Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
ammy
yer mom

Default Anyone cook using a pressure cooker?

we aquired one from Dan's mom a few months ago and are yet to use it. There's a defrosted turkey breast in the fridge I'm thinking to cook (leftovers = turkey pot pie? fuck yes) I have never used a pressure cooker before though, so I'm not sure how to go about things - when to put in veggies so they don't get soggy?

anyone? i know i'm down with the home-ec posting here, sorry. i'm old and a mommy, it's all there is in me anymore.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammy View Post
we aquired one from Dan's mom a few months ago and are yet to use it. There's a defrosted turkey breast in the fridge I'm thinking to cook (leftovers = turkey pot pie? fuck yes) I have never used a pressure cooker before though, so I'm not sure how to go about things - when to put in veggies so they don't get soggy?

anyone? i know i'm down with the home-ec posting here, sorry. i'm old and a mommy, it's all there is in me anymore.
With a pressure cooker you just throw everything in and seal it shut. Been a long time since I've used one put I never remember adding things in stages like with a stew. Everything cooks so fast that you don't really get that mush overcooked veggie problem.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
ammy
yer mom

but if the turkey cookes faster, and the veggies cook faster, wouldn't the veggies still be overcooked by the time the turkey is cooked, or am I overthinking it?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Mo
Immortal

So just add the veggies after a few minutes?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
carapatricia
Apocalyptic Poster

Step by Step Instructions for Using a Pressure Cooker

The ULTIMATE Pressure Cooker Cooking Time Chart

Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
ammy
yer mom

I can tell by your questionmark that you are guessing. so am i, that's why i'm hoping for experienced folk to weigh in - like rider apparently, i just don't *get* it i guess lol.

if time is sped up in the pressure cooker, evenly for all items - and if in real time the veggies will totally be overcooked before the turkey in say, a slow cooker - then in the pressure cooker, it should be the same, but FASTER, no?

oh messing with space-time is too complex!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammy View Post
but if the turkey cookes faster, and the veggies cook faster, wouldn't the veggies still be overcooked by the time the turkey is cooked, or am I overthinking it?
Over thinking it. It's one of those time issues, the pressure cooker cooks everything faster because it has ton of most extra heat. It's no the heat that over cooks the veggies it it's the time. Since you are cooking everything faster everything comes out fresher. Just try it.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
ammy
yer mom

thank you (ma'am?)

Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

what, a guy can't cook? You hussy!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
ammy
yer mom

i've never been sure of rider's sex, honestly.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
murgle
Shaz doesn't fuck around.

I think that Alton Brown does an entire Good Eats on cooking with a pressure cooker. That MIGHT've just been for making chicken stock, though. I don't remember.

I don't have a pressure cooker, only 2 slow cookers, which I've yet to use, even though I know that they work fantastically because they were my grandmother's.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
ammy
yer mom

ahh Alton... he's doing a dinner/talk at the aquarium this spring. i really want to get Dan tickets to go.. it's just like 150$ so it would be just tickets for him, how sad would that be?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
murgle
Shaz doesn't fuck around.

I would totally go if he were anywhere near my town. Now I want to go check his website and see if he's coming basically ANYWHERE in Texas.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I'd like one of these but my kitchen is so cramped as it is

Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
bardy
Immortal

is it a pressure cooker you put on the stove or a digital pressure cooker, ammy? I have a digital one and can link you to some of the cooking time charts and pressures they have.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
bardy
Immortal

I looked at a bunch of recipes and then actually read the thread to figure out your question was already answered.

I couldnt find any turkey ones.. lots of vegetables and chicken ones though. They asked you to brown the meat a bit first, then throw it in the pot with some herbs and the vegetables and then to turn it on for a period of time. So yeah, you put them all in at the same time.

Although if you were going to cook carrots by themselves in the pressure cooker, you would cook them for a shorter amount of time than you would cook the turkey solo. My pressure cooker cooks most vegetables in 2-5 minutes (this is AFTER it gets up to temperature/pressure so its really like 10)

Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
barden
Braindead

only for my peers.