Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #241
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
What would be funny if Billy called D'arcy and the two of them just started laughing about how ridiculous the whole thing has become. And now that everything is out in the open, the air is finally clear. Let bygones be bygones.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #242
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Can anyone explain this?

"...I said I'm not wanted in the studio."

"I was really upset that I couldn't come out to LA to work w/you guys"

I think it makes sense because it's all smoke and mirrors with Bill. He will keep her half-informed so she can't claim she didn't know about it or wasn't welcome, but at the same time he will be very meticulous about the timing and way he gives her that information in order to manufacture the outcome he wants with plausible deniability. If you've ever been in an ongoing abusive situation, you read her interview and you know straight away that she's telling nothing but the truth.

This is why this is so refreshing and vindicating. Honestly, I don't hate Billy - I think he's a very damaged person who has only known abuse in life, both as a victim in his childhood and as a perpetrator. He is not monster, he's not evil incarnate, and I have no desire to see him in pain in a act of useless revenge. And at no point did I feel that D'arcy was being vengeful here, that she had allowed the abuse he inflicted on her to turn her into an ugly person who revels in the destruction of others. Despite of all the heavy shit she talks about, the interview is strangely uplifting because it sets things straight; it exposes all the double talk he hides behind to hurt people, so he's rendered powerless to do so again.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #243
Radiofred
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
zerozed1 WHAT PROFITS A WOMAN IF SHE GAINS NOTHING AND STILL LOSES HER SOUL? #smashingpumpkins

2 hours ago
I seen the photo and to post that along with it is truly disgusting and disturbing.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #244
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

1. Has not played music of any description in a public capacity for 20 years (let that sink in)
2. Mental breakdown, panic attacks, by own admission (from pressures of being in this band touring).
3. Struggles with substance abuse over a number of years. Tried to kill herself.
4. Has been arrested, caught drunk driving, jail.
5. Says it’s a lie she has been invited, or that billy wants her on tours then literally talks about invitations (posts proof)
6. Never friends / enjoyed friendship
7. Identifies as musician. Hasn’t played publically for 20 years. Listens to radio, doesn’t recognise her own music.
8. Is literally physically unable to play bass, whilst band is working on most recent demos
9. Casual racism.

Despite this feels it is unreasonable under these circumstances for Billy / the rest of the band not to invite her carte blanche to be full time touring bassist.
Then Billy literally offers a chance to be involved in the tour in whatever capacity she want’s from just 1 song to 7 songs. Offers her own bus. Doesn’t have to play ever gig if she doesn’t want to. Doesn’t have to sing even. This doesn’t sound like the band trying to push her away, they’re just saying they don’t think it’s in the best interest of anyone to be invited back in as a full time member right at that second…

For me at least Billy looks like he’s made a very sensible decision here.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #245
vajohna
Ownz

“Everyone said he changed since he had a kid, and he can be very charming, and fun. He’s fun to talk to; I enjoy mental sparring with him. I just was so out of that world for the longest time, I wasn’t aware of a lot of the crazy stuff, like he supports Trump. What? The shapeshifting thing, I honestly think he may have a brain tumor.”

God damn that’s a fucking quote.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #246
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
1. Has not played music of any description in a public capacity for 20 years (let that sink in)
2. Mental breakdown, panic attacks, by own admission (from pressures of being in this band touring).
3. Struggles with substance abuse over a number of years. Tried to kill herself.
5. Says it’s a lie she has been invited, or that billy wants her on tours then literally talks about invitations (posts proof)
7. Identifies as musician. Hasn’t played publically for 20 years. Listens to radio, doesn’t recognise her own music.
8. Is literally physically unable to play bass, whilst band is working on most recent demos
9. Casual racism.

Despite this feels it is unreasonable under these circumstances for Billy / the rest of the band not to invite her carte blanche to be full time touring bassist.
Then Billy literally offers a chance to be involved in the tour in whatever capacity she want’s from just 1 song to 7 songs. Offers her own bus. Doesn’t have to play ever gig if she doesn’t want to. Doesn’t have to sing even. This doesn’t sound like the band trying to push her away, they’re just saying they don’t think it’s in the best interest of anyone to be invited back in as a full time member right at that second…

You ignore that Billy couldn't even be bothered to meet her during the last two years.
If I was Billy and thought about a reunion, I'd want to meet D'Arcy to reconnect and to see if she's still able to play bass like she used to. It would be essential.

D'Arcy:

"He would never invite me, but he told me that it didn’t happen. He said that I was invited to do all of this stuff, and that I said later, later, later. There was only one thing that was later, later, later, that I had invited him to come out to my farm. He never invited me to his house ever to meet his girlfriend or his son, nothing."

Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #247
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
9. Casual racism.
I don't think that's particularly fair. Lots of fans raised an eyebrow that he'd picked another female bassist and Asian male guitarist for the Zeitgeist era.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #248
Whir34
Pledge

I just think D'arcy wasn't fit enough to play in the band - either musically, physically or mentally.

