Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Shouls Billy have ever reformed the Pumpkins after the break-up in 200?
No, he shouldn't have. 26 60.47%
Yes, he should have. 13 30.23%
Don't know/doesn't concern me. 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
No.

Zwan was more SP than post-2000 SP. Shoulda just kept that going. You can't really reform a band properly with only 1/2 the original members, revisionist history aside
Nice way to put it. I voted no, of course.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #32
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

I enjoyed the post-reunion shows with Jimmy. That's about it. But for me, I am very glad I got the chance to see those two live again, playing SP songs, because I didn't get to see SP1 much.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
I enjoyed the post-reunion shows with Jimmy. That's about it. But for me, I am very glad I got the chance to see those two live again, playing SP songs, because I didn't get to see SP1 much.
I agree with this. I was 10 when sp1 ended so it was cool to see them rock out on siva together

Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #34
Ram27
dumb

I was 4.

I never even got to see SP with Mike Burns

Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #35
werideatdusk
Ownz

I have to reiterate that what the band was doing in 07 and 08 live seemed really fresh and in the spirit of the progressive side of SP. It really seems obvious that it was Jimmy who was pushing the band in a more experimental direction at that time... we havent had anything remotely like SuperChrist, Gossamer, March Hare, or Set the Controls since... some fans would say thats a good thing, but i loved those spacey long jams.

I think Oceania is a really good album that can wear the SP name with some dignity even if it's somewhat false to call it that. (It seems like "Adore" is not much of a "Smashing Pumpkins" album either)

And as a live unit, I think the 2010-13 lineup was really good with recapturing some of the lighter modes of the 91-94 SP... this is why the 2011 tour was such a beautiful one, for those of us who could see it live. It really felt like some of the spirit of the old band was captured in those shows. They were more nostalgic and backwards looking, but I'll always enjoy my memories of the 2011 shows, especially at the Riv in Chicago.

That said, I thought the 2012-13 Oceania tour was somewhat disastrous. Splitting off the new and old material into separate sets only made them feel more different and made the second half really stick out as a karaoke or cover band kind of feel.

I was also fortunate enough to be at Billy's show at Ravinia, which was thoroughly enjoyable and made me want him to hang up the SP name and just do his thing.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #36
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

The 2007 show I saw at the orange peel was the best SP show I've ever seen... and I saw them each year in 96-2000. Then again I might have seen the best show during that entire residency (6/27) and I also had a lot invested in it since I drove 2000 miles to see it. It was an amazing show. SP2 is worth it just for that. But since 2007 I have not really enjoyed the new stuff much, and the show I saw in 2008 was middling at best. Oceania has a few moments and a couple songs like Owata and Lightning Strikes have some good parts.