i'm a professional 2 3.57%
i have people who cook for me 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #241
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
it's really boring to cook for one person so I don't really bother to try anything interesting
this right here

Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #242
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

i never cook much for myself, except fried eggs for breakfast. i cook a lot with ******.

I've been the same weight +/-10 lb. for the last ten years

Old 05-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #243
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Living to a ripe old age and maintaining a editable quality of life at a ripe old age are two different things. In my opinion optimal human nourishment includes regular consumption of animal flesh.
that's not a matter of opinion, though. the best we can say is we have a vague picture of what 'optimal' human nourishment resembles, but it's fuzzy and not the same for everyone anyway. there is a growing consensus that vegetarian diets lead to better long term health outcomes.

for most people, therefore, the 'quality of life' factors are aesthetic/sensory rather than health-related; meat is a nutritionally-convenient source of protein, iron, vitamin b12 etc., but hardly the only option. it just tastes better than the alternatives, so people are understandably reluctant to give it up even if they feel bad about animal deaths being an unavoidable part of the process. i get that. my point was simply that a preference is not in the same category of ethical justification as survival.

(i agree with you that this is a continuum rather than a binary, but i'm defining 'survival' as something along the lines 'you get sick and die without it' or 'you have no other sources of food' – i.e., it is preference-agnostic.)

Quote:
Whether or not instransitive gratitude is misplaced, I still feel it. You claimed I couldn't feel gratitude in that instance. I disagree, I think intransitive gratitude is a fairly widespread phenomenon. It doesn't require the consent of an object because it's not directed at one. It could be part of a survival mechanism that allowed us to form and emotional connection to our environment, which motivated us to take better care of it, this enhance our chances of survival. Many subsistence/environmentally sustainable traditional cultures have thanksgiving rituals where the thanks they have for their harvest, spoils of hunt/ agriculture are given thanks for and I don't see a reason to suspect the gratitude is not real.
i never said you didn't feel it. i said the feeling was misplaced and suggested that it was potentially destructive.

to give you another example, consider the gratitude routinely expressed by political leaders for the 'sacrifices' soldiers make by dying in combat.

now, those soldiers and their families deserve respect, absolutely, but is gratitude really the right reaction? i mean, the situations in which those deaths occur arguably arise from the interaction of a multitude of inordinately complicated systems: the military-industrial complex, nation-building political narratives motivated by xenophobia and energy security, an uncritical or complicit media that regurgitates propaganda to a working class systematically kneecapped by a laissez-faire capitalist economy that increasingly accrues wealth to the wealthy, etc. etc.

i don't offer that as an analogy, just as an example of misplaced 'intransitive' gratitude. if it encourages complacency when further action would otherwise be deemed necessary, it's easy to see how it's a bad thing, right? it makes it easier to explain away problematic processes that happen to benefit us, and uncritically preserve the status quo.

Quote:
As for the non sequitur, the validity of that is tied up with the question of nutrition. If I didn't need to eat meat to maintain optimal condition I would consider giving it up because of the regret I feel. That isn't the case for me. I continue to eat meat because I think it is good for me and I am self interested - at the same time, I'm compassionate enough to feel regret about my own fairly un changeable nature.
i don't know how to read this. you're resistant to change so you'd rather not bother with self-reflection?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #244
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i think that sums it up nicely

Old 05-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #245
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

made this tonight, with steamed broccolini: http://cuisine.co.nz/cuisine.nsf/rec...in-crazy-water

you can't go wrong with a dish called "fish in crazy water" imho

Old 05-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #246
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post

gratitude for something taken without being given isn't gratitude
I read this as you saying you don't think I could be feeling gratitude of any kind, misguided or not, because gratitude requires an object.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:28 AM   #247
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
i don't know how to read this. you're resistant to change so you'd rather not bother with self-reflection?
I'm of Polynesian descent, the traditional diet includes regular intakes animal protein. Polynesians have consumed that diet for thousands of years and over that period I think it's likely that the survivors are the ones who were best adapted to it.

The wikipedia article you linked to lists a number of boutique grain products that have not been successfully commercially cultivated outside of their native environments, which is why places like Peru now grow huge amounts of a grain that was previously a staple, for export - they can barely afford to buy it, themselves. They eat imported junk. Rice is the same - the widespread cultivation of rice is a contributor to deforestation and has similar implications as it does for the Peruvians, for those who grow it as a cash crop.

