Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
bs1933
Demi-God

Default Tripping

So I feel like I've heard people talking about the band tripping a lot lately. Someone referenced it in another thread when talking about the Live Inside The Dark Globe disc. Also been mentioned when talking about the performance at the 97 Bridge School DVD.

Then there is also the jabs at Darcy / Kerry in the liner notes referring to the vocal tracks on Dreaming.

I guess I just didn't think the band was that into drugs. Billy has mentioned before back in the Gish days - but I just didn't think they were into substances really. Darcy obviously fell off the deep end in recent years - but the rest of the time I guess I didn't see it. Am I totally missing something?

Kind of fucked up if they are all tripping at Bridge School, the year after they all sat on Mtv and talked about how fucked up Jimmy was leading up to Melvoin's death.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

Have you read Billy's live journal confessions? He talks a bit about acid in the Gish/SD days and MDMA in the Adore era.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
bs1933
Demi-God

I haven't! Welp... there you go folks. I think its a pretty dick move to sit there and talk about how fucked up Jimmy and Jonathan were while they were doing drugs themselves. Lame. I can't believe how hard they were riding that high horse in that Mtv interview after his death.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
redbull
Immortal

billy is clearly on something (I think MDMA) during the Bridge School shows.

I also hear LSD all over 1992

Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Adult Head
Ownz

i don't see how anyone can really play an instrument whilst tripping substantially

i mean i tried it numerous times long ago and was completely useless

Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Adult Head
Ownz

was really tripping in my mind at the time

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Adult Head
Ownz

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...crcso1_400.gif

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

There's a difference between functional recreational drug use rand an addict that lets it get in the way of his job.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Adult Head
Ownz

you don't know what you're talking about. next.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Catherine Wheel
Banned

What if Billy's continued drug use after Jimmy's firing made Darcy think it was ok? Ever think that he was setting a bad example and it had an influence on Darcy's decision to use drugs?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
What if Billy's continued drug use after Jimmy's firing made Darcy think it was ok? Ever think that he was setting a bad example and it had an influence on Darcy's decision to use drugs?
LOL no, D'arcy did whatever she wanted, that is for damn sure.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Head View Post
you don't know what you're talking about. next.
Why? Half the band could use and keep it together, the other half couldn't.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Why? Half the band could use and keep it together, the other half couldn't.
Ya, the issue wasn't that he was using. It was that he overdosed three times and someone else died. He was an amazing drummer but a disaster. When D'arcy's drug use became a problem affecting the band she had to go too. Not sure if the quiting was mutual though.

Although, as a teen I really believed Billy was against drugs
But as an adult... Meh who cares if he f-ed around with drugs.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
bs1933
Demi-God

In general I agree with the sentiment that some of them could handle their shit and others couldn't. But... I've unfortunately had a lot of friends with substance abuse problems and too many who lost their lives to drug use. I would never drink a beer in front of a friend who was trying to dry out and just be like - oh you can't handle this but I can. If you are going to sit around and talk down recreational drug use then I think that's how you need to roll with your lifestyle.

I just think that whole Tabitha Soren interview was super bogus and a completely superficial PR move. I haven't watched it in a while so I don't remember the quote exactly but the whole "we have so many of our own problems on tour, like - I wake up everyday with a sore throat wondering if I have my voice - we can't babysit these dope heads" doesn't pass the smell test. Heroin isn't a "hey you're spending too much time with your needle" problem. They knew these guys were SUPER fucked up and they just let it slide - and further they were fucked up themselves.

I'm not coming down on anyone for whatever they want to do to themselves, but to put so much distance between themselves and Jimmy/Jonathan and be getting fucked up too at basically the same time is weak. But I guess that wouldn't be the first time that a rock star said whatever they had to say to make it look better.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1933 View Post
In general I agree with the sentiment that some of them could handle their shit and others couldn't. But... I've unfortunately had a lot of friends with substance abuse problems and too many who lost their lives to drug use. I would never drink a beer in front of a friend who was trying to dry out and just be like - oh you can't handle this but I can. If you are going to sit around and talk down recreational drug use then I think that's how you need to roll with your lifestyle.

I just think that whole Tabitha Soren interview was super bogus and a completely superficial PR move. I haven't watched it in a while so I don't remember the quote exactly but the whole "we have so many of our own problems on tour, like - I wake up everyday with a sore throat wondering if I have my voice - we can't babysit these dope heads" doesn't pass the smell test. Heroin isn't a "hey you're spending too much time with your needle" problem. They knew these guys were SUPER fucked up and they just let it slide - and further they were fucked up themselves.

