Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #31
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
These two are still around?! With Palumbo and Anthony Green, respectively?

Fuck, those bands take me back, especially Glassjaw.
Glassjaw have been a favorite since high school. Picked up EYEWTKAS in the fall of 2000 and never looked back. The lyrical content on that album doesn't quite hold up, but fuck me, the intensity of it all still gets me to this day. New album is really, really good. I wasn't expecting much but they definitely nailed it. Shame it took 15 years! Worship & Tribute came out as I was entering senior year of high school...

Circa are a band I discovered later, around the Blue Sky Noise era. I've seen them live a couple of times and they are always so much fun. The new album isn't bad, but it just hasn't clicked for me the way their previous albums have. Never dug into Saosin but kinda figured it wasn't for me. I wasn't really an emo/screamo guy, I was more on the fringe with bands like Glassjaw and Jimmy Eat World and stayed away from a lot of the Warped Tour fodder.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #32
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

And yeah, both still have their OG singers, to answer your question.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #33
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

the singer for circa survive is so handsome

Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #34
ilikeplanets
Braindead

yes he is T_T

Old 12-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #35
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Glassjaw have been a favorite since high school. Picked up EYEWTKAS in the fall of 2000 and never looked back. The lyrical content on that album doesn't quite hold up, but fuck me, the intensity of it all still gets me to this day. New album is really, really good. I wasn't expecting much but they definitely nailed it. Shame it took 15 years! Worship & Tribute came out as I was entering senior year of high school...

Circa are a band I discovered later, around the Blue Sky Noise era. I've seen them live a couple of times and they are always so much fun. The new album isn't bad, but it just hasn't clicked for me the way their previous albums have. Never dug into Saosin but kinda figured it wasn't for me. I wasn't really an emo/screamo guy, I was more on the fringe with bands like Glassjaw and Jimmy Eat World and stayed away from a lot of the Warped Tour fodder.
I still listen to Worship and Tribute a couple times a year. One of my favorite albums. GJ practically never tours though

Circa I got into on Juturna but really fell in love with On Letting Go. I think it's one of the coolest album covers ever.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #36
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Didn't listen to a lot of 2017 albums.

Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
Planetarium - Planetarium
Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
Sufjan Stevens - The Greatest Gift (and also the Tonya Harding release, and the Call Me By Your Name songs)

Also enjoyed:

The National - Sleep Well Beast
St Vincent - MASSEDUCTION
Jamila Woods - HEAVN
Mogwai — Every Country's Sun
Milo - who told you to think?​?​!​!​?​!​?​!​?​!

Still need to listen to Bjork

Old 12-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #37
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
I still listen to Worship and Tribute a couple times a year. One of my favorite albums. GJ practically never tours though

Circa I got into on Juturna but really fell in love with On Letting Go. I think it's one of the coolest album covers ever.
Worship & Tribute has very steadily eclipsed EYEWTAS for me over the years. Definitely their best work.

I think On Letting Go might be my favorite Circa album, but I really enjoy all (except the new one) just about equally. I never understood the people stuck on Juturna who wanted everything to sound like Juturna.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #38
slunken
Virgo

Default top ten year end list

best albums:

sarah davachi - all my circles run
love theme - s/t
johnny jewel - windswept
endless boogie - vibe killer

best reissues:

philip lewin - am i really here all alone
f.j. mcmahon - spirit of the golden juice
gloria barnes - uptown

best comps:

seafaring strangers: private yacht
soul slabs volume 1
even a tree can shed tears: japanese folk & rock 1969-1973

Old 01-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #39
slunken
Virgo

thanks, mods, for keeping a tight reign on this end of the board.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #40
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Worship & Tribute has very steadily eclipsed EYEWTAS for me over the years. Definitely their best work.

I think On Letting Go might be my favorite Circa album, but I really enjoy all (except the new one) just about equally. I never understood the people stuck on Juturna who wanted everything to sound like Juturna.
i didn't think Juturna and On Letting Go were drastically different, On Letting Go was just kinda less angry and more sad and out there. But it's been a good 8-9 years since I've listened to either one so I could be totally off base. And know I'll have to listen to them both

Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #41
life's_a_drag
Pledge

My top 10 in no particular order -
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me
Paramore - After Laughter
Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
The Life and Times - Self-Titled
Brand New - Science Fiction
Quicksand - Interiors
Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
The Shins - Heartworms
Björk - Utopia
Goths - The Mountain Goats

Old 01-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #42
TuralyonW3
Immortal

didn't listen to any new music this yyear

Old 01-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #43
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I listened to Dear.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #44
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Twicetagram (and reissue) full album - Twice
Parallel EP - GFriend
The Red Summer EP - Red Velvet
Full Moon EP - EXID
Following EP - Hyuna
Crystyle EP - CLC
Red Diary Page 1 EP - Bolbbalgan4
The Code full album - Monsta X
7 for 7 EP - GOT7
Love Yourself: Her (LONG EP) -BTS

and so, SO many great singles but you didn't ask about those

#trash

Old 01-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #45
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Darn, didn't even know Björk had a new album out.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #46
life's_a_drag
Pledge

