, or some combination of etc.

So ultimately, maybe "somewhat undervalues" is a more accurate statement. But I'm glad, actually. Everyone who's ever wanted to be a rock star has wanted to make an album on that level, so it's a little sad when the guy who has done it can't also appreciate it.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:49 PM   #43
selection7
Demi-God

Some things that stuck out were Jimmy calling Jellybelly probably the hardest song to record he's ever drummed.

Also, that most all the heavy rockers on MCIS were recorded at ear-splitting volume live, not just live like is usually done in such circumstances. That's actually a little disappointing in a way because it means no chance of ever getting stems of those songs with decent separation. Not that I assumed such a thing was ever on the horizon, but just that now I know there's no hope (because it doesn't exist).

Also, the extent to which they praised Flood for capturing the core of the band's sound, rather than trying to shape it into something somewhat adjacent like everyone they'd ever worked/dealt with before had previously wanted from them.

Billy has long claimed that he's playing a bit of a character when he's on stage, which he said he effectively started moving toward near the end of the SD era, but Jimmy said he was too, actually, as a way of insulating himself from the craziness that comes along with all the attention and etc. Billy, saying the same thing, went as far as to compare it to abuse survivors' coping mechanisms and said he wouldn't have been strong enough to create and perform those songs if he was forced to be himself all the time. He namechecked Zeppelin and said that the whole thing of music as a pure expression of yourself, even by the 90's, had already been done to the maximum, and that the only way to push things even further was to turn it upside down.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #44
selection7
Demi-God

He said if not for Flood's influence, STRTJ, Mouths of Babes, and Cherry would have made the album. Though he didn't say what he would've dropped. My personal opinion is you drop Take Me Down for Jerry, To Forgive for Mouths of Babes, and then throw TAFH on disc 2, album length be damned. (Cherry doesn't make the cut) That makes an already ridiculously incredible album even more so. I'd be conflicted cutting any of those songs, though.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:38 AM   #45
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster

TOASE would be first to go if I was cutting anything from mcis.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:24 AM   #46
Ram27
who's jimmy

WOCOAN...beautuyfl...love....

Old 10-24-2020, 02:48 AM   #47
selection7
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
He said if not for Flood's influence, STRTJ, Mouths of Babes, and Cherry would have made the album.
To be more accurate, I believe Billy said he wasn't in favor of Cherry making the album at the time, though others were, and that he now thinks maybe they were right.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:57 AM   #48
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

What's with all this stuff about playing characters and transmutation? All of that is totally made up and incomprehensible. If you listen to MCIS interviews the band comes off as well adjusted and level headed. Billy definitely wasn't "playing a character." It makes it worse that Jimmy goes along with it, and now claims to be pretending to be a character. Like the what the hell is this? Both guys were totally unlistenable and grating. How did they get like this?

Last edited by GreenDogGlynis : 10-24-2020 at 03:53 AM.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:51 AM   #49
Ram27
who's jimmy

jimmy's into a bunch of weird hippy shit

i think the character bullshit is dumb, the storyline bullshit is dumb, the cartoon bullshit is dumb...just write good songs god fucking dammit

Old 10-24-2020, 05:35 AM   #50
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
TOASE would be first to go if I was cutting anything from mcis.
Yeah I agree.

TOASE is out and STRTJ in it’s place.

Possibly Jupiter’s Lament or Believe instead of Take of Down, but they’d need reworking to fit.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #51
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Scratch that, I'd keep TOASE and swap out To Forgive for STRTJ.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #52
pinetree
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i think the character bullshit is dumb, the storyline bullshit is dumb, the cartoon bullshit is dumb...just write good songs god fucking dammit
EXACTLY

Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #53
pinetree
Demi-God

to forgive is one of my favorite songs, you guys can't cut it, i won't allow it!

Old 10-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #54
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
WOCOAN...beautuyfl...love....
Maybe Love cause it’s repetitive. But the other two add some much needed quirkiness to the album. Couldn’t imagine it without those two. If it was all just heavy metal or depressing ballads it’d be a bit much.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #55
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
to forgive is one of my favorite songs, you guys can't cut it, i won't allow it!
Yeah no way. That’s an amazing song.

I really think the studio version of Ugly should’ve been on it.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #56
Greatvegetable
Ownz

I like Jimmy, but deliniation, languaging, transmutation, alchemy, fucking hell is he desperately trying to sound like he has something relevant to say. So Jimmy, tell me about the languaging on Shiny and Cyr.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #57
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

This is all marketing

It's a month before the Cyr release.

Billy is hoping some people will get confused and will think that Cyr is the imaginary sequel album he's talking about and buy Cyr instead.

This is social media marketing 101

Old 10-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #58
Brisk
Demi-God

Why was James not in this QnA thing? Oh because he realises this is all bullshit.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #59
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Is Cyr the same as Shiny, Volume 2? I'm seeing shit about releasing Cyr, the MCIS/Machina sequel, and Shiny, Volume 3. What the fuck is Volume 2?

Old 10-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #60
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
This is all marketing

It's a month before the Cyr release.

Billy is hoping some people will get confused and will think that Cyr is the imaginary sequel album he's talking about and buy Cyr instead.

This is social media marketing 101
I honestly don't think Corgan is intentionally sowing confusion.

I think he just legitimately sucks at both planning and messaging.