Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Default Sources: Justice Souter retiring.

Justice David Souter to retire from Supreme Court, source says - CNN.com

I guess it would have been too much to ask for us to get through this four year Obama debacle without letting him fuck up the Court.

On the bright side, at least it'll be switching a liberal for a liberal. And Obama really can't fuck this one up worse than Bush 1 did when he picked Souter in the first place.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Shouldn't really change the balance of the Court very much, unless Obama picks a radical.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Im less concerned with him after the whole post partisan stimulus thing sort of blew up in his face, but we'll see.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Homer: Oh no! Not Souter!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
this four year Obama debacle

There are 1,459 days in four years. We've experienced a little over 100. Arguing with you is rather factless.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
There are 1,459 days in four years. We've experienced a little over 100. Arguing with you is rather factless.
I am quite aware of how many days Obama has been in office. And it gives us a pretty darn good indication of how many days he has left.

This debacle will be over in four years. Or 1,360 days if you want to count it that way.

I can only hope is that the only justices he gets to replace during that time are Souter, Stevens, and Ginsburg.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Why do you feel that way, corganist? How would it benefit you

Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
I am quite aware of how many days Obama has been in office. And it gives us a pretty darn good indication of how many days he has left.
1,459 - 100 = 1,359

That's a pretty darn good equation!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Also, regardless of your feelings toward the president, you've twice now incorrectly substituted the word "debacle" for "presidency", unless you are referring to a certain mess you feel the president has gotten us into, in which case you should be more specific.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

so i guess Stevens' plan is that he's just gonna hold it until he dies

Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
TuralyonW3
Immortal

ah, republicans whining about presidents fucking things up.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
ATS
Apocalyptic Poster

obama's presidency is going to last EIGHT years not FOUR, FAGGOT, BITCH

Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

i also can't wait until this obama debacle is over so we can get back to the prosperity of the bush years.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #14
TuralyonW3
Immortal

we need to get our fucking war on or something

Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
Eulogy
huh

Corganist has turned into Sean Hannity.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:24 AM   #16
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
ah, republicans whining about presidents fucking things up.
Hey, if there was one thing the republicans/Bush didn't screw up in the last decade, it's been the Supreme Court. Of course, Bush had to be dragged kicking and screaming away from screwing it monumentally at least once, but he shaped up in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Corganist has turned into Sean Hannity.
Because I suspect Obama's act has already worn thin and that his welcome will be worn out come 2012? Come on. There's still a lot of time before 2012 comes around, but you've got to admit that Obama hasn't set the world on fire yet. I don't see how it's unreasonable at all to suspect that he'll be in for a fight if he goes on at his current pace. I usually have a pretty good sense about these things, all bias aside.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #17
Eulogy
huh

Thumbs down

Quote:
Hey, if there was one thing the republicans/Bush didn't screw up in the last decade, it's been the Supreme Court. Of course, Bush had to be dragged kicking and screaming away from screwing it monumentally at least once, but he shaped up in the end.

Because I suspect Obama's act has already worn thin and that his welcome will be worn out come 2012? Come on. There's still a lot of time before 2012 comes around, but you've got to admit that Obama hasn't set the world on fire yet. I don't see how it's unreasonable at all to suspect that he'll be in for a fight if he goes on at his current pace. I usually have a pretty good sense about these things, all bias aside.
Uh, I wasn't referring to your assumption that there won't be a second term. I was referring to your insistence that this is A DEBACLE!!!@!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #18
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Quote:
Because I suspect Obama's act has already worn thin
Obama Approval Rating Is 68 Percent, New Nationwide Poll Shows - Bloomberg.com

Obama Approval Rating Is 68 Percent, New Nationwide Poll Shows

April 28 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama has an approval rating of 68 percent, a higher figure than his predecessor had at his 100-day mark in office, a poll found.

The New York Times/CBS News poll also showed that two- thirds of Americans say race relations in the country are generally good, with the percentage of black respondents who say so doubling since last July. Half of black Americans still believe that white people have more opportunity to get ahead in society, according to the survey.

In a sign of the strong support Obama maintains in the black community, 70 percent of the poll’s black respondents said the country is on the right track, compared with 34 percent of white respondents.

The first U.S. black president will mark his 100th day in office tomorrow by answering voters’ questions in Missouri and holding a primetime news conference in Washington.

The nationwide poll of almost 1,000 adults from April 22-26 shows widespread support for how Obama has addressed issues, including whether Congress should investigate interrogation methods authorized by former President George W. Bush.

Sixty-two percent of Americans agreed with Obama that hearings looking into the matter aren’t necessary, according to the survey.

The telephone poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points for all adults and plus or minus 7 percentage points for black respondents.

Bush’s Rating

Bush had an approval rating of 56 percent at this point in his first term in a similar survey. The Times/CBS News poll figures for other recent presidents weren’t provided.

In the new poll, 62 percent of white respondents approved of Obama’s performance. Among black respondents, his approval rating was 96 percent.

Among all those questioned, 72 percent said they are optimistic about the next four years. And most of the respondents said they expect Obama to make progress in overhauling health care, energy and immigration policy.

At the same time, most people questioned said they don’t expect the president to be able to end the war in Iraq or the economic recession by the end of his first term.

Fewer than half, 48 percent, said the president has started to make progress on changing the way business is done in Washington, one of Obama’s key campaign pledges. Only 39 percent said he’s making headway on another top promise: cutting taxes for middle-class workers.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Don't forget he only seems that popular if you count the opinion of black people.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Uh, I wasn't referring to your assumption that there won't be a second term. I was referring to your insistence that this is A DEBACLE!!!@!
Fine. It's not a debacle yet. I guess it's still possible that Obama can do something useful or good that actually has tangible results before the next election. But the first 100 days shouldn't have given anyone high hopes for that, IMO.

But hey, who cares about what he does? A lot of people have a vague and poorly defined sense of optimism now!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #21
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I'm really angry at you corganist and not just because I disagree

Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

its the av isnt it.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #23
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Pakula View Post
Obama Approval Rating Is 68 Percent, New Nationwide Poll Shows - Bloomberg.com

Obama Approval Rating Is 68 Percent, New Nationwide Poll Shows

April 28 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama has an approval rating of 68 percent, a higher figure than his predecessor had at his 100-day mark in office, a poll found.

The New York Times/CBS News poll also showed that two- thirds of Americans say race relations in the country are generally good, with the percentage of black respondents who say so doubling since last July. Half of black Americans still believe that white people have more opportunity to get ahead in society, according to the survey.

In a sign of the strong support Obama maintains in the black community, 70 percent of the poll’s black respondents said the country is on the right track, compared with 34 percent of white respondents.

The first U.S. black president will mark his 100th day in office tomorrow by answering voters’ questions in Missouri and holding a primetime news conference in Washington.

The nationwide poll of almost 1,000 adults from April 22-26 shows widespread support for how Obama has addressed issues, including whether Congress should investigate interrogation methods authorized by former President George W. Bush.

Sixty-two percent of Americans agreed with Obama that hearings looking into the matter aren’t necessary, according to the survey.

The telephone poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points for all adults and plus or minus 7 percentage points for black respondents.

Bush’s Rating

Bush had an approval rating of 56 percent at this point in his first term in a similar survey. The Times/CBS News poll figures for other recent presidents weren’t provided.

In the new poll, 62 percent of white respondents approved of Obama’s performance. Among black respondents, his approval rating was 96 percent.

Among all those questioned, 72 percent said they are optimistic about the next four years. And most of the respondents said they expect Obama to make progress in overhauling health care, energy and immigration policy.

At the same time, most people questioned said they don’t expect the president to be able to end the war in Iraq or the economic recession by the end of his first term.

Fewer than half, 48 percent, said the president has started to make progress on changing the way business is done in Washington, one of Obama’s key campaign pledges. Only 39 percent said he’s making headway on another top promise: cutting taxes for middle-class workers.
every president polls well at 100 days. this doesn't mean anything.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #24
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Presidential Job Approval Ratings Following the First 100 Days

he looks pretty average here

Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #25
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Fine. It's not a debacle yet. I guess it's still possible that Obama can do something useful or good that actually has tangible results before the next election. But the first 100 days shouldn't have given anyone high hopes for that, IMO.

But hey, who cares about what he does? A lot of people have a vague and poorly defined sense of optimism now!
yes, let's mock people who are calling it a potential success while calling it an unequivocal failure. you suck.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #26
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
also this poll shows Bush at 62%

Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

the only important thing about the first 100 days is the policy made moving forward for the next four years. pretty much everything the president has to do should be implemented or at least announced in the first 100 days.

though i still have yet to hear about the demise of "no child left behind" so i'm thinking the 100 days wasn't as productive...Seems like I remember Bush had pretty much all his shitty policy set up by the end of the first three months. Obama doesn't even have a full cabinet yet.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
the only important thing about the first 100 days is the policy made moving forward for the next four years. pretty much everything the president has to do should be implemented or at least announced in the first 100 days.

though i still have yet to hear about the demise of "no child left behind" so i'm thinking the 100 days wasn't as productive...Seems like I remember Bush had pretty much all his shitty policy set up by the end of the first three months. Obama doesn't even have a full cabinet yet.
...but Bush's ENTIRE presidency was defined by 9/11, which happened well after the 3 month mark of his Presidency.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

you were like 10 when it started though right.. so in sum what do you know

i mean the economic policy, the education policy, the attack on science, all that was set up in bush's first hundered days

and i'm willing to wager the exploratory inquiries about the iraq invasion as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #30
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

i miss bush ;_;