Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Yep.
Oh hi!

Was actually wondering if you'd show up somewhere

Old 06-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #152
Elphenor
Braindead

I'm gonna cry if you don't remember me. I wanted to play guitar with you in Canada

Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #153
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I'm gonna cry if you don't have these movie type posters you made any more, farewell party.

I don't remember the context - likely you were making fun of someone's arguments and/or posting style. I remember one poster had Nicolas Cage on it? and full bullshit credits, too.

WHERE ARE THEY I NEED THEM

also do you know who else graces us - Cam ufo fuckface!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #154
hnibos
Braindead

I'm just gonna cry

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #155
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
what strikes me about comic book consistency is how nearly every comic book has a very particular inking and shading style, both in sketching and colouring

not sure how it wounds up so similar, employing probably dozens (if not hundreds) of artists. i'd think in the end you can't really get rid of personal touch, but apparently it's not impossible
I guess most mainstream comic-book inkers use crosshatching instead of, say, stippling. Also, comics pencilists tend not to shade in tones with the side of a pencil like traditional artists do, probably because of printing techniques and time.

But you can still see differences in inkers. I'm not too well-versed in inkers, but you can kind of see how Klaus Janson has his own style, or Mike Mignola has his. Some artists seem to like lots of crosshatching and fine lines, others like large blocks of solid black. For example, I was reading the Ed Brubaker Catwoman series, and you can definitely see the difference between Darwyn Cooke inking his own pencils and Mike Allred inking them. As for colorists, I know even less about them than I do inkers (they are kind of the unsung heroes of comics, along with letterers), but effective coloring can often go completely unnoticed, because it subtly effects the mood of the scene and adds dimension to the drawings. One of my favorite relatively young comics artists is Frazer Irving, who colors his own work most of the time. It's really ethereal and kind of unnatural looking. I think coloring as its own artform in comics is a somewhat recent thing, as new coloring methods have really increased the palettes open to artists. There was a time when coloring was left to the printers, instead of the actual artists. There were only a few possible colors, and coloring had more to do with differentiating characters than it did creating mood (which is why a character in an old comic might be wearing a bright yellow business suit-- to keep him distinct from the fellow in the bright blue business suit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i remember reading the xmen from 1963 and granted i skipped a lot of the stuff in the middle there before the cancellation, but right before it they had steranko and neil adams draw the damn book and it was like OH SHIT it's suddenly like a modern comic
Yeah, Adams is a great artist, both in his figures and his anatomy. I really dig his '70s Deadman series.

Some other great layout artists are J.H. Williams III and Chris Ware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
yeah i remember the kirby face erase as an entry in the comic book legends column.

to be fair, kirby's faces look like apes. That's right, I just shat on Kirby. Whatcha gonna do about it. Let's just say his style was out of touch by the 70's, I feel.
Yeah, his faces aren't really attractive. I don't mind, though. Kind of part of the charm. Those caveman heads and blocky fingers. I have a hypothesis that artists tend to draw their characters to look a little like themselves, probably because with a mirror, they are their most accessible reference. And Kirby had huge hands and kind of a defined forehead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I'm gonna cry if you don't remember me. I wanted to play guitar with you in Canada
Yup, I remember you, Elphy. How are things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I'm gonna cry if you don't have these movie type posters you made any more, farewell party.

I don't remember the context - likely you were making fun of someone's arguments and/or posting style. I remember one poster had Nicolas Cage on it? and full bullshit credits, too.

WHERE ARE THEY I NEED THEM

also do you know who else graces us - Cam ufo fuckface!
UFO was a good poster. Didn't know he was here.

Wouldn'tcha know, the Cage posters are still on Photobucket.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps3e1a3712.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps6ed0e7e8.png
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...pseb92c235.png

I think I remember the context being that some poster named Round And Round Used Uppercase For The First Letter Of Each Word, making us joke that his posts were all titles for movies he was working on.

I feel good that I prevented two people from crying today. Three, if you count that little boy who I was going to push into the dirt when his mum wasn't looking, but then decided not to.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #156
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
UFO was a good poster. Didn't know he was here.
I wondered if that was you, but there wasn't a lot to convince me either way. I always did figure that, given your style and demeanor, you'd hit the Netphorian ground running.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 AM   #157
Elphenor
Braindead

Farewell_Party is all style

Old 06-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #158
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:

Yup, I remember you, Elphy. How are things?