Humans are mostly omnivores - and we've adapted to be omnivores because most environments it is the most sensible and sustainable diet, IMO. It doesn't make it the nicest diet, in terms of how we interact with our environment - but in terms of surviving as a group - I think it is the most sensible and sustainable diet.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #248
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
I'm of Polynesian descent, the traditional diet includes regular intakes animal protein. Polynesians have consumed that diet for thousands of years and over that period I think it's likely that the survivors are the ones who were best adapted to it.
APPEAL TO TRADITION; CITATION NEEDED

Quote:
The wikipedia article you linked to lists a number of boutique grain products that have not been successfully commercially cultivated outside of their native environments, which is why places like Peru now grow huge amounts of a grain that was previously a staple, for export - they can barely afford to buy it, themselves. They eat imported junk. Rice is the same - the widespread cultivation of rice is a contributor to deforestation and has similar implications as it does for the Peruvians, for those who grow it as a cash crop.
NON SEQUITUR

Quote:
Humans are mostly omnivores - and we've adapted to be omnivores because most environments it is the most sensible and sustainable diet, IMO. It doesn't make it the nicest diet, in terms of how we interact with our environment - but in terms of surviving as a group - I think it is the most sensible and sustainable diet.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:07 AM   #249
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

oh, that's not a constructive method of conversation? SORRY

Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #250
vixnix
Socialphobic

If we're talking about a diet that enables survival, sustainability is part of that conversation. Claiming that we don't need to eat meat to stay alive because we can rely on plains of quinoa and rice to sustain us instead, is problematic if your bottom line is survival...climate change and peak oil are both going to affect a diet dependent on protein rich crops.

There are no studies that I'm aware of - Polynesians are a small group of humans, population-wise. That, and their long period of isolation from other human cultures means that interest in their traditions and diet is limited.

The main source for Samoans that I know is An Account of Samoan History up to 1918 by Teo Tuvale.

In it he writes:

For one meal: 1 pound of baked taro, one or two breadfruit averaging three quarters of a pound in weight, half a pound of fish, 3 papasami [sic], half a pound of pork and in addition anything else that can be procured or is prepared. This is usually followed by the juice of a cocoanut [sic]. If available the above foods and amounts will be consumed twice a day as the Samoan's digestive capacity seems to be limited only by his ability to procure the food or have it procured for him. The above foods and quantities have been checked several times from personal observation and should the amount consumed at a feast be mentioned one would be liable to be put down as a liar.

There are theories that to sail from one island to another, the convoy was often out at sea for long periods of time - so natural selection favoured those who were able to eat everything that was available, when it was made available, and store it preceding a long stretch of low calorie and fluid intake.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #251
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
I read this as you saying you don't think I could be feeling gratitude of any kind, misguided or not, because gratitude requires an object.
also you didn't really address this...

Old 05-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #252
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:

NON SEQUITUR

really i should have just had this approach from the beginning.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #253
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
If we're talking about a diet that enables survival, sustainability is part of that conversation. Claiming that we don't need to eat meat to stay alive because we can rely on plains of quinoa and rice to sustain us instead, is problematic if your bottom line is survival...climate change and peak oil are both going to affect a diet dependent on protein rich crops.

not sure how meat production is sustainable when it's about 20% responsible for greenhouse gas emissions.....

Last edited by The exploding boy : 05-18-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #254
vixnix
Socialphobic

Not all meat - mainly beef from what I understand.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #255
null123
Minion of Satan

eating a vegan diet takes me to the brink of sanity, personally
and that's only fun for so long

Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #256
slunken
Virgo

Really happy with my red curry recipe as of tonight

Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #257
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
eating a vegan diet takes me to the brink of sanity, personally
and that's only fun for so long
I go out for 16oz prime rib every other Saturday , personally

Old 05-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #258
slunken
Virgo

That's my new "big splurge" lol

Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #259
hnibos
Braindead

nice

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #260
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I'm really hungry right now. Third diet day. Please somebody tell me all the things i could be eating but am not.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #261
mxzombie
Braindead

rocks, uncooked rice, dirt, metal shavings

Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #262
mxzombie
Braindead

it's a blessing we all don't have to eat such things.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #263
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i figure i'm going to die soon

Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #264
Order 66
Socialphobic

RIP in peas

Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 AM   #265
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
rocks, uncooked rice, dirt, metal shavings
mmm...uncooked rice. That sweet taste of nothing at all as it breaks all my teeth weakened by cavities. It sounds really good to me right now.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #266
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Made a smoothie this morning that contains avocado, spinach, banana, nonfat milk, cinnamon and vanilla.

It's green and tastes like a cookie. My mind is blown.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #267
kelsome
Apocalyptic Poster

I want to do smoothies, but whenever I start to get the stuff for it, I feel like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm probably just lazy and cheap.