Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #481
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
what interests me is also what exactly make some people go the way of cluster-B (npd/bpd etc) and others go the way of dissociative disorders (although of course there is overlap, especially with BPD) and others to later develop eating disorders, depression, OCD, etc

for example i went the way of extreme dissociation and complex ptsd (i had trauma in family of origin and outside for extended periods of time) and depression, without diagnosable personality disorder traits (besides the basic overlap with dissociation and self harm/suicidality of bpd). which i am fucking grateful for. but i wonder if it's the exact nature of the trauma or what
I hear you! This is a big and interesting question.

There’s definitely a lot of overlap between not only the personality disorders and dissociative symptoms but also things like OCD and depression and disordered eating.

Like a LOT of overlap.

There’s definitely even a legit theoretical orientation that says, “hey guess what?
BPD and NPD are just complex PTSD in disguise!”

I think you’re hitting the nail right on the head by viewing trauma as what underlies all of these clinical entities. People react to trauma in different ways. But what all of the above symptoms and diagnoses you mentioned (and more) have in common is that they are all almost always at least partly a functional response to trauma.

The field is slowly but surely moving away from having personality disorders all neatly separated into neat little boxes and looking at them instead as being a collection of pathological traits which all people have to some degree. What that amounts to is a “dimensional” rather than “categorical” approach.

There’s ultimately a point at which the DSM and ICD break down on a practical level as classification systems because all human beings are individuals, our ability to define and categorize mental disorders effectively is limited, and the way a person’s presenting pathology interacts with and is a function of their environment is absolutely critical.

Fascinating stuff right?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 AM   #482
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

absolutely. i know for the DSM 5 they were going to go with the dimensional thing, at least to some extent but ended up scrapping it. and i agree people do what is functional to deal with trauma, and depending on the actual situation and the person's strengths (intelligence or creativity or whatever) you get different manifestations. and then of course if this happens for long enough or the trauma is severe enough, it becomes a general coping mechanism in everyday life. what was functional becomes dysfunctional etc.

i guess i was really good at just going away and also just pretending shit wasn't actually real. which led to chronic, constant derealization! good going brain. i recently took the SCID-D and there were all kinds of questions about "episodes" of dissocation and i found it very hard to answer. i don't have episodes. it's constant. it can get a bit worse in some circumstances. but it's like the blood in my veins. always there.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:15 AM   #483
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Eventually in life as an adult, you have to take responsibility and accountability for your actions.
Imagine if adults took responsibility for their own actions while raising their children.

Now there's an idea.

I feel like Billy was on the right track dealing with his issues until TFE, but then seemed to abandon modern medicine/psychiatry in favor of crystal healers etc.

Last edited by Funbags : 08-02-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #484
TuralyonW3
Immortal

quite a big new dump overnight with some entertaining stuff

Old 08-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #485
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

I love this photo. It makes me want to discuss something that I am no expert in (parenting), but first I'd like to point out what I see when I gaze at Augustus here, tinkling on the ivories. So, in a stream of consciousness: he is confident, sitting upright, and he is welcome to the instrument, but he also knows that it is not a toy which is why Augustus looks so serious. It's also worth pointing out that this photo was taken at the home of @pawschicago founder Paula Fasseas, and there's nothing staged here. My son asked to play the piano for everyone, and this is the result. When he was very small (about 2 months) I'd sit him on my lap and show him that if he struck the keys it would make a sound. What sound, how hard he hit, I told him, what not important. Just that he had the choice, and over time we have tweaked that a bit, like 'no piano before 8 AM, please.' And that striking the keys too hard doesn't make for the most pleasant sound. For when I was little I wasn't allowed to touch any piano I came in contact with. And the penalty for such was to be rapped on the knuckles, or have the piano lid slammed shut over those same fingers, being told in no uncertain terms that the instrument was forbidden. I'd beg for 5 mins freedom, or sneak to it when no one was home, but being a guilty pleasure I associated my rare moments at the helm with the committing of a crime. Which brings me to my parenting. Based on life experience, I am in absolute poverty as to how to teach from a place of love, or with patience. Of course I do my best. And understand it's a child's providence to challenge authority (I welcome it, in fact; after all, my son is a Corgan). But I'd tell you I know more from 70's TV on what is appropriate child rearing than the examples my elders set. For anything good came with a horrific price, and it's quite obvious it took me years to navigate the damage of that cost. And the reason I'm saying this is twofold: I know there are many, many people in my same position, or (for those who aren't parents) you need to nurture the broken child in you. Or you want a closer relationship to your pet(s). So let's wade in to those waters, and soon.

Ein Beitrag geteilt von WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) am

Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #486
run2pee
Minion of Satan

My twin salamanders pete & pete and i cant wait 2 wade deeper soon into our inner childrens with big daddie bill

Old 09-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #487
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Sieh dir diesen Beitrag auf Instagram an

Boo! Is it Halloween yet?

Ein Beitrag geteilt von WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) am

Old 09-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #488
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

wtf you can't dress up as yourself for halloween

Old 09-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #489
Mals Marola