THE PARABLE now complete listenable on SPOTIFY;
for free if registered, then in MP3 quality:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5fZlvkk5TOttZBF97puMz4

LIFE BEGINS AGAIN:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1NxPtNhez8NKmPkwyTLwUT

Old 12-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #63
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Another picture from the release gig at the restaurant in Chicago.

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 01-05-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #64
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Record companies have never been the friends of the musicians

Former Smashing Pumpkins star Jimmy Chamberlin explains how technologies are changing the music business and what he advises artists today.

Interview by Oliver Voss, published at the German business magazine “Der Tagesspiegel”, 2017/05/08

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/wirtschaf.../19767146.html

English translation:

Mr. Chamberlin, you have just sold almost all your instruments. Is this the final goodbye to the music or did you need the money?

No, I wanted to get rid of that stuff, because I do not use it anyway. I have a drum kit that I play regularly. The others stood in a huge room and had been packed in boxes for years. Now we move to a new house and my wife said the stuff is not coming. But I also have no sentimental relationship to the instruments and always thought someone else should play them.

And do you invest the proceeds of sale in technology start-ups?

No, for my children's private school.

You were also active as an investor?

Yes, when it started in Chicago a few years ago as well. But I try not to build a big portfolio. It's too hard to manage and I do not have time to constantly look at and compare metrics. For technology companies, I now work mainly as a consultant.

What can you recommend as a successful Rockstar manager and company?

Mostly it's about strategic issues or about accelerating processes. Most of all, I have a good network and I can bring different people together. After three and a half years as head of the technology company LiveOne, where we developed advertising technologies, I have many contacts with publishers, media and in the advertising business.

The best way to know the music business, which runs more and more on the streaming platforms. Many musicians complain, however, the low remuneration. What is your position?

Streaming is a huge opportunity for musicians. Once the radio stations used to play a song, they paid you once. Even if 100 000 people heard the song. Today you are paid 100,000 times. Of course, there are smaller amounts, but the market saturation is only ten percent.

Nevertheless, well-known musicians have removed their albums from the platforms again.

Some have withdrawn their music and then released it again. One can only conclude that the calculation has not worked out. And you have to remember that ten years ago in negotiations, no one thought of streaming. But bands starting now know how to negotiate good deals and how to secure a good percentage of the streaming revenue.

How much do you get from Spotify?

I can not say for sure, but they are significant sums. The Pumpkins have 3.9 million monthly listeners on Spotify. And we are also at Apple Music, Deezer and the others.

Will a supplier dominate the market, and how many platforms are likely to survive?

I do not think Apple Music disappears. And Spotify as well. The rest will be shown. But the market is big enough.

Although user numbers and revenues are on the increase, Spotify is also making increasing losses. Is the business model even going on?

The users have already decided. The market is there and established, the record companies will not throw it away again. Now it's up to Spotify and the labels to negotiate the financial details and see where the sticking points are. There is no transparency for outsiders. While I see the money from Spotify and have insight into the record deal, I still do not know where the fraud is.

A strategy of stars is to take money for exclusive agreements with individual streaming providers. Is the time when you could hear almost all the songs in the world over again?

If someone gets money for an exclusive deal and does not sabotage their career, they will continue to do so. If someone does it and people do not hear the music anymore, he will let it. The platforms have developed a mechanism of disruption, and listeners are now deciding on further development. So far, there has only been Jay Z, Taylor Swift, and a handful of cases where musicians have withdrawn albums or placed them exclusively on other platforms. There is no reliable data. But in three years we will have them and know more. And anyway, it's the data that makes the model so interesting.

What do you mean?

On the one hand, this makes the music experience better and better. I was a beta tester at Spotify when the company had three employees. At that time I was offered songs that I would never hear. Now it's getting better and better and I often hear the offered playlists. On the other hand, they give a deep insight into user behavior and show what people really want. So you can try a lot and see how the users react.

One approach of the label is to no longer offer new albums for free, but only to paying users. Is this the right way?

You can not answer that blanket. It all depends on whether a musician lives off the record sales or sees the music as a business card for live performances. I know singers who do not want to go on tour. Should we tell them that there is no market because they have to give away their music? Every artist should have the right to market themselves in the way that suits him best.

But is not the trend anyway that musicians earn the greater part of their revenue through live performances?

Yes that's true. But you can not say either way it's fair, because it was never fair. The record companies have never been the friends of the musicians.

What do you advise young musicians?

If you are convinced that you are a good artist, you should write songs of such quality that people will get them, no matter how the distribution route. Kids often ask me about their social media strategy and nonsense that today is related to being an artist. My answer is always the same: if you do great art, the rest comes on its own.

For musicians, YouTube is as important today as MTV is in the nineties. What role will music videos play in the future?

MTV has made music videos an indispensable part of marketing. This is no longer the case today. We spent $ 1.1 million on the "Tonight, tonight" video, which was justifiable at the time, with sales of record sales and tour sales of one million a rounding error, visual components will always be part of the music, but I do not know in what form.

Maybe as virtual reality? With glasses and headphones you can get a concert experience in the living room.