Corgan came to realise this and so he pushed her out (with a rather indirect and probably not the best approach) and now D'Arcy is angry as she didn't agree with his assessment or she thought that she would be ready in a few months but they didn't want to wait.

I don't think Billy is the only culprit in all of this. We have only heard D'Arcy's side on this. I think this is just her way of getting revenge and much of it seems exaggerated.

I do feel sorry for her though that she isn't going to be able to be a part of this but I'm still interested in the 3/4 reunion. It's bass. Any good bass player will do, If Corgan writes new music and Jimmy is on the drums that is enough for me. I do like Iha's playing style too so happy he is on board.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #249
Whir34
Pledge

Quote:
9. Casual racism.

Absolutely agree with this. Said it much better then I did. There are lots of flaws and contradictions in the interview and it just seems like rambling, throwing her toys out the pram. I am sorry for her that she isn't fit enough to be a part of it but it hasn't affected my interest in the reunion. D'Arcy has just shown by this interview that she is unstable and Corgan was right to leave her out instead of jeopardising her well being and sanity which has taken her a while to recover. I think he has left her out so as not to risk her mental or physical health.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #250
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I just think D'arcy wasn't fit enough to play in the band - either musically, physically or mentally.
How the fuck would Billy know? He couldn't even be bothered to meet her.

How would he know through text messages (their main way of communication apparently) how she's doing musically, physically and mentally?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #251
Whir34
Pledge

Quote:

How would he know through text messages (their main way of communication apparently) how she's doing musically, physically and mentally?
Physically - she told him about the shoulder injury.

Musically - he just didn't trust her ability to play or tour after 18 years of not playing or being involved in the music industry.

Mentally - her historical track record (she admits she had a panic disorder) and he may have heard things about her since.

Yeah sure you are right though in a way - I am speculating just like you lot are but I am not going to ditch my interest in the band because of a one sided very bitter sounding, contradictory, angry interview.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #252
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

"Where you at dumbass?"

Old 02-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #253
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Physically - she told him about the shoulder injury.

Musically - he just didn't trust her ability to play or tour after 18 years of not playing or being involved in the music industry.

Mentally - her historical track record (she admits she had a panic disorder) and he may have heard things about her since.
A shoulder injury is temporary and may not impede playing.

She brought more to the band than bass, and in any case it doesn’t seem like something she couldn't pick up again. You’d at least meet and hear her out.

Panic disorders are not fun, but you don’t cast people aside because they’re having anxiety attacks. You don’t help them heal by provoking more anxiety. Not saying that’s what Bill did, but it clearly wasn’t environment where her mental health was a concern or priority.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #254
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
"Where you at dumbass?"
Lol

Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #255
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I am speculating
Exactly. That's my point.

Billy was also speculating and was never really interested to give her a chance.

If he actually met her a couple of times to see for himself he could have jammed with her and he would have been able to see how she's doing physically and mentally.

Who knows...maybe she would have been able to show him that she still plays like she used to and that she's capable of a full reunion.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #256
vajohna
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
That's 100% Corgan, who else writes like that. Pathetic
You know it’s Corgan because it’s almost a direct lift of Mark 8:36

Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #257
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Exactly. That's my point.

Billy was also speculating and was never really interested to give her a chance.

If he actually met her a couple of times to see for himself he could have jammed with her and he would have been able to see how she's doing physically and mentally.

Who knows...maybe she would have been able to show him that she still plays like she used to and that she's capable of a full reunion.
Yeah would have been cool.from the texts though at least billy seemed open to something happening at some point if it wasn't exactly that moment. Anyway. It's a real shame. But, clearly this sort of outburst means, I suspect, that this is much less likely to happen now... disapointing.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #258
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
9. Casual racism.

Alternatively:

- Bill is broke and/or craves validation, so he feels the need not only to book an arena tour, but also to paint it as a reunion (or else no one will show up).

- D'arcy actually wants a reunion on her terms, not only Billy's, but he's not having it. Whether he's justified in worrying about her capacity to play is irrelevant. He's not approaching her as you would approach a real person with real wants and needs. He needs something out of her (token participation - or at least her blessing - to draw the fans in), and he will do anything to rope her into it.

- She calls out his manipulation and disregard for her as an autonomous human being, she goes into detail about his history of abuse, and this is honestly what you choose to focus on? Bill's precious little tour? In the late 90s, D'arcy didn't have a mental breakdown and panic attacks "from pressures of being in this band touring". Don't normalize this shit. Withstanding abuse is not a part of the job. It's really rich for Bill to exclude her due to "concerns about her mental health" when HE was the cause of her poor mental health in the first place, and it's clear that he hasn't changed.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #259
vajohna
Ownz

Currently the top story on Pitchfork

Old 02-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #260
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Regardless of who has been the biggest dick - blathering to the press (as we have oft critised billy for doing) is not going to make the situation any better. For anyone.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #261
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

So what happens now? Business as usual for the Pumpkins, and the "big reveal" tomorrow?