Quote:
Twicetagram (and reissue) full album - Twice
Parallel EP - GFriend
The Red Summer EP - Red Velvet
Full Moon EP - EXID
Following EP - Hyuna
Crystyle EP - CLC
Red Diary Page 1 EP - Bolbbalgan4
The Code full album - Monsta X
7 for 7 EP - GOT7
Love Yourself: Her (LONG EP) -BTS

and so, SO many great singles but you didn't ask about those

#trash
I'm assuming you're a massive K-pop fan? Also I'm surprised Hyuna is still doing music, usually Idols don't last long but she's been kicking ass since I think 2009.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #47
ilikeplanets
Braindead

she was in 4minute until they broke up so that helped. and in troublemaker. and triple h. and she's the girl in gangnam style. basically she's the queen. even over cl, bitches. (still love cl though). hyuna, hani, and nayeon are my ultimate female biases.

and no need to assume, i'll readily scream my love for kpop from the rooftops. so excited for the rest of loona to debut. the newest song was so goooooood and imo all 10 members are lesbians or at least bi. so too shall the last two be.

bts just killed everything this year. looking back at their debut album is hilarious now. so tiny and young.

i really wish kim sunggyu would do more, or infinite in general (even though hoya left). sunggyu and jinyoung (got7, not jyp himself) and suga are my ultimate male biases. although i love all the korean members of got7. (mark, jackson, and bambam are overrated).

and did you hear that SHINee's jonghyun killed himself? fucking awful. and poor T.O.P....it was just a little pot. And girl's generation is basically kaput now.

i could go on and on T_T

Old 01-04-2018, 12:53 AM   #48
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
didn't listen to any new music this yyear
least amount of new albums I even made it through in the past 10 years for me. so from those two dozen? albums I tried, a list gets pretty short:

Sampha - Process
Fever Ray - Plunge

Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #49
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

!. Caracara - Summer Megalith
2. Sorority Noise - You're Not As ____ As You Think
3. girlpool - Powerplant
4. Ostraca - Last
5. The World Is A Beautiful etc. etc. - Always Foreign
6. Slowdive - S/T
7. Four Tet - New Energy
8. Planning For Burial - Below The House
9. Converge - The Dusk In Us
10. Charly Bliss - Guppy
11. Do Make Say Think - Stubborn Persistent Illusions
12. Cloakroom - Time Well
13. Blanck Mass - World Eater
14. Cigarettes After Sex - S/T
15. Ulver - The Assassination Of Julius Caesar
16. John Frum - A Stirring In The Noos
17. Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
18. GY!BE - Luciferian Towers
19. Deafcult - Auras
20. Rainer Maria - S/T
21. Godflesh - Post Self
22. Converge - Jane Live
23. Oliver Houston - Whatever Works
24. Low Estate - Covert Cult Of Death
25. Diploid - Everything Went Red
26. Ex Eye - S/T
27. Big Brave - Ardor
28. Nine Inch Nails - Add Violence
29. Oxbow - Thin Black Duke
30. All Pigs Must Die - Hostage Animal
31. Less Art - Strangled Light
32. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound
33. Football, Etc. - Corner
34. Tired Minds - Loom
35. Nick Hakim - Green Twins
36. The Black Angels - Death Song
37. Full Of Hell - Trumpeting Ecstasy
38. Solstafir - Berdreminn
39. Wear Your Wound - WYW
40. Lorde - Melodrama
41. Artificial Brain - Infared Horizon
42. Dalek - Endangered Philosophies
43. Burial - Subtemple/Beachfires
44. Alvvays - Antisocialites
45. The Black Dahlia Murder - Nighbringers
46. Swordfish - Rodia
47. Diet Cig - Swear I'm Good At This
48. Balam Acab - Club Water Discus
49. Mutoid Man - War Moans
50. Sampha - Process

Forgot to add to the list but also damn good: Tchornobog and Taylor Swift

Old 01-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #50
life's_a_drag
Pledge

Quote:
she was in 4minute until they broke up so that helped. and in troublemaker. and triple h. and she's the girl in gangnam style. basically she's the queen. even over cl, bitches. (still love cl though). hyuna, hani, and nayeon are my ultimate female biases.

and no need to assume, i'll readily scream my love for kpop from the rooftops. so excited for the rest of loona to debut. the newest song was so goooooood and imo all 10 members are lesbians or at least bi. so too shall the last two be.

bts just killed everything this year. looking back at their debut album is hilarious now. so tiny and young.

i really wish kim sunggyu would do more, or infinite in general (even though hoya left). sunggyu and jinyoung (got7, not jyp himself) and suga are my ultimate male biases. although i love all the korean members of got7. (mark, jackson, and bambam are overrated).

and did you hear that SHINee's jonghyun killed himself? fucking awful. and poor T.O.P....it was just a little pot. And girl's generation is basically kaput now.