No, that's more of a niche, like quadraphonic or 180 gram records. It will also be a while before Virtual Reality can create the emotional connections that music already has. I also do not know if the technology can do it at all or only pretend emotions.

For the ex-chief of a technology company you sound quite technology-critical.

There are people like Neil Young's manager Elliot Roberts and others from the old guard who say HDTVs were the worst thing that ever happened to rock 'n' roll. You see too much of the faces and much is too perfect. I also think that takes away some of the secrets. In the past the bands were behind smoke, with HD the curtain was pulled away.

Are you glad that there was no social media, or would you like to get in touch with the fans on Facebook and Twitter?

We would never have made our album "Mellon Collie" if we had smartphones back then. We started at noon and often stopped at midnight. We did not have a TV, just a ping pong table and a basketball hoop. If everyone keeps typing on their phone, you can not concentrate. We forget how much time we had before there were smartphones.

Will you play Pumpkins concerts again?

Yes, we will definitely play again. Probably not this year, but early next year. And we also talk about recording new music again.

Jimmy Chamberlin became known as the drummer of Smashing Pumpkins. The alternative rockers from Chicago were among the most successful bands of the 1990s. They have sold more than 30 million albums worldwide. In 2000, the band announced its dissolution, in 2007 there was a reunion. Chamberlin played in other groups in between and made music as Jimmy Chamberlin Complex.
He is the co-founder of the consulting firm Blue J Strategies, which works for companies such as Coca-Cola, Facebook or Universal Music. Prior to that, he spent more than three years managing the company LiveOne, which developed technology to incorporate social media commentary into concert live broadcasts.

http://img.kaloo.ga/thumb?url=http%3...l&size=924x520

Old 12-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #65
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

they spent a million bucks on the tonight tonight video?!

Old 12-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #66
T&T
Socialphobic

jimmy being a ceo of a tech company always just seems like a joke/front.
who's all these "I know people and bring them together" consulting bs he goes on about? hippie shaman?

nice interview.
and yes, TT was a seven figure production.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #67
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlitchford View Post
I went to buy the CD from the Make website and shipping to Virginia was $9.54 for a $10 item. I'll wait for it to show up somewhere reasonable, but if you like his work I do hope you shell out a few dollars to encourage his work.

Edit: It is available on Amazon but doesn't ship until January.

Edit2: Fuck it, I just overspent on shipping.
For the record, I'm happy to have supported Jimmy but I'm not thrilled with the purchase. It isn't a bad album by any means, but it is very standard jazz fair. If you're not a fan of traditional jazz, this won't make you one. I enjoyed Paranoid and loved the first JCC album, but this album was a once-and-done listen for me.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #68
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Jazz fair

Old 01-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #69
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

something about watching aging rockstars talking about "market saturation" and "business model" and the amount of listeners the Pumpkins have on Spotify (in millions) just really rubs me the wrong fucking way

Old 01-03-2018, 03:06 AM   #70
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

don't know if it rubs me the wrong way, but it is a little surprising since Jimmy always seemed like the "pure musician" of the BC/JC partnership from Machina onward

at least the market research mentality doesn't seem to spill overtly into his records

Old 01-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #71
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Posted from JIMMY at the airport before his flight to L.A.

No tour dates of the JIMMY CHAMBERLIN COMPLEX yet.

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 01-04-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #72
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

As JIMMY is busy recording in L.A. it's no wonder that he's also giving a concert with the COMPLEX in February in this town:

Come on out and see the complex ! @jimmychamberlincomplex

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Jimmy Chamberlin (@chamberdrums) am

Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 AM   #73
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Nowadays you sell CD's from a comic book store...
Getting shipped today.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 AM   #74
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Some signed records

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/vp...97291264_n.jpg

Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #75
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

they personalised them? wow.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:16 AM   #76
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

https://www.newburycomics.com/produc...t=786091278348

JIMMY CHAMBERLIN COMPLEX
The Parable

With Autographed CD Jacket

$15.99
Limited to: 5 Per Customer

DESCRIPTION
Purchase includes CD jacket signed by Jimmy Chamberlin.

Nothing quite prepares you for the surprise of being granted a wish you don't remember making. Consider the grebe.

Stumble upon a freshwater lake in spring and you might catch the ritualistic mating dance of two swanlike birds engaged in a courtship of responsive mimicry that begins with the tenderness of curled flirtatious necks and ends with an exultant dance upon the surface of water. It transcends the language we have as humans to describe it. You have to see it to believe it. If you had known about it beforehand, you would have stood lakeside and wished for it. Yet, somewhere, out in the wild, the wish you never made has already been granted.

Such is the case with The Parable, the second full-length release from the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex. Recorded in a single session, on a Wednesday this past June, at the historic Sunset Sound studio in Los Angeles, a wish was granted while the rest of us were busy tending to the tiny details of our daily lives.

Like unobserved nature, the Complex went about the important business of filling that silent studio room without quite disturbing it. The surprise of their own music-making is less like five individuals scribbling down plans and executing them with rehearsed precision and more like the kind of swan-courtship described above. We're hearing it for the first time. And so are they.

