Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #31
D.
Consume my pants.

The new one is definitely a grower. Not sure they'll gain any new fans but crazier things have happened.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #32
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

i have this weird thing where i cant enjoy a band if i see them live and they arent good

its like i cant suspend my disbelief when listening to the record version

Old 10-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #33
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

chvrches dont really seem like a good live band no. You can tell she worked on having a stage presence in the last few years but its still unconvincing. She's clearly not that comfortable on a stage and then the two guys are behind keyboards so.... Don't really give a fuck though. I don't see bands live anyway so how shitty or good they are live has zero bearing on my appreciation of a band. I men even if i did, i kinda don't get it, surely anyone will be listening to the records of a band a lot more often than they could ever see them live? at worst its disappointing if a band sucks live but not a deal breaker.

But yeah the latest, gave it more listens, the first 5 songs are ok/good, the rest is mediocre. but even the better ones don't come close to the good ones on TBOWYB. also it's clear by one or two songs they attempted to be even more radio friendly than before. I'm dubious they have more than one great record in them. Its kinda hard though to have such a great debut album and then follow it up with equal/better.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #34
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
It was a well constructed and interesting burn, I appreciated it for that
if you knew the music you'd realise it was a comment of someone who didn't know shit about synthpop though (unless like they later claimed they were trolling). These aren't cheap sounding synth tunes. Also, at least on the first record, most of the synths they used weren't vintage, they were modern and pretty expensive too. So the 80's casio comment is just ridiculous. Now if one thinks synth sucks, that's their right, but don't come and pretend you know what the shit you're on about then.

(also technically it not HER music, it's the guys music. It's her vocals and lyrics)

Old 10-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #35
Vriska Serket
Pledge

Just because the synths are new doesn't mean its not 80s worship

I mean, I love the 80s. But it's still 80s worship.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #36
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

it's 80's inspired sure but to me these synths are 80's. They sound pretty modern. Point to a 80's synth band that sounds specifically like this (you'd have a bit more chance with 90's actually). I think people just hear synths and they're like, well it reminds me of 80's cause synths..... well yeah, it's like when i hear a bluesy rock riff i think 70's. There's a lot of shit on there they weren't doing with synths in the 80s...

Also, it's all about past eras worship right now anyway. There is nothing left do be done with rock music (wide encompassing usage of the term) other than going in never ending circles.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 10-23-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: missed opportunity for pun

Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #37
Vriska Serket
Pledge

" There is nothing left do be done with rock music (wide encompassing usage of the term) other than going in never ending circles."

What a frightening and narrow opinion, especially if you're going to consider Chvrches rock music

They sound a lot like New Order, also.

You have to believe that if New Order formed 3 years ago they'd be making this exact music.

It's not a criticism so much as an observation.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #38
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Red face

new order? I'm a fan of NO but that kinda proves what i'm saying. Like no i wont claim i don't see any influences whatsoever here and there, but they do not sound specifically like new order (you could argue most synth bands in history past the 80s have taken from NO and DM to some extent, like even if these bands weren't in a synthpop's band influences, whoever they were influenced by likely was influenced by NO and DM). For one new order still used bass and guitar which is a good part of the reason why they have the sound they do. (like i can't think of new order without Hook's "bass" lines...)

also prove to me right now popular music is not going around in circles. Prove that there is anywhere left to go, any new melodies to be written, new combinations of chord progressions to come up with, any new genres to mash up (at least with decent results) And yes this is rock music, in the sense that all of modern music evolved from rock. I should have said popular music though.

Anyway I just put on The Bones of What You Believe cause this thread. Still cant make it halfway without tearing up like some sort of pathetic teenager. did i mention its my favorite album of the past ten years? Cause it is. Like i'm trying to think of a new record that impacted me that much in that period of time and I come up empty. Despite the fact i do not do synthpop (well i tried once or twice) it got me off my ass to start recording music after years of doing next to jack shit music wise. That record alone was the incentive.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #39
Vriska Serket
Pledge

"also prove to me right now popular music is not going around in circles."

Listen to Five Starcle Men