Another response / statement? Or have they made their point already?

Something personal from Billy?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #262
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
I am not going to ditch my interest in the band because of a one sided very bitter sounding, contradictory, angry interview.
is this the first thing you read on how Billy Corgan treats people since the early nineties or something?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #263
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Regardless of who has been the biggest dick - blathering to the press (as we have oft critised billy for doing) is not going to make the situation any better. For anyone.
mission accomplished for darcy.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #264
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
at least billy seemed open to something happening at some point if it wasn't exactly that moment.
It's pretty clear what happened:

" ‘Well, maybe you know, and maybe you don’t, but with this wrestling thing I kind of got myself a bit into a bit of a hole.’ That was one of the first things he said to me, it was like the second conversation we had"

He lost a lot of money with his wrestling investments.

The idea of a full reunion was tempting but businessman Billy didn't want to risk too much after losing all that money. He played with Jack 'The Bore' Bates in 2015 so Billy knew he wouldn't be any trouble on a "reunion" tour.

Billy's plan of somehow involving D'Arcy as a non-equal member/guest didn't work out though.

He thought:

Jack Bates = no trouble

D'Arcy (guest) = more ticket sales

Billy wanted money first (2018 "reunion" tour) and probably a full reunion later (if D'Arcy had accepted all of his conditions and proved to him as a guest that she's capable).

Old 02-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #265
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Alternatively:

- Bill is broke and/or craves validation, so he feels the need not only to book an arena tour, but also to paint it as a reunion (or else no one will show up).

- D'arcy actually wants a reunion on her terms, not only Billy's, but he's not having it. Whether he's justified in worrying about her capacity to play is irrelevant. He's not approaching her as you would approach a real person with real wants and needs. He needs something out of her (token participation - or at least her blessing - to draw the fans in), and he will do anything to rope her into it.

- She calls out his manipulation and disregard for her as an autonomous human being, she goes into detail about his history of abuse, and this is honestly what you choose to focus on? Bill's precious little tour? In the late 90s, D'arcy didn't have a mental breakdown and panic attacks "from pressures of being in this band touring". Don't normalize this shit. Withstanding abuse is not a part of the job. It's really rich for Bill to exclude her due to "concerns about her mental health" when HE was the cause of her poor mental health in the first place, and it's clear that he hasn't changed.
yet, she can't answer why would James be there for Billy.

It sounds more like she was trying to make things difficult to the point they would naturally push her out without a property reply from her.

"I'm with my mom, I don't want to be rude to her". What?

I also understand this reunion tour was going to happen regardless. Billy wants to be relevant once again, James is here... Jimmy is in... I understand her frustration, on the other hand she had the opportunity to meet them and prove she was fit and able to play with the band again.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #266
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
"I'm with my mom, I don't want to be rude to her". What?
I took that to mean "I can't keep texting or reading my phone as I'm with my (presumably elderly) mom so I'll talk to you later".

If Billy wants to compete and do Foo Fighters-level gigs, then he needs to do what the Foos did and release the same album every two years, that sound exactly like they always sounded.

The Foos aren't a nostalgia act and the reason why is because they have a big enough fanbase who like that bland hard rock thing. So if they keep it up, they'll keep their fanbase. The Pumpkins were always a little more "niche" but they broke through in an unexpected way but couldn't / didn't want to sustain it by making the same album every time.

So to conclude, the Pumpkins probably aren't going to be doing Foo-style numbers unless they make SD and MCIS every two years, and even then, those albums were successful in their time but may not be successful now.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #267
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

"Nearly forgot to say.... happy fucking Valentines day!"

Old 02-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #268
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I took that to mean "I can't keep texting or reading my phone as I'm with my (presumably elderly) mom so I'll talk to you later".

If Billy wants to compete and do Foo Fighters-level gigs, then he needs to do what the Foos did and release the same album every two years, that sound exactly like they always sounded.

The Foos aren't a nostalgia act and the reason why is because they have a big enough fanbase who like that bland hard rock thing. So if they keep it up, they'll keep their fanbase. The Pumpkins were always a little more "niche" but they broke through in an unexpected way but couldn't / didn't want to sustain it by making the same album every time.

So to conclude, the Pumpkins probably aren't going to be doing Foo-style numbers unless they make SD and MCIS every two years, and even then, those albums were successful in their time but may not be successful now.
I think that's how the new single will sound like. SDish... in Billy's mind, if things go well with single + tour, he will be able to get Jimmy and James Rio record a full album with the pumpkins.

Jimmy recently said he thinks they made a mistake with Zeitgeist, that they should've toured before recording an album. He probably wants to do that this time.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #269
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Guitars might sound SDish.

Drums might sound SDish.

But unless Billy changes his singing style (the same style he's used since 2003), it's not gonna sound SDish.

We might know tomorrow. The tour announcement and new single might be the big reveal.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #270
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

EDIT

Last edited by Funbags : 02-14-2018 at 09:22 AM.