"What you hear on the record is literally the first or second attempt at playing these compositions in the room," says drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. "We just got into a room, sketched out the tunes, maybe jotted down an arrangement or two. Then, we were off to the races. We didn't want to get into forcing it too much. We wanted it to evolve in its own footprint. It freaks people out, but for me, I'm a big believer -- not in an irresponsible way -- in the idea of just letting things happen."

"It's about sharing the experience, as it happens, together," echoes Billy Mohler, bassist and producer. "This was the warmest, most inviting session. It was about holding up someone's strengths and figuring out how to strengthen a group from inside of it. You don't even think about it. You just get with the right people and it's about how we can make the best music together. It's a band. It's not a project."

These sentiments of humility drop away and the full force of a revelation hits along with the first strike of the snare drum on opener "Horus and the Pharaoh." There's something spider-like and ghostly about the guitar performance of Sean Woolstenhulme -- the very first sound you hear on The Parable -- whom both Mohler and Chamberlin give credit for the courage of joining this quintet in the first place.

The undeniable humanness of The Parable is on display with every note played -- a comfort itself in a world increasingly barreling toward the synthetic and digitized -- but it's that sound of standup bass, the strings and the wood and the hand that crawls across the fingerboard. That's what's real. That's the lesson. If a parable is meant to leave us with something useful, it's just that -- in 2017, you can call it jazz music, but it's really just the act of living translated into melody.

"There was very little talking," says Chamberlin about the session. "Words weren't necessary, because the conversation that was going on was so much deeper than anything you could say."

Consider The Parable. Your wish has been granted in advance.

ITEM DETAILS
Number of discs: 1
Label: Make
Mono/Stereo: Stereo
Catalog Number: MAKE004CD
TRACK LISTING
Horus And The Pharaoh
The Parable
Thoughts Of Days Long Past
El Born
Magick Moon
Dance Of The Grebe

Old 01-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #77
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

regardless of how much i am or am not into pure instrumental jazz, hearing Jimmy studio recording drums is always a treat

Old 01-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #78
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

First leaked PARABLE song on YouTube

Free fan greeting

Norwegian wood

Full concert at PUKKELPOP 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #79
Andy /

Quote:
Writing to update you on the limited edition yellow vinyl that you ordered. We have found that our emails are landing in junk mail folders, so you might not have gotten any updates from us yet.

After months of problems at the pressing plant, and several re-pressings with problematic yellow vinyl that delayed the delivery of this record, we have decided to mitigate the issue by making a limited edition black and yellow splatter style that will be arriving at your door soon. Each copy pressed is unique and very special due to the splatter design. We received the records this week and we are shipping out orders over the next few days.

Thank you for your patience and we hope you love this record as much as we do!

-The MAKE Records Team
fyi for anyone waiting.

at the junk folder excuse for not communicating anything prior. poor form.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #80
TuralyonW3
Immortal

It’s a good album. Totally different than Life Begins Again. A straightforward electric jazz album. Great saxophone leads, in addition to the guitar, bass, keyboards and drums.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:00 AM   #81
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

It's a nice album...but it's pretty obvious what happened in my opinion.

They recorded the track Paranoia (in 2016) which was a GREAT track. It felt and sounded like the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex.

Jimmy mentioned that it was always very difficult to actually meet in the studio with everyone time-wise (they all have families and live in different cities). It also takes quite some time to write and record songs like that.

So eventually they realized that it's not happening and abandoned the direction.

The solution: just meet for one day and totally improvise a full album:

"we booked one day at Sunset Sound. Jimmy, Randy and Sean flew in for one day, so with no rehearsal, and a few sketches we went for it!"

Old 02-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #82
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

this album was not ´fully improvised´, lol

Old 02-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #83
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
fyi for anyone waiting.

at the junk folder excuse for not communicating anything prior. poor form.
i actually felt compelled to send them a "strongly worded email" just letting them know i felt that these things could have been communicated better and the junk folder felt like a cop out excuse. vinyl gets delayed all the time, so that was understandable, but the lack of updates was not. they responded saying they understood, and did note that there was an initial delay email sent out (which, to be fair, there was). and they offered to make it right. so props to them for that.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #84
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I really like this album
Prob more than Life Begins Again

But I am still waiting for the Duke Ellington meets Radiohead sound, somewhere, somehow

Old 02-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #85
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by toase View Post
I really like this album
Prob more than Life Begins Again

But I am still waiting for the Duke Ellington meets Radiohead sound, somewhere, somehow
it's not bad at all is it?

much less 'smooth' the life begins again

Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 AM   #86
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Concert snippet, February 19th, L.A.

They are doing a second concert on the 22th now in L.A.

Come on down!

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Jimmy Chamberlin (@chamberdrums) am

Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #87
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Bump.

Bump.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #88
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Dance of the Grebe (live at Blue Whale in LA) ":

Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #89
Ram27
dumb

I know nothing about jazz but it's fun watching Jimmy play anyway

Never seen anyone do rimshots on the toms before 1:18

Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #90
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
it's not bad at all is it?

much less 'smooth' the life begins again
Yes. The smooth and/or modern jazz thing can be insufferable save the drums. The rawness of straightforward jazz is way more listenable to me.