The same as always

Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #159
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Wouldn'tcha know, the Cage posters are still on Photobucket.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps3e1a3712.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...pseb92c235.png

I think I remember the context being that some poster named Round And Round Used Uppercase For The First Letter Of Each Word, making us joke that his posts were all titles for movies he was working on.

I feel good that I prevented two people from crying today. Three, if you count that little boy who I was going to push into the dirt when his mum wasn't looking, but then decided not to.

ahaha thank you!

vixnix look - your own movie poster appearance!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 AM   #160
Elphenor
Braindead

hahahah

Saint Renee, Wanabe, RoundandRound

I forgot about the completely psychotic posters

Old 06-29-2015, 03:01 AM   #161
buzzard
Minion of Satan

You do realize that wannabe was vixnix, right?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:05 AM   #162
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I wondered if that was you, but there wasn't a lot to convince me either way. I always did figure that, given your style and demeanor, you'd hit the Netphorian ground running.
Thanks. Yeah, this place isn't as bad as people claimed so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
hahahah

Saint Renee, Wanabe, RoundandRound

I forgot about the completely psychotic posters
Yeah, that board seemed to attract some very odd characters. Like that clique of mystical spirit-consciousness woo enthusiasts who seemed to be into the New Age aesthetic despite being strangely reactionary right-wingers (it looks like on this board, all of that inane pseudoskepticism is concentrated within a single poster, making it easier to avoid).

Then there were at least a couple who genuinely seemed psychotic and probably had some sort of serious clinical mental illnesses. I felt bad for them.

Quote:
ahaha thank you!
'Welcome!

Last edited by Disco King : 06-29-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Another Monte Mistake

Old 06-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #163
pavementtune

Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #164
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
ahaha thank you!

vixnix look - your own movie poster appearance!

oh man. good times!!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #165
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Brandon is cool.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #166
Disco King
Minion of Satan

He was great as the O-board's O-bard. Always admired how he could just create songs like it was nothing.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #167
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

bump

Old 03-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #168
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
when do youguys expect game changing catastrophe, i say 2025 at the latest. i figure enconomic collapse. meteor strike is possible for sure. i figure at some point we'll find out we're past the point of no return with the environment and most everyone will all be dead by 2100. i figure my "retirement" years will be spent sqatting in abandoned buildings and scaveging for food while i die from something i dont even know i have
i figure economic collapse because capitalism is bullshit and running on fumes & duct tape jury rigging and then some sort of monsterous war triggered mostly because of climate refugees who also happen to be all the brown people europeans oppressed & exploited and now resent & hate for some hilariously ironic reason. Reminds me of a joke. The British soldier is chasing an Irishman through a field. When he finally catches him, he throws him in the muck and the Irishman screams out "Why are you doing this?" The soldier responds as he beats him, "We'll never forgive you for what we've done to you."

we deserve it

Old 03-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #169
fuzzyroes
Banned

THE LEGEND IS BACK

Wassup Trotsky? How'd how'd you go about getting unbanned?

even though you hate me and all, it's good to see you back dude.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #170
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
i figure economic collapse because capitalism is bullshit and running on fumes & duct tape jury rigging and then some sort of monsterous war triggered mostly because of climate refugees who also happen to be all the brown people europeans oppressed & exploited and now resent & hate for some hilariously ironic reason. Reminds me of a joke. The British soldier is chasing an Irishman through a field. When he finally catches him, he throws him in the muck and the Irishman screams out "Why are you doing this?" The soldier responds as he beats him, "We'll never forgive you for what we've done to you."

we deserve it
So you've lost all hope for an alien invasion now. what happened to you, out there

Old 03-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #171
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
what happened to you, out there
i'll field this one.

1. spent too much time on twitter.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #172
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
So you've lost all hope for an alien invasion now. what happened to you, out there
i never thought that in my life you dingbat

Old 03-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #173
fuzzyroes
Banned

so what's the official story on Trot's return?

How is this met with so little fan-fare?!?!?!

Old 03-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #174
Trotskilicious
Banned

shut the fuck up fuzzy

Old 03-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #175
fuzzyroes
Banned

welcome back brother!