I'm not coming down on anyone for whatever they want to do to themselves, but to put so much distance between themselves and Jimmy/Jonathan and be getting fucked up too at basically the same time is weak. But I guess that wouldn't be the first time that a rock star said whatever they had to say to make it look better.
Too much money at stake to kick him out. Just reality, people will ignore shit until they have to. Also, their drug use may have caused the inability to see shit clearly. Or react properly.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
slunken
Virgo

i agree with bs1933's sentiment but you have to remember that the band had been hiding everyone's drug use for over 6 years. and included within that, they kept it a secret that jimmy was completely volatile and would not show up for practices or recording sessions and would go missing for days.

what they could not keep a secret was their touring keyboard dying in between one of the most publicized shows during their most highly publicized tour.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

i hear you say things like this all the time and, i'm being serious, could you provide a definitive list of shows - no matter how short - that you are 100% sure billy is dosed?

i honestly can't be sure about any of them.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
T&T
Socialphobic

when Jonathan died, who called authorities? Jimmy. & that's why he got fired.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
slunken
Virgo

haha

"they split us up and kept us in separate rooms and interogated us"

THANKS A LOT JIMMY

Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #20
slunken
Virgo

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psc9bd3515.jpg

Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #21
Shallowed
Braindead

Can we post videos where it is known that the band were on something, or it seems like they're on something? Preferably while performing.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #22
Bread Regal
Banned

The thing about opiate addicts is that they don't look and behave how they're dramatized on tv. Yeah coke and meth will both make you gaunt and malnourished, but typically someone who is maintaining as jimmy probably was can keep it a secret for a long time. He could still play like a monster because he wasn't dosing to get high; he was dosing to keep from getting horribly sick.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #23
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

No doubt. Once your'e a heroin addict, it's all about maintenance to avoid severe opioid withdraw.

I'll be honest, back in the day I knew that the band fucked around with drugs recreationally during the Gish era but thought that everyone (except Jimmy, obviously) had long since stopped and were a "clean" band since that time. At least that is how they came across to me - especially after the VMA pre-show interview where they ripped into Jimmy for his destructive addict behavior but moreover, drug use. It's because he couldn't hold it together and made a complete mess for them, more like.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
billy is clearly on something (I think MDMA) during the Bridge School shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Head View Post
i don't see how anyone can really play an instrument whilst tripping substantially

i mean i tried it numerous times long ago and was completely useless
i feel the same way but corg definitely did it a good amount

Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #25
MusicMan4

its easy as shit to play an instrument on mdma

Old 07-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower View Post
its easy as shit to play an instrument on mdma
Oh no you see if AdultHead can't do it, then nobody can.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
MusicMan4

i've never tripped on the lsd cause i'm scared to b'c i have issues that it might make worse
but mdma isn't a hallucinogen
it just makes you feel awesome and happy all over
i'm pretty sure you'd play a pretty good show on it, i don't know

i barely play the piano anymore but if i'm rolling i can just sit down and bash away and stuff i used to know how to play all awesome just starts coming back to me

and then i come down and have no serotonin left and i get angry and depressed for having quit

but i dunno maybe it is real hard to do something on lsd
then again didnt some bro throw a no-hitter in mlb while hallucinating

Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
MusicMan4

hell yeah, this guy

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-while-on-lsd

Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #29
MusicMan4

mdma is so different from acid i imagine
it's a very functional drug, in its pure form at least. obviously driving can fuck off, but anything else seems fair to do on it

like i was fairly functional the one time i did shrooms but i didn't hallucinate or anything so i can't tell you. if i had my piano around i could have played some shit i think. i don't think if you do these drugs you can actually imagine what they are like.

opiates literally do nothing for me, so i dunno. but i imagine if you were hitting them hard you couldn't really play while high. maybe jimmy wasn't shooting up just before the shows and probably not during th e shows cause then we'd have hot tmz footage...i dunno

adulthead needs to get back into the godhead

Old 07-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

it's much harder to play on LSD than MDMA... no comparison. it's hard to think linearly and remember things, but if you just go with it and dont think about how fucked up you are, it's easier. as soon as i remember how dosed i am my playing goes to shit

if you had band practice on LSD it would probably be easier to play a show