i could go on and on T_T
I almost forgot about 4minute, but all in all she's definitely one of the best in the industry, and takes the Cake for my top female bias. Amber from f(x) and Anda are also favorites. That's also awesome you like this stuff, haven't met many fans mainly because I've avoided it. Too many toxic fanbases and what not. BTS also have honestly been doing great, especially these past two years, with billboard, wings and love yourself. Infinite is also definitely one of my all time favorites followed by beast and seventeen. Would really appreciate it if they did more, feels like forever since they last released something, even though it's only been a year. Got7 I listened to for a while but just never got into them, been needing to check back at them though, it's been quite awhile. As for the SHINee thing that really did suck, but at the same time I guess it was necessary. Those talent agencies have some fucked up behind the scenes stuff going on, and hopefully this'll help change things.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #51
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I hate f(x) but like Amber. And Beast is just Highlight now, minus one member. They sound pretty good. All the 2nd generation bands are dying, so I wouldn't expect much Can't get into Seventeen, they're too young for me.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #52
ilikeplanets
Braindead

And fandom wars are stupid. It's mostly BTS vs EXO and Twice vs Blackpink vs Red Velvet vs GFriend. And I like all of the above so multifandom is the way to go.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #53
life's_a_drag
Pledge

Can listen to much early f(x) but I like a lot of the newer stuff they're coming out with, Amber's solo stuff is what I really gravitate towards though. Wonder Girls and Sistar are probably the best female groups for me, although Red Velvet and Gfriend do look promising. The latest generation groups are pretty good, so I guess that sort of makes up for the death of a lot of the 2nd gen. Sucks because most of my favorites are from that era, but I mean it's slowly balanced out over time. The BTS and EXO fan wars are also definitely the worst, even though they're both pretty equally talented, but I guess they both have larger fanbases and became inevitable.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #54
ilikeplanets
Braindead

BTS is solidly becoming more popular than EXO globally and EXO diehards can't take it. You do know both Sistar and Wondergirls are broken up, right? But Hyolyn and Soyou do a lot of solo work and obviously so does Sunmi. Gashina kicked ASS and tbh I like her solo stuff better, more sexy and less kitschy. Red Velvet is my favorite SM girl group right now, considering f(x) hasn't made music in a while (plus opposite of you I only liked their early stuff when Sulli was still in the group), and SNSD is down to 5 members of the original 9 so it's not even close to the same. GFriend is a bit cutesy for me but they aren't too over the top with it, more innocent than "oppa! i have aegyo! chuuuuu!" Still most excited for Loona this year, plus a TON of underrated groups. I'm more of a girl group fan but some of the guys are really bringing it. A lot of 'em are just too young to find attractive for me (I'm almost 28) so even if they are talented I feel like I'm watching children. Need more Heechul.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #55
life's_a_drag
Pledge

Yeah, but I still can't get over how good they we're. Also sucks that they both broke up just this past year, but I guess they both had a fairly long run. As for the new solo stuff Hyolyn's 2013 album I liked a lot, and I definitely have been loving Sunmi's work aswell, she's doing awesome. Red Velvet also takes the cake for me with active SNSD groups. Loona I saw with heartbreak and I liked the song, so I'll probably follow them for a little while. Initially I got into the whole genre with guy groups, but overtime I've definitely seen less of them and wayyy more female groups. Not really because of their looks or anything, I just honestly don't like the sound as much, although that's not to say they aren't good. I also agree BTS is also far more popular than EXO nowadays, especially here in the west. EXO had quite a long reign of popularity, so I don't see much of the problem, but I guess as you said a lot of the diehard fans are clinging onto them.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #56
ilikeplanets
Braindead

the guy groups tend to have better choreography and the girl groups have better songs

Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #57
ilikeplanets
Braindead

also I'm ashamed neither of us mentioned Mamamoo (who dropped a new track today). Decalcomanie was one of the sexiest vids of that year without being slutty (ie my beloved Hyuna or EXID lol) and they can really really sing. Blackpink is awful talented too but I hate the way YG groups are handled.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #58
slunken
Virgo

I think i probably spent the majority of the past 2 years picking up reissues of older albums i could never find clean or existent copies of.

I probably wore out new pressings of morphines "cure for pain", neil young's "tonights the night", and velvet underground's "loaded"

Old 01-06-2018, 01:09 AM   #59
ilikeplanets
Braindead

life's a drag, did you see this??

i am so pumped. i flutter just hearing/seeing sunggyu. and 우리 막내 sung jong is getting a solo track. bout fucking time!!! i've spun sunggyu's two solo albums plus infinite's discography a ton recently, so I'm more than ready for some new

Last edited by ilikeplanets : 01-06-2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: more to say

Old 01-06-2018, 02:31 AM   #60
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
, neil young's "tonights the night", and velvet underground's "loaded"
dude, niel's clines guitar solo on "speakin out"

and loaded's "IT'S THE BEGINNING... OF THE NEW AGE...."