Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
muzzled4life
Demi-God

Default I've said it once, and I'll say it again...unconditional positive regard for Pumpkins

I just feel like this needs to be said, with all the complaining about Billy/ newpumpkins and all the 'remember when billy (inset complaint)" posts that frustrate me....

Lately I've been listening to a broad array of pumpkins songs and watching the concerts, both old and new, and I've come to realize this is a band I will forever have unconditional positive regard for. There is no other band I feel this way for. Despite that when I hear/see some material that makes me cringe (i.e. Billy's vocals at times) and I want to change to the next track, I still say to myself I love the Pumpkins and always will. It seems most people outgrow bands, but I've been fascinated with the Pumpkins since I was in 5th grade, and I'm a senior in college now. Maybe my high tolerance for them allows me to be more patient with any less than satisfactory material they produce. In other words, no matter what direction the pumpkins go in, they will still be my favorite. Does anyone else get what I'm saying or is this a foolish rant?

I'm happy the 'band' is back up and running and making music, its still a pleasure for me.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1...rtb5st8.th.jpg

Last edited by muzzled4life : 04-07-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

i don't know if i would say it that way, but yeah, i guess

Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i complain a lot, but i feel the same.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
T&T
Socialphobic

I get what you're saying.

Unconditional Love.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzled4life View Post
I hear/see some material that makes me cringe (i.e. Billy's vocals at times) and I want to change to the next track
untrue fan alert.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
redbull
Immortal

Arrow

Quote:
I just feel like this needs to be said, with all the complaining about Billy/ newpumpkins and all the 'remember when billy (inset complaint)" posts that frustrate me....

Lately I've been listening to a broad array of pumpkins songs and watching the concerts, both old and new, and I've come to realize this is a band I will forever have unconditional positive regard for. There is no other band I feel this way for. Despite that when I hear/see some material that makes me cringe (i.e. Billy's vocals at times) and I want to change to the next track, I still say to myself I love the Pumpkins and always will. It seems most people outgrow bands, but I've been fascinated with the Pumpkins since I was in 5th grade, and I'm a senior in college now. Maybe my high tolerance for them allows me to be more patient with any less than satisfactory material they produce. In other words, no matter what direction the pumpkins go in, they will still be my favorite. Does anyone else get what I'm saying or is this a foolish rant?

I'm happy the 'band' is back up and running and making music, its still a pleasure for me.
this means that you are a nazi zombie android

Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
The Melty Man
Ownz

You're the man (or woman), and I totally agree.

And I am sick of all the whining "true fans", who like the guy I just saw after the Festival Hall show in Melbourne, who complained like it wasn't, errrr, you know, like the best gig he'd ever seen and they were getting a bit self-indulgent toward the end of the set. If you don't like it, go and spend your time somewhere better and then we'll see how much of true fan you are.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Melty Man View Post
You're the man (or woman), and I totally agree.

And I am sick of all the whining "true fans", who like the guy I just saw after the Festival Hall show in Melbourne, who complained like it wasn't, errrr, you know, like the best gig he'd ever seen and they were getting a bit self-indulgent toward the end of the set. If you don't like it, go and spend your time somewhere better and then we'll see how much of true fan you are.
you're right, theres no reason to get upset about pay 60 bucks to see billy play whale noises for 15 minutes

Old 04-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
selection7
Demi-God

But seriously. Billy could play whale noises much better than most!

And to the OP, it would seem there's better things to have unconditional love for than SP, but if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, then great.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #10
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

Quote:

what are you, some kinda fag?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:58 AM   #11
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
you're right, theres no reason to get upset about pay 60 bucks to see billy play whale noises for 15 minutes
try $100+....

that melb festival hall show was pretty crap. it doesn't mean your not a fan if you don't kiss the ground billy walks on and think he can do no wrong.

yet the v fest melb show was outstanding, almost up to the true pumpkins standard.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
Shinobi
Demi-God

Im the same. I'll always love the Pumpkins.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #13
meh
Pledge

bob geldof said it best in that documentary about the new york dolls....

"everybody has that one band that they discover as a teenager, that gets them right at the right moment, it may be a gig or an album or whatever, but from that moment on that band can do no wrong"...

i think that's the case with corgan and the pumpkins for most of us. we can genuinely dislike some of the stuff but we give it the time of day because of the connection we felt with the artist at some point as teenagers. somehow we forceably find the same connection in some way with the new material, it may not come as easy or as often, but its still there, and thats why we remain fans.

deep.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 AM   #14
gisher
Pledge

Thumbs up

I first saw them in 1991 and have loved them ever since. Like marriage, I love them through the many ups and downs.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #15
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

Quote:

Is there something good about vowing to like a band even at times when it might suck? People like music when it's good and don't like it when it's bad. Just stick to conditional positive regard like a normal person, unless you think you're too good for us.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
Piggy
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisher View Post
I first saw them in 1991 and have loved them ever since. Like marriage, I love them through the many ups and downs.
You mean people still do that nowadays?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
And to the OP, it would seem there's better things to have unconditional love for than SP, but if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, then great.
love does not run out. we are capable of infinite love!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
werideatdusk
Ownz

i feel the same way and i dont get why people who have no interest in what Billy and Jimmy are doing now or have been doing continue to wither away their lives discussing them.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #19
The Melty Man
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
$60 well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
try $100+....

that melb festival hall show was pretty crap. it doesn't mean your not a fan if you don't kiss the ground billy walks on and think he can do no wrong.

yet the v fest melb show was outstanding, almost up to the true pumpkins standard.
Okay, I reckon the V Festival rocked more, i.e., crowd response, band response to crowd, rocking songs, but Festival Hall was far more intimate, up close and personal with Billy, and with songs like My Blue Heaven, Lily and Behold! The Night Mare, that show was just as important as the rocking aspect of the Pumpkins.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #20
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

I LOVE BEING A TURTLE

Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #21
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
Im the same. I'll always love the Pumpkins.
we don't want your kind round here

Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #22
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Woods View Post
I LOVE BEING A TURTLE
Winner, hands down. /Thread.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #23
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i genuinely do enjoy listening to billy's self indulgent whale noises. I'd spend much more than 60 bucks to listen to it for hours and hours. SUCK ON THAT REDBULL.

I just watched explosions in the sky on austin city limits this past weekend, and found it pretty enjoyable. Everyone around here was certainly jizzing all over them when they found out they were playing with sp. You can't tell me that a lot of that isn't self indulgent. So why is it okay for some little-known indie band to be self indulgent, but if billy does it, god forbid. It's a fucking sin for him to do so. And as it's been parodied on other threads, but it's true...when jonny greenwood makes a bunch of weird noises, everyone bows down to worship the guy. You fuckin corgan haters.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #24
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo View Post
SUCK ON THAT REDBULL.
redbull sucks on everything.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #25
syntheticdna
Pledge

that's all very well but this unconditional love thing is not what netphoria is for.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #26
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

They are playing eye on the radio right now (wfnx).. I was pleasantly surprised, its always 1979 or disarm

Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #27
Caine Walker
Braindead

i just went to listen to Eye and realized that i don't have it on my goddamn ipod. screw that shit.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #28
<sp3

ill always love the pumpkins/billy corgan no mater what crazy shit they/he may record. i have accepted this fact.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #29
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

eye is good, one of the few sp songs i still purposefully listen to a bunch

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #30
muzzled4life
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticdna View Post
that's all very well but this unconditional love thing is not what netphoria is for.
Note I said unconditional positive REGARD, not love, bit of a difference. But I think I know what you mean, sometimes netphoria is a way to vicariously sent criticisms to the